As Good as It Gets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

As Good as It Gets Reviews

April 25, 2017
Absolutely brilliant! Hilarious. Great cutting acting. Excellent script
April 10, 2017
Jack at his miserably comical best.
½ March 18, 2017
A sharply written, finely directed, and solidly acted, but also arguably offensive, '90s romantic comedy.
February 24, 2017
More like "As Bad As It Gets".
February 22, 2017
The greatest Woody Allen film not written by Woody Allen. The film has terrifically witty dialogue but is saved by Nicholson. Melvin is a character that on paper is very hard to like, but somehow Nicholson makes you feel empathy for him despite his narcissism and mean-spiritedness. One of the all-time great romantic comedies.
February 19, 2017
As Good as it Gets is direct and co-written by James L. Brooks, and it stars Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, and Greg Kinnear in a romantic comedy about an author that is horrible to every person that he meets, whether it be a waitress with a kid that has a problem, or a gay artist, and when Melvin (Jack Nicholson) has to take care of the artist's dog, he starts to change a little. This is the first film that I've seen from James L. Brooks, which makes sense as this is one of his most highest-grossing made film, and even when watching it again, As Good as it Gets is an amazing film that never seems to get old. Jack Nicholson does a great job of being a horrible person while also being very charming at some aspects of it. Helen Hunt and Greg Kinnear are also pretty good when trying to make the best of dealing with Jack Nicholson's character, but will say what they have to say when getting him to shut up. The writing by James L. Brooks and Mark Andrus is very naturally well done in terms of the dialogue how it just flows in with the characters, and the characters are three-dimensional, especially Jack Nicholson's character which we seen how he acts, but not why he's like that, and it's kind of done in a mysterious way that it makes me want to know a bit more about him, but is ok with what they put in there in terms of characters development. Even when it's 139 minutes long, As Good as it Gets never felt that long as I was interested in the characters and the humor that it even though it may be structurally similar, it's executed in a very refreshing way that stands out as a classic film for me to rewatch.
February 1, 2017
A multi-Oscar winning romantic comedy starring Jack Nicholson as an incredible misanthropist.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 11, 2017
I thought the movie would never end. It was picking up ever so slowly and the storyline is quite a mess and over exaggerated.
December 28, 2016
Nicholson is (as always) espectacular here. Helen and Greg are also 100% fine. Amazing comedy with little dips of drama.
November 13, 2016
I Really enjoy this movie, it's on now on TV. Some great moments, feel good movie.
November 5, 2016
Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt star in As Good as It Gets. Nicholson is Melvin Udall, a successful writer who is self-absorbed, cranky and obsessive-compulsive. He does not ever miss a chance to throw out an insult and is hated by his neighbors. His closest neighbor is a gay artist Simon Bishop (Greg Kinnear) who is constantly at odds with Melvin particularly in regards to his dog. The only thing that Melvin does seem to get enjoyment out of is the breakfast that he orders every day at a local diner. He meets Carol Connelly a waitress there, and she can tolerate him at best.

Carol sacrifices all of her social life and time to take care of her son who is ill. So, insistent is Melvin in his routine that he even pays for a doctor to take care of her son, so that Carol will serve him breakfast in the morning. To thank him, the two begin forming a relationship. Meanwhile Simon is robbed and beaten severely which makes Melvin watch for his dog. Between Carol and the dog, and Simon's eventual return, Melvin goes through quite a change in his daily routine. As Good as It Gets it not really a story driven film, but it is a character driven one. It is all about relationships and development. A person's character is shown when they come across change or are afflicted with tragedy. Few movies can better capture how another person can change for the better when in love or influenced by another.

Although the film is in many ways a romantic comedy, it is not a traditional one. Carol looks for a man who is normal and her mother is quick to remind her that there is no such thing. Kinnear was endearing and he ties all the aspects of the story and characters. He was rightfully nominated for best supporting actor. Nicholson has some great lines that do not stand alone as a great quote, but they capture the scene perfectly. I think this is one of the best performances of his career. It is hard to write an encapsulate how great this film really is without watching it, because the premise or synopsis of the film really does not sound appealing. Nicholson and Hunt provide excellent performances and both deserved their Oscars for best actor and actress.

-11.5.2016
October 31, 2016
Jack Nicholson is hilariously funny as a compulsive-obsessive, homophobic romance novelist who is compelled by circumstances to get to know his gay neighbor (Greg Kinnear) and the waitress (Helen Hunt) who puts up with Nicholson's abuse over breakfast every morning.
October 1, 2016
Splendid comedy/drama with outstanding performances all around.
August 13, 2016
I hated this. Yea I said it. James L Brooks doesn't speak to me and when I feel like he's onto something then gets sidetracked by a forced romance angle, it makes me not like him and his movies more.

"D"
½ August 12, 2016
How can you not love this romantic comedy. I am a huge fan of Jack Nicholson, and just loved the character Melvin. Truly a good movie I watched twice.
July 17, 2016
An easy-to digest well-cast romance.
July 16, 2016
One of my favourite movies by Jack . Loved the wet T shirt on helen
½ June 29, 2016
88%
Watched this on 29/6/16
The only thing missing here is cliche, yes, finally a romantic comedy that doesn't make you want to throw up and all thanks in large parts to Jack Nicholson. He fits into the role perfectly. The flawless script, fantastic dialogues and performances from Helen Hint and Greg Kinnear all deserve a mention.