As Good as It Gets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

As Good as It Gets Reviews

November 24, 2017
great dialogue throughout . The ending is a little dry but everything else is top notch.
November 10, 2017
A grumpy man with OCD has to come right out of his comfort zone and the results are very funny. This is a warm and funny film about an odd trio of people who are thrown together. Oh yeah, and there's a dog.
November 9, 2017
Great characters, really well cast, some dodgy shots at points but ultimately a pretty good, feel good film.
November 3, 2017
As good as they come!
October 5, 2017
I think that by this time in his career, Jack Nicholson had really ceased trying and here he just puts in the stock quirky, snarly, nasty character we all know so well. A shame really because As Good As It Gets has a decent story with a different enough slant on the usual "RomCom" plot of two oddballs who fall for each other to make it interesting. It also has some decent laughs and some great one-liners courtesy of Mr. Nicholson. What it does lack is pace and I had largely lost interest by the mid-point. With the end ever-so-clearly in sight it just took too long to get there and I wish they'd trimmed a good 20-30 minutes of pointless fannying around as it really added nothing to the mood but frustration.
October 2, 2017
Found it slow and empty. Guess you'd really have to be into people's emotions with no action. They could have done this movie on the radio and it would have been just as entertaining.
½ September 22, 2017
A single mother and waitress, a misanthropic author with an OCD, and a gay artist form an unlikely friendship after the artist is assaulted in a robbery. Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt deliver the greatest performances, which is why they both won an Oscar in 1998. It is a good story with very hilarious moments. Verdell, the dog is one of the best things, he's so cute!! One of the best romantic comedies I've seen!
September 21, 2017
Ok movie starring Jack Nicholson.
½ August 28, 2017
As Good As It Gets pushes the viewer to the limits. Jack Nicholson?s character (Melvin) behaves inappropriately, he is offensive, and his every good deed seems to be immediately followed by something nasty. Then the film asks you to forgive him, because it is ostensibly a mental illness that he can?t control. It doesn?t help that he is surrounded by kind and loving people who contrast with him so dramatically. Every time I sit down and watch As Good As It Gets I feel like I have to strain to endure certain parts because the ?protagonist? is so vile. That being said, there are some delightful moments in this film, especially when we see slow improvement in Melvin. The scenes with the dog are all a blast, the friendship with Greg Kinnear?s character (Simon) flows brilliantly, and both have a satisfying payoff at the end. Where I have a hard time is watching Melvin?s relationship with Helen Hunt?s character (Carol). While there is a gradual decrease in animosity between Melvin and Simon, his interactions with Carol are almost like a roller coaster. It?s up and down with no seeming progression. It?s so erratic that I don?t have that warm fuzzy feeling that I should have at the end of a romantic drama, but I have an uneasy feeling that Melvin is about 5 minutes away from saying something else that will ruin everything. Then I start asking myself if Carol deserves this frustrating life. It doesn?t help that Jack Nicholson is clearly old enough that he should be dating Helen Hunt?s mother instead. Still, I can get past a lot of the odd quirks of As Good As It Gets, because there are some great scenes that remind me why I?ve watched it multiple times. That doesn?t change the fact that every time I?m done watching this movie, I feel like I don?t want to go through that all again.
August 22, 2017
The most Hilarious romantic comedy I've seen in so long with great performances by almost everyone!
August 8, 2017
This is pretty much the perfect movie - even for despisers of romantic movies (and non-fans of Jack N.) like me. Heartfelt, honest, just as much kitsch as necessary, a cute dog, interesting round characters, funny, smart, with moments to laugh, moments to cry and moments to be amazed - no Nazis, no bashing of other nations, no sex, no violence, and yet the perfect entertainment - this is the stuff that once made Hollywood great, a long, long time ago...
½ August 8, 2017
A nice movie, that made you laugh out loud at quite a few moments. Mostly about Nicholson's character. About Nicholson - such a typical role for him, obviously there is a reason why his most famous roles (and awarded ones) are anti-heroes. I had always considered Jack Nicholson as not too pretty of an actor. I assumed that he probably was fine and decent lookin guy when he was younger, but now he not really a good wine by the looks. Though, the acting is still good.
Romantic comedies are often cheesy and far from reality, and this one had quite a few moments of this sort. I especially didn't like the ending - lovely and romantic
and... meh.
All in all decent movie, but wouldn't say that it was somethig very special. Nicholson was good though.
July 17, 2017
Have we as a species matured to the point where we can admit this was overrated dog poop? As Good As It Gets was heavily promoted as a last minute contender to face Titanic at the Oscars. Not so much a Jack Nicholson vanity project, as a James L. Brooks vanity project. Brooks wanted to see what rude things he could get away with saying through the mouth of a curmudgeony writer. The problem was Jack was never given enough ammunition to be another Archie Bunker. Helen Hunt, robbed of all her Mad About You subtlety, relied on loud mouthed caricature and sweet smiles. Greg Kinnear stared...and somehow launched an undeserved career playing quirky guys who recited lines with PEP. Thankfully all this B-talent has sunk back down to where they belong in the 2010 era.
July 12, 2017
how can anyone possibly rotten tomatoe this movie? its bang on perfection
June 30, 2017
As Good As It Gets proudly stands out in the rom-com genre with a funny script and charming performances from Nicholson, Hunt, Kinnear and Gooding.
June 9, 2017
Such a beautiful movie. Jack Nicholsons performance is on top as always
June 9, 2017
1928 Was 69 Years Old In 1997.
May 28, 2017
Don't listen to the stuffy, snooty critics. Fun movie with heartwarming charater growth. A great watch.
May 20, 2017
Outstanding! Jack Nicholson, one and only, did a great job, as always!
April 25, 2017