The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Reviews

May 18, 2017
Grade - B
Although it is a bit too long, 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford' is a good Revisionist Western that features some breathtaking direction, brilliant performances and fantastic cinematography.
May 8, 2017
Slow and boring but historically interesting.
April 11, 2017
Masterful character study and motivationally driven lives which clashed at the wrong time in history. Performances were delivered by first class actors and direction. An underrated tense thriller of one of the most complex people in history versus one of the most average.
April 7, 2017
A good film but long and confusing for me to understand
April 4, 2017
Though long, this movie contains some pretty moving scenes and it's a great effort which retells the final months of Jesse James life. It's about a younger member of the notorious James Gang who becomes drawn to him but he soon fears him killing him and he thinks about doing the unthinkable. The soundtracks are moving and they're emotional and powerful. For a western, the actual gun-slinging is kept to a minimum as the movie focuses on the characters themselves. Dominik's direction is near flawless. He lingers long on shots and he captures the characters expressions and uneasiness. By using this style, he allows the characters to give near perfect performances. However, the film doesn't explore these concepts thoroughly and leaves it a bit too ambiguous. I don't like it when films spell everything out for me. Another feature the film lacks detail in is the female cast. They are insignificant and are reduced to mere cameos. When this played at the Venice film festival, it was 4 hours long. It was cut shorter since then but my issues with the length would probably be more bigger had it not been cut down. I don't think this movie is a masterpiece like many other people think but it's very close to one and it is rather underrated. If you like slower paced movies then this is for you.
March 9, 2017
I may love my barbecue meat cooked long and slow but rarely my movies. The cast is solid on paper but it lacks the high calibre acting performances needed to redeem this style of western.
February 26, 2017
One of the most amazing movies I have ever seen.
½ February 11, 2017
Wonderfully acted, beautifully shot, yet fatally long.
½ January 6, 2017
Much like its title, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is too long. It also focuses on style rather than substance. There is some remarkable cinematography in this film, and the score is hauntingly beautiful, but the plot wanders and drags and the movie suffers because of it. It may have piqued my interest about the life of Jesse James, but I doubt I'll ever watch this film again.
December 11, 2016
Can't believe it took me almost a decade to watch this great film.
½ December 6, 2016
best modern presentation of Jesse James. Also includes a great cast
Casey does and excellent job playing Robert Ford very well done and
presented
November 26, 2016
Skillfully acted. A bleak and powerful revisionist Western.
November 1, 2016
The horses walk as slow as the movie goes , complicating who's paying who a visit...the best parts when the brothers & co were in presents of Jesse James . SOMDVD
October 30, 2016
One of the best aspects of this movie is its cinematography. Some of these shots are so beautiful but equally haunting. The train lights through the trees during the train robbery was chilling and effective. The performances from the two leads, Affleck and Pitt, are what drive this movie, their relationship is what drives this movie, and the way each scene is written and shot is very well done. Other than that, it's a slow paced movie that takes its time in developing the relationship between Ford and Pitt and finally builds up to a dramatic and tragic final act.
½ October 8, 2016
One would likely find the paradoxical title of Assassination to be confusing at the least. Upon further contemplation, it is a sort of psychoanalytical point of view on the mob mentality and idolization that lead to Robert Ford's unfortunate downfall. Andrew Dominik has crafted a great period piece with some glaring flaws, but which overall does more good than bad. Cinematography is truthfully self-absorbed at times - Dominik has proclaimed himself a modernist pioneer of filmmaking, and utilizes several amateurish techniques as banal proof - but nonetheless attractive, and the soundtrack is hauntingly gorgeous. Additionally, impressive performances from both Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck (along with a host of supporting characters played by an all-star cast) elevate the film's status respectably. Not everything is perfect by far, and the over-long runtime certainly kills things somewhat, but all in all Assassination is an intricate, if disappointingly shallow study of a paranoiac outlaw driven by distrust.
October 7, 2016
underrated and what a terrific supporting cast
½ September 30, 2016
The only film in recent memory that demonstrates the visual and aural power of a cinema without any special effects. Its only special effect is its unforgettable photography and a haunting musical score with confident filmmaking, complex performances, displaying some of the most memorable scenes in cinema.
September 20, 2016
amazing movie to watch!!
September 11, 2016
While a tad long winded, other remarkable aspects on filmmaking more than make up for it.
½ September 8, 2016
Phenomenally beautiful. Not moody but a combination of moods between the James' paranoia and the Ford's sycophantic worshipping added to by the sublime cinematography and soundtrack.