The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Reviews

November 5, 2017
One of the best movies ever made. Period
½ October 24, 2017
Well that was a slow burner.
½ October 6, 2017
A slow-burn Western rather than an action-packed one, The Assassination is a truly fantastic experience. Instead of keeping the audience in the dark, the film intentionally gives away the climax of the film in the title and focuses on what happens before and after the titular assassination. I never thought I'd live to see a movie where Casey Affleck outshines Brad Pitt, but then I saw this movie. Pitt is great as Jesse James, but Affleck is simply perfect as Robert Ford.
September 21, 2017
it's a massive chore clocking in at 2 hours and 47 min but it shows some of the best acting from Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck
it is a truly authentic period piece portraying how one man looks up to a legendary figure of the Old West
it's film about hero worship yet Robert Ford learns how Jesse James actually operates as it goes along to the point of becoming paranoid
who's the real villain?
September 18, 2017
Excellent period dialogue and fine performances move this piece along at an unhurried, stately pace. The costumes, cinematography and everything else is top notch. Superb cast. Highly recommended.
September 11, 2017
Flawless Cinematography
September 3, 2017
I love westerns (thanks to my Dad :) ) and I can forgive a lot in a bad western but THIS western... omg .... somebody please end my misery! I waited and waited and waited and fell asleep waiting. The only positive thing I got out of this western was the great hour nap I took.. Sorry Brad.. But I LOVED Legends Of The Fall!
August 27, 2017
If handled thoughtlessly, folklore can be more than just a harmless way to pass the time. It's often birthed out of lies, which can beget legends, which will beget more lies. Even the title of this astoundingly beautiful film is misleading, & that's the point. It's an incredible critique of heroes & villains, & of empty-fame. A potent mixture of quiet western scenery, impeccable performances (maybe Pitt's greatest ever), shockingly gorgeous dialogue, & an intense story of uncertainty and anger.
August 27, 2017
Interesting approach to the story of the famous robber of bank and trains, killer of man and woman, symbol of the wild west Jesse James. Calm, deep, powerful, realistic, intricate. Very solid performances. Not a must see but a should see.
August 21, 2017
Watchable film but very slow and drawn out. Given the stellar cast it could have been so much more than it was!
August 16, 2017
Far to long for myself and most viewers I would assuse but excellently acted and far more heart felt than most.
July 26, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. The acting is astounding, the cinematography was astounding, the story has amazing character development. It's also a great commentary on human nature, the desire to be know and famous, and the population that determines who obtains such fame, as viewed from a historical standpoint yet still so relevant today. It's a slower paced movie, but that's why I loved it. So few movies take the time to journey the audience with characters. It was like a novel on screen. Breathtakingly beautiful.
½ July 16, 2017
Slow in a good way. Very contemplative look at the last few months of Jesse James and his gang
½ July 1, 2017
The slow burning story unravels a character in Robert Ford that far surpasses the infamously large font name in the title.
June 28, 2017
Fantastic Western. Dour and pensive. It's a very human story so it's hard to completely hate Afflecks character. Same as it's hard to to completely sympathise with Pitt. That's what I love about it, just how flawed these people are.
½ June 7, 2017
Slow and long and beautiful. Too long honestly. Cinematography is solid and left an impression. The stacked cast of talented actors lent the film weight. Interesting tale about the beloved (and psychotic) outlaw and the guy who ended up stopping him and in effect destroying his own life as well. Good film, but doubt I'll watch it again simply due to it being too slow and long.
May 18, 2017
Grade - B
Although it is a bit too long, 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford' is a good Revisionist Western that features some breathtaking direction, brilliant performances and fantastic cinematography.
May 8, 2017
Slow and boring but historically interesting.
April 11, 2017
Masterful character study and motivationally driven lives which clashed at the wrong time in history. Performances were delivered by first class actors and direction. An underrated tense thriller of one of the most complex people in history versus one of the most average.
April 7, 2017
A good film but long and confusing for me to understand