The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Reviews

August 16, 2017
Far to long for myself and most viewers I would assuse but excellently acted and far more heart felt than most.
July 26, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. The acting is astounding, the cinematography was astounding, the story has amazing character development. It's also a great commentary on human nature, the desire to be know and famous, and the population that determines who obtains such fame, as viewed from a historical standpoint yet still so relevant today. It's a slower paced movie, but that's why I loved it. So few movies take the time to journey the audience with characters. It was like a novel on screen. Breathtakingly beautiful.
½ July 16, 2017
Slow in a good way. Very contemplative look at the last few months of Jesse James and his gang
½ July 1, 2017
The slow burning story unravels a character in Robert Ford that far surpasses the infamously large font name in the title.
June 28, 2017
Fantastic Western. Dour and pensive. It's a very human story so it's hard to completely hate Afflecks character. Same as it's hard to to completely sympathise with Pitt. That's what I love about it, just how flawed these people are.
½ June 7, 2017
Slow and long and beautiful. Too long honestly. Cinematography is solid and left an impression. The stacked cast of talented actors lent the film weight. Interesting tale about the beloved (and psychotic) outlaw and the guy who ended up stopping him and in effect destroying his own life as well. Good film, but doubt I'll watch it again simply due to it being too slow and long.
June 4, 2017
Watchable film but very slow and drawn out. Given the stellar cast it could have been so much more than it was!
May 18, 2017
Grade - B
Although it is a bit too long, 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford' is a good Revisionist Western that features some breathtaking direction, brilliant performances and fantastic cinematography.
May 8, 2017
Slow and boring but historically interesting.
April 11, 2017
Masterful character study and motivationally driven lives which clashed at the wrong time in history. Performances were delivered by first class actors and direction. An underrated tense thriller of one of the most complex people in history versus one of the most average.
April 7, 2017
A good film but long and confusing for me to understand
April 4, 2017
Though long, this movie contains some pretty moving scenes and it's a great effort which retells the final months of Jesse James life. It's about a younger member of the notorious James Gang who becomes drawn to him but he soon fears him killing him and he thinks about doing the unthinkable. The soundtracks are moving and they're emotional and powerful. For a western, the actual gun-slinging is kept to a minimum as the movie focuses on the characters themselves. Dominik's direction is near flawless. He lingers long on shots and he captures the characters expressions and uneasiness. By using this style, he allows the characters to give near perfect performances. However, the film doesn't explore these concepts thoroughly and leaves it a bit too ambiguous. I don't like it when films spell everything out for me. Another feature the film lacks detail in is the female cast. They are insignificant and are reduced to mere cameos. When this played at the Venice film festival, it was 4 hours long. It was cut shorter since then but my issues with the length would probably be more bigger had it not been cut down. I don't think this movie is a masterpiece like many other people think but it's very close to one and it is rather underrated. If you like slower paced movies then this is for you.
March 9, 2017
I may love my barbecue meat cooked long and slow but rarely my movies. The cast is solid on paper but it lacks the high calibre acting performances needed to redeem this style of western.
February 26, 2017
One of the most amazing movies I have ever seen.
½ February 11, 2017
Wonderfully acted, beautifully shot, yet fatally long.
½ January 6, 2017
Much like its title, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is too long. It also focuses on style rather than substance. There is some remarkable cinematography in this film, and the score is hauntingly beautiful, but the plot wanders and drags and the movie suffers because of it. It may have piqued my interest about the life of Jesse James, but I doubt I'll ever watch this film again.
December 11, 2016
Can't believe it took me almost a decade to watch this great film.
½ December 6, 2016
best modern presentation of Jesse James. Also includes a great cast
Casey does and excellent job playing Robert Ford very well done and
presented
November 26, 2016
Skillfully acted. A bleak and powerful revisionist Western.
November 1, 2016
The horses walk as slow as the movie goes , complicating who's paying who a visit...the best parts when the brothers & co were in presents of Jesse James . SOMDVD