At Close Range - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

At Close Range Reviews

January 10, 2017
At Close Range is one of them movies that uses the old scenario of people drinking out of beer cans, and having dinner with 4 people around the table, talking about things should be in some circumstances. The movie works. It is by far one of my favorite movies of 1986.
½ October 21, 2016
Sean Penn stars as a rural kid who has grown up without knowing his father. Christopher Walken is that father, who shows up one day, freshly out of jail. Dad runs a small gang of very successful thieves. Penn sees his dad as a way out of his humdrum existence and starts spending more time over there, learning how to make money by plying his dad's trade. An unpleasant incident teaches him how big the cost can be of hanging around his dad's friends, so Sean backs away. However, he's arrested and subpoenaed by a Grand Jury, leading to his dad wanting to clean up all loose ends, including his son. This is a magnificent film. Slow and atmospheric, but with a constant tension and sense of foreboding that keeps you right with it. It also has a phenomenal cast ... Tracey Walter, David Strathairn and Candy Clark are in Walken's gang ... Penn's buddies include Chris Penn (playing his brother), Mary Stuart Masterson, Kiefer Sutherland, Crispin Glover and Stephen Geoffreys. The film was made at the beginning of Penn's marriage to Madonna, so the song "Live to Tell" was given to the filmmakers. It's used over the end credits, but a small portion of the melody is used repeatedly throughout the film as it's soundtrack. It's a beautiful touch that enhances the atmosphere of melancholy fatalism.
May 22, 2016
A bleak true story about a young man who seeks to follow in his criminal father's footsteps and learns that it is not always good to be a chip off the old block. Penn was great in one of his early roles, and this was perhaps Walken's finest performance ever.
February 13, 2016
Have to say it was either regularly boring, or Sean Penn looked bored acting his part. But Christopher Walken saved it I guess.
January 7, 2016
I saw this on TV last night (1-6-2015) and was shocked at how great it was and I had never heard of this. Based on a true story was the thing that caught my eye, and this movie is so worth seeing. Hard to imagine these things happen and that some do not have a conscience and could do this to their own
½ November 13, 2015
A film I knew little about, but with such a magnificent cast I had to give it a go. Based on a true story. A dad, doing all sorts of crimes, get's a sudden bonding with his two sons as they are in their early twenties or so. This results in shooting, drugs and several other crimes.

A solid story that is taking nice turns. It's superbly acted by both Sean Penn and Walken in particular. It looks all right and it got some great scenes. Sadly, it's not all that as a whole. Not a constant thrill and it's not super interesting at times. I miss some realer emotions. With that said, it's very realistic - a good feature.

I believe it's the first time I see a song and it's performer starting of the ending credits. A pretty weird touch, even if it was a hit and Madonna was Penn's wife and all.

6.5 out of 10 windscreen wipers.
October 30, 2015
At Close Range is definitely an underrated crime drama from the 80's. Having top notch actors such as Sean Penn and Walken, you could really feel the drama, the manipulation of Walken and the undying goal of his father's approval who left his family years before. Its a sad tale of love and control, at least integrity is not lost with the protagonist. Definitely an enjoyable film, that shows a real ugly side of family.
½ October 6, 2015
Great concept that was well acted all around. It had me wishing that director stuck to one tone throughout. It had the potential to be something greater than it was.
½ August 15, 2015
A decent flick with a very young Sean Penn, and Walken, as usual, was fantastic...
½ August 2, 2015
An underrated classic headlined by one of Sean Penn's best performances and Chris Walken at his evil best. Walken really should have won another supporting actor Oscar for this role. He nailed this role so good and is so perfect in this movie. This also has a great supporting cast and classic of a theme song by Madonna.
½ July 18, 2015
This had really great performances in it, but this movie just seemed to drag on too long for me. By the time the ending came, I already stopped caring. Still, lots of people liked this movie, I am just not one of them.
March 22, 2015
The two leads deliver big on a story of unimaginable betrayal.
December 5, 2014
Solid performances from Penn and Walken, though the pacing is a bit slow.
½ August 20, 2014
One of the more underrated thrillers of it's time, this is a dark jewel of a drama, with first-rate performances.
June 22, 2014
Some of the best acted and directed scenes in cinema history...
½ March 5, 2014
not all it was hyped up to me, but i did enjoy most it.
½ December 28, 2013
Baseado em factos reais, "At Close Range" aborda a história de uma família white-trash como uma saga de crime de nervos à flor-da-pele. Christopher Walken e Sean Penn oferecem o melhor de si em papéis de enorme presença, mas falta ao filme de James Foley a profundidade e a consistência necessárias para que as suas duas horas evitassem uma mão-cheia de cenas que caem no saco roto. O instrumental de "Live to Tell", a canção de Madonna que é o tema principal do filme, toca mais vezes do que seria suportável, mas "At Close Range" tem categoria suficiente para merecer a oportunidade. Tem o melhor bigode de Christopher Walken também.
½ December 15, 2013
One of Sean Penn's finest moments... and Chris Walken rules!
½ October 2, 2013
Based on a horrible and very tragic real life family and their criminal father. This was totally brilliant and deserves repeat viewings just for the performances alone.