Avengers: Age of Ultron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avengers: Age of Ultron Reviews

½ April 17, 2018
beastly awesome. phenomenal action and very funny. went deeper into some of the characters and had a psychological aspect to them. awesome continuation of the mcu storyline. bad-ass, interesting and different villain (6 viewings)
April 17, 2018
What's so AGE about it? They could've came up with a better subtitle. Ultron with sense of humor, I would say it's okay. Taken out Hank Pym being the original creator of Ultron. Instead, making Tony Stark and Bruce Banner the creators of Ultron. Jarvis becoming Vision is pretty good. Hate the fact the Quicksilver died in this movie. He could have been part of Civil War and Infinity War. Although it's a good movie!
April 15, 2018
It may not quite live up to the high standard set by its predecessor, but Age of Ultron delivers the superb set pieces that fans demand without losing track of the heroes' humanity.
April 14, 2018
(81/100)
Avengers: Age of Ultron is a spectacular movie and has some stunning visuals and plot details. But the villain, Ultron (James Spader), doesn't feel compelling and Avengers: Age of Ultron has, yet again, a huge army of disposable things. Marvel's The Avengers, Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy had this too. *SPOILER* Although an Avenger finally dies for once it isn't that heavy on the plot and it doesn't feel heavy either. Quicksilver (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) was only introduced in Captain America: The Winter Soldier and only had 30 seconds in the movie. This time around he is actually in the movie but you don't really connect with him as much. CGI wasn't perfect (especially on the disposable robot army). But the movie does continue the characters' story in a good way and lets us know about some of their biggest fears which make them even more compelling. Overall Avengers: Age of Ultron was maybe not what everyone was hoping for and may have even disappointed some people, but it is not a bad movie and it is even pretty good. The movie is a more than solid entry in the MCU.
½ April 14, 2018
I've seen this movie 3 times already. I enjoyed it very much. Of course like any Marvel Cinematic Universe film, it has plenty of corny material. But you have to take it as what it is. It's alot of fun, and getting to see all of these comic book characters on the big screen really brings out the kid and imagination in me. I loved getting to see the VIsion in this film. He was my favorite character. They also did a really good job of putting Hawkeye into more of the view and giving depth to his character that we previously hadn't gotten. All of the actors have become really good at playing their respective characters. The MCU franchise has consistently been putting out pretty good movies. At this rate I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming films.

Step into the future where Avengers Infintiy War is two weeks out, going back and watching all of the movies back to back in order. This movie isn't as good as I remember. At the time it was new, but after comparing it with the whole thing, this movie felt like alot of just adding to plots that go beyond this movie alone. They gave Hawkeye a family, developed a Hulk/Black Widow love connection, added three new avengers to the team, and gave the idea of impending doom in the future. I think Ultron is one of the weaker MCU villains unfortunately. They tried to make him tell jokes and I feel like that was a bad creative move. All and all though this movie is still alot of fun. And Vision still kicks ass.
½ April 14, 2018
this movie was awesome
April 12, 2018
Not as good as the original but still great.
½ April 11, 2018
worthy sequel that, in most ways, harshly magnifies the first film's outlandish visuals and resplendent theatrics. thor's brute force is yet again expediently debased and a lifeless black widow-hulk romance makes poorly-argued stagecraft. yet the action scenes are the most spectacular of its time, previously unimaginable in motion pictures. new characters consume the panoply to the absolute brim. writer-director whedon has amazing ability to humanize people struggling to be deities. it makes even the original, actually quite good, look like vainglory.
April 10, 2018
Entertaining sequel that does a lot of things better than the original but also some things worse. Joss Whedon crafts another character-driven action film with some of the best scenes once again being when the characters are just talking to each other (the ones at the party & the farm are standouts). Unfortunately, this film seems over-stuffed with characters & plot, with some distracting setups for future films. Where the original "Avengers" was a brilliant conclusion to the 'Phase 1' films with any setup for future films coming naturally out of the plot, 'Age of Ultron' has some that seem forced into (the Thor dream sequence is particularly distracting). Also, there is a left-field romance that doesn't quite work. Thankfully, there are improvements on the original, such as Hawkeye being fleshed out (his back story makes you care about him like never before) & the action remains top-notch (in a nice touch from the original, the Avengers are once again shown caring about civilians casualties & taking steps to prevent them, something Michael Bay & Zack Snyder can learn from). The cast is excellent, with banter between them being the highlights (you could watch these actors argue over Thor's hammer or Cap's aversion to foul language all day) with the new additions holding up well. The standout is Ultron, who through combination of James Spader's excellent voice & performance acting along with some brilliant visual effects, Marvel has crafted one of their best villains yet, with the right combination of snarkiness, menace & even sympathy (there are moments you will actually feel sorry for him). Overall, while not better than the original or even the best Marvel film (that's still "Guardians of the Galaxy"), this is still an extremely satisfying film that will have fans walking away happy.
½ April 8, 2018
Not as good as the original but the chemistry between the team and the additions of Vision/Scarlet Witch are superb. 84/100
April 6, 2018
great follow up to the avengers
April 2, 2018
Age of Ultron is a new enjoyable adventure with a familiar team a little bit deeper and bigger. Still, another thing that is very familiar in this movie is it's structure - not exactly something new.
April 2, 2018
This movie had good special effect and visually nice to look at. It also had a lot of superheros.
April 1, 2018
While not as magical as the first avengers or as tightly told as winter soldier, Age of Ultron is a great time at the movies and furthers the build of a universe more and more filled with great characters and amazing visuals
April 1, 2018
I liked the idea of addressing collateral damage made by super heros, and the misery left behind for the common folk.
½ March 31, 2018
Meh, its like the first one but with a boring villain and slow plot, the things feel out of place.
still is and ok movie
March 28, 2018
I fell asleep because the story is dull and unoriginal.
It's one thing to please comics fans with constant references to other movies and characters that have evolved over several movies. That movie does that, with good directing and well made special effects - so I understand some people liked it. But that they loved it... really ?
Many movies recently have been about self references so much they forget to have an original story. An artificial intelligence that wants to wipe out humanity ? That is a lame pitch in 2018, the most unoriginal idea I've seen in a Marvel movie for 3 years. It's been done so many times, and so much better than that 2 hours long trailer.
Because yes, it felt like a trailer, it is clearly a transition to the next franchise, the end of the movie confirms it... And seriously, the next avengers don't seem to have half the charisma of a Robert Downey, a Chris Evans, or the other Chris, so far.
I love listening to Robert Downey talking once in a while, but in this movie, they all talk so much, but seem so tired, even Robert shows little charisma... And they are supposed to sound smart, but... No, sorry, that movie is not smart, it's only convoluted.
½ March 28, 2018
This movie right from the start had a lot to live up to. The first Avengers movie was universally praised as the best comic team up movie of all time. Does their second outing together live up to the hype? Or were the critics right when this movie first came out and called this movie a repeat? While not perfect, I think this movie is far better than a lot of people give it credit for.

While some of the criticisms made about this movie when it was first released are well deserved, I don't think it is as bad as everyone lets on. I had a lot of fun re-watching this movie and it was differently better than I remembered it. From great villain casting, to amazing battles, this movie had a lot to offer.

I'll start with Ultron. Now, Ultron is my favorite marvel comic villain so there was a lot riding on this character to be good. I'll say it straight off the bat, he was not the Ultron I loved from the comics. This really took away from the movie the first time I watched it, but after seeing it again and knowing he was his own character, I really enjoyed him. James Spader was perfect for this role. His menacing character and charm really gave Ultron a level of intellectual villainy that we hadn't seen before. You felt his presence every time he was on screen. He wasn't on screen that often which wasn't great, I think to really flesh out the character more, he needed maybe another 10-15 minutes screen time. His origin was very rushed and his motives, while obvious, lacked depth.

Another great point in the movie was the Hulk vs hulkbuster battle. When the Iron Man 3 trailer was released, we got a clip of what appeared to be the hulkbuster, this ended up being just another pointless Iron Man suit. This movie didn't play around, this was the hulkbuster armor we had been waiting for. The fight with it in action against the Hulk was fantastic. He showed the true strength of both Hulk and Tony's armor. CGI was fantastic and the reasoning behind the fight felt earned. It wasn't just angry hulk against angry Tony, it was Tony trying to help his friend who was under mind control. It was a great character moment for both of them.

The introduction of the new characters was also really good to see. While short lived, I enjoyed Quick Silver and his relationship with his sister, Wanda. Their origin was obviously completely different from the comics but I feel it fitted into the world of the MCU. The Vision was also fantastic, his speech to the Avengers when he is first created, really shows who he is as a "person" and lets you know his values straight away. The only problem I had with the new characters was that their powers were never really explained. They all got something from the mind gem, but how did it give the twins their different powers? What did it do for Vision? And if it was from Loki's septor, what happened to the mind control aspect of it?

Now as I said at the beginning, this movie wasn't perfect and the big problem everyone seems to have with it, and I agree, is the Thor subplot. I understand that they needed a way to tie this into Thanos and the Infinity stones, but the fact that Thor just got a vision from Scarlett witch and then he knows about the Infinity gems being used around the galaxy, didn't make any sense. I thought Scarlett's visions were of a persons own mind, not showing them a greater understanding of the universe, or even the future? It just didn't work for me!

While the final battle scene was very cool and the stakes felt high, the fact that it was another mass army of drones destroying a city definitely felt like the first Avengers movie all over again. I wanted to see Ultron bots fighting the Avengers simultaneously, giving each of them a run for their money. This never happened and they just ended up fighting nameless robots. When the helicarrier showed up to help however, I did gasp more than a little.

Verdict: MINOR SURGERY

While far from a perfect movie, it definitely doesn't deserve the criticism people have given it is recent years. James Spader was fantastic, if not a under used, and the battles between all the characters looked great. I wouldn't say this was an essential watch, but I would certainly say it's a fun watch.

David.
March 27, 2018
Arguably the best Marvel Movie yet.
March 25, 2018
The action is bigger and better than ever, but the story and pacing have a few flaws. A lot of the creation of Ultron seemed rushed. And some of the slower scenes really dragged, especially those taking place at the safe house. Too much was overwhelmingly confusing, but I love the way JARVIS was used to created the Vision. Paul Bettany is the perfect choice for one of my favorite superheroes! Aside from the few flaws, this movie was a good time with higher stakes than the Marvel Universe has seen up to this point.