Avengers: Age of Ultron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Avengers: Age of Ultron Reviews

½ February 19, 2018
"Age of Ultron" is a building block to something bigger, while the original "Avengers" was a grande finale. With that said, it isn't as impactful as the first one, but it sure is great to see this team of superheroes together again.
½ February 17, 2018
Really enjoyed this movie. Served as a good sequel. Not quite as good as the first. Still very enjoyable, like most Marvel movies.
½ February 16, 2018
Buena película tiene buenos efectos un buen villano una de las mejores peliculas de marvel y de superhéroes
½ February 16, 2018
Another solid entry for the Marvel universe. The first Avengers film skirted the line between pure action and story fairly well. I felt it tilted slightly on the side of a little too much action. However, it is a movie based on comic books.

In the comics, the Avengers have some very intricate stories. Not all of them are wildly unique. But many are.

Age of Ultron is more of the Avengers with some added wrinkles. Wrinkles such as Banner/Widow, Quicksilver/Witch, Mostly no Shield, bad guy created by the Avengers, and the Hawkeye back-story. These wrinkles are overlaid on top of the basic overall arc of: Threat pops up, Avengers save the world (After pummeling said threat, and looking good doing it). They're enough to get us interested once again in this rich universe.

The lower ratings on RottenTomatoes are interesting since this film matches the quality of the first in every way and exceeds it in character development for the original Avengers. It just doesn't have the ability to reproduce the novel experience of all of these heroes (actors) being on the big screen at the same time. For the first time. Where it might fall down a bit is the development of the twins' and Ultron's backstory. Rather than have the twins verbally explain why they are motivated the way they are, the movie might have wanted to show some scenes with them in that situation. This would emotionally invest the audience more when it comes to the twins. As for Ultron: "I'm created? This is wrong. Hey, I'm a bad guy everybody!" It's very possible I'm missing something about Ultron's creation and motivation. But I feel if that's the case that it is not clear.

The film also takes a detour into Wakanda (to setup a future film) and then rolls right into Hulk-Buster stuff. Not sure this whole detour was needed. The Hulk can be a little much to take in prolonged action sequences.

Overall, this is a very high-quality movie with enough story to clearly separate it from mindless action.

With that said, it's not certain how much more of this Avengers formula audiences (who are not sweaty nerds) will put up with. Up until now, the Avengers have been very appealing to mainstream audiences. As we move on to new movies for new characters and Infinity Wars, I wonder what will mainstream (read non-nerd) moviegoers think about the Marvel Cinematic Universe then. The MCU has been wildly successful up to now. In my humble opinion though, the MCU stands upon the edge of a knife (to quote Galadriel). Mainstream moviegoers may not care to have to follow a plethora of new characters, especially if they are replacing older ones. "Who is this guy?" "When did that happen?" "Why is Grimace trying to take over the universe with Happy Meal jewelry?" Marvel has to make sure they tell unique stories. Stories about characters audiences care about.

Captain America 3: Civil War can be such a story.
½ February 15, 2018
It might not be as special as The Avengers, but Age Of Ultron still manages to be an enjoyably fun experience,
February 14, 2018
As much as Loved the first one, this one is bit Meh... So its good, but it wont beat the first Avengers
February 13, 2018
Not as solid as the first movie, but succeeds at setting the stage for Infinity War. Some weak dialogues once in awhile. The Hulk and Black Widow dynamic is super awkward and seems unnatural. Captain America does well. Hawk is good in here
February 13, 2018
Marvel at it's best - this 'assembly' of characters works.
½ February 10, 2018
I have quite a bit to say about this sequel. While holding strong themes, the plot was all over the place. The film had at least 10 main plots while the original held about 2, a lot of the plot points were short and wasted. Vision was introduced abruptly and other big movie arcs were cancelled out by unnecessary ones. However the action and CG were very strong and the movie deserves 74%.
February 8, 2018
A lot of this is better then the First Avengers!!!
½ February 5, 2018
After I watched this movie I finally understood what is a good director. The most amazing thing about this movie is that it has like 10 main characters and every one of them gets their own moment, their own private scene, you can feel each of them, undestand them. This is totally amazing that in 2 hour movie you can show over 10 characters that well. I'm totally amazed by the director. This is the reason I give it a 9! The stories of all main characters were amazing!
February 3, 2018
The second instalment of the Avengers is an action heavy, but overall, disappointing entry in the franchise. There is a lot of good comedic elements and strong character moments, especially Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Captain America. There is many more action sequences than the first movie, but this payoff does not work. The movie feels too long and drawn out at times throughout. Ultron is an underwhelming villain, which isn't new for the MCU. After the standout performance of Tom Hiddlestone as Loki in the first movie, any new villain was going to have a tough time filling his shoes. The movie does a good job of showing some of the internal conflict within the team, but by the end their teamwork is needed to defeat Ultron. However, this is often overshadowed with the introduction of new characters, who are not disinteresting compared to the original Avengers team. Comic book fans may have an easier time staying interested as they will be more invested and familiar with the characters; but for general moviegoers, it may be difficult to connect with the large team of heroes. Overall, Age of Ultron is a lot funnier and action packed than the first Avengers, but is a little too long with a disappointing villain and underdeveloped new characters.
½ February 3, 2018
This is an enjoyable movie, but is way too heavy handed with the "muh diversity" bits that totally ruin it. Otherwise the action is good, but the story is really weak.
February 3, 2018
Avengers is the best thing to ever happen to the super hero genre. Just awesome to see them face Ultron. Wish we could have more films from Avengers before Infinity war. But this one starts you out in the middle of the action and never stops. Can't miss film for any marvel comics fan.
February 2, 2018
Curse of sequels. Or curse of set ups. Whatever the case, it doesn't live up to the usual standard of Marvel. It does set up important plots for all the films later on like Vision and Civil War, which probably restrained much of the direction and screen time for this film. It's unfortunate. Visuals, color grading, villain, and more were all problematic. I am one of few that did not enjoy Hawkeye's family scene except for that 30 second dialogue exchange between Tony and Cap. But most importantly, it lacks a creative method in bringing down the generic villain. Fight dynamics were pretty boring. This is one assemble that worries me of Infinity War that's coming.
½ February 2, 2018
Another rubbish fighting with android and gods
February 2, 2018
This was rather run of the mill, but was still entertaining for what it was. It felt like its existing purpose is to be that obligatory sequel while using it as a vehicle to introduce even more heroes. Ultron was slightly a notch above being a dull villain; however the grand battles with a robotic army had it's moments of fun as we watch the team do its thing. It's always nice to see characters we've grown to enjoy partake in a teamwork activity like thwarting a plan of destruction .
January 31, 2018
The movie equivalent of taking all your action figures and smashing them together, Avengers: Age of Ultron is probably the most underrated film in the MCU. The victim of too much hype and impossibly high expectations, it obviously fails to meet those expectations. Despite that, it's actually a fantastic movie. The acting, action, and CGI are all incredible, the story is simple but good, and the script is great. Paul Bettany was the perfect choice for Vision, and the smooth silky voice of James Spader makes Ultron the most underrated villain in the MCU. Andy Serkis gives surprisingly good, albeit brief, performance as Ulysses Klaue. It couldn't live up to the first Avengers, but Age of Ultron is great anyway.
January 29, 2018
age of ultron is a good sequel ,the visuals were ok but i find it a bit long in terms of runtime
January 29, 2018
while "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a step back from the previous Avengers movie, it has enough action, a good cast, great special effects. Despite a weak villain and the extremely quick montage of creating Ultron, "Avengers: Age of Ultron is a solid follow to it's predecessor and another box office success.