An Awfully Big Adventure Reviews

• Sep 05, 2020

Based on Beryl Bainbridge's title of the same title which is a nod to J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan, Mike Newell tells a teenage girl's coming of age and sexual awakening when working backstage at a postwar Liverpool theatrical troupe with wry poignancy and bleakness.

• Jan 29, 2020

Considering the source material and cast this film was an awfully big disappointment.

• Nov 07, 2013

Dull and drawn out. Nothing happens for the first 95% of the movie, and then everything happens at the end. The conclusion is so swift and left-field it is like you're watching another movie. Pacing is ridiculously bad. Title is very inappropriate, as it implies an adventure story or at least a comedy. It is nothing of the sort. Good performance by Alan Rickman in the lead role. Hugh Grant plays the bad guy, and does it well. Georgina Cates is OK as Stella.

• Jan 12, 2013

Quite well done except for the ending

Quite well done except for the ending

• Jun 08, 2012

Alan Rickman was brilliant in this film (he's mainly the reason why I watched this in the first place). Slow-paced and becomes a bit dull at some parts but I still believe it was well worth watching. What a plot twist!

• Apr 05, 2012

Sick & sad. I love most of the films that Alan Rickman are in, but this one was uncomfortable... which translate to good work from the director's and actors stand points.

• Jun 25, 2011

I Love Alan Rickman, But.... this Movie Was WEIRD.

I Love Alan Rickman, But.... this Movie Was WEIRD.

• Apr 16, 2011

interesting play within the movie centers around a group of amateur actors who try to put on a play in post WWII britian.

• Dec 28, 2010

A very strange movie, one that I didn't enjoy very much until Rickman came in around 50 minutes. But then it got odd, in a good way. The nudity was completely uncensored and some of the jokes completely inappropriate, but I loved them. The scenes between Rickman and Cates were amazing, for I love the plot of one finding a person who truly appreciates them. The final discovery is somewhat expected, but no less heartbreaking. The trauma that shone on Rickman's face after the discovery is beautiful. I am left somewhat believing that the end is not an accident. This was a movie that is not very enjoyable to watch until it comes to a head and gets to the point. While I would likely not watch it again for the theatrical tidbits, I would gladly view the scenes between Rickman and Cates over again. 6.7/10.

• Nov 02, 2010

Bittersweet is right. Good movie, superb cast.

Bittersweet is right. Good movie, superb cast.