Back to the Future - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Back to the Future Reviews

Page 1 of 2044
October 18, 2016
A classic that'll never die. Full of smart comedy, great performances, awesome directing (as always), and incredible effects that still look great today.
October 14, 2016
Definitely a worthy classic movie.
October 11, 2016
Do I even need to say anything? This movie is just so much fun. You're making your life worse by not seeing it.
October 3, 2016
Very amazing characters, very funny and it's fun as hell. I mean come on it's Back To The Future. How can you not enjoy this movie??
September 25, 2016
Great fun time travel movie
September 24, 2016
The cast, the score, the plot, and the hilarious interplay and situations all contribute to Back to the Future's status as a pop culture classic.
September 24, 2016
Timeless time-travel adventure with perfect casting of Michael J Fox, who in real life goes back in time in part 2 to change his girlfriend into Elisabeth Shue! .....Oh, that may not be the story though ??
September 23, 2016
aye that's pretty good
September 23, 2016
Legitimately one of the best movies ever made. The script, aside from its awkward last 5 minutes, is perfect and is a great example of how to develop characters early on and create a movie where every scene serves a purpose in some regard. It's consistently funny, the action scenes make sense and are innovative and the acting by both leads is admirable given the subject of the film. Just a great movie.
September 22, 2016
Capped by a fantastic finish, 'Back to the Future' is still fun after all these years. Everyone at their best makes for a cosmic reality that is hard to duplicate.
September 16, 2016
Since my early days of childhood, Back to the Future has been one of my favorite and most enjoyable movie experiences. It's one of those movies where there's not one wrong note and everything comes together perfectly. The cast is genuine and wonderful and everyone gives top notch performances, even the under-credited Crispin Glover. Christopher Lloyd is just fantastic, as always. And I can't go by without giving Michael J. Fox props, because he's one of my all time heroes from film and television. Thankfully the film still looks fresh thanks to the cinematography of Dean Cundey. Sure the story's dated by being set in the 1980's, but I think the subject matter is very forgiving of that. I also can't go by without mentioning the film's score. It's absolutely phenomenal, and epic in scale for a film that's not really all that epic. It really doesn't need it but yet it can't live without it. It's just one of those magical pieces of music that blends incredibly-well into the fabric of the film. Overall, it's just a fantastic slice of filmmaking with an overall classic feel that somehow makes it timeless and forever accessible to audiences all over the world.
September 13, 2016
A highly entertaining adventure that puts you right in the middle of the situation. Brilliantly written with excellent acting comradery. Back to the Future is one of the best pop culture pieces of the 1980s.
September 12, 2016
Brilliant and still awesome after 30 years
September 10, 2016
Great Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ September 8, 2016
It's a very original story idea that was put onto the screen really well.
September 6, 2016
Dude. Back to the Future is cool. Like really cool. It is one of the few movies I have seen that is effortlessly fun and fascinating. It's not afraid to be weird or ridiculous. It embraces its wacky, eccentric spirit and its time-traveling, Plutonium stealing premise and complements both with a lot of style. It is bursting with young, hip energy. It's a very fast, ultra-cool adventure that is anchored by its dynamite leading duo, the charming slacker, Marty McFly, and the crazed inventor, Dr. Brown. Their odd friendship is engaging and they lead a crew of amusing, energetic characters. Dr. Brown is an especially funny character with his odd idiosyncrasies, theatrical expressions and ridiculous lines ("Great Scott!", "It's the Lybian Nationalists").

It is breathtaking to watch as a stylistic and aesthetic experience. Marty spends most of the film running around with his puffy red vest and flashy Nike shoes, jumping in and out of the sleek DeLorean sports car that just happens to leave flaming tire tracks when it travels through time. It's colorful and creative and meticulously detailed. It's filled with vibrant vintage costumes, classic cars, dated slang, pop-culture references and amusing period detail that constantly disorients Marty as he tries to get back to the present. Back to the Future alternates between the ultra-hip 80's and the classic, wholesome 50's. It was really fun for me to see how the town, fashion and cars change over 30 years and the sets are designed to contrast those two distinct time periods in a brilliant manner.

That doesn't even scratch the surface though. Part of the film's brilliance is its infinitely intriguing story and idea. First off, the film is obsessed with time. It continually focuses on clocks and watches, the societal changes between the two generations and Marty always forgets what time it is. Time is also crucial to the time-traveling experiment and the only way Marty can save himself is to run the DeLorean past a clock-tower at a specific point in time. The story itself is fascinating. Marty accidentally travels back in time to avoid death, only to meet his mother and father the very week his parents are supposed to meet. His mom gets a crush on him and his father is a total dweeb. He has to fix the past he meddled with so that he can return to the present, all while running out of time to do it. It's also fascinating to think about seeing your parents as teenagers and changing them for the be better in the future. They did an excellent job developing Marty's parents and the villain, Brick through time.

Back to the Future's awesome appeal lies in its fun spirit, stylistic excellence and amazing story. It is different and daring and that's what makes it special.
September 4, 2016
A true '80s classic that is truly flawless. It's one of those rare cases where every filmmaking decision, from story, script, performances and editing, is completely on point. Quite possibly the definitive '80s comedy.
September 3, 2016
Still holds up after 31 years. So this is about a high school student named Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox). When his close friend and scientist Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) puts together a DeLorean that can travel through time, Marty is accidentally shot back to the 1950's and may have disrupted a very important event in history: the introduction of his parents to each other. What can I say about the great Back to the Future that hasn't already been said before? It's one of those classics from the 80's that is likely shrouded in nostalgia for most of us 20 or 30 somethings out there. But unlike a lot of childhood movies that we look back upon with rose-colored glasses and remember as being better than they actually are, Back to the Future still holds up, and there's lots to appreciate about it in this modern day. My wife and I recently caught up on the brilliant animated series Rick and Morty, a show that was obviously inspired by this story about a boy and his mad scientist. There are even subtle jokes that are easy to miss unless you've recently watched Back to the Future, such as one about bird watching, but I digress. This is a fast moving movie that is skillfully thought out and masterfully layered, and every scene has a purpose behind it and flows smoothly into the next one. Michael J. Fox manages to play this character perfectly with charisma, and he hits that sweet middle spot where he is cool enough that kids want to be him, but respectable enough where adults like him as well. The stakes are high as Marty slowly starts to fade out of existence, and because there is time travel involved, problems are solved in unconventional and interesting ways. And it is such a unique dilemma Marty is placed in, trying to get his own, younger mother not to fall in love with him and to divert attention back onto his timid father. There are some serious topics that are made light of, like incest and sexual assault, but a special ability that the movie posses is that it makes it easy to blur your eyes and ignore, because it is always moving that fast. It is laugh out loud funny, and the chemistry between Doc and Marty is alive whenever they are onscreen together. The setup to this is perfect, and you don't realize how much framework it built in the 80's until you get to the 50's. It is over the top, but in the best way possible, and I will always walk away from this with a smile on my face.
September 1, 2016
Very nice old movie. Just watched it first time and liked very much.
August 31, 2016