Bambi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bambi Reviews

April 22, 2017
Another Great Disney Classic and great childhood movie!
April 10, 2017
A very beautiful story that has a little bit of everything in it. While the movie follows a deers growth into a young buck and the problems he runs in to while he learns new things, of the world and life. It also captures the beutys and fears of the animal kingdom in a beautiful way. The soundtrack throughout the movie is great and it's almost working as to show us what Bambi feels, like an extra sense.
April 8, 2017
White-Tailed Deer Is My Favorite Animal Of All Time With Fawns Being Number Two And Buck Deer Being Number Three.
½ March 20, 2017
One of my childhood movies.
½ March 18, 2017
I never saw Bambi as a kid so I don't have a nostalgic connection to this so perhaps that hurt my feeling toward the film. I found it to be boring with no story to get attached to nor characters to bond with. Animation can only take me so far and there was nothing to go with the art. I guess the colors and music can entertain children but then again the film when Bambi isn't relying on cute animals instead of a plot there are actually a couple of scenes which I think could be rather frightening to young viewers, I was surprised to see this in an animated film from the 40s.

Of course with these couple of suspenseful scenes comes the problem with tone. Goes from peaceful forest frolicking to terror back to peaceful frolicking with nothing to show for the breaks. They are never referred to again so along with the characters having zero development I simply did not care. Disappinting so-called "classic" from Disney.
December 30, 2016
Creepier and downright scarier than most Disney films of that era. Unpopular opinion because it's considered one Disney's greatest. It's got its bright spots, but it's too creepy for me to call a good family film.
December 27, 2016
Bambi is one of the oldest and most classic animated films to come from Walt Disney. To this day it remains a moving, emotional, and unparalleled film, unique in its aspirations and smart in its execution.

There are several important aspects of Bambi that makes it the masterpiece that it is. The first, most obvious aspect is its animation. The character animations as well as the environmental design in this film are both masterfully and artfully created. In the characters, little details are added to their facial expressions, movements, and actions to convey a sense of emotion and humanity. This makes these characters much more than just forest animals, turning them into relatable personalities parallel in many cases to ourselves. The environmental art in the film is also spectacular: every bit of scenery, every blade of grass, every leaf, every rain drop, every snowflake... they are all elegantly crafted and beautiful, constantly providing visual treats throughout the film.

Another thing I love in Bambi is the way the soundtrack is utilized throughout. Very little actual sound is used during the movie, aside from the noises created by the main characters. Instead, instrumental elements are implemented brilliantly during several of the scenes of the film. Examples include violins and light string instruments during a rainstorm and a cymbal during a lightning storm. It adds a lot to the quality of the movie and is very creative.

The most important aspect that makes Bambi a classic film is the themes presented throughout. More obvious, anti-hunting and pro-nature themes exist, as well as more personal, subtle themes about humanity and the beauty of life. The way that Bambi's progression through life is presented is comparable to the life of anybody in our world, which makes it a very emotional, personable journey. It also reminds audiences to take pleasure in the small, beautiful things in life, and that every day in life is a new journey, a new adventure. This is what truly makes Bambi the enduring and inspiring film that it is. It's irreplaceable and heartwarming and one of Walt Disney's greatest classic films.
November 24, 2016
A gorgeously animated film that may not please everyone due to its greater focus on characters and lack of a well-defined plot, but it is well-deservedly recognized as a classic now with its contemplative portrayal of love, nature and the cruelty of men against the forest and its animals.
½ October 23, 2016
Disney in 1942 presented us with the story of the young deer Bambi. Although the film came out in 1942, there are probably not many who knows does not know of the demise of Bambi's mother. This was such a bold and strong move that Disney made, that would never be in today's modern PC world. This portion of the film represents not even more than 10 minutes of the movie, but remains a powerful scene.

If you are like I was, and did not remember anything else in the movie, but this scene and the character Thumper, the rest of the film is as follows. Bambi is born as the new prince deer of the forest and all the animals of the forest are eager to meet him. As Bambi grows up he learns to walk and speak with the help of his rabbit friend Thumper. Bambi learns the ways of nature as he learns of the beautiful flowers in the spring. There is an excellent scene where he huddles with his mother as a terrible thunderstorm frightens him. In the harshness of winter, he learns how to survive with minimal food. He also learns to enjoy winter as he cascades across the ice with Thumper. He explores a meadow with his mother and learns the dangers of mankind, and how being in an open field makes him more exposed.

Bambi features gorgeous backdrops of nature and the animation of the forest animals on top of it. Even for 1942 the film looks good, and holds up rather well. A majority of the film syncs up beautiful orchestra music perfectly in tune to the movements of the characters. Much of the film is almost like a longer nature scene from Fantasia. Additional characters include Bambi's endearing mother, his happy bunny friend Thumper, and a shy skunk who Bambi names Flower. Bambi's father is a masculine elk that is wise and has lived a long life and embodies what Bambi should become. As Bambi grows older he falls for a young doe, and learns to grow up and mature. The portrayal of mankind from the perspective of the forest animals was quite original and proactive for its time. The movie does not try and portray mankind as evil, nor does it have an anti-hunting message. It simply depicts how a forest animal would likely react and think of a hunter. Although the film is only 70 minutes, it features beautiful imagery, fun characters, excellent score, and a solid story. Bambi is one of the great Disney classics for a reason.

-10.23.2016
October 9, 2016
I take genuine influence from its animation.
October 8, 2016
Despite its ground breaking achievements, I do think this is the weakest of the Disney golden age. The story is lame, the characters aren't interesting, and most of the scenes are just boring. Bambi's relationship with his mother is what makes this watchable, but that obviously doesn't last the whole movie if you know what I mean.
½ October 3, 2016
Bambi remains the finest animation Disney have produced. The arc of the story (a baby deer grows up), the tone of seriousness (unique in the Disney canon), the breathtaking artistry of several sequences and the wonderful music - all combine to achieve an immortal masterpiece.
September 21, 2016
Disney's greatest and most recognizable coming-of-age fable.
½ September 6, 2016
August 17th 2011
September 2nd -3rd 2016
½ August 25, 2016
While not one of Disney's greatest films plot-wise, it has plenty of visual inspiration to spare. And of course, who could forget the shot that scarred a million childhoods?
August 15, 2016
Bambi blends realism and visual very well! The story is touching and emotional!
August 12, 2016
One of the most endearing and adorable movies of the Disney classics, Bambi is a film that never gets old. There's plenty of enjoyable characters and fun scenes that are entertaining to watch. The films lacks a structured plot but nevertheless the movie had us invested with daring chases and a lot of emotional appeal (rest in peace Bambi's mom). None of the characters sing a musical number, unlike previous Disney films, but it's still a beautiful soundtrack with good additions like "April Showers" that couple with the film nicely. It's also a step-up animation quality wise from Dumbo and features some effective animated sequences like the forest-fire and Bambi's battle with the other deer.
August 12, 2016
Sometimes you have an idea so simple it seems like you have nothing at all. Here the idea is simple; let's tell the life story of a baby deer as he grows up into adulthood. That's all. What we get is a masterfully animated movie that play with shadows, lights, music, and mood. I will say, the plot from point to point isn't the strongest, but it will leave a lasting effect that every art or animation fan should see.
August 1, 2016
Did you know this movie was based on Camp Tesomas which is a boyscout camp in winsconson.