Bambi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bambi Reviews

November 24, 2016
A gorgeously animated film that may not please everyone due to its greater focus on characters and lack of a well-defined plot, but it is well-deservedly recognized as a classic now with its contemplative portrayal of love, nature and the cruelty of men against the forest and its animals.
½ October 23, 2016
Disney in 1942 presented us with the story of the young deer Bambi. Although the film came out in 1942, there are probably not many who knows does not know of the demise of Bambi's mother. This was such a bold and strong move that Disney made, that would never be in today's modern PC world. This portion of the film represents not even more than 10 minutes of the movie, but remains a powerful scene.

If you are like I was, and did not remember anything else in the movie, but this scene and the character Thumper, the rest of the film is as follows. Bambi is born as the new prince deer of the forest and all the animals of the forest are eager to meet him. As Bambi grows up he learns to walk and speak with the help of his rabbit friend Thumper. Bambi learns the ways of nature as he learns of the beautiful flowers in the spring. There is an excellent scene where he huddles with his mother as a terrible thunderstorm frightens him. In the harshness of winter, he learns how to survive with minimal food. He also learns to enjoy winter as he cascades across the ice with Thumper. He explores a meadow with his mother and learns the dangers of mankind, and how being in an open field makes him more exposed.

Bambi features gorgeous backdrops of nature and the animation of the forest animals on top of it. Even for 1942 the film looks good, and holds up rather well. A majority of the film syncs up beautiful orchestra music perfectly in tune to the movements of the characters. Much of the film is almost like a longer nature scene from Fantasia. Additional characters include Bambi's endearing mother, his happy bunny friend Thumper, and a shy skunk who Bambi names Flower. Bambi's father is a masculine elk that is wise and has lived a long life and embodies what Bambi should become. As Bambi grows older he falls for a young doe, and learns to grow up and mature. The portrayal of mankind from the perspective of the forest animals was quite original and proactive for its time. The movie does not try and portray mankind as evil, nor does it have an anti-hunting message. It simply depicts how a forest animal would likely react and think of a hunter. Although the film is only 70 minutes, it features beautiful imagery, fun characters, excellent score, and a solid story. Bambi is one of the great Disney classics for a reason.

-10.23.2016
October 9, 2016
I take genuine influence from its animation.
October 8, 2016
Despite its ground breaking achievements, I do think this is the weakest of the Disney golden age. The story is lame, the characters aren't interesting, and most of the scenes are just boring. Bambi's relationship with his mother is what makes this watchable, but that obviously doesn't last the whole movie if you know what I mean.
½ October 3, 2016
Bambi remains the finest animation Disney have produced. The arc of the story (a baby deer grows up), the tone of seriousness (unique in the Disney canon), the breathtaking artistry of several sequences and the wonderful music - all combine to achieve an immortal masterpiece.
September 21, 2016
Disney's greatest and most recognizable coming-of-age fable.
½ September 6, 2016
August 17th 2011
September 2nd -3rd 2016
½ August 25, 2016
While not one of Disney's greatest films plot-wise, it has plenty of visual inspiration to spare. And of course, who could forget the shot that scarred a million childhoods?
½ August 18, 2016
Creepier and downright scarier than most Disney films of that era. Unpopular opinion because it's considered one Disney's greatest. It's definitely good, but it's too creepy for me to call a good family film.
August 15, 2016
Bambi blends realism and visual very well! The story is touching and emotional!
August 12, 2016
One of the most endearing and adorable movies of the Disney classics, Bambi is a film that never gets old. There's plenty of enjoyable characters and fun scenes that are entertaining to watch. The films lacks a structured plot but nevertheless the movie had us invested with daring chases and a lot of emotional appeal (rest in peace Bambi's mom). None of the characters sing a musical number, unlike previous Disney films, but it's still a beautiful soundtrack with good additions like "April Showers" that couple with the film nicely. It's also a step-up animation quality wise from Dumbo and features some effective animated sequences like the forest-fire and Bambi's battle with the other deer.
August 12, 2016
Sometimes you have an idea so simple it seems like you have nothing at all. Here the idea is simple; let's tell the life story of a baby deer as he grows up into adulthood. That's all. What we get is a masterfully animated movie that play with shadows, lights, music, and mood. I will say, the plot from point to point isn't the strongest, but it will leave a lasting effect that every art or animation fan should see.
August 1, 2016
Did you know this movie was based on Camp Tesomas which is a boyscout camp in winsconson.
July 29, 2016
Awesome movie it can get funny at times. I cried in the scene where Bambi's mother died
July 22, 2016
Disney is at the top of their game with this one. Every little kid refers to a deer as "Bambi"; a testament to the massive place this holds in our collective pop culture.
July 2, 2016
joyful, happy happy movie. not fully but overall it made me smile.
this shows how movies in the past used to be, and now everyone wants a show with stars and big lights.
June 21, 2016
Best classic of Disney!
June 6, 2016
"Bambi" is a funny, heartfelt, and artistically animated film that manages to maintain a heartfelt tone while representing serious themes with sensitivity.
April 19, 2016
Literally one of my favorite movies of all time. It's astounding just how perfect the animation and audio was for a movie from 1942.