Barbershop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Barbershop Reviews

½ September 18, 2017
I enjoyed this movie more than I thought that I was going to. It is simple, but it is funny and has a lot of heart. This has a great cast and even greater theme and I would recommend it.
July 29, 2017
Not a bad movie, lots of Eve, just not more than 2 of 5 stars in the grand scheme of things :)
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
October 8, 2016
Sweet Movie that does good with mixing humor and heart at the same time.
September 2, 2016
A rich slice-of-life comedy full of hilariously funny moments, dialogue, & characters.
½ August 17, 2016
As with any film featuring Ice Cube, Barbershop caught my attention due to a N.W.A. Obsession.

Barbershop is much like Ice Cube's breakthrough comedy vehicle Friday (1995). Both films depict the everyday experiences of the African-American community in as their experiences with social structures and relationships provide comedic banter. Barbershop's narrative is constructed out of a series of characters who each have their own story which is present for the sake of loose characterization, but not so much for any real narrative development. The story in Barbershop is a really simplistic one, but it also means that it's an easygoing one.
Viewers don't have to involve themselves too deeply within the story to enjoy the experience as it is mainly a straightforward comedic venture. The themes in the story are legitimate as the entire film centres around the concept of community; bringing people together to assist each other as friends or simple acquaintances. The underlying message in the film is not preachy or reliant on sentimentality, rather it is one which simply gives a genuine feeling of positivity to the film. It is a really basic theme and a also a rather familiar one, but Barbershop works around this by letting it flow naturally alongside the comedy in the film. Barbershop is a film sourcing its humour from the inherent nature of each character's individuality and through the way they react to various situations over the course of a singular day.
What I really like about Barbershop is the fact that it doesn't rely on simple racial stereotypes to bolster its comedy. The characters are not defined by their race, they are defined by their humanity and the humour comes from the way they interact with each other at a swift and believable rate. There is a side plot surrounding the physical gag of two characters constantly trying to break open a stolen ATM, but the main comic focus in the film simply plays into the dialogue from the characters. Barbershop's refusal to submit to simplistic stereotypes is one of its finest qualities, even when it manages to border on them without crossing the line. An example of this include the fact that the term "Damn" is used sporadically over the course of the film without ever getting excessive, effectively providing some of the funniest moments in the film due to a lack of overexposure.
Barbershop also knows the right time to tone down its comedic elements. The story doesn't offer any major development but does have some good moments of drama that still maintain the lighthearted charm of the film. For example, the moment where Terri Jones breaks up with her cheating boyfriend without resorting to any kind of aggressive racial stereotype provides a really compelling moment of realistic drama. She tells him in the most respectful manner she can, getting frustrated only slightly as he refuses to accept the reality of the situation. Barbershop is a comedy which knows when to restrain itself while functioning on a dramatic level, even taking some occasional moments to discuss some really intelligent concepts about racial identity without being a tedious political statement.
Barbershop succeeds on a small budget as it functions within a singular location which is ripe with appealing scenery. With its simplistic narrative and reliance on dialogue, the performances of the cast are a key factor in bringing it to prominence. And Tim Story lets their natural charms flourish.
Ice Cube is a fine lead for Barbershop. Ice Cube has proven his talents for comedy multiple times, and Barbershop provides a key opportunity for him to remind us all of that. The film provides him a pivotal opportunity for him to show audiences that he is far more than a one-dimensional stereotype. Fans of his work on Friday can enjoy the fact that he maintains an edgy nature which he occasionally injects into the humour, but everyone can rejoice mainly at the fact that his performance is one of subtlety. Most of what he has to say comes from his facial expressions as he remains silent, contemplating what everyone around him means to his character. Calvin Palmer Jr. comes off as a really genuine character, and Ice Cube manages to project a humanized sense of drama in the role with a knack for comic timing. Ice Cube portrays a character of more sophistication than viewers have seen him play before, and it comes across so naturally that it pays a lot of credibility to the man. Ice Cube prove his worth as an actor of simple drama and subtlety in Barbershop while keeping audiences laughing at the right moments.
However, the real star of Barbershop is Cedric the Entertainer. Though he is never officially over the top, Eddie is able to push the limits on a somewhat stereotypical character without ever being a repetitive gimmick. Eddie is a passionately Black character who uses elements of a racial stereotype without ever becoming one. Cedric the Entertainer uses his natural energy to drive a swift and commanding line delivery with added minor physical movements to reinforce the passion for what his character has to say. Yet when the dialogue becomes focused on discussing something of legitimate narrative value, the actor pulls himself back and tones it all down. Cedric the Entertainer knows when to kick it into full gear and when to restrain himself, and the way he stands on both ends of the spectrum with such inherent charisma is a real testament to the claim made his stage name. Cedric the Entertainer is the funniest thing about Barbershop, and his timing is consistently perfect.
The banter between Eve, Sean Patrick Thomas, Leonard Earl Howze and Troy Garity provides a consistently funny atmosphere for Barbershop with every actor bringing something of their own that stands out. Anthony Anderson's comic energy keeps the subplot of the film entertaining, and as a fan of his work with John Carpenter I am really happy to see Keith David active in mainstream cinema again.

Barbershop has a simplistic narrative which relies on familiar themes and little story development, but its realistic characters and delightful cast help to support it as a well-meaning and funny experience which is easy to sit back and embrace.
½ August 14, 2016
Plenty of entertainment here in the Barbershop. Some fun life stories and lessons here. A worthy watch. Rating: 7.5 / 10
August 2, 2016
A great cast and tons of laughs.
½ July 25, 2016
The first of the trilogy is more a comedy with it's silly side story, but when its concentrated within the shop itself, Barbershop shows the social commentary that it has become known for so well.
April 25, 2016
There are a lot of experiences that young men should have growing up. Being exposed to the barbershop culture is one of them. I loved going to get my haircut when I was a teenager. Not just because I felt rejuvenated with my fresh cut, but because I enjoyed the banter, the stories, and even the superfluous arguments. It's something I still look forward to when I go get a trim. And it's captured perfectly in this 2002 Ice Cube comedy.

The story isn't anything too intricate. It surrounds Cube's character, Calvin, trying to decide whether or not he should sell the barbershop passed on to him by his late father. But most of the film is spent filling us in on the happenings of the employees and patrons of the shop, and their own stories. By far the most interesting part, we get a great sense of who these people are and what makes them tick. We feel like we're right there in the shop with them.

It has its fair share of broad comedy, but there aren't a lot of moments of subtle humor. Which is okay, since it does the former so well. While it's rarely hysterical, you can definitely appreciate the repartee. In fact, most of the highlights don't come from the barbershop at all, but from Anthony Anderson and Lahmard Tate's characters stealing and attempting to open an ATM machine. This subplot goes on throughout the entire film.

With an impressive cast and an even more impressive Ice Cube, the beauty of this film is in its characters. They're not all likable, but you get to know them well enough to understand them. It's deceptively deep.

Ultimately, Barbershop turns a very simple premise into something much bigger and more meaningful. And it does it without ever feeling like it's being stretched too thin.

Although it's not perfect, it's perhaps one of the most accurate portrayals of a culture so beloved by American males.

Twizard Rating: 84
½ April 21, 2016
Pretty funny. I usually like Ice Cube movies but had never seen these ones. Probably would have liked it more if I watched it back when it was new.
April 19, 2016
one of the funniest movies ever
½ April 17, 2016
Barbershop really surprised me with how fun the cast and comedy was. While it's nothing truly unique, it's certainly a fun time.
April 14, 2016
a clever enough comedy about family and its community
ever wonder what life is like in a barbershop? well this movie centers on a particular one in Chicago; it's where people come together as a whole, talk about what they want, when they want, and at the end of the day they enjoy coming in and coming out
being something as simple as a barber is a craft able to bring something to the table
next to finding out how much the shop means to Calvin there's also a funny little subplot involving Anthony Anderson trying to crack open an ATM machine
lots of well-deserved laughs, moments of clarity and warmth, discussions about racial tensions, oppression, and surviving in a rough part of a neighborhood make 'Barbershop' way more insightful than you'd expect
½ March 21, 2016
YES. Original and hilarious.
½ March 17, 2016
Tim Story directed his film debut with Barbershop, which is a really great movie that is actually his best film in my opinion. I was wondering what plot they are going to put in that connects with the title, and the story the filmmakers out in is really good and small which I'm glad they didn't put in some big plot that doesn't even need to be grand. The acting is really good, and the writing is well written. The beginning was a little bit rough in terms of the humor which some of them were something that I could've laugh at, but I didn't, but it gets better and funnier when the movie keeps going. It has got a lot of heart, and a bunch of enjoyable characters. Barbershop is not really what I expected to be, but then again, I wouldn't know what they were gonna go with this, and I'm glad I came in with no expectation.
½ December 17, 2015
Unwatchable. Listening to the vapid dialogue was too much for me. Don't know how anyone could make it through this thing.
½ June 25, 2015
its people talking about crap in a Barber shop very boring film
June 18, 2015
Funny and heartfelt.A story that is near the heart and it shows.
June 6, 2015
Funny, entertaining with a lot of black jokes....