Barfly Reviews

• Jan 08, 2020

OMG EVERY motion picture should be this brave and true!!!! Peeps drinkin' and fightin', yo.

• May 22, 2019

You have to read " Ham on Rye" first to really understand who Chinaski was and what he was all about in order to fall in love with the "Barfly" . Truly touching, brutally honest movie.

• Mar 11, 2019

A Masterpiece! I loved this movie. A very powerful story.

A Masterpiece! I loved this movie. A very powerful story.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jul 29, 2018

Starring Snagglepuss as Hank Chinaski.

Starring Snagglepuss as Hank Chinaski.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jul 22, 2018

The film practically reeks of booze and hopelessness. What I like most here is that both Schroeder and Bukowski understand that dive bars and their patrons are as American as apple pie.

• Apr 04, 2018

Mickey Rourke as Charles Bukowski - wonderful to see. Barbet Schroeder kept the tone steady on this one.

• Dec 28, 2017

Charles Bukowski's writing transcends experience. Something about his words can penetrate all life experience. I've never been through the gutters that Bukowski frequented, I've never even had a drink of alcohol, but there is something so powerful, visceral, and evocative in Bukowski's skid row poetry, it's hard not to be moved or have your stomach turned or to smile and not even know why. Bukowski's naturalism, his vivid realities, speak to human experiences in the most unique ways. That said, Bukowski's prose was never thought to be a natural for the big screen. And yet, here we are with Barfly turning 30 years old this weekend. Bukowski wrote the screenplay at the behest of director Barbet Schroder who promised direct the film exactly as Bukowski wrote. It took nearly a decade and the insane producers Menachem Golan and Yoram Globus to make it happen, but Schroder lived up to his promise. Barfly is fully and completely a product of Bukowski. https://geeks.media/classic-movie-review-barfly?_ga=2.96748895.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710

• Sep 26, 2017

A fantastically dark and dismal depiction of people who LOVE being dark and dismal. Henry (Rourke) and Wanda (Dunaway) are perfectly happy being drunk, broke, and in the gutter. They wouldn't have it any other way. Many negative reviews of this film use words like, Rotten, Dismal, Ugly, and Depressing. Well, yes that's exactly it. The picture has made it's point. A "Must see before you die" move (MSBUD)

• Mar 26, 2017

An alcoholic spends time parting with his money and fighting the bartender at his favourite watering hole. The bar looked run down but on the plus side, it did have a Genesee sign inside. Not much really happens in this whole film, was surprised this came from the dynamic Golan-Globus production team. "How about another round for my frrr-iennnn-ds". Uh, no thanks.