Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

½ April 16, 2017
Batman Returns has lots of gorgeous effects of flair with Michael Keaton, Danny Devito, And.... Chris Walken!
½ April 13, 2017
I may be in the minority, but I think Tim Burton's second Batman film is much worse and an absolutely dreadful comic book movie.

First of all, I like Keaton, Pfiefer, and Devito's performances. However, once again, the villains overshadow Batman and don't do it in an entertaining way like Jack Nicholson. I found the film unnecessarily dark.

The action is okay, but the film is so boring to me, with performances being the only highlight.
April 8, 2017
Ridicules but enjoyable.
March 25, 2017
A great but flawed sequel
½ March 23, 2017
Pretty good, honestly. Much darker and more violent than the first, but almost better in a way. Catwoman is a good villain.
March 20, 2017
I understand why Batman gets such little screentime & dialogue in both Burton's depictions of the Dark Knight. It's a way of portraying his nature - Batman is very secretive & 'lurks in the shadows' rather than bursting under the spotlight seeking attention. However, Keaton's absence from the screen sometimes seems soo drastic that for large portions of time I forgot he was even in the film. Even the brilliant Christopher Walken manages to make himself more memorable than Batman, with a character who never appeared in any of the comics. That is not to take away anything from Keaton, who delivers another level-headed performance, remaining the best Batman/Bruce Wayne before Christian Bale.
Ultimately the film takes a step back from it's predecessor & appears quite limp in it's vision & finale (penguins with rockets?). & despite a brilliant & twisted portrayal of The Penguin from DeVito, we all know he is no match for Batman & Burton only prolongs the film till it's inevitable outcome.
Catwoman remains the most memorable element of the movie, but her back-story is quickly summed up & with little screentime in comparison with Penguin there is therefore little reason for her being in the film.
It is the best of the sequels, but as with Schumacher's poorly realized follow-ups, this fails to match the 1989 original.
½ March 12, 2017
I always assumed that the reason Burton didn't continue was because Batman Returns was a schlocky, campy, stupid mess full of Burton cliches and more scenery-chewing than a colony of termites in a prop warehouse. The story was weak-sauce, the costuming was like Donatella Versace exploded all over the Addams Family house, the whole look of the props and scenery was comically fake, the acting was laughable, and the movie commits the cardinal sin of completely wasting Christopher Walken.

They might as well have gone through with plans to cast Eddie Murphy as Robin. It couldn't have hurt. Once you get Danny DeVito spewing black shiat from his mouth while making crude sexual jokes and standing around in his soiled underwear, and Michelle Pfeiffer offering perhaps the most excruciatingly cliche Catwoman performance ever put to film (with dialogue that would have made Julie Newmar groan at the banal level of pussy-related puns), you might as well have Eddie Murphy just reprise his Axel Foley character for a comedic take on Robin.

If I never see Batman Returns again, it will be too soon. The only good things about it were Keaton's performance (despite the shiatty dialogue) and Gough's ability to remain somewhat respectable despite being knee-deep in black-and-white-striped Burton droppings.
March 11, 2017
Believe it or not, I like Joel Schumacher's Batman Forever more than this movie and here's why. All the mistakes of the first film are made even worse in this film as the story is so cluttered and so unfocused with its 3 new characters Penguin(Danny DeVito) and Catwoman(Michelle Pfeiffer) and Max Shreck(Christopher Walken) that Batman gets very little screen time! That's so unacceptable to have Batman put aside while half of the movie is given to the villains with confusing motives. Overall the main problem was that Tim Burton had too much control and made this film way too adult and dark this time to appeal to children and adults like the first. But what were the good aspects? Burton still nails the visuals and the performances are great so I still enjoy watching this film but I was still disappointed in the end so I am giving it a 3/5.
March 10, 2017
Penguin makes a very good villain in this movie I like how he hides in the sewers and he has live Penguins with him he is pretty creepy Danny Devito that played penguin was good. Cat woman played by Michelle Pfeiffer was a good villain she was quite an acrobat on her fighting skills and doing backflips. If your a fan of bat man check this out!

My favorite line Is when Penguin is coming through the sewers on his duck boat with his umbrella witch is a gun, and said, My babies did you miss me oh did you miss me!! Great speech Oswald. Penguin pushes his partner with an (umbrella) yelling. My name is not Oswald!!! It's Penguin!!! I'm not a human being I'm an animal!! Cold blooded!!! Crank the AC!! where are my lists? Give me the names it's time!! These are the name of the first born sons of Gotham City. Just like I was. And like me terrible fate awaits them. ( he passes out lists ) and to night while their parents party they'll be dreaming away in there safe cribs and there soft beds. We will snatch them Carry them in the sewer!! And toss them into a deep dark watery grave!! Penguin? Henchman said, I mean killing sleeping children isn't that a little uh". (penguin shoots his own person named Henchman, with a umbrella) No it's a lot!! ( Penguin kicks his Henchman"s Dead body in the water)
March 10, 2017
It sucks, really. But that was my first Batman movie, so I enjoy it. If you didn't watch it when you were younger, don't try it.
March 8, 2017
officially a Christmas movie... Classic
March 4, 2017
This isn't as good as the first but still is worth watching
½ February 25, 2017
Batman returns for more crime fighting after his previous cinematic escapade should have marked the end of his being Batman because all the primary motivation vanished (watch 1989's Batman, and you'll figure out why). We begin with an establishing shot of the Cobblepot house, coupled with whines of a newborn baby, and a disgusted couple deciding to abandon their baby for reasons revealed later. Fast forward 33 years, and we see a meeting of Max Shreck's (Christopher Walken) board prepping his legacy project: a power plant he wants Bruce Wayne (Michael Keaton) to fund. After listening in on the meeting, his secretary Selina Kyle (Michelle Pfeiffer) tries to make a suggestion before being sidelined for reasons that just come off as sexist. After that, we see her (literal) fall to madness, then from the sewers rises the Penguin (Danny DeVito), the baby that was abandoned to the sewers at the start of the movie. Instead of learning ninjutsu, he accepted himself as a monster, and becomes an eco-terrorist. Batman actually gets sidelined in favor of development of Penguin and Catwoman, and they are quite well developed: we see how Penguin becomes the bizarre creature he is from being abandoned by his parents for being different, and being raised by penguins, and we see how Catwoman goes from lonely secretary trying to make it in a man's world to the craziest crazy-cat-lady ever. There's still plenty of Batman, but he arrives later than he did last time. What also returns are the special effects that just look unforgivably fake. Some sets and costumes look cool, but the special effects were just unforgivably obvious in the fact they're fake. Danny Elfman also returns for the soundtrack, but not Prince. His score is as deep and memorable as ever. With a few laughs here and there, especially when you see Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle meet after having fought as Batman and Catwoman, Batman returns for another solo outing that would be the last good Batman movie for 13 years.
February 24, 2017
Tim Burton truly brings his version of Gotham to life. Brilliant atmosphere with complicated portrayals of Batman, The Penguin and Catwoman. Not for kids.
February 22, 2017
I loved this movie, but Catwoman didn't fit in right.
½ February 20, 2017
To be honest it wasn't exactly a "batman movie". He felt more like a mix of a main and a supporting character. It was much more of a catwoman movie. But that's not exactly bad. I really liked catwoman's character. To me Michelle Pfeiffer's performance was on par with Heath Ledger's Joker. The penguin was absolutely great. One of the better Tim Burton movies. And... for me it is the second best Batman movie after The Dark Knight to date.
jamrcla
½ February 16, 2017
Very overrated, Batman himself was the only good thing, Danny DeVito as The Penguin looked good but him and Catwoman were too silly and over the top, It's dark and silly at the same time and it doesn't work well, Tim Burton's style of films should be for the Gothic fans and not in Superhero fans, It's pretty boring and drags at times, There's not much action but what we get was ok, Comic fans will watch but will be disappointed as it doesn't really stay loyal to the comics as we hoped, It's not the worst Batman film but it's one of the worst.
½ February 12, 2017
Batman Returns was the second Batman film to be directed by Tim Burton. It was also the last. The script is an improvement over its predecessor, but still isn't very good. The story is great, though, along with Danny Elfman's haunting and emotional score. I really enjoy Tim Burton's take on Gotham City, and I only wish it could've lasted longer, but alas, it did not. Even though Burton still shifts to his freak-show formula, the film itself isn't bad, and is very enjoyable, not just as a superhero film, but as a horror film, as well as a Christmas flick.
½ February 9, 2017
It does have some weak moments, but Keaton is still the best actor to dawn the Cape and cowl and does very well here. DeVito and Pfeifer are great as well. Sets are a little over the top. Plot works, but not great. Some really great ties in to the 1989 film. Probably one of the top 3 films of the franchise.
January 30, 2017
Surpasses its predecessor and develops into a darker movie, despite some silly moments.