Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

½ August 8, 2017
Entertaining comic book pulp, highlighted by the great performance of Michelle Pfieffer as CatWoman. No one else who's played this role, and there have been many, comes close. Meow
August 7, 2017
It's not quite as good as the 1989 film, but Batman Returns is still fantastic. Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Walken are all at the top of their game. Despite some overly dark subject matter, the film overcomes this and entertains almost flawlessly.
½ July 27, 2017
I have watched this movie a lot of times over the years and I still enjoy it. Tim Burton holds nothing back with this installment. The cast of this movie seem to have a lot of fun with their roles. Michelle Pfeiffer managed to get the whole world to fall in love with her while at the same time, being the best version of Catwoman to be put to screen so far. Danny DeVito also gives a memorable performance that had parents complaining at the time, but as a fan, I loved. I think this movie is better than people give it credit for, but it also gets a bit too noisy at times.
July 27, 2017
Saw this on HBO and recorded it to watch later to end up finding out how dark and creepy these old Batman movies were (didn't surprise me when I found out it was directed by Tim Burton). However with Michael Keaton (Batman), Danny Devito (The Penguin), and Christopher Walken's (Max Shreck) acting the movie was thus saved. Also Catwoman was pretty legit. I still like the new Batman films by far...

It's definitely interesting to see how movie makers back then interpreted the comics compared to nowadays.
July 12, 2017
Underrated comic book classic. Nuanced performance by Keaton with glorious performances by Pfeiffer and DeVito which walked the line between farce and clinical psychosis. It didn't catch people off guard like Batman (1989) did, but for Burton fans it was a solid new age "monster movie" with a droll sense of humor.
July 10, 2017
Batman Returns is a cool movie, now Batman will take on the Penguin as well as Cat woman. I did like the penguin he's my favorite did any one wonder why he carries a umbrella well ok I will tell you why because it's actually a Gun, and he some times will open up the umbrella and he will fly a way. I thought he was creepy as well as some what funny. When I saw the trailer I was like ok I need to see this movie!! Danny Devito played penguin. Michael Keaton played Batman. Michelle Pfeiffer played cat woman. So a good cast for this movie! And I recommend watching this movie go Batman!
July 10, 2017
Batman Returns continues the dark and operatic spirit of the first film. It has an even bleaker atmosphere, and an even more devoted performance from Michael Keaton. Danny DeVito is amazing as the monstrous Penguin and the addition of Catwoman helps to round out the story. Mix in a wonderfully dark Christmas setting and you have a sequel that surpasses the original. Batman Returns is a triumph.
July 4, 2017
Haunting and dark, Batman Returns builds a terrific cast with Catwoman and Penguin, while also diving deeper into Batman's story.
June 26, 2017
Once again Tim Burton does great directing and the entire cast helps make this movie good.

8.2/10
June 24, 2017
Continuing an utter misunderstanding of the main character and combining it with complete corruptions of the villains, this follow-up is really about the latter, with the purported protagonist having very little screentime. Catwoman is the only one with an arc, so it's fortunate that she is the highlight, the Penguin suffers more, seeming to yo-yo between several versions and plotlines; DeVito tries to find some consistency in the character, but even he cannot cover over the cracks in this grotesque bizarrity. Walken's Shreck, a creation for the film, is the real villain and if he's hardly an original one he's one of the few sources of fun. Keaton is better as Wayne this time around, but the writing for his Batman is even worse than it was for his first outing in the cowl.
The movie can't decide whether to be a pantomime or a grim look at how society treats outsiders, better Burton movies manage to be both at the same time. At least there is some more substance than his first attempt in the franchise, Batman is explored a little more through his relationship with Catwoman and there's some stuff about duality, although it's pretty basic. However, taken on its own merits, within the confines of these versions of the characters, the romance works well. It results in some of the film's best lines and it's also the only reason why Batman is necessary to the story, without it he could be taken out entirely. The impressive Gotham city of the last film seems to have been replaced with something that feels like its being filmed on a tiny budget and tiny stage and that is indicative of this sequel as a whole; it's neither bigger nor better.
½ June 23, 2017
Dark, gothic and a little sad, "Batman Returns" managed to overcome its predecessor with a deep story, the amazing performances of Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken and the mesmerizing score of Danny Elfman.
½ June 22, 2017
I love this movie I think Michael Keaton is a great Batman and Michelle Pfeiffer rock as Catwoman.
June 19, 2017
With A Superb Cast And Style, Batman Returns Is A Dark, Fantastic Sequel To Tim Burton's Batman.
June 19, 2017
Even better than the first Tim Burton Batman film, Batman Returns has more characters, story, fight sequences and much much more. Its a great sequel!
½ June 15, 2017
Objectively a better movie than it's predecessor. But a movie that somehow manages to misunderstand what makes Batman a great character, even more than the first. However, this movie has significantly improved direction from Burton over his previous entry in the franchise.
June 14, 2017
Tim Burton can be argued as the first director to chose ambition over toy sales in its superhero movie that pushes the Batman closer to his comic mythology of darkness. A dark tale in the perfect juxtaposition of taking place during Christmas, as well as having one of the most memorable villain portrayals of all time. The nightmares this movie gave me as a kid were worth it indeed.
June 6, 2017
beautiful, bizarre and brooding. It's Tim Burton's imagination unleashed
June 2, 2017
Michelle Pfeiffer is the only reason this is the best "Batman" movie so far.
May 28, 2017
I liked it, but...superhero movies rarely get this dark. I was expecting The Adams Family to make a cameo.