Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

January 13, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 10, 2017
Batman may not be my favorite comic-returnted in a -movie story ....but this was pretty cool ! SOMVIDEO
January 5, 2017
Penguin makes a very good villain in this movie I like how he hides in the sewers and he has live Penguins with him he is pretty creepy Danny Devito that played penguin was good. Cat woman was a good villain she was quite an acrobat on her fighting skills and doing backflips. If your a fan of bat man check this out!

My favorite line Is when Penguin is coming through the sewers on his duck boat with his umbrella witch is a gun, and said, My babies did you miss me oh did you miss me!! Great speech Oswald. Penguin pushes his partner with an (umbrella) yelling. My name is not Oswald!!! It's Penguin!!! I'm not a human being I'm an animal!! Cold blooded!!! Crank the AC!! where are my lists? Give me the names it's time!! These are the name of the first born sons of Gotham City. Just like I was. And like me terrible fate awaits them. ( he passes out lists ) and to night while their parents party they'll be dreaming away in there safe cribs and there soft beds. We will snatch them Carry them in the sewer!! And toss them into a deep dark watery grave!! Penguin? I mean killing sleeping children isn't that a little uh. ( penguin shoots his own person with a umbrella) No it's a lot!! ( Penguin kicks his Dead body in the water)
December 29, 2016
This has wonderfully over-the-top characters, a great cast, excellent direction, and an exquisite score.
December 29, 2016
Weirder than the first film and it has gotten a huge face lift - effect-wise. It's a very similiar story. Some crooked villains doing bad stuff to Gotham, and Batman is on the case.
This time the most crooked guy is a Penguin-man. He is not as strong as The Joker when it comes to punchlines. He is not as good acted out eiter, but he is nastier and more repulsive. More serious in a way. The girl is important this time too, but Michelle Pfeiffer never nails it as Kim Basinger did. The Catwoman stuff is not a success for me.

So, a little weaker story, wackier but not better other than when it comes to effects.
OK entertainment, but it's going down hill with the elder Batman-series I'm afraid.

6 out of 10 CD-scratches.
½ December 22, 2016
Liked it more than the first one
½ December 22, 2016
Triumph for the sequel to the Batman of Tim Burton, he succeeded in creating in the spirit of Christmas in Gotham, with bad exceptional and first-rate
½ December 21, 2016
Bateman Returns has lots of gorgeous effects of flair with Michael Keaton, Danny Devito, And.... Chris Walken!
½ December 18, 2016
Flawed but still enjoyable adaptation of Batman, that while doesn't hold up as well in comparison to the "Dark Knight Trilogy", has a style that can't be denied. Keaton delivers his solid work from the first one but receives mixed support from the cast. Danny DeVito is atrocious as the Penguin, playing him as a disgusting monster over the suave crime boss in the comics, and you never buy he can trick Gotham into voting for him as mayor. Thankfully, Michelle Pfieffer is electrifying as Catwoman, lighting up the screen ever moment she's on it (even her early moments as a bumbling secretary are hilarious). She even livens up Keaton, as the two show nice romantic chemistry and reminds everyone Catwoman is the best love interest for Batman. Behind the camera, Tim Burton crafts a stylized & beautiful version of Batman that improves over the original and makes great use of the Christmas theme (Gotham looks gorgeous in the show). However, the story is inconsistent and goes a bit out there at times (the image of an army of Penguins with rockets on their backs is ridiculous). There is a hint of the supernatural, which is interesting, especially with Catwoman suddenly turning into an acrobatic villain, along with seemingly being unable to die. Plus, Danny Elfman actually improves on his brilliant score from the first film. Overall, a flawed and not accurate Batman film, but enjoyable nonetheless. Plus, this & "Iron Man 3" are the only superhero Christmas movies we got so far.
December 1, 2016
Batman Returns really steps up it's game by making it a little more expanded with it's dark atmosphere, characters and story.
November 22, 2016
a classic gets better with time. Dark and gruesome
November 21, 2016
Probably my favourite Batman movie.
jamrcla
½ November 10, 2016
Very overrated, Batman himself was the only good thing, The Penguin and Catwoman were too silly and over the top, A very dark sequel which isn't always bad but in this case it was bad, Boring at times apart from Batman & Robin this is my least favorite Batman film to date.
November 5, 2016
I love Batman Returns, It's my favorite Batman movie of all time.
Keaton is better and shows more of Batman and the direction by Tim Burton is gothic and epic as now.
October 19, 2016
"Batman Returns" is just as good as it's predecessor.(Some actually consider it to be even better) Michael Keaton once again gives a solid performance as "The Caped Crusader" and in addition the new cast members: Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer also do a great job. The movie features a much darker tone than it's predecessor, that adds both strengths and weaknesses to the final product. Overall I think that like it's predecessor, "Batman Returns" isn't perfect but it's entertaining enough for me to say that it's great.

8/10 - Great
½ October 9, 2016
Watchable, but easy to drift away from. Some good acting from Keaton doesn't save it from some odd writing choices.

2.5 stars
October 6, 2016
With Batman being a refreshingly dark superhero spectacle, Tim Burton's follow-up effort to direct Batman Returns sounded very promising.

It takes a while before the full effect of Batman Returns can be embraced. The way that the antagonists enter the screen in a gothic circus fiasco fits the style of Tim Burton's auteur legacy very nicely, but at the same time it feels a little too familiar to the manner in which he treated Joker in the first Batman film. He increases his scope this time around and broadens his focus onto many more characters. Neither Bruce Wayne or Batman actually make an appearance in Batman Returns until 12 minutes into Batman Returns, and this once again this leaves a meandering level of exploration into the mind of Bruce Wayne and his superhero identity. Still, Tim Burton's big ambitions remain admirable. There are a lot of characters that Tim Burton wants to extensively characterize in Batman Returns, and though this may come at the expense of the titular hero once again, it allows for a large scale exploration of the Gotham universe which broadens things intelligently. There are always sporadic familiar elements in comparing Joker to The Penguin, but it is the innovations that take a more prominent stand than the familiarities in the sequel. As a result, Tim Burton creates a gothic spectacle that transcends the entertainment value of the first film.
The combination of gothic and cartoon element that Tim Burton explored in the first film are pushed further in Batman Returns, transitioning into even darker territory. The tale is much more sadistic and blunt, and there is a passionately nihilistic tone in the film which shows Tim Burton exploring his deepest reaches of creative madness. He explores the full extent of evil within the universe of Gotham by showing it on multiple fronts, exploring the crimes of multiple citizens and how their actions create more criminals in the process. There are many characters and subplots to the film, but audiences are never bombarded by the narrative as there is a consistent interaction between all of them. The script manages to balance out an understanding of most of the characters fairly well even if Batman doesn't get as much as he deserves, and the dialogue is both serious and occasionally comical in the style of the source material.
From a technical perspective, Batman Returns is a stunning feature. Though the film plays out almost entirely in the night-time, Tim Burton manages to find many different colours within this setting by lighting up the screen with a variety of shades and flashes of light. The scenery manages to perfectly convey the Gotham setting with extensive dedication added to the production design in support of this, and the cinematography captures the large scale of it all. But it's the costume design and makeup that really shines in this film. Batman returns in his iconic attire, but it's mainly the appearances of Catwoman and Penguin that really make a stand. Catwoman's suit is a sexy tight leather attire combined with the sight of inconsistent needle threads and the face of Michelle Pfeiffer made to look all the more pale. With Penguin, Danny DeVito has an artificial nose and even more pale skin combined with black rings around his eyes, as well as a formal suit complete with a top hat. The sights of these characters is unforgettable, and it makes for a strong visual experience. There are also some powerful action scenes in the film which are supported by the Academy Award nominated visual effects, as well as some strongly timed editing.
And with all this to support them, the cast of Batman Returns deliver some really powerful performances.
Michael Keaton is once again a solid lead in Batman Returns. Though his characterization and screentime is even less than it was in Batman, Michael Keaton still contributes enough of a cold-edged performance to make an imprint. The main focus of Bruce Wayne's characterization in Batman Returns centres around his relationship with Selina Kyle, as well as how he attempts to manage it and maintain his alter-ego at the same time. The chemistry he shares with Michelle Pfeiffer is one of a subtle passion, though the story does not descend into melodramatic romantic conventions in the process. The story doesn't capitalize fully on what Michael Keaton is capable of as Bruce Wayne, but it still emphasizes his heroic talents as Batman. Michael Keaton's talents for hand-to-hand combat are used more extensively in Batman Returns, and the scenes combine his skills with slapstick humour which proves to boast action value and a comic touch at the same time, oscillating between the two without converging them into some kind of silly action comedy. Given that Michael Keaton has a strong legacy for his comedic skills, it is refreshing to see him using them in a subtle fashion within a very action-oriented context. Michael Keaton is effectively dark and heroic in his return to the role of the caped crusader, losing none of his touch since the first film.
Danny DeVito is an actor known for his comedic persona as a short weasel with a temper, though he has proven to have a dramatic flair too. In Batman Returns, he combines both elements while going in an all new direction. As a result, he creates a truly dark and sadistic character who considers evil to be a sick pleasure. It would be easy for the character to fall into the territory of being a novelty, but in actuality Danny DeVito is brilliant in the role. He gets so lost in the part that he becomes bent on a psychotic obsession with bringing darkness to Gotham and destroying Batman. There are elements to the role which do feel borrowed from Jack Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker from the previous film, but Danny DeVito makes them seem so inherent to him and the character that it feels natural. Danny DeVito epitomizes the full extent of Gotham's darkness in his portrayal of Oswald Cobblepot since he was born with deformities and abandoned by careless parents, becoming raised in the underground. The way that Danny DeVito conveys his character's absolute hatred for the world with a malicious physicality and line delivery that he spits out with a commanding tone of voice proves to make a very powerful impact on the experience. Danny DeVito's performance is one of the darkest by anyone in a Tim Burton film, and that is a hell of an achievement.
Selina Kyle is an interesting character. At first she is characterized as a stereotypical blonde character, a working girl who has the smarts but not the guts to take a stand for herself. Playing with conventional characters, Tim Burton characterizes her to at first as a stereotypical weak female character before giving her a massive change of course. The more conventional romantic subplot from the first film's given an innovative twist this time around due to the way Selina Kyle is treated once she transitions into being Catwoman. Catwoman essentially exists in her own universe as she is a damsel-in-distress turned antagonizing antihero whose motives are always personal as part of the film's odd pro-feminist message. Her independence and physical capabilities makes her a heroic figure while her intentions are conflicting. It's all very complex because Catwoman is characterized not as an extension of Selina Kyle but rather an entirely new creation, and the complex psychology of the character is captured flawlessly by Michelle Pfeiffer. But as well as this, she ends up being an innovative combination of campy sadism and slick seduction at the same time. Michelle Pfeiffer captures the complicated nature of Selina Kyle and Catwoman with unprecedented mental and physical dedication, making her an unforgettable asset to the feature. She is the real star of the show here.
Christopher Walken also brings in a strong supporting effort. He essentially plays an archetypal version of himself and perhaps the most generic of the main characters, but the star's natural charm and sophistication makes him more than convincing in the part. He plays with the manipulative nature of his character well and manages to subtly make an intimidating presence.

So although Batman Returns essentially reduces its titular character to being a secondary character in his own story, the multiple villains of the story constructs a large scale front for Tim Burton to explore his iconic gothic style in a dark action medium fueled by powerful set pieces and strong performances.
½ October 3, 2016
The best superhero movie ever made thus far. Atmosphere. Mood. Darkness. Don't expect fun. Expect brains and daring. I mean, this movie even mentions (in one of Penguin's speeches) the Reichstag fire, and this was back in 1992 before the September 11 conspiracy theories taught many of us what that was all about. Heck, this was before the internet was around for us to google it. They tried to make the next Batman movie after this one more fun but it was empty and shallow (except for the always-awesome Jim Carrey as the Riddler). This one has depth. This movie is art. The follow-up is a billboard.
I must admit, though, I like the first half better than the second. It all gets sorta loud and obnoxious, and the focus on mood and atmosphere gets overshadowed by endless and kind of bizarre action sequences. I have this problem with action/fight sequences in general. It's hard to top the ingenuity of early 80s Indiana Jones. I find more exciting action sequences that are non-traditional--for example, Joan Cusack's race to get the news segment tape to the machine in Broadcast News. Choreographed fight scenes often bore me to sleep.
½ September 30, 2016
Batman Returns was the second Batman film to be directed by Tim Burton. It was also the last. It once again follows the Dark Knight as he battles not one, but two major villains: The Penguin and Catwoman. The best quality of this movie is the amount of time focused on establishing the villains. By the time Selina Kyle is transformed into Catwoman, Batman has only gotten a few minutes of screen time. Most of the first act is spent fleshing out Batman's foes: the first scene chronicles Penguin's birth and abandonment by his parents.

Let's talk about the villains. Penguin is played by Danny DeVito in this film, and he plays him wonderfully. Now, if you compare Penguin from the 60's TV show to this Penguin, you'll find many differences. In the TV show, Penguin isn't a complete psycho, he's just a fat mob boss who smokes and in the end, gets locked up in prison. This Penguin? He is completely crazy. He has deformed hands that resemble flippers, his evil plan is to kidnap every first-born child in Gotham and drown them in toxic sewage water. But behind the sociopath that he is, there's still a sense of humanity left in him, and it's not hard to tell. Catwoman is played by Michelle Pfeiffer, and she pretty much kills it as the character. Her chemistry with Michael Keaton is very good, and just like Keaton did in the first film, she handles her character's duality very well. I liked her suit, and I think the visible stitches make the costume stand out among others. And that laugh...

The script is an improvement over its predecessor, but still isn't very good. The story is great, though, along with (yet again) Danny Elfman's score. "Birth of a Penguin" and "Selina Transforms" are both haunting yet emotional tracks that are so, so well done. I'm not usually one to advertise, but do yourself a favor and buy this score right now. It is one of the greatest movie scores of all time.

I really enjoy Tim Burton's take on Gotham City, and I only wish it could've lasted longer, but alas, it did not. The casting is great in this film, and so is the story and score, while the script still isn't that good.
½ September 28, 2016
A sequel that continues an utter misunderstanding of the main character combined with complete corruptions of the villains. Even on their own merits these interpretations (if they are worthy to be called that) are rarely entertaining, instead we are treated to cringe-worthy competitive scenery chewing between the two villains (something that became tradition for the series) as DeVito and Pfeiffer try, and fail, to find some consistency and motivation in their roles. The Penguin in particular seems to yo-yo between several versions and plotlines, none of which fit together. The movie can't decide whether to be a pantomime or a grim look at how society treats outsiders, better Burton movies manage to be both at the same time. At least there is some more substance this time around; Batman is explored a little more through his relationship with Catwoman and there's some stuff about duality, although it's pretty basic. The impressive Gotham city of the last film seems to have been placed with it feeling like its being filmed on a tiny budget and tiny stage. In a film with Batman and Catwoman, Walken's Max Shreck and remote controlled penguins are the only source of entertainment.