Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

September 23, 2017
If movies like this could still happen these days, modern cinema would be fantastic. "Batman Returns" might not be as surprisingly good as the first one in the franchise, but it offers better and longer action sequences, a good sidekick for Batman, the bad and lovely Catwoman, and one hell of a villain played masterfully by Danny DeVito, The Penguin. He might not be as funny and entertaining as Nicholson's The Joker, but he's more sadistic and violent. "Batman Returns" is, in the end, one of the better super-hero sequels.
½ September 19, 2017
After the first Tim Burton Batman movie was such a big success, when Warner Bros. put Tim Burton in the director's chair for the sequel they allowed him full range to do whatever he wanted with this picture. The result is a very creepy, very weird, and very dark Batman movie - a little too much for me. Danny DeVito's penguin isn't charming or scary he's just... vile and disgusting. Catwoman is just sort of there, not serving much of a purpose in the story. But Michael Keaton is still great as the Dark Knight. I like Tim Burton, but he does have a reputation for being a very unique director, sometimes in ways that are just to obscure for my taste.
September 17, 2017
So the Bat is back played by Michael Keaton and this time he was better at playing Batman he was a little funny so Batman must take on Penguin played by Danny DiVito now he was funny and creepy I like penguin a lot he was funny! Ok I would say this Batman returns is better then the 1989 Batman
½ September 11, 2017
(3.5/5). A much better film than Batman 89'; the story is much more interesting, the script gives its characters more to do (ESPECIALLY BRUCE WAYNE), and the addition of Catwoman does bump up the quality, this one still has some significant flaws. Though the script gives the characters more meat to chew on, their motivations are bit jumbled by the third act of the movie, which is entertaining visually but logically doesn't make much sense. However Keaton's excellent Batman, DeVito's PERFECT Penquin, and Michelle's great Catwoman do make this a solid sit. Its a shame we never got to see the third Burton Batman.
½ September 7, 2017
second fav batman movie
September 3, 2017
Tim Burton's follow-up is every bit as good as the original and maybe then some. Michael Keaton reprises his role as the Caped Crusader, and we are given an even darker tone to his persona here. Michelle Pfeiffer is the perfect Catwoman and Danny DeVito makes for a funny and terrifying Penguin. The action moves at a rapid pace and the story plays out in majestic fashion. Christopher Walken is a devilish delight as the cruel Max Schreck.
August 19, 2017
Another masterpiece!
August 19, 2017
Decent movie. Entertaining.
Rating: 6.9/10
½ August 8, 2017
Entertaining comic book pulp, highlighted by the great performance of Michelle Pfieffer as CatWoman. No one else who's played this role, and there have been many, comes close. Meow
August 7, 2017
It's not quite as good as the 1989 film, but Batman Returns is still fantastic. Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, and Christopher Walken are all at the top of their game. Despite some overly dark subject matter, the film overcomes this and entertains almost flawlessly.
½ July 27, 2017
I have watched this movie a lot of times over the years and I still enjoy it. Tim Burton holds nothing back with this installment. The cast of this movie seem to have a lot of fun with their roles. Michelle Pfeiffer managed to get the whole world to fall in love with her while at the same time, being the best version of Catwoman to be put to screen so far. Danny DeVito also gives a memorable performance that had parents complaining at the time, but as a fan, I loved. I think this movie is better than people give it credit for, but it also gets a bit too noisy at times.
July 27, 2017
Saw this on HBO and recorded it to watch later to end up finding out how dark and creepy these old Batman movies were (didn't surprise me when I found out it was directed by Tim Burton). However with Michael Keaton (Batman), Danny Devito (The Penguin), and Christopher Walken's (Max Shreck) acting the movie was thus saved. Also Catwoman was pretty legit. I still like the new Batman films by far...

It's definitely interesting to see how movie makers back then interpreted the comics compared to nowadays.
July 12, 2017
Underrated comic book classic. Nuanced performance by Keaton with glorious performances by Pfeiffer and DeVito which walked the line between farce and clinical psychosis. It didn't catch people off guard like Batman (1989) did, but for Burton fans it was a solid new age "monster movie" with a droll sense of humor.
July 10, 2017
Batman Returns is a cool movie, now Batman will take on the Penguin as well as Cat woman. I did like the penguin he's my favorite did any one wonder why he carries a umbrella well ok I will tell you why because it's actually a Gun, and he some times will open up the umbrella and he will fly a way. I thought he was creepy as well as some what funny. When I saw the trailer I was like ok I need to see this movie!! Danny Devito played penguin. Michael Keaton played Batman. Michelle Pfeiffer played cat woman. So a good cast for this movie! And I recommend watching this movie go Batman!
July 10, 2017
Batman Returns continues the dark and operatic spirit of the first film. It has an even bleaker atmosphere, and an even more devoted performance from Michael Keaton. Danny DeVito is amazing as the monstrous Penguin and the addition of Catwoman helps to round out the story. Mix in a wonderfully dark Christmas setting and you have a sequel that surpasses the original. Batman Returns is a triumph.
July 4, 2017
Haunting and dark, Batman Returns builds a terrific cast with Catwoman and Penguin, while also diving deeper into Batman's story.
June 26, 2017
Once again Tim Burton does great directing and the entire cast helps make this movie good.

8.2/10
June 24, 2017
Continuing an utter misunderstanding of the main character and combining it with complete corruptions of the villains, this follow-up is really about the latter, with the purported protagonist having very little screentime. Catwoman is the only one with an arc, so it's fortunate that she is the highlight, the Penguin suffers more, seeming to yo-yo between several versions and plotlines; DeVito tries to find some consistency in the character, but even he cannot cover over the cracks in this grotesque bizarrity. Walken's Shreck, a creation for the film, is the real villain and if he's hardly an original one he's one of the few sources of fun. Keaton is better as Wayne this time around, but the writing for his Batman is even worse than it was for his first outing in the cowl.
The movie can't decide whether to be a pantomime or a grim look at how society treats outsiders, better Burton movies manage to be both at the same time. At least there is some more substance than his first attempt in the franchise, Batman is explored a little more through his relationship with Catwoman and there's some stuff about duality, although it's pretty basic. However, taken on its own merits, within the confines of these versions of the characters, the romance works well. It results in some of the film's best lines and it's also the only reason why Batman is necessary to the story, without it he could be taken out entirely. The impressive Gotham city of the last film seems to have been replaced with something that feels like its being filmed on a tiny budget and tiny stage and that is indicative of this sequel as a whole; it's neither bigger nor better.
½ June 23, 2017
Dark, gothic and a little sad, "Batman Returns" managed to overcome its predecessor with a deep story, the amazing performances of Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken and the mesmerizing score of Danny Elfman.