Batman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Batman Returns Reviews

May 18, 2018
Even darker than its predecessor, "Batman Returns" is fantastic.
½ May 16, 2018
A good sequel,too dark for some people...still a really good movie.
May 14, 2018
IT IS THE BEST BATMAN MOVIE THAT I HAVE SEEN MICHELLE PFEIFFER LIKE CATWOMAN AND DANNY DEVITO AS THE PENGUIN GOOD SPECIAL EFFECTS GOOD STRUCTURE A JOB FOR MY MASTERPIECE
½ May 10, 2018
This sequel is not as fondly thought of as the first and is more of a Burton movie with lots of whimsical storytelling and imagery. If you're a fan of Burton's visual flare you will enjoy this movie but it's not really a Batman movie more Batman in wonderland!
Again, the casting is impeccable. Michelle Pfeiffer is unbelievably gorgeous and dripping with sex appeal...the Penguin is quite the opposite in a good way! Perfectly played by Danny DeVito.
Christopher Walken, plays Max Shrek who is meant to be the real villain adds to a bloated cast and movie that Burton just about holds together but will not please everyone.

As I said Walken's character, the tycoon of Gotham is the real villain of the piece and I think that was lost on a lot of people. Catwoman, the Penguin and along with Batman are portrayed as the victims of Gotham city's rich and elite.
Walken's character, Max Shrek will stop at nothing to get what he wants and bullies and threatens Bruce Wayne in the business world and Pfieffer's character, Selina. Playing his much abused secretary, resulting in her transformation.into Catwoman.
The Penguin is born and discarded by his elitist parents due to deformity and Max Shrek sees an opportunity to manipulate him to run for Mayor for his own gain.

All these avenues lead to a convoluted plot with too many plots to follow and, unlike the first Batman, no recognized villain of the piece. The actors all feel like they are fighting over screen time here.

Still, this is a fun film that has some great scenes with Keaton and Pfieffer who have great chemistry in and out of costume.
DeVito is outstanding but his evil plan is a bit silly and creepy, kidnapping kids using penguins??
Burton's visual style is all over this and it is still a fun movie but probably has less of a broader appeal than the original.
½ May 9, 2018
Even if you'll probably like watching the Dark knight trilogy more, this one is still worth a watch for Batman fans.
May 7, 2018
Elevates Batman from crime/noir to Gothic fairy tale while featuring two of the most memorable comic book villain performances ever.
½ May 6, 2018
"Batman Returns" is even better than it's predecessor.
April 28, 2018
Entertaining comic book pulp, highlighted by the great performance of Michelle Pfieffer as CatWoman. No one else who's played this role, and there have been many, comes close. Meow
April 25, 2018
Daaaamn! That's pretty cold how they could just literally throw away their child. Michelle Pfieffer is smokingly attractive, even in that supposed nerdy outfit when we first see her. She's really cute. Danny DeVito's make up and costume is on point and his acting is brilliant. I don't think they could've cast a more perfect actor. I love how there's real life penguins just hanging out on the set, swimming around just chilling.

The explanation of why she became cat woman is kind of obscure, but I guess she had a sudden realization of how pathetic she was living her life and decided to make a very drastic change.

Christopher Walken is well, Christopher Walken. He's always great. Michelle Pfieffer is brilliant and fierce as cat woman. Even though the director's style is not as obvious and prevalent, it's definitely got the tim Burton feel to it which I love, lighthearted, funny, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Very creative and original ideas in this Batman movie. Wow, it really took a turn for the dark toward the end. We get to see everyone's true colors. Cat woman's, Penguins, Batman's, even Walken's character. It was very much like a comic book.

It's weird and I know I'll be judged, but I very much liked this one more than the first Batman. All of the characters are so interesting with complex and fucked up backstories. It seems like there's more character depth in this one.
April 1, 2018
It might seem the other.... But then you realize it's possibly one of the greatest films ever made, just like Batman and The Dark Knight.
March 31, 2018
Batman Returns has all of what made it's predecessor successful with a darker, and for that matter denser story that's built up by the excellent performances of its cast, especially Danny DeVito who effectively plays a creapier though sympathetic version of the Penguin.
½ March 25, 2018
not as good as the original but still okay
March 25, 2018
Better than the original, Tim Burton offers an even darker film than it's predecessor. And it's really impressive.
½ March 19, 2018
Two orphans and a mentally unstable woman who likes leather cat suits
March 6, 2018
bATMAN RETURNS IS EVEN DARKER AND EVEN MORE ATHSMOSPHERIC THAN ITS PREDECESSOR, MAKING IT SLIGHTLY MORE WELL-SIDED. kEATON DOES AN AWESOME JOB WITH BATMAN AND DANNY DE VITO'S pENGUIN PORTRAYAL WAS SPECTACULAR, THUS MAKING THIS SEQUEL A BIT MORE REFINED THAN ITS PREDECESSOR.
March 3, 2018
Danny Devito and Michelle Pfeiffer need Oscars for there performances and On my opinion it's better than the dark knight it's dark and gritty it's everything you want
½ March 2, 2018
'Batman Returns' is a better effort by Tim Burton who keeps the film dark and stylish with impressive action sequences, but a weak plot dilutes the compelling performances of Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Christopher Walken, and Michelle Pfeiffer.
½ February 16, 2018
The second best Batman movie ever made this movie is almost as good as Spiderman 2
February 15, 2018
As much as Director Tim Burton did, this sequel is so good, its better then the first one, its got a amazing Script and cast, Its a really good flim for everyone who likes Batman
February 9, 2018
A superhero film that is actually an auteur's piece.