A Hard Day's Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Hard Day's Night Reviews

September 11, 2017
A Hard Day's Night (1964) ???? / ????
Classic Beatles film is a sheer delight, a look at a "typical" day in their life. Many memorable vignettes. A totally wild, imaginative, crazy movie with songs from their first three albums on the soundtrack.
August 15, 2017
I hate the Beatles but this movie was funny and cute
½ July 26, 2017
I got to see A Hard Days Night on Criterion before I went to my first concert
"Paul McCartney" and it was a treat both the movie and the concert.
July 25, 2017
There is no finer movie than A Hard Day's Night! For this movie to be created as it was being filmed, very few movies can claim this honor. Any movie that impacted society as forcefully and with dramatic impact that The Beatles did, no other accomplished. No matter how you compare all aspects of creating a movie, this is the quintessential of all movies!
July 24, 2017
The Beatles at there finest. Great music, comedy and great acting by The Fab Four. This is a classic that you should watch if you've never seen it and is something to revisit for any Beatle fan.
½ July 23, 2017
A Hard Day's Night (1964) stars The Beatles & almost perfectly captures the phenomenon of 'Beatlemania' that was exploding across the world. The Beatles are at their reckless, goofy best in A Hard Day's Night as they explore and experience the extent of their fame within ever-changing 1960s society. With a quick-cutting style, endless laughs and satire, A Hard Day's Night has not dated a day. The film sweeps you away into the ridiculous world of fame. A Hard Day's Night runs fluidly and with such boundless energy that makes the film feel like it's going to pop off the screen. The music is wonderful (as if that needs to be said). A Hard Day's Night is the ultimate epitome of the term 'feel-good film'. It immediately obliterates notions of fame equalling authority, and in-so-doing makes you feel like you're the band's best mate. A Hard Day's Night is an awesome mockumentary of one of the greatest characterful pop bands to ever grace the world stage. Don't miss this one.
February 28, 2017
Early Beatles film has the hugely popular quartet dealing with a manager who acts like their dad, adoring fans and Paul's trouble-making grandfather (in a poor subplot). Likely a must-see for big fans of the group. I'll pass.
January 8, 2017
A psychedelic trip back to America's love affair with the invasion of British Rock and Roll, -A great way to introduce the history of Music and its impact on the Vietnam War, the American Family and the question of post 50's idealisms
January 8, 2017
Time has done no favours to this feature starring the Beatles. Dreadful 'storylines' and dialogue centered around the Manager's attempts to keep the band from 'messing about', Paul's mischievous Grandfather and Ringo's inferiority complex are practically unbearable and only tempered (thankfully) by periodic musical interludes.
½ September 27, 2016
Great movie staring the best rock band ever!!The Beatles!! This movie is not only enjoyable for Beatles fans.
September 2, 2016
How this movie made it on RT's list of top 100 classics movies is beyond me.

The only aspect I enjoyed is the music. Other than that, the film was just pointless and plotless. And such a bore.
½ August 24, 2016
I love the fast-paced sillyness that sides with this movie. Great performance by the whole cast and wonderful soundtrack! My only problem with this film is just the confusing storyline. It may be simple but I just can't grasp it.
August 7, 2016
Maybe only a 2.5. Music is great, the rest silly.
½ March 29, 2016
If you are a Beatles fan like I am than you will like the film. But it has some weird voice overs during the songs.
March 25, 2016
hilarious and cool to get to see the fabuloso Cinco at their prime. (its not on Netflix like this app says, tho)
½ March 16, 2016
Has stood the test of time. The Beatles at their very best!!
February 12, 2016
A Hard Day's Night packs a lot of fun into a movie. Some critics say this film is part documentary, to which I saw just because the famous group plays themselves doesn't make A Hard Day's Night a documentary. It is a quirky comedy and a musical that tries to capture the essence of The Beatles, one of the most influential bands in history.

It is enjoyable how many comedic bits this movie is made of. Although it is definitely not the same type of humor throughout the film, some of it seems to pay homage to the Marx brothers. The comedy is all situational or dialogue-based, but none of it seems to be slapstick humor which comes into play only a few times in Marx brothers films. Though you don't find the urge to laugh at it, the first conversation of the film is amusing; Paul McCartney insists the man they sit with on a train is his grandfather, explaining "I'm entitled to two, aren't I" when the other Beatles insist they have seen his grandfather before. It is also amusing when the Beatles never seem to react much to things their managers get into a fuss over.

Although it touches on it only in a few parts, this movie also has great commentary on social class. A few minutes into the film, an older gentleman of the upper class shares the train carriage with the Beatles and he is immediately snobby to fit the conditions to his needs, which means the Beatles can't have the window open or listen to their radio. Then, inexplicably, The Beatles are running beside the train asking for their ball back, a great analogy of the situation.

Obviously the music in the film must be given thought to as well. The music is simply there when it is used and does not really contribute much to the story. However, the energy of the Beatles is captured with the opening credit sequence in which A Hard Day's Night is playing as well as in a scene with Can't Buy me Love when the four Beatles run around a field with a helipad to escape their "imprisonment due to fame" if only for a brief moment. Some of the music is just there, and some of it conveys energy.

The story is definitely not the highlight of the film. It is reflective of the Beatles' life as a band - the reason some may consider it a documentary - but it truly is not a documentary in any sense. It is a fictional story constructed around the idea that the band has an important performance to give. Don't set expectations high for a great story here because it is very straightforward.

A Hard Day's Night still has a good sense of energy and a lot of comedy, making this "Beatles movie" a delight to watch.

3.0/4.0
½ February 7, 2016
The energy is still infectious, although much of the '60s British humour may have escaped me.
February 7, 2016
I never saw this when it came out, but when I did I was almost blown away, rather than a quickie exploitation film, which I expected, it is a well done British comedy from a period I love. I should not have waited so long.
February 4, 2016
not much of a story to it just sort of the lads buzzing around being themselves playing some music. re.3-4