A Hard Day's Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Hard Day's Night Reviews

February 28, 2017
Early Beatles film has the hugely popular quartet dealing with a manager who acts like their dad, adoring fans and Paul's trouble-making grandfather (in a poor subplot). Likely a must-see for big fans of the group. I'll pass.
January 8, 2017
A psychedelic trip back to America's love affair with the invasion of British Rock and Roll, -A great way to introduce the history of Music and its impact on the Vietnam War, the American Family and the question of post 50's idealisms
January 8, 2017
Time has done no favours to this feature starring the Beatles. Dreadful 'storylines' and dialogue centered around the Manager's attempts to keep the band from 'messing about', Paul's mischievous Grandfather and Ringo's inferiority complex are practically unbearable and only tempered (thankfully) by periodic musical interludes.
½ September 27, 2016
Great movie staring the best rock band ever!!The Beatles!! This movie is not only enjoyable for Beatles fans.
September 2, 2016
How this movie made it on RT's list of top 100 classics movies is beyond me.

The only aspect I enjoyed is the music. Other than that, the film was just pointless and plotless. And such a bore.
½ August 24, 2016
I love the fast-paced sillyness that sides with this movie. Great performance by the whole cast and wonderful soundtrack! My only problem with this film is just the confusing storyline. It may be simple but I just can't grasp it.
August 7, 2016
Maybe only a 2.5. Music is great, the rest silly.
½ March 29, 2016
If you are a Beatles fan like I am than you will like the film. But it has some weird voice overs during the songs.
March 25, 2016
hilarious and cool to get to see the fabuloso Cinco at their prime. (its not on Netflix like this app says, tho)
½ March 16, 2016
Has stood the test of time. The Beatles at their very best!!
February 12, 2016
A Hard Day's Night packs a lot of fun into a movie. Some critics say this film is part documentary, to which I saw just because the famous group plays themselves doesn't make A Hard Day's Night a documentary. It is a quirky comedy and a musical that tries to capture the essence of The Beatles, one of the most influential bands in history.

It is enjoyable how many comedic bits this movie is made of. Although it is definitely not the same type of humor throughout the film, some of it seems to pay homage to the Marx brothers. The comedy is all situational or dialogue-based, but none of it seems to be slapstick humor which comes into play only a few times in Marx brothers films. Though you don't find the urge to laugh at it, the first conversation of the film is amusing; Paul McCartney insists the man they sit with on a train is his grandfather, explaining "I'm entitled to two, aren't I" when the other Beatles insist they have seen his grandfather before. It is also amusing when the Beatles never seem to react much to things their managers get into a fuss over.

Although it touches on it only in a few parts, this movie also has great commentary on social class. A few minutes into the film, an older gentleman of the upper class shares the train carriage with the Beatles and he is immediately snobby to fit the conditions to his needs, which means the Beatles can't have the window open or listen to their radio. Then, inexplicably, The Beatles are running beside the train asking for their ball back, a great analogy of the situation.

Obviously the music in the film must be given thought to as well. The music is simply there when it is used and does not really contribute much to the story. However, the energy of the Beatles is captured with the opening credit sequence in which A Hard Day's Night is playing as well as in a scene with Can't Buy me Love when the four Beatles run around a field with a helipad to escape their "imprisonment due to fame" if only for a brief moment. Some of the music is just there, and some of it conveys energy.

The story is definitely not the highlight of the film. It is reflective of the Beatles' life as a band - the reason some may consider it a documentary - but it truly is not a documentary in any sense. It is a fictional story constructed around the idea that the band has an important performance to give. Don't set expectations high for a great story here because it is very straightforward.

A Hard Day's Night still has a good sense of energy and a lot of comedy, making this "Beatles movie" a delight to watch.

3.0/4.0
½ February 7, 2016
The energy is still infectious, although much of the '60s British humour may have escaped me.
February 7, 2016
I never saw this when it came out, but when I did I was almost blown away, rather than a quickie exploitation film, which I expected, it is a well done British comedy from a period I love. I should not have waited so long.
February 4, 2016
not much of a story to it just sort of the lads buzzing around being themselves playing some music. re.3-4
January 28, 2016
A great piece of beatles history showing a average day for the beatles. Being chased by fans and having to make it for a live performance causes the band to end up in many comedic situations. A hard days night is without doubt a classic that'll give beatles mad fans exactly what they need.
½ January 24, 2016
Driven by tons of fun and charm, with surprising wit on its star-worshiping theme, though it needs to watch it's balance of songs over the comedy, which really sets it apart from a music video.
½ January 8, 2016
After A Hard Day's Night, I want to take a nap. This dated cash-grab is boring, self-indulgent, and, overall, pointless.

The plot (or lack there of) plays out as an endless litany of subplots that none of the characters take seriously enough to actually materialize into a story. Beyond that, an excessive reliance on eccentric humor without a straight man to complete the bit causes jokes to fall flat and an absurd need to shoehorn mediocre Beatles' songs in at every corner breaks any immersion the film could hope to muster. None of this is helped by the fact that all four of the Beatles seem to be convinced that they're playing the same character.

How this movie made it to Rotten Tomato's "Top 100 Movies of All Time" is baffling. A list of the most effective sleep therapy treatments, I might understand.
½ November 16, 2015
As a massive fan of the Beatles, there was no way I couldn't not enjoy this movie. Even if I wasn't the film has a lot to offer - the performances feel surprisingly natural (a rarity from musicians, thus giving another reason why the Beatles are better than a lot of musicians), the film deftly combines slapstick, witty dialogue, and 60's sensibilities into a consistently funny film, and the music is great. Arguably the greatest film made to capitalize on a musical commodity. Verdict: A
October 8, 2015
There's a youthful and mercurial aspect to this film that jets through the screen, yet even with a killer soundtrack, modern audience may not "get it".
½ September 28, 2015
Four teenagers goofing around and trying to be funny. Which they're not. I guarantee if this had starred 4 unknown teenagers, everyone would have dismissed it as a long, boring, self-promoting, unfunny music video. But it's the Beatles, so somehow that turns crap into brilliance. I'm convinced that if the Beatles all pooped on the sidewalk, a large crowd would gather and worship it.