Beats Reviews

• 3d ago

Which beats movie of 2019 is this? Well I guess it doesn't matter. Forget them both.

• May 17, 2020

bad pastiche of Trainspotting in energy, two dimensional characters bubbling around in a plotless world.

• Apr 23, 2020

What emerges from a straightforward story is a deceptively beautiful friendship and an infectious attitude rebelling against social class and authority. Fans of dance/trance/tech music will be extra fond of Beats.

• Apr 22, 2020

I was on my way to just dismissing this movie a little over a third of the way through, but that's why you keep watching if there's enough in there to make it worth sticking with it in case it does turn it around. This one sure as hell did. After getting past some of the Trainspotting, Jr-esque aspects and the very unscary wingnut, it settled into a really fine film. The last half was exceptional; from the whole group taking off, Wee Man at the wheel, to trippin' their Balzacs off while some orgiastic psychedelic visuals start flashing across the screen as color enters the viewers sight for the first time in the movie proper. I kept waiting for them to kiss, ya know? Ortega & Macdonald are over the top good. Cool rundown at the end. RIP Cat.

• Mar 21, 2020

A down-to-Earth tale of two good friends and their love for the beat. The boys delve in to music, protest, drink, drugs and dance. It's quite raw and something I can imagine in those times. I enjoyed particular how close their friendship gets and the peak of their happiness. Great film.

• Jan 11, 2020

Story about passion for music and true friendship!Who loves UK movies, loves this!

• Dec 21, 2019

Capture the music and mood perfectly, with a great friendship at the centre.

Capture the music and mood perfectly, with a great friendship at the centre.

• Dec 04, 2019

Back in UK, 1994, two young mates share some serious interest in music and really wants to go to a rave together before one of them are moving away with his mom and step-father. They doesn't share much else as one of them has some bad family story and kind of lives up to his rumor - still a very solid and kind lad when you get to know him. The other boy got a job and a caring family. Anyhow, they sacrifice a whole lot and goes all in for this trip to a rave. It's a film that has a long build up, some climax and a neat come-down - but it does not seem dragged. Possibly the best non-doc film about rave culture. It has a great sound track, a nice black and white look and some very believeable perfromances. I liked it and found it to be a funny, charming and at times exciting film about music and friendship. 7 out of 10 lava lamps.

• Nov 29, 2019

Really draws you in. Gay subplot as one boy realizes his love and kinship of the other. I only wish the music portions had been longer. I'm intrigued to see it as a play.

• Nov 05, 2019

Fantastic coming of age movie that catches the spirit of the 1990s rave scene.

Fantastic coming of age movie that catches the spirit of the 1990s rave scene.