Beauty and the Beast - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty and the Beast Reviews

October 16, 2017
Poorly done. bad CGI, second rate singing and way too much political correctness.
October 16, 2017
It's ok same layout as other movie
October 15, 2017
Not bad. Not nearly as good as the original, though.
October 15, 2017
It felt like the whole thing is miscasted with actors that were chosen based on star power instead of how well they would fit the role, The worst offender is Emma Watson who is not a good singer and who's acting is not appropriate for this role.

I also disliked the politics that were unfortunately unnecessarily added to the film, This is a disney classic and it is a shame they felt they needed to add this nonsense.
October 15, 2017
Reviewed 4.14.17. For young lovers of Disney, or fanatical older fans, this new Beast surely delivers the goods. But for those seeking more than a note by note recreation of the Disney classic, you're in for a completely predictable two hours. Personally, it was what I expected, no more no less. It had its moments.....in particular I enjoyed Josh Gad's brief comical moments as LeFou. Additionally the CGI presentation of the household characters was a modern gift to this version of the movie. Speaking of CGI though, after a wonderful opening musical number which had me whispering to my wife 'love the old school set,' it was mostly garish backdrops from there on...including an inexplicable decision to avoid an on location shot for Belle's (Emma Watson) mountain-top musical number. It had me longing for the days when the 'hills were alive' but alas this was no The Sound of Music, just another modern big budget CGI world....redeemed only by the charm of the over 275 year-old source material, and just a dash of Disney magic.
October 15, 2017
Not usually my kind of movie but really enjoyed this! A great lazy Sunday film :)
October 15, 2017
I went to see it and it was ok although it's not as good as the original animated movie and why can't people stop whining about having a couple openly gay characters in the movie we of the LGBT community have been hiding in the darkness and constantly shunned away by hatred of cruel society let us live our lives and congrats to Disney for not removing the gay characters despite what the stupid bigots say but still the movie wasn't great
October 15, 2017
The original Beauty and the Beast is considered one of the greatest animated films Disney has ever made. This adaptation rides high on that nostalgia, delivering on the story we love, with some extra bonus stuff thrown in to make sure we hit that feature-length runtime.

I will spare you the story, because you almost certainly know it. I really like how little it deviates from the original. The songs are all there, the characters are well-realized, even many of the shots are the same. The relationship between Belle and her father is done very well, as is the relationship between her and the Beast.

There are a couple of new songs to pad the runtime. While they are well-performed, I don't know if it makes the move flow as easily as it could. I did enjoy the opening scene, fleshing out what was only told in stained glass in the original. Also, some of the songs were reworked to make them longer, which made some of the lyrics and editing less tight.

There's a mixed bag of acting here. Emma Watson is great, but her singing voice leaves something to be desired. I really enjoyed Dan Stevens as Beast. Kevin Kline is also great as Maurice. While Luke Evans gives his all as Gaston, I disagree with the decisions they made (he should have been a bass, not a tenor). Josh Gad is well-cast as LeFou. Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellen play off each other very well as Lumiere and Cogsworth.

Nostalgia is definitely a main reason why I enjoyed this. However, nostalgia for a great film still makes a memorable experience, even if it can't possibly live up to the magic of the original.
½ October 13, 2017
Beautiful looking cinematography, but mediocre acting, poor singing, and many times it felt awkward. Did not live up to the hype.
October 11, 2017
???????????? #gregghead
October 11, 2017
Overall, I enjoyed this movie. There were some additions that were...unnecessary. Additions that were out of scope of the beautiful story already in place. But in whole I think this movie was enhanced by the modified script and the unanimated portrayal of animated scenes.
½ October 11, 2017
Bland and soulless remake, Emma Watson is a terrible choice for Belle.
½ October 11, 2017
absolutely a terrible movie songs were terrible writing was awful talented cast wasted
½ October 11, 2017
it was bland and uninteresting. the only good thing that came from this was it made me appreciate the original much better
½ October 9, 2017
How do I say this? This was an astonishing and wonderful film that is my new favorite Disney film!!! Better actors and better action than the original!!
October 9, 2017
Beauty and the Beast is one of my all-time favorites
October 9, 2017
Growing up in the 90's, my childhood was primarily all about Disney films, those animated tales that helped us escape from reality, with the original 'Beauty and the Beast' still holding up today as one of Disney's finest efforts. So when a film that's as important to our childhood is remade into a live action adaptation, opinions are going to be divisive, as they are here. To sum it up however, this film (against my expectations) isn't actually bad... but damn was it still embarrassing to ask for a ticket for this at the cinema...

Bill Condon is an unknown director, primarily for one reason, his catalogue of films are practically tripe, yeah I'm looking at you 'Twilight', so why Disney entrusted him with a project of this scale is beyond me, probably revolving around financial gain, but heck this is still his strongest effort to date.

The best way to describe this film is that it's technically a shot-for-shot remake, but with extra filler scenes in-between. The main "wow" factor of this film is in its gorgeous production design and costume design, of which I wouldn't be surprised got Oscar nominations next year. The cinematography is generally rather alluring and the visual effects are pristine, but lack in comparison to say 'The Jungle Book' (arguably Disney's strongest live-action adaptation of recent years). I can't fault the acting (maybe Ewan McGregor's flimsy French accent aside) and the songs were executed brilliantly.

My main issue however, was how "dumbed-down" this film was in comparison to the original, perhaps kids of the 90's were just a little more intelligent and didn't need those gags... who knows, but despite it all, the film has that magical vista we all need in our life, something to make us smile. Sure, it'll never stand up to the original, and there are noticeable flaws lying about, but this aside it is still a charming film.
October 8, 2017
Very well done for what they did copying the disney version but where they deviated it wasnt very good in my opinion. probably wont watch it again.
October 8, 2017
Dazzling, Magical, Beautiful, Stunning, Warm Hearted, Amazing songs.
½ October 8, 2017
This is the classic case of an unnecessary remake. On one hand, it does not feature enough new scenes or subplots to differentiate itself from the classic 1991 feature; yet on the other hand, all of the ACTUAL new content is unjustified and proves to be ultimately superfluous to the main story and its themes. A couple of the sequences are thrilling to watch (notably Gaston's song and "Be Our Guest"), but most of the music cannot hold a candle (sorry for the pun) to the original film's songs. Heck, why didn't they just let Emma Watson sing normally without having to distort her voice so badly with the dubbing?! Even though the CGI is supposed to make everything look better, the talking anthropomorphize objects turn out to be a little too creepy in their artificiality. The only thing I can recommend seeing this flick for is the fantastic, lavish production design (that will probably take the Oscar next year). If you want to watch a rousing live-action musical, either stick with the unimpeachable animated movie or throw on 2012's "Les Miserables" instead.