Before Midnight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Midnight Reviews

June 18, 2017
Love is messy here, life cannot be controlled, satisfaction is far from guaranteed. Romance is rocky at best. But romance still is
June 8, 2017
Bear with me, I shall compare this trilogy to Star Wars. The first movie established a premise, with flying colours despite, or perhaps because of, trope indulgences. They turn the tropes into something refreshing, much needed for their respective genres. The second movie uses what was great about the predecessor, for the creation of a cinematic masterpiece. The third movie finishes unfinished business, with satisfying results amid surprisingly weak moments. And much like Return of the Jedi, Before Midnight is the only film in the series that would struggle to stand on its own. The characters have grown older, wiser, and at the brink of midlife crises. A common theme in the trilogy is that Hawke and Delpy have open, non-judgmental, thought-provoking conversations, yet struggle to communicate how they feel in a direct manner. Before Midnight highlights the dark side to this. What if they actually need to be away from each other? More fruit for thought, only this time, it's at the expense of the same level of interest that was attained in previous movies. I don't believe it was bound to happen, but nevertheless, expect some of the usual relationship conflicts and miscommunication in most other romance films. Hawke and Delpy's commitment to their roles makes up for that greatly, and it's not that I don't believe the conflict on screen. Linklater's take on romance is refreshingly in touch with reality. I just had to make more of an effort to care, this time around.
June 2, 2017
I love the Before trilogy. To me, these movies are a perfect example of a realistic romantic portrayed on screen. Once again, Richard Linklater gives us a beautifully crafted film with powerful performances and wonderful writing.
May 26, 2017
Just Brilliant how this movie captures the complications of marriage and how people get thru it
½ May 14, 2017
Poignant walk through the bumps along the road, capping off a truly remarkable trilogy about love, time, and connection. Beautiful stuff.
April 7, 2017
There were times when I thought that it may be an exercise in punishing those that have made it this far with Jesse and Celine. However, that's true love; you have to take the good with the bad, and it's beautiful to see the trio of Linklater, Hawke and Delpy examining the bad.

We saw the mystery and hope of new love in "Before Sunrise"; the joy and uncertainty of reunion in "Before Sunset", and now we see the growth and pain of time in "Before Midnight". It's a perfect ending to a perfect trilogy.
April 1, 2017
Cutting 90% of the fist half this movie would have been perfect.
½ April 1, 2017
being grown-ups sucks. you get in fights all the time. i get it. the last episode takes a different approach, and that's why it breaks the mood of the first two. I watched them all back to back so this one was shocking because of how different it was. it's realistic, I get it, but it doesn't carry the charm offered by Sunrise and Sunset. being grown-ups sucks.
½ March 20, 2017
After almost 20 years from their first encounter comes the third greatly anticipated sequel.

Linklater kept the same love of conversational dialogues, long takes that value the joy of performance and interaction along with the gorgeous European locations (This time it's Greece).
February 12, 2017
Linklater's romance trilogy comes to a fitting end in Before Midnight. Hawke and Delpy give standout performances, while some of the best writing is on display.
½ January 8, 2017
This was literally the most boring movie I've ever seen. It was almost like I watched Ethan Hawke's entire career burn to the ground in the most unentertaining hour and fourty nine minutes of my life. Seriously, do not watch this waste of time!!!
December 20, 2016
Oh brother... I didn't even know they made a third (and hopefully final) movie in this series of dreck and abject boredom. I saw the first movie thanks to a free ticket and walked out after about the 100th predictable movie cliche. What a waste.
½ November 24, 2016
It is immensely refreshing to see again these two characters who we once (twice) learned to love, now in a story that examines with utmost honest the natural conflicts of married life - which are also present for this couple who seemed so suited for a happy ending together.
November 18, 2016
I don't get it. I can appreciate the performance of Julie and Ethan, but the movie lacks an interesting storyline, or at least it's not interesting enough for me. The conversation, situations and disagreements are all too familiar. I don't find them intriguing, fascinating, or even entertaining, which is what I like to find in movies. Good acting, huge disappointment as a movie.
November 5, 2016
Before Midnight's central tone and themes separate it from the original film in many ways, but to a degree, it is more of a spiritual sequel than Before Sunset. It focuses mainly on the messiness of real relationships and how even the purest of love stories often has an ugly and cynical side that can resurface and manifest itself at any moment. Jealousy, depression, anxiety, idealism, deception, regret, communication, facades, broken families, contentment, and perseverance all take center stage as the film discusses its central question: does true love fade? The film benefits from its use of different perspectives from a limited, albeit diversely aged, cast in the opening act, and these dinnertime debates serve as the foundation of the sparkling yet heart wrenching discussions and fights of the leads. Nonetheless, the malicious words and seemingly endless despair and pathos of the evolving conversation serve to beautifully juxtapose the film's wonderfully affecting, sentimental, and optimistic closing scene that provides a touching callback to Before Sunrise.
October 25, 2016
This perfectly ends the beautiful 'Before' triology
½ September 11, 2016
Um must see para toda a gente. A intimidade que e a naturalidade como tudo nos passa é simplesmente de tirar o fôlego
½ September 10, 2016
I loved the original but man, this was frustrating. I'm not the kind of person that can tolerate couple bickering and this movie is chock full of it. So much so that at times I couldn't tell if they were serious or joking. Ugh, if this is how you communicate this can't be considered functional. Argh!
September 8, 2016
It is the best trilogy cinema has given . They could've gone too romantic or bright but it reveals the best real illustration for keeping love goes whatever happens
Great emotional movie.
½ August 27, 2016
Weakest of the three. All arguing.