Before Midnight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Midnight Reviews

½ November 5, 2017
Richard Linklater retrouve Ethan Hawke et Julie Delpy pour un troisième épisode de sa saga pour le plus grand plaisir de tous, que ce soit les spectateurs ou le sien et c'est très visible. En effet, il nous gratifie encore de grandes discussions, comparables aux setpieces des plus gros blockbusters. Ici, deux gros morceaux sortent du lot : une discussion où Hawke et Delpy sont quasi figurants entre des amis en Grèce et une petite demi-heure terriblement forte en émotions dans un hôtel de luxe. Encore une fois, les dialogues sont douloureusement justes, les acteurs sont absolument parfaits et la réalisation de Linklater parfaite. Comme s'il nous manquait juste de les voir interagir avec des personnes extérieures. Cependant, on peut commencer à se demander si un quatrième opus serait vraiment nécessaire.
½ October 22, 2017
After watching Boyhood, it made me want to go back and watch this movie. I actually started watching this movie four years ago (back when it came out) but had to stop halfway through! I finally got the chance to finish it last night. This movie really left me in awe. I've really liked Linklater's other two Before movies, but this one might be my favorite. The other two were definitely not mainstream tripe, but I really feel like this one was the most mature. Call it the most mature out of a very mature trilogy. This is a wise film, and masterfully made. Its deep meditations on love, life, families, and so on, are so intelligently presented; whether you agree with them or not. This is what will spark conversation after the movie! The themes are so well-explored that you WANT to talk about them at the end of it, and the conclusion that the movie ends up at is not contrived in any way, and is honestly very realistic whilst being ever-so optimistic. This movie feels SO real. Every conversation had me invested, and when they bickered or really argued I got anxious because of how real and on-edge it made me feel. Frankly, it reminded me of people I know, which put me even more on-edge. The dialogue, these performances, the long takes; all of it is beautiful. And if I can link this to my Boyhood review (and further make my point there), this movie and Boyhood are both great on a technical scale, of course, but this one made me feel. Boyhood didn't. That's the difference for me. But in closing, this is a great movie that will spark conversation about love and commitment for years to come. A splendid film; something to enjoy, and also be inspired by.
½ October 22, 2017
This is a horrible film. I could hardly stand to watch it. Who wants to see two miserable parents bickering for two hours? I really don't trust your ratings system, Rotten Tomato.
October 13, 2017
Before Midnight's central tone and themes separate it from the original film in many ways, but to a degree, it is more of a spiritual sequel than Before Sunset. It focuses mainly on the messiness of real relationships and how even the purest of love stories often has an ugly and cynical side that can resurface and manifest itself at any moment. Jealousy, depression, anxiety, idealism, deception, regret, communication, facades, broken families, contentment, and perseverance all take center stage as the film discusses its central question: does true love fade? The film benefits from its use of different perspectives from a limited, albeit diversely aged, cast in the opening act, and these dinnertime debates serve as the foundation of the sparkling yet heart wrenching discussions and fights of the leads. Nonetheless, the malicious words and seemingly endless despair and pathos of the evolving conversation serve to beautifully juxtapose the film's wonderfully affecting, sentimental, and optimistic closing scene that provides a touching callback to Before Sunrise.
October 3, 2017
So I really enjoyed the chemistry of our two stars from Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, but I will say in this movie it wasn't as lighthearted. It seemed to me to be a bit more heavy and instead of a romance it felt like the ending of a romance. But before it ends we are rewarded and we get a good ending. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two movies, it was still enjoyable.
½ September 17, 2017
La tercera (y ultima?) parte de las peliculas "antes del... " trata sobre los interesantes topicos de una tipica vida en pareja. En la primera se conocieron y enamoraron, en la segunda confirmaron que tenian que estar juntos, en esta se ponen a prueba para ver si, en realidad, eso es lo que desean. Es real.
July 12, 2017
Evolving through the achievements accomplished from the previous film, this third part conclusion delivers the best it could; a solidly mature and realistic closure, similar to what an old couple conceived by romance always face reaching the difficult years, feed upon the brilliant writing and direction of Linklater, following its two enjoyably natural leads into the struggle of reviving the forgotten feelings delivered in the beginning, all in all leading into a touchingly hard finale that makes for a solid and unique trilogy.
½ July 12, 2017
Linklater's romance trilogy comes to a fitting end in Before Midnight. Hawke and Delpy give standout performances, while some of the best writing is on display. (4.5/5)
June 18, 2017
Love is messy here, life cannot be controlled, satisfaction is far from guaranteed. Romance is rocky at best. But romance still is
June 8, 2017
Bear with me, I shall compare this trilogy to Star Wars. The first movie established a premise, with flying colours despite, or perhaps because of, trope indulgences. They turn the tropes into something refreshing, much needed for their respective genres. The second movie uses what was great about the predecessor, for the creation of a cinematic masterpiece. The third movie finishes unfinished business, with satisfying results amid surprisingly weak moments. And much like Return of the Jedi, Before Midnight is the only film in the series that would struggle to stand on its own. The characters have grown older, wiser, and at the brink of midlife crises. A common theme in the trilogy is that Hawke and Delpy have open, non-judgmental, thought-provoking conversations, yet struggle to communicate how they feel in a direct manner. Before Midnight highlights the dark side to this. What if they actually need to be away from each other? More fruit for thought, only this time, it's at the expense of the same level of interest that was attained in previous movies. I don't believe it was bound to happen, but nevertheless, expect some of the usual relationship conflicts and miscommunication in most other romance films. Hawke and Delpy's commitment to their roles makes up for that greatly, and it's not that I don't believe the conflict on screen. Linklater's take on romance is refreshingly in touch with reality. I just had to make more of an effort to care, this time around.
June 2, 2017
I love the Before trilogy. To me, these movies are a perfect example of a realistic romantic portrayed on screen. Once again, Richard Linklater gives us a beautifully crafted film with powerful performances and wonderful writing.
May 26, 2017
Just Brilliant how this movie captures the complications of marriage and how people get thru it
½ May 14, 2017
Poignant walk through the bumps along the road, capping off a truly remarkable trilogy about love, time, and connection. Beautiful stuff.
April 7, 2017
There were times when I thought that it may be an exercise in punishing those that have made it this far with Jesse and Celine. However, that's true love; you have to take the good with the bad, and it's beautiful to see the trio of Linklater, Hawke and Delpy examining the bad.

We saw the mystery and hope of new love in "Before Sunrise"; the joy and uncertainty of reunion in "Before Sunset", and now we see the growth and pain of time in "Before Midnight". It's a perfect ending to a perfect trilogy.
April 1, 2017
Cutting 90% of the fist half this movie would have been perfect.
½ April 1, 2017
being grown-ups sucks. you get in fights all the time. i get it. the last episode takes a different approach, and that's why it breaks the mood of the first two. I watched them all back to back so this one was shocking because of how different it was. it's realistic, I get it, but it doesn't carry the charm offered by Sunrise and Sunset. being grown-ups sucks.
½ March 20, 2017
After almost 20 years from their first encounter comes the third greatly anticipated sequel.

Linklater kept the same love of conversational dialogues, long takes that value the joy of performance and interaction along with the gorgeous European locations (This time it's Greece).
½ January 8, 2017
This was literally the most boring movie I've ever seen. It was almost like I watched Ethan Hawke's entire career burn to the ground in the most unentertaining hour and fourty nine minutes of my life. Seriously, do not watch this waste of time!!!
December 20, 2016
Oh brother... I didn't even know they made a third (and hopefully final) movie in this series of dreck and abject boredom. I saw the first movie thanks to a free ticket and walked out after about the 100th predictable movie cliche. What a waste.
½ November 24, 2016
It is immensely refreshing to see again these two characters who we once (twice) learned to love, now in a story that examines with utmost honest the natural conflicts of married life - which are also present for this couple who seemed so suited for a happy ending together.