Before Midnight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Before Midnight Reviews

½ September 11, 2016
Um must see para toda a gente. A intimidade que e a naturalidade como tudo nos passa é simplesmente de tirar o fôlego
½ September 10, 2016
I loved the original but man, this was frustrating. I'm not the kind of person that can tolerate couple bickering and this movie is chock full of it. So much so that at times I couldn't tell if they were serious or joking. Ugh, if this is how you communicate this can't be considered functional. Argh!
September 10, 2016
Before Midnight's central tone and themes separate it from the original film in many ways, but to a degree, is more of a spiritual sequel than Before Sunset. It focuses mainly on the messiness of real relationships and how even the purest of love stories often has an ugly and cynical side that can resurface and manifest itself at any moment. Jealousy, depression, anxiety, idealism, deception, regret, communication, facades, broken families, contentment, and perseverance all take center stage as the film discusses its central question: does true love fade? The film benefits from its use of different perspectives from a limited, albeit diversely aged, cast in the opening act, and these dinnertime debates serve as the foundation of the sparkling yet heart wrenching discussions and fights of the leads. Nonetheless, the malicious words and seemingly endless despair and pathos of the evolving conversation serves to beautifully juxtapose the film's wonderfully affecting, sentimental, and optimistic closing scene that provides a touching callback to Before Sunrise.
September 8, 2016
It is the best trilogy cinema has given . They could've gone too romantic or bright but it reveals the best real illustration for keeping love goes whatever happens
Great emotional movie.
½ August 27, 2016
Weakest of the three. All arguing.
August 27, 2016
Why did I want to see this? I stopped not 15 mins into it...
August 5, 2016
Didn't even realise they'd made a third one.
½ July 19, 2016
too fuckin' intenseeeee ! ?????
½ July 16, 2016
Watching this fictional film couple grow together has been like a gift to cinema fans. Linklater, Hawke, and Delpy create a relationship that is so perfectly imperfect you can't help but swoon. This decidedly more mature entry posits that life isn't so much a moral destination as it is a plotless journey that we can only hope to fill with love and a bit of meaning. Funny, cringe-worthy, uncomfortable, honest, abrasive, and compelling.
½ July 11, 2016
Another beautiful movie in a very moving series.

This film had a very similar tone to the others. All three movies are composed of very few long shots. I think this one could be boiled down to less than half a dozen scenes in total, where every one tells a completely different story and shows a different side of these lovable characters.

The scene where they were driving just shows a couple that's been together for a little while having fun, driving around, reminiscing, and just enjoying the moment. The scene where Jesse discusses his idea for the next book gives a look into what kind of person he is and what he does for a living. It only took two decades, but we see how an individual's career is ever changing and doesn't have predetermine achievable milestones. The lunch table scene was probably my favorite. It was a conversation that touched on physical attraction, emotional connection, young love, loved that transcends death, the rise of AI in computing technology, literature and so much more. Set in a beautiful atmosphere where I would love to spend a summer, it was a group of individuals I would have loved to dine with. The scene where they walked through the city gave me hope. It showed that relationships aren't so bad if you put a bit of effort into them. However, the last scene ruined it all. It was tough to watch and hit really close to home, where a lot of the debates are ones I've seen myself growing up.

I love that the tone and the characters remain the same but the themes change. It shows that we, as people, never really change, but it is only what we're concerned with around us that's mutable. Our view and perspective of the world may develop and become more well grounded, but for the most part it is still the same. Jesse was a horny teenager in 1994, 2003 and 2012. At first he had no worries and no plans, then he had a bad marriage with a kid and a best seller, and eventually he moved on to two marriages, established as an author, but still a horny teenager. Celine was always a crazy political feminist/activist, and nothing changed. The only difference is that she simply had more responsibilities and shit to deal with after the twins were born.

If not for the very last scene, I'd have a very difficult time letting go of the movie, but it's relieving to see that they found a way to reconnect and reignite the flame of passion from almost two decades ago. Can't wait for the next one :)
July 8, 2016
It's not long into Before Midnight before we realize that something's off here. It's Ethan Hawke's Jesse and Julie Delpy's Céline another nine years later, this time vacationing in Greece, but they're different now. The idealistic nature of the two completely unrelated souls that were seemingly meant to cross paths in Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise is gone, and taking its place is are two reflective, troubled souls. This kind of somber storytelling was introduced in Before Sunset, sandwiched in between Sunrise and Midnight, but the latter pushes it even further. All seems well at first, with Jesse and Céline engaging in the same kind of intellectual conversations, and ultra long takes of course (one take involving a long car ride is particularly impressive), Linklater has seemingly perfected, but problems slowly but surely arise as this 18 year relationship begins to take its toll on our protagonists. It results in a tense standoff between the two characters that makes them, and us as viewers too, question if this relationship was truly meant to be. It's absolutely heartbreaking and truly bittersweet, and the film as a whole is most likely Linklater's most mature outing to date.

The Greek setting seems to mirror this relationship rather well. It's an undeniably beautiful sight to behold, even despite its age. Perhaps it was more beautiful in the past, but like all things, age has taken its toll, and it's not quite the same as it once was. Maybe this is just all coincidence, but don't put it past someone as intelligent and philosophical as Richard Linklater.
July 3, 2016
Para mi esta demás ,tiene demasiados diálogos y no suma 4/10
½ July 3, 2016
I keep thinking it'll get better across the movie series, but all the so-called banter is merely an excuse to be unkind to one another. If this is Linklater's idea of how loving couples interact, I hope there are no couples that share his idea of what chemistry is.
June 28, 2016
A marvelous story about love and romantic relationships. It is almost like a long dialogue that spans troughout one day.
There is room for talks about friends, dissatisfactions, past, future. Cleverly written even with some funny moments, but sometimes also a bit too factitious to the point of fake.
All around Before Midnight is enjoyable and will please especially all lovers of deep philosophic dramedies.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American romance with empty two-way dialogues.
June 21, 2016
Infinitely boring American drama with empty two-way dialogues.
½ June 19, 2016
Not as good as the first two but still well-made.
½ June 16, 2016
All I can say is that this part was the most realistic one. The struggles of everyday life, love, marriage, and compromise are just so vivid here -- added with more sexual elements.
½ June 7, 2016
Mature, complex, funny and heartbreaking, Before Midnight finds Richard Linklater at his very best delivering existencial dialogues and marriage issues - boasting yet another pair of winning performances from Delpy and Hawke.
½ May 16, 2016
I thought this installment was certainly the weakest in the trilogy. The setting was a little too perfect, the stories and silences a little too planned just so. What really made me eyeroll was how this little lover's spat was blown out of all proportion and turned into a discourse on feminism. Celine's resentments just seemed to come out of nowhere and it would have been much more interesting to me to see a conflict in their relationship born out of their actual problems instead of what felt like some contrived foray into feminism.