Big Trouble in Little China - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Trouble in Little China Reviews

September 3, 2017
A classic Kurt Russel film. A mix of action, comedy, romance and Chinese mythology. It makes for a very entertaining movie.
August 14, 2017
A fun and entertaining ride worth taking over and over again
½ June 16, 2017
That was ridiculous, ultra cheesy, bonkers and way too over-the-top...which is why I liked it. Kurt Russell is awesome.
June 4, 2017
If there is one thing Jack Burton knows, it is how to make a great movie!
June 3, 2017
Definitely not my favorite Carpenter film. This one uses elaborate sets and expensive special effects in lieu of good storytelling and interesting characters. If it weren't for Kurt Russel's hilarious and incredibly fun performance, this film would be completely forgettable.
June 1, 2017
greatest movie ever made!!!! you can thank this movie for making mortal kombat being created!
May 8, 2017
crazy, weird and fun.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie is just too much fun to not like.
April 14, 2017
Wow, this film had everything. The action, the humour, the soundtrack. I watched this as a Cult Classics night for the first time this year. What a pleasant surprise. This is absolutely Kurt Russell at his finest. If you haven't seen this, I'd highly recommend it.
April 3, 2017
Fast paced, energetic, and brimming with humor Big Trouble In Little China manages to overwhelm its audience with charm despite some dated effects and its B movie troupes.
Grade: B+
½ April 3, 2017
On first viewing the movie felt very much to me like nothing more than a cheesy popcorn action flick. I saw it all as just a lighthearted romp through Chinatown with extremely enjoyable yet bemusing magical Chinese mumbo jumbo, the most average of Joes in the protagonist, patriotic trucker Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) doing the whole save-the-world, beat-the-bad-guy, and get-the-girl shtick, leading an ensemble of fun stock characters against a campy as hell villain, Lo Pen (James Hong). It wasn't until later that it dawned on me how that mix of both simplicity and creativity made this movie so brilliant. Jack being such an average Joe lampoons the tough-as-nails white American badass with a minority sidekick being the special someone to take on all the minions in combat and thwart the villain's evil plans. As Carpenter himself has stated, Burton is the sidekick to the ass-kicking, good-natured Wang Chi (Dennis Dun), who is the skilled fighter, largely familiar with the Chinese lore, and whom the stakes are higher for seeing as how the love of his life, Miao Yin (Suzee Pai) is whom he is fighting to be reunited with. Burton, in contrast, is a bumbling trucker who can barely throw a punch, is as utterly confused as the audience throughout the course of the film, and has very little chemistry or connection to his green-eyed lady of the film, Gracie Law (Kim Cattrall).
Why the movie bombed with both critics and audiences I cannot say for sure. While I am certain opening the same week as James Cameron's Aliens didn't help, reading the critical reviews at the time gives me the impression that like me, people did not know they were getting something new and clever in Big Trouble in Little China, oblivious to all the clever spins on certain tropes in contemporary action movies and instead looking at the movie as a silly generic fantasy action movie. Since then it seems people appreciate those clever storytelling devices more, and combined with the film's unique production design, innovative albeit random practical and visual effects, entertaining fight choreography, and corny yet likeable characters make not only a fun-as-hell action movie with some clever plays on conventional action cliches, but also a largely influential action film that inspired the likes of the characters of Shang Tsung and Raiden from Mortal Kombat, but I would not be surprised if say George Miller took the influence of the "main character being a sidekick in his own movie" spin in Mad Max: Fury Road.
March 23, 2017
Ridiculously funny! Weird I didn't remember anything about this movie from watching it years ago except that it had Kurt Russell in it and was set in Little China and was ridiculous and funny because of that. Yep, it's funny that the main character is so useless...heh.
½ March 17, 2017
I love this movie even though it is cheesy and kind of bad. But it is action-packed and lovable anyways.
February 28, 2017
Sooooo fucking weird....but strangely kept my interest lol
February 20, 2017
I didn't really enjoy it and I really tried. The premise was interesting and it had great actors but the plot was so bizarre and all over the place and made zero sense. Special effects were also very poor but that was more because of the type of movie it was.
February 12, 2017
Over the top, non-stop stream of action and WTF moments. It's crazy, wacky, and so confident in itself that you can't help but like it. Easily one of John Carpenter's best films.
½ January 27, 2017
I know people who swear by this film. Finally watched it after all these years. Was ok. Will give this one another chance down the line. I have always like John Carpenter.
January 16, 2017
A truck driver takes on a gang in chinatown to help save his friend's wife, that's as far as i got, the critic consensus says that this movie is packed with humor but I didn't laugh once and it could only be considered funny if your laughing at what a joke the movie is, you know its a bad sign when you go to the fridge to get a beer and when you come back the tv is shut off and everybody has left the room, the opening scene with Kurt Russell was a bit awkward but i would hesitate to call it funny, I imagine this film rated so high because everybody that reviewed it was as drunk as i was when they watched it and probably only remembered the knee slapper at the beginning of the movie before shutting it off. horrible mid 80's special effects, best part of the movie was the grandpa from three ninja's kickback. All that being said I give it one star but i can't say that this film fully deserves it.
January 14, 2017
Big Trouble in Little China defines the word fun.
January 13, 2017
This was ridiculous, I usually love stuff like this. But this was garbage.