Big Trouble in Little China - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Trouble in Little China Reviews

January 16, 2017
A truck driver takes on a gang in chinatown to help save his friend's wife, that's as far as i got, the critic consensus says that this movie is packed with humor but I didn't laugh once and it could only be considered funny if your laughing at what a joke the movie is, you know its a bad sign when you go to the fridge to get a beer and when you come back the tv is shut off and everybody has left the room, the opening scene with Kurt Russell was a bit awkward but i would hesitate to call it funny, I imagine this film rated so high because everybody that reviewed it was as drunk as i was when they watched it and probably only remembered the knee slapper at the beginning of the movie before shutting it off. horrible mid 80's special effects, best part of the movie was the grandpa from three ninja's kickback. All that being said I give it one star but i can't say that this film fully deserves it.
January 14, 2017
Big Trouble in Little China defines the word fun.
January 13, 2017
This was ridiculous, I usually love stuff like this. But this was garbage.
January 12, 2017
A fun-blasting ride with great special effects, heavily action packed, and the always compelling presence of Kurt Russell that makes for a big entertaining B-movie.
½ January 2, 2017
I honestly don't know what the hell to think about this movie. The 80s in full effect, I guess.
December 31, 2016
it's all in the reflexes
December 20, 2016
This movie is hilariously awesome.
November 17, 2016
Really really stupid & cheesy. All the characters are boring, and just not funny.
November 8, 2016
Trucker is pulled into Chinatown intrigue when his friend's fiancee is kidnapped. Carpenter brings his right hand man Kurt Russell back with this rather unorthodox venture. A film whose stature has seemed to grow well beyond what it was when released, a box office disappointment.
October 29, 2016
John Carpenter and Kurt Russell at there best!!! One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. Kurt Russell is in absolutely great as Jack Burton. Who gets involved with Weng Che( Dennis Dun) after a poker game goes bad. They go to pick up his Wengs girlfriend and all goes to hell. She then gets kidnapped by the Lord's of death and his 3 immortal henchmen cause of her green eyes. Brilliantly played by Lo Pan (James Hong ) Chinese girls don't have green eyes! And now it's up to Jack Burton to save the day!!! Brilliantly directed as a B-movie with Kurt Russell playing in probably in my opinion. One of the best performances ever in a movie. I know that is crazy but here me out. Me and my best friend Anthony (Who tragically died in a car accident) use to watch this movie evrey day after gradeschool and highschool! His step dad the coolest guy ever Jason Jacobo got Anthony and me into this movie so much. That we use to rehearse scenes from the movie daily. On the weekends, weekdays, or whenever. But the entire supporting cast is brilliant too. Especially Egg Chen (Victor Wong). A very underrated movie. And in my opinion one of the best movie of the 80's! My #6 movie of all time!!!
October 23, 2016
Great action sci-fi movie starring Kurt coban. This movie is just flat out awesome, I love all the characters , it's a good pop corn flick. I live in san Francisco and it rarely rains here but in the movie it rains a lot. I wish it rains this much in actual san Francisco because of the drought, maybe when this movie was made there was no drought. Kurt cobans character is just cool, he would be an awesome best friend to have. I heard that there is going to be a reboot starring the Rock but I bet that it wouldn't be as good as Kurt coban because kurts character has charisma and the rock doesn't have charisma. Even though the special effects suck in this movie the plot backs it up and the characters.
October 22, 2016
I adored this when it was first released and I adore it even more now. Jack Burton is the balls and Carpenter's Pork Chop Express is one of my favourites of his. The perfect mix of comedy, fantasy and action.
½ October 20, 2016
This movie is so ridiculous, it's awesome. Hoaky acting, over-the-top story, cheesy fight scenes but a whole ton of fun. Kurt Russell plays the perfect "Too cool" character along with his goofy sidekicks and the action scenes are hilarious. Defying the laws of gravity and contains some of the funniest deaths on screen. This film is not for everybody. This film knows how dumb it is and has fun with it. If these lines were in something like a Bourne movie, they would be cringeworthy, but here they are comedic gold. If you like Schlock in your movies, check out Big Trouble in Little China!
½ October 4, 2016
Phenomenal tribute to b movies
½ October 3, 2016
Somehow Road House had a baby with the very campiest of 1960s Hong Kong, and John Carpenter signed on to direct (plus compose the soundtrack). Wildly entertaining, and self-aware enough to embrace the sheer lunacy of mysically-powered gang warfare amidst the nooks and crannies of Chinatown, it's no wonder this would become such a cult classic. Kurt Russel is dead-perfect as Jack Burton, the brash, headstrong, somewhat confused would-be hero who doesn't realize he's actually the sidekick. As one might expect, things get carried away somewhere between the first trap elevator and the second (must've been a deal at the villainous super-mart this week) but that's actually for the best: Big Trouble is most in its element when it casts aside mere storyline concerns, flies off the handle and embraces its ridiculous side. The plot is simplistic and the fight scenes aren't all that great - too many jump cuts and blunt-handed effects - but the mood is a direct hit and it's certainly never tame. When it comes to the final confrontation, it's more about quick reflexes than martial arts anyway. A board-dumb classic of the bombastic '80s action scene, and one of my favorite empty climaxes ever. Here's hoping Hollywood understands what made it work so well when they push out the impending remake.
September 30, 2016
I really enjoyed this film, and it's an earlier film role for Kim Cattrall. The film features Kurt Russell (Jack Burton) as a macho type truck driver that takes no crap. The movie didn't do well at the box office, but it has become a cult hit.
September 21, 2016
Great cult classic 80's movie from the master of the Cult Classic (John Carpenter). Silly, fun, action packed and never dull.
½ September 20, 2016
Mullet at its finest.
September 10, 2016
better than i thought, as dumber as I theought. Love it!!! Even more getting all this mortal kombat vibe, so many things that could have inspired my fav game ever!!!!!
Love it, will watch it again for sure!
½ September 10, 2016
To be honest, I don't feel like this movie holds up today like some 80's movies do. No longer an enjoyable watch.