Big Trouble in Little China - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Big Trouble in Little China Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Carpenter's nonsensical racist "action" movie is also his worst.
July 18, 2016
If I could only have 5 movies to watch for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.
July 17, 2016
This is a fantastic movie. Kurt Russell is perpetually stuck in a movie that he does not want to be in. All he wanted to do was drive his friend to the airport and get some money from a bet he won but then suddenly gets stuck in a kung fu B movie for the rest of the film. He then loses his truck to a Kung Fu street gang and for the rest of the film all Kurt Russell wants is to get his truck back but he cant because the Kung Fu movie wont let him leave.While some may dislike the movie because they basically don't explain anything, in my opinion that is what makes it great. If you view it as you are Kurt Russell's character who like you doesnt know what is happening then it is hilarious. Things will happen and the movie will then just continue on like nothing happened even though Kurt Russell is furiously trying to figure out what is happening, and failing to do so. If you're looking for a movie that is funny because of the situations rather than jokes this is the movie to watch.
½ July 5, 2016
This movie is so ridiculous, it's awesome. Hoaky acting, over-the-top story, cheesy fight scenes but a whole ton of fun. Kurt Russell plays the perfect "Too cool" character along with his goofy sidekicks and the action scenes are hilarious. Defying the laws of gravity and contains some of the funniest deaths on screen. This film is not for everybody. This film knows how dumb it is and has fun with it. If these lines were in something like a Bourne movie, they would be cringeworthy, but here they are comedic gold. If you like Schlock in your movies, check out Big Trouble in Little China!
June 22, 2016
Yes this movie is campy but that's what makes it oh so good!! Kurt Russell's performance is flawless and John Carpenter does all of his great artistic traits. 3 out of 5 stars.
½ June 19, 2016
Fun and campy martial arts film with Kurt Russell with his best John Wayne performance.
vjb
June 17, 2016
Kurt Russell battling undead Chinese warlords, ftw.
May 25, 2016
A constant action-packed and non stop action fantasy movie and certainly one of Carpenter's best, as well as the best movie to have Kurt Russell collaborated with Carpenter. They really really did a great job on this one, and Kim Catrall is great and sexy is this one too. The special effects of this flick are just amazing and surrprising and the acting is terrific, as well as the martial art stunts. I can't really figure out why this movie was such a box office failure, it's pretty good. Funny and recommended !!
May 25, 2016
As eighties as hell, and all the fun that that entails.
May 11, 2016
Big Trouble In Little China is a film where our perceived hero Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) isn't really heroic at all. He's actually a buffoon that's pulled into an extraordinary situation with Wang Chi (Dennis Dun) being the true hero of the film. Jack acts like he knows what he's doing, but he's as clueless as anyone thrown into this situation, making a refreshing look from this fantasy/karate hybrid.

The film opens with Jack accompanying his friend Wang to the airport to pick up Wang's love of his life. In the hectic arrival of a loaded airplane, she is kidnapped and after running into Gracie (Kim Catrall), who has some kind of involvement in the situation, Jack and Wang travel to Chinatown in an attempt to save his love, but stumble onto an otherworldly fight by Lao Pan (James Hong) to use the green eyed girl to restore his flesh. A mishmash of kung fu and fantasy follows as they attempt to stop Lao Pan's misuse of Wang's lady.

Big Trouble is a fun movie to watch. The film has a great flow to it, even though when examining just the plot itself leaves a kind of clunky feel as you run it through your head. John Carpenter smooths over the rough edges by giving us great visuals (even by today's standards) and very nice acting work, particularly from Russell. As I said before, Jack Burton is not the hero of this film. He's more of a loud mouth that is lost in this underworld of Chinatown and it's a wonderful look at how the presumed hero may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. It really is a great performance from Russell, cementing his trilogy of John Carpenter films.

After revisiting this film a thought occurred to me. With all of the movies that are making a return after being defunct for 30+ years Big Trouble in Little China is a film that I see that could succeed by doing something like this. After 30 years I was still left wanting more from this story and these characters. This is one of these films that makes its own kind of definition and really makes a good impression on a viewer. A fine '80's ditty.
½ May 3, 2016
A fun and weird action, martial arts movie. Just a good time to be had here.
½ May 1, 2016
I love John Carpenter, ''The Thing'' (1982) is one of my all time favorite movies, ''Halloween'' (1979) is one of the best horror movies and the best slasher movie of all time, ''They Live'' (1988) is a creative and original movie that's very entertaining, and ''Escape from New York'' (1981) is a solid sci-fi flick. But holy hell, 1986's ''Big Trouble in Little China'' is one of the most ridiculous, stupid, and campy movies i've ever seen.
The characters are as flat as a table, the dialogue is laughable (almost every line of dialogue seems like a cheesy one-liner from a Schwarzenegger film), the effects are pretty bad for todays' standards, and the story goes nowhere after an hour. It seems like such a great idea too! A big-budget, high-tech Hollywood action movie that takes all the clichès of kung fu, and Jackie Chan, and does them right. But ''Big Trouble in Little China'' doesnt do them right unfortunately. "Big Trouble in Little China" takes Jack Burton (portrayed by Kurt Russel) and his friends on a journey through one death-defying challenge after another, and throws in magicians, sorcerers, karate masters and a 2,000-year-old man. The first 30 minutes of the movie gave room for hope. It was fast-moving, it was visually spectacular (not by today's standards, but back then, certainly), it was exotic and lighthearted and filled with a spirit of adventure. But then, gradually, the movie began to recycle itself. It began to feel as if I was seeing the same thing more than once. After one amazing subterranean chamber had been survived and conquered, everybody fell down a chute into another one. By the end of the movie, I was just uninterested and weary. ''Big Trouble in Little China'' benefits from a rollicking wise-ass performance from Kurt Russell, which does result in having a smile on your face whenever he's talking, despite it being a flat character, and a mediocre performance. (Still entertaining to watch tho)

I gave it 2.5/5 simply because it probably is entertaining to watch on a lazy friday night when you're drunk. When i watched it, it was simply entertaining here and there, but as a movie, it's pretty bad.
April 27, 2016
8.3/10
A very fun movie with tons of cheesy 80's acting and action.
April 25, 2016
Oh my god, this movie is ridiculous. Kurt Russell at his comedic best. The special effects are straight out of the 80s but there's lots of action, fighting and snappy wit. Definitely in my top ten.
½ April 24, 2016
Big Trouble In Little China has Kurt Russell play the charming Jack Burton as he gets drawn in to a magical fight against an ancient Chinese spirit. It's a fun movie with a weird story.
½ April 12, 2016
The movie is a cult classic because it's cheesy, it's funny, and it's fun for the family. Even though the MPAA gave the movie a PG-13, the movie should be PG because it's fun for the family, and Kurt Russell makes the film fun. Cheesiness isn't a big deal at this time. It's the comedy that counts.
½ April 10, 2016
This is a brilliant film. This was neglected in its day, but is a masterpiece of biting social commentary and martial arts. Brilliant and funny.
April 10, 2016
Delightful action comedy playing on common tropes of kung fu movies and eighties B-movies alike.
March 23, 2016
96%
A bizarre action/adventure film with an inventive spin on Chinese mythology and hilarious quotes, Big Trouble in Little China holds a special place among John Carpenter's classic filmography.

V: 64%