Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey Reviews

September 27, 2016
Super sequel. Great performances. Funny and great endings, with funny ideas. Clever scenes, and witty concepts.
½ September 7, 2016
Winter and Reeves have great chemistry, and the plot makes some pretty unpredictable choices, but overall doesn't quite thrill or entertain all that much.
½ August 28, 2016
Not as strong as the original. rather dark at first but it's a cult favorite that holds up in a weird way.
½ August 15, 2016
Bill and Ted find themselves taken over by identical robots in this dark, funny sequel to the 1989 hit classic. As far as sequels go, this one is well written and unlike other sequels it separates itself from its predecessor.
½ August 11, 2016
would enjoy a modern remake with death playing first person shooters
½ June 19, 2016
The surfer dudes are replaced on earth by robots while the real dudes go on a journey through hell in this surprisingly entertaining sequel.
½ May 30, 2016
Just stupid. Got one or two chuckles out of me but it wasnt even stupid funny just annoying mostly. It was very corny and the plot was ridic. The special effects and looks are very outdated.
April 27, 2016
"Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" is pretty much what you would expect from the sequel to a dumb comedy. The jokes were funnier the first time around, the quirks of the characters were more amusing the first time around, and the story isn't as interesting. The movie does have its moments. The possession scene the Grim Reaper challenge sequence, and the "Uranus" joke will have you laughing out loud, but there are so many other moments that remind us that the novelty of the first film has worn off. The airheaded charm of the main characters in the first film feels more like bad acting in this sequel. "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure" works because of the historical characters in anachronistic situations. But when you remove the situational comedy of the historical characters, the film relies solely on the character development of Bill and Ted and there isn't really anywhere for it to go. The redeeming quality of this film is William Sadler's performance as the Grim Reaper. The character was very well written and Sadler creates the best comedic moments of the film through his line delivery and accent. Even after providing us with a few laughs, the disjointed resolution of the story does not deliver much of a payoff. "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey" strikes a few positive chords but I would much rather watch "Excellent Adventure" than watch this sequel again.
April 10, 2016
Might be bitten with the nostalgia bug, but after a recent rewatch, Bogus Journey is an incredible sequel, shifting from time travel to quite literally defeating death and traveling the after world to stop evil robot versions of themselves from destroying their legacy of bringing peace to the planet. Awesome cameos and early 90's rock soundtrack if your into that sort of thing. William Sadler as The Grim Reaper is worth the price of admission alone. Station!
March 7, 2016
Saw it in the theater when it released in 1991, I was 13 years old. Loved the 1st movie, loved Bogus Journey. Now my 7 year old saw it in 2016 and he loves it! I admit it's a guilty pleasure due to the silliness of it, but IMO, One of the all-time great endings
February 21, 2016
Just as amazing as the Adventure!
February 9, 2016
I feel like the writers of Bill & Ted were ambushed by the studio and told to make a sequel, and do it quick. This movie has the feeling of being slapped together by a committee who had no idea what to do with another movie and so they just threw out any wacky idea that popped into their heads. Sadly most of those ideas are terrible. Like the one that made them decide that, instead of time travel, this film will focus on the after life. I'll admit that the Grim Reaper becomes (by far) the best character in this film, but the journeys through hell and heaven are lackluster at best. Then there's the evil robots who are kind of funny because they still have the annoying personalities of their counterparts and therefore annoy their master, but the film made them so impossible to defeat that we had to endure the Station insanity. Also I had one of my problems with the first film reappear here...Once again I have some serious difficulty caring about Bill & Ted because I don't find them to be likable characters, which becomes a problem because we have to endure 3 different versions of these lackluster characters. But one of the oddest choices they made in this film was to change the future. In the first film we were given the impression that the future was basically perfect, but the catalyst for this movie is that there is a really bad element to the future, so maybe we don't want Bill & Ted saving it. Not to mention the fact that they never address how messed up things in the future will still be, all they did was resolve stuff in the present. This movie has moments where I chuckle, but overall it's a mess and probably shouldn't have been made. Props to William Sadler though for really nailing the one totally positive aspect of this film, I could watch a movie focused on his Grim Reaper any time.
½ January 7, 2016
The fun and frolics are good in this sequel, especially playing death at various games in a homage to Ingmar Bergman, but the actual story is not as interesting as the first.
December 31, 2015
With the totally bodacious sequel's predecessor being slightly more successful, BIll & Ted's Bogus Journey delivers plenty of equal laughs due to the hilarious comedy's non-heinous trio of leads including a memorable performance by William Sadler as the Grim Reaper.
December 22, 2015
Very good movie. Bill & Ted's return to the big screen is actually surprisingly funny, witty, offers an original take on the classic Seventh Seal plot (even if it doesn't directly or obviously state that), with some good direction, crazy visuals, and good performances from its two leads, along with Sadler as Death.
½ December 21, 2015
Even More Fun & Stupidity & A Little Better Than The Original As It Is A More Interesting Story, Cool Characters (Inc A Classic Grim Reaper) With A Tighter, Clever Script. The Ending Is Awesome Where The Whole Script Gets Thrown Out The Window With Time Dynamics & Flux Capacitors! Haha!
½ November 28, 2015
A crazy, scatterbrained, nonsensical journey through hell, heaven, and time. And a hilarious, borderline genius one at that.
½ October 13, 2015
Solid movie but not as good as the first one
October 9, 2015
Pretty bizarre. Not near as good as the first one, but not too bad.