Blackthorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blackthorn Reviews

June 9, 2016
I was confused this whole movie. I thought the younger Sundance was Butch, and that Sundance took Butch's identity to let his legend live on. It was because Nikolaj had long blonde hair like Robert Redford. The action sequences and cinematography are nice, but the rest of the movie is very average.
½ January 29, 2016
Long, drawn out and lacking much purpose.
½ January 25, 2016
Sam Shepard performs well, the idea of the story is interesting and the photography and staging in Bolivia are breathtaking.

But the performance of the story into a movie is boring and it hurts to see such a good actor as Noriega playing such a bad role.

Clearly, the direction failed to make a good set of individual promises into a better mix.
December 23, 2015
What if Butch Cassidy lived to old age and wasn't killed in Bolivia. That is the premise. A little slow moving at times, but a pretty good modern Western.
½ December 13, 2015
Sam Shepard is decent, the scenery and cinematography are excellent and the setting is right, but the story is a little ridiculous and it has no pulse or excitement. The supporting actors aren't very good and the movie needs more energy.
December 12, 2015
Beautiful photofraphy, and good acting. But at some point it feels like the movie should've ended already, or at least I felt tired of the plot twists, even if they were interesting ones in theory. Anyway, good one!
September 17, 2015
120106: A great movie on a night I was desperate for some western action. Had read about this film and managed to access it. Found it really tied in with the original Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I've always disliked when same characters have to use different actors but, seriously, what you going to do? I also found they had the characters backwards when it came to the young Butch & Sundance, at least physically. Those are the only two complaints. This film has plot twists and surprises; great costuming and firearms; action, a love story; friendship and undying loyalty; and some amazing scenery. Found myself liking Butch, Sam Shepard, as I liked Redford and Newman. Cool. A good fix for this addict.

120722: The only thing new I was thinking about, regarding this movie, is that somehow they try to portray Butch & Sundance as some sort or Robin Hoods, that had certain values, which made them better than "normal" criminals. The revelation that Spanish mine robber, Eduardo Apocada, has robbed from the people, not the rich mine owner, allows Butch to shoot Apocada in the leg, leaving him to the chasing vigilantes. I'm sorry, I'm just not convinced that Butch is a good guy; he's a criminal.
September 11, 2015
Pretty cool little movie about Butch Cassidy in his twilight, after faking his death. On his way home, be takes up with a questionable Spaniard and tries to relive his old days, at the cost of trusting his gut.
March 14, 2015
Bolivia, 1927, Butch Cassidy ... a classic Western. Nicely shot and plotted, very much a genre piece and a good evening's watching. The baddies die easily and the goodies live on despite direct hits.
½ March 3, 2015
(63%)
A handsome modern western that twists a legendary character more for personal acclaim than for the sake of good story telling. Sam Shepard has a perfect feel of an ageing old west outlaw and he is more than capable playing such a well known man. While the rest of the cast isn't exactly all that bad either. It's well shot with some fantastic location work, and the makers have created a very convincing setting. My only issue is whether or not the Butch Cassidy connection and everything that comes with it is actually required, because in all honesty this has enough of an interesting plot without the quite frankly unneeded association distracting from the perfectly fine central theme. The simple fact is this would have been even better, cleaner, more focused film if everyone kept well away from Butch and Sundance, or merely just hinted at the idea.
February 25, 2015
A reimagining of the Butch Cassidy story beyond what is known, and a pretty good western for it with a subtle mood and thoughtfulness in its approach. The acting is stand-out too.
February 22, 2015
Sam Shepard is superb as the tough, grizzled James Blackthorn of the title, in reality the legendary outlaw Butch Cassidy living out his later years as a peaceful horse breeder in Bolivia. An encounter with a Spanish thief leads to his ruthless streak surfacing and a deadly adventure to recover his money. A gritty and believable plot, gunplay in which guns are used as they should be (i.e. not 50 shots from a six-shooter without re-loading) and stunning scenery provide for a western that is much superior to most of the others of this genre.
January 21, 2015
Nice little western even for people that dont like westerns.
September 16, 2014
Great movie. Old men can still move to the beat of adventure. And wisdom continues its trial and error process up til we depart.
½ September 14, 2014
In its own right this is a very decent Western but naturally it'll be compared to its predecessor which was an all time classic. I enjoyed it though.
½ May 16, 2014
If you enjoy westerns, this one is well worth the watch.
April 25, 2014
Solid overall flick with some good character development and portrails that aren't common in most westerns. Kind of slow at times, but a decent ending sequence helps finish it off.
½ April 24, 2014
a lil bit of revisionist history in another butch cassidy western
½ March 15, 2014
I think this may be the greatest western movie ever.
January 5, 2014
They had me at Sam Shepard. I enjoyed this well-told story very much.