Blackthorn Reviews

• May 20, 2018

Sam Shepard is excellent in this fictional western directed by Mateo Gil.

Sam Shepard is excellent in this fictional western directed by Mateo Gil.

• Jan 18, 2017

I'm not sure that I could fully appreciate this movie since I'm not a big Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fan, and have only seen that classic film once. But I definitely appreciated the incredible cinematography and production design of this modern western. And I loved Sam Shepard's performance. I just didn't feel like there was much of a story that meant much of anything. The movie just kind of meanders through a few days over a few miles and then ends. I may revisit this one again down the road and see if something more comes to me from it.

• Aug 27, 2016

Had potential, and is an enjoyable movie if you're in the mood for something mellow and somewhat meaningful. It has a good message at its core but don't go into it expecting an exciting and thrilling western. Beautiful cinematography, slow moving plot, good message. Pacing is the issue and its drawn out and boring at times

• Jun 09, 2016

I was confused this whole movie. I thought the younger Sundance was Butch, and that Sundance took Butch's identity to let his legend live on. It was because Nikolaj had long blonde hair like Robert Redford. The action sequences and cinematography are nice, but the rest of the movie is very average.

• Jan 25, 2016

Sam Shepard performs well, the idea of the story is interesting and the photography and staging in Bolivia are breathtaking. But the performance of the story into a movie is boring and it hurts to see such a good actor as Noriega playing such a bad role. Clearly, the direction failed to make a good set of individual promises into a better mix.

• Dec 23, 2015

What if Butch Cassidy lived to old age and wasn't killed in Bolivia. That is the premise. A little slow moving at times, but a pretty good modern Western.

• Dec 20, 2015

Long, drawn out and lacking much purpose.

Long, drawn out and lacking much purpose.

• Sep 11, 2015

Pretty cool little movie about Butch Cassidy in his twilight, after faking his death. On his way home, be takes up with a questionable Spaniard and tries to relive his old days, at the cost of trusting his gut.

• Mar 14, 2015

Bolivia, 1927, Butch Cassidy ... a classic Western. Nicely shot and plotted, very much a genre piece and a good evening's watching. The baddies die easily and the goodies live on despite direct hits.

• Mar 03, 2015

(63%) A handsome modern western that twists a legendary character more for personal acclaim than for the sake of good story telling. Sam Shepard has a perfect feel of an ageing old west outlaw and he is more than capable playing such a well known man. While the rest of the cast isn't exactly all that bad either. It's well shot with some fantastic location work, and the makers have created a very convincing setting. My only issue is whether or not the Butch Cassidy connection and everything that comes with it is actually required, because in all honesty this has enough of an interesting plot without the quite frankly unneeded association distracting from the perfectly fine central theme. The simple fact is this would have been even better, cleaner, more focused film if everyone kept well away from Butch and Sundance, or merely just hinted at the idea.