Blockers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blockers Reviews

September 23, 2018
This movie is underrated. It is hilarious, and pulls at your heartstrings. It engages with the emotions of the parents (fear of being alone, spousal resentment, poor communication) and the teens (independence, self-discovery, and exploration). It will make you laugh (especially Cena's scenes, and maybe even cry a little. It's a classic in my book.
½ September 18, 2018
9.18.18 library dvd @ home w/Sh
September 18, 2018
Hilarious!! Relatable & likable characters. Good plot & pacing. If you're not a parent, you can relate to being a teenager. If you're a parent, you see 3 parents deal with teenage years, prom night, & the time of letting the little chicks leave the nest. Kudos to John Cena! The most acting I've seen him do...& he was authentic, believable, and a delight! Definitely recommend watching this movie at least once!
½ September 18, 2018
So funny with some rising stars of comedy.
September 16, 2018
They tried to make this a raunchy movie, but all the raunchy scenes involve just ONE actor. John Cena has a bunch of funny moments, but it's not enough. I did appreciate the focus on the girls' bodily autonomy though. Very much.
September 12, 2018
To be honest, I thought the trailer made it look funnier than it was. It had it's moments but I ended up being more annoyed with the parents than entertained... I guess I'm to old for this shit (and I'm not even a parent... hey, maybe that's the thing).
½ September 9, 2018
John cena is starting to become a iconic comedian. Funny story of parents trying to stop the children from having sex in prom night.
August 29, 2018
Worst movie of the year, all the SJW nonsense, none of the laughs. The only reason I don't give it half a star is that RT will ignore the score if I do.
August 28, 2018
LOL'd more times than expected. Good movie to shut off brain and laugh. John Cena is very good at this role.
80/100
½ August 27, 2018
Waste of time and very poor acting all around. The highlight are a few hottie background ass shots at the prom and the final bar scene. Give this one a miss.
August 26, 2018
I loved the interaction of all three adult friends. The characters felt very honest. The blend of slap stick comedy with real parental anxieties of children growing up was a winner to me!
August 23, 2018
R-rated, but with heart, Blockers spits out the most consistent laughs on this list throughout its 102-minute runtime. Leslie Mann and John Cena are the highlights of the film playing two friends (alongside a third, not quite as good Ike Barinholtz) teaming up to stop their children from...deflowering themselves on their prom night. Whatever side you stand on, it's easy to relate to the well-meaning parents and/or their free-spirited children. Whether it's from physical gags like Cena chugging a beer through his rear or the vulgar, R-rated obscenities delivered perfectly from Mann's squeaky voice, the film is hands down the best straight comedy of the year so far.
August 23, 2018
Blockers *** is a surprisingly effective inversion to your typical coming-of-age/losing-your-virginity-on-prom-night movie except we get it from the POV of the increasingly frantic and childishly acting parents who are out to 'block' their daughters' missions at all costs. Hilarity ensues and actually, it does. John Cena flexes his comedic muscles (first seen in a brief cameo in Trainwreck) and the rest of the characters are well cast enough to make the whole thing works. This comedy avoids being cringing or stale by having a well-pitched and balanced script that manages to rework genre material into something different and fresh.
August 22, 2018
Ike Barinholtz in a suit is hotter than John Cena
½ August 21, 2018
Forced, and unimaginative
August 20, 2018
I could not stand the characters. Dull
August 20, 2018
Blockers has some funny moments thanks to the parents, but the younger cast isn't charismatic, the plot is repetitive and it doesn't surprise the spectator in any scene. Cliched.
August 18, 2018
The interesting thing about Blockers is the biggest credit I can give to it is it's cast chemistry and it's surprisingly progressive views on sex. All of the people in the movie feel like actual humans with actual relationships. While the situations are extreme, their reactions all feel genuine. The three girls who make the pact actually feel like 3 girls who have been friends their whole lives, and the 3 parents actually feel like 3 parents with some degree of friendship but also a bit of a past. I liked how the parents were concerned around their kids but also unfiltered around each other, and I felt everyone reactions to the situations were real. And without getting into spoilers, while losing their virginity is the ultimate goal of the night for the girls and the parents ultimate goal is stopping it, the movie does go an interesting direction with the final resolution involving all parties that actually felt modern and real. Whereas something like American Pie feels like a male teenage fantasy of this sort of situation, Blockers actually feels like how it might actually play out with a few exaggerated situations, and I actually really respect the film for that. But is the film funny? Well...it's enjoyable enough to watch. I chuckled a few times, there were consistent smiles, and I enjoyed the journey. I guess there were some laughs, but as far as comedies go the laughs were actually pretty low. I'm ultimately giving Blockers a moderately positive rating because I really do respect what it was trying to do, and I did enjoy the experience overall with a wonderful cast to be around. But was it a laugh riot? Well, I'm sorry, no. There were some funny moments but not enough to give it true staying power as a great comedy.
Malan
August 18, 2018
August 16, 2018
Not the worst comedy you'll see this year.