Blue in the Face Reviews

• Feb 21, 2015

too much swearing in the movie

too much swearing in the movie

• May 04, 2014

The other must-see for fans of Smoke. Double bonus: Ms. Tomlin's character, Jim Jarmusch in the flesh.

• Melvin W Super Reviewer
    Mar 29, 2014

Bob: Coffee and cigarettes. That's like the breakfast of champions. "Welcome to the planet Brooklyn." Blue in the Face is a fun enough movie especially if you like the style of Smoke. This isn't really much like Smoke though, when it comes to story. There's really no story here. There's a lot of individual improvised scenes and interviews telling random facts about Brooklyn. It's a very loose film, that has  a sort of documentary feel to it at times and a standard feature film feel to it at other times. The cast is huge in this film, with Harvey Keitel being the only big name that was left over from smoke. Michael J. Fox, Jim Jarmusch, Lou Reed, Roseanne,and Madonna all make appearances throughout.  In the end, Blue in the Face is pretty much just Wayne Wang pulling scraps from Smoke, but it has it's appeal. I like the conversations, which all have the improve feel to them. This isn't a movie that really needs to be seen, but it's one that is a good amount of fun for fans of Smoke. If you didn't like Smoke though, there's absolutely no reason to waste your time with this film.

• Jun 04, 2013

While I enjoyed this way more than Wayne Wang's Smoke, the parts do not equal the whole. Michael J Fox was good but overall the movie was lacking.

• May 11, 2013

A sequel to the more successful Smoke. A bit self-indulgent, but not all bad. I enjoyed Madonna's brief cameo as a singing telegram girl, which if I'm honest, was my main reason for watching it!

• Aug 31, 2012

it's soooo 90's. if it were at that time i'd give 1.5stars more. interesting to see Jim mentioned "coffee and cigarettes".

• Aug 13, 2012

I own this one on dvd. Not great, but a little funny. I just love the part of RoseAnne kissing Harvey Keitel.

• Mar 21, 2012

This movie is hilarious & has a great cast of everyone u know & love

This movie is hilarious & has a great cast of everyone u know & love

• Jan 11, 2012

A great Brooklyn movie. This one brought back a lot of memories of my childhood in the 90's, as well as the sense of community of working at a local Brooklyn video store in my teenage years. The only problem is it's pretty uneven. Some of the vignettes work exceptionally well, others are really annoying. In particular, Mel Gorham is absolutely grating as Violet. But don't let that steer you away. Stick this one out until the end. The final scene is absolutely beautiful.

• Aug 27, 2011

A portrait of Brooklyn in the 90s. Shot on my corner! However not terribly exciting. Jim Jarmusch and Lou Reed being the best parts.