Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice Reviews

May 23, 2016
before the big chill, when you wanted to see relationship movies between husbands and wives deconstructing sexual conventions with funky cool camera moves, you saw Bob &Carol& Ted& Alice. Features some excellent Elliot Gould back hair.
February 27, 2016
A great satirical punch at 60's philosophies on both sides of the spectrum. Funny and spot on concerning marriage relationships.
½ December 7, 2015
In Mazursky's film there is a moral and ethical depth and a willingness to deconstruct internal struggles that other films would gladly repress. Grounded in four exquisite performances, the film evolves with its characters, always with an acute sense of satire, to provide a well-rounded portrait of a generation, that might as well be ours. Bob&Carol&Ted&Alice is a undoubtedly one of the hidden treasure of the '60s.
½ December 4, 2014
½ August 14, 2014
Though the post-Summer of Love goings on remain very much a product of their time, the relevant honesty and comedy of Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice definitely still connects with generations who never got to take their pants off during the Sexual Revolution. Table turning. Manipulation. Cheating. Remorse. Regret. Whether you're a still-love struck Baby Boomer or a lovelorn Generation Y-er, these themes and games doubtlessly transcend through the Me Generation to today. Hell, they probably resonated with cavemen, which is why Paul Masursky's whipsmart hilarious dissection of a 4-person Swingtown still works. Just as precisely attention-grabbing is his assured but freewheeling direction. Alternately, he captures the close intimacy (the 4 stars awkwardly sharing a bed - and a moment of clarity - remains a classic) and distant loneliness (Robert Culp, who should've been given more feature leading man roles), films the curious but innocent interaction between his too-mellow Free Loving wife (the transfixingly engaging Natalie Wood) and reticent oaf best friend (never better Elliot Gould) from a rooftop zoom.

In this R-rated comedy, newly "enlightened" couple Bob and Carol (Robert Culp, Natalie Wood) return from a weekend retreat and chastise their closest friends, Ted and Alice, for not coming to grips with their true feelings.

Granted, a hippie dippy retreat weekend and one or two period hiccups (Gould and the tsk-tsking but beautifully game Dyan Cannon don't seen to know how birth control pills work) ages things a bit, but no more than Gordon Gekko's gi-normous 'mobile' phone in Wall Street. Marsursky's confident chance taking, however, never fared any better than in this classic. Just look to the closer, which finds Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice & countless souls commiserating in a warm 4th wall-breaking gathering to Jackie DeShannon's "What the World Needs Now is Love" (written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David for this film, mind you). Like the film, this songs stays with you and brings home the whole point--free or at great cost, we all need the L-Word, wherever however.

Bottom line: Still H'Wood Swinging
½ May 20, 2014
This was the first film to really delve into the world of free love in the sixties, while also showing its appeal to the suburban set. Couple Bob and Carol see their sex life becoming uninhibited after a weekend romp with other love minded people, and decide that the act of sex doesn't need to have ties to love. Soon after they come home, they start to engage in casual sex with strangers. Their friends, Ted and Alice, watch them with prejudice, as many couples did at the time of the sixties' sexual revolution. Paul Mazursky is the writer/director of this film, and he does a great job of molding characters so that we see their complete transformations throughout the course of the film. While Bob and Carol both find the freedom enlivening, there's still jealousy and thoughtfulness in their relationship, and the always present proclamations of love. Though each of them feels themselves changing, we see their roots as a married couple and also Ted and Alice, as they come to understand and even accept their friend's new lifestyle. The characters were extremely engaging, and every relationship shown in this film felt real and authentic. As a character study it works perfectly, but works as a time capsule for the sixties.
½ October 18, 2013
A husband and wife, returning from a New Age retreat, entice another married couple to join the Sexual Revolution, replete with infidelity and orgies.
Half satire, half honest social documentary, Paul Mazursky's brilliant and funny portrayal of late sixties era swingers walks so many fine lines between ridiculous and believable and character study and caricature study that his work bespeaks remarkable intelligence. It's hard to classify this film because it "swings" so deftly between genres and characterizations -- a remarkably flexible film.
The performances are all incredible. Natalie Wood, playing against type, contrasts the natural innocence of her face and demeanor with the sexual freedom of her character, and I can't help but repeat: if there is a heaven and it doesn't involve being loved by Natalie Wood, I'll be disappointed.
Overall, Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice both reveres and lampoons the late sixties and serves as a monument to the talents of its contributors.
May 12, 2013
A clear stab at hippy lifestyles, at least pointing out that it's not for everyone. Apparently a groundbreaking movie touching on questions that had not been touch on before.
March 7, 2013
This movie makes me happy that I missed out on the 60s.
February 25, 2013
The genius of Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice is that it understands the peculiar nature of the moral crisis for Americans in this age group, and understands that the way to consider it is in a comedy.
July 19, 2012
Groundbreaking and I'm sure for some it was shocking in the late 60s. But boring to watch in this day and age of anything goes. Have we become to jaded as a culture?
½ March 21, 2012
Pretty amusing tale of a yuppie couple embracing the tenets of the sexual revolution and pull their more uptight best friends along for the ride. Watching these four navigate their relationship woes is very funny, with Elliott Gould's performance particularly memorable. And Natalie Wood may be one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.
January 20, 2012
Dyan Cannon is truly remarkable in this otherwise dated satire. I see how it would have made a splash in the 60's and there are a few terrific scenes that capture what it's like to be married, but mostly I just wanted the characters to stop yakking and do something already.
July 23, 2011
Interesting and prodding on the notions of sexuality vs. actual love, and I can't say that the four leads aren't excellent, of course Natalie Wood, but something about the writing makes me wish there was more to this unconventional dramedy. C
April 19, 2011
Great stuff all around here. Hilarious and daring take on married relationships. Some parts dated, yes, but the true core relationship stuff rings true even now. Plus Natalie Wood has never been more sexy!
March 5, 2011
Free Love is the future of love and the future of freedom.
February 28, 2011
جا رس..... بس باسب (C) ست اتا د.. إ ب,!