Born on the Fourth of July - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born on the Fourth of July Reviews

½ October 8, 2016
Great film could of gone on a bit longer at the end. Felt a bit rushed would defo watch again though.
½ September 19, 2016
Born on the Fourth of July is a truly epic tale of the devastating effects that the Vietnam War has on a young man. This is the tour-de-force performance that most people will point to in order to make it clear that Tom Cruise is more than just a dumb action star. The way that he portrays the highs and lows of this poor man's life is shockingly realistic. I also think the makeup and hair team did a stellar job at aging him appropriately, without making it obvious I was looking at a 26-year-old with a wig on. The story is a very tough one to watch and every time my mind would wander back to that young boy from the beginning, while he was in a horrible hospital being treated for war wounds or he felt completely unlovable, I started to tear up. The journey that the character takes is a harsh one to watch because you slowly see the war, and the physical/emotional wounds he acquired from it, gradually take away every ounce of his former self. It starts by taking away his physical abilities, then it takes away his family and friends, eventually it takes away any hope he had for love, and finally his entire belief system is torn down. Since it's based on the biography of a real man, you can feel the authentic emotion in that journey. It's not a perfect film, there are certain beats that are skipped over too quickly, and there are some that are dragged out longer than necessary or repeated more than necessary. While I would find it difficult to ever watch Born on the Fourth of July again, I applaud the quality of the film-making and the astounding performance from Tom Cruise.
September 10, 2016
Good acting, good story.
August 24, 2016
This was a really hard film to watch! I couldn't even imagine what it would have been like to be in this poor guys shoes! One of Oliver Stones best movies!
July 31, 2016
Con tres años de diferencia de Peloton tiene el mismo tono dramatico y de reflexion sobre la Guerra de Vietnam. Se aprecia sobre todo por un Tom Cruise contenido y maduro.
July 27, 2016
Not a fan of Tom Cruise coming into this movie, but I thought he did an okay job in this one. I guess if there is one thing I realized while watching this movie, is how shitty people treated soldiers coming home from Vietnam. In some ways, we still do.
July 24, 2016
How did Tom Cruise get the nomination and not win. Best anti-war movie ever.
½ July 19, 2016
"Born on the Fourth of July" is not the only anti-war film out there, but it's easily the hardest to watch.
½ July 17, 2016
Tom Cruise turns in a solid performance in this hard-to-watch Oliver Stone film that has a lot on its mind.
July 6, 2016
This film was incredible, a moving & powerful film in Stone's 'Vietnam' Trilogy, probably one of Cruise's finest performances.
April 29, 2016
Cruise is just superb.
April 18, 2016
5 star performance from Cruise
½ March 20, 2016
Born of the Fourth of July has Tom Cruise bringing his best acting and Oliver Stone best directing to another anti-war/ Vietnam War film.
March 10, 2016
Really hit or miss as far as quality of scenes go. Some parts are powerful while others come across as almost laughable. Good acting with poor dialogue and writing.
½ February 24, 2016
great great flick. wish it was tom cruz running for prez instead of ted! a tiny bit too long, but otherwise great as heck. loved all the cool little cameos from good-ass actors. cruise did an incredible job imho.
½ February 6, 2016
Oliver Stone´s second part of "Vietnam War Trilogy" rises on the strenght of Tom Cruise´s star turn performance as real life vet Ron Kovic as well as the writer-diretor sure handed grip of the personal consequences of war.
January 27, 2016
It looks like a cliche with bizarre twists but tom cruise made an awesome acting breaking or hearts
January 25, 2016
A scintillating career best performance from Tom cruise who perpetually anchors this ambitious yet a little prosaic anti-war tale of Oliver stone...John williams melodious score is also worth mentioning..
January 24, 2016
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ January 17, 2016
9 out of 10:

Despite some slow bits, Born on the Fourth of July offers good acting and a great opening.