Born on the Fourth of July - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Born on the Fourth of July Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
"Born on the Fourth of July" is not the only anti-war film out there, but it's easily the hardest to watch.
½ July 17, 2016
Tom Cruise turns in a solid performance in this hard-to-watch Oliver Stone film that has a lot on its mind.
July 6, 2016
This film was incredible, a moving & powerful film in Stone's 'Vietnam' Trilogy, probably one of Cruise's finest performances.
April 29, 2016
Cruise is just superb.
April 18, 2016
5 star performance from Cruise
½ March 20, 2016
Born of the Fourth of July has Tom Cruise bringing his best acting and Oliver Stone best directing to another anti-war/ Vietnam War film.
March 10, 2016
Really hit or miss as far as quality of scenes go. Some parts are powerful while others come across as almost laughable. Good acting with poor dialogue and writing.
½ February 24, 2016
great great flick. wish it was tom cruz running for prez instead of ted! a tiny bit too long, but otherwise great as heck. loved all the cool little cameos from good-ass actors. cruise did an incredible job imho.
½ February 6, 2016
Oliver Stone´s second part of "Vietnam War Trilogy" rises on the strenght of Tom Cruise´s star turn performance as real life vet Ron Kovic as well as the writer-diretor sure handed grip of the personal consequences of war.
January 27, 2016
It looks like a cliche with bizarre twists but tom cruise made an awesome acting breaking or hearts
January 25, 2016
A scintillating career best performance from Tom cruise who perpetually anchors this ambitious yet a little prosaic anti-war tale of Oliver stone...John williams melodious score is also worth mentioning..
January 24, 2016
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ January 17, 2016
9 out of 10:

Despite some slow bits, Born on the Fourth of July offers good acting and a great opening.
½ January 16, 2016
A lengthy, kind of depressing story. But it's so insightful of how I'm sure many felt during the Vietnam War. How so many lost hope. Lost sight of the American Dream. This is probably the best performance Tom Cruise has ever given. His character goes through so much transformation, inwardly and so much grief. You really feel for him. This is a war movie I could get into. If anything, watch it for Cruise's amazing performance.
½ December 2, 2015
Stone's passion is present, but never overdone. Cruise gives an amazing performance and never reminds us he's just a movie star.
½ November 3, 2015
Oliver Stone truly is one of greatest American Filmmakers around & this film shows his skill behind camera & the talent of Tom Cruise under terrific direction.

The story of idealistic all American boy who goes & joins the war effort & becomes paralyzed in combat & struggles to adjust back into society & becomes quickly disillusioned.

The story is told so well & the story has such impact. Very audacious & bold for it's day. A powerhouse of acting & directing, a sensational film.
November 1, 2015
The best of Oliver Stone!
½ October 5, 2015
94%
Watched this on 4/10/15
Oliver Stone's anti war film is extremely well directed and it's one of the most daring and realistic films ever made. One can see the sparks of the director's ideas that flourished in JFK in this film also. It's got fantastic performances, not only from Tom Cruise, but also from William Dafoe. The cinematography is superb and when it comes to violence, this is the most realistic one I have ever seen yet. This Vietnamese war film is extremely haunting and it shows the real intentions of America's pointless wars.
September 8, 2015
Rarely before have I seen such a powerful piece on such a tough subject. Showing the true colors of our country's government, this is one of the greatest anti-war films I have ever witnessed.