The Bothersome Man (Den Brysomme mannen) Reviews

• Jun 19, 2019

Den brysomme mannen (international title: The Bothersome Man) is a dystopian dark comedy about a man who mysteriously finds himself in a seemingly perfect society, with the only drawback that the people there are completely detached from real emotions. The performances and the cinematography are great and support the general notion of isolated loneliness, which the main character experiences. Thus, the movie's premise is a clever allegory for how people constantly keep themselves occupied with superficial objects and activities, while ignoring what makes them an emotional and social being. The shift in tone after the opening and the lack of a successful combination of the main character's fate with the overall social commentary of the movie, does mean, however, that it's not as competent as previous, comparable efforts, like Brazil (1980), Anomalisa (2015), or Her (2013). Read my full review on my blog movie-discourse.

• Jun 05, 2018

Dynamic, interested and fresh. The movie will transport you to the plot of the situation of the character.

• Apr 11, 2017

Very very weird creepy movie with a weird ending

Very very weird creepy movie with a weird ending

• Jan 05, 2017

Fans of Dark City will like it

Fans of Dark City will like it

• Jun 13, 2016

3.7/5 Every point the film makes comes with a joke or a comedic aspect to it all that gives the film an excentric feel to the dull world Andreas is presented with, allowing the experience to be quite the interesting exploration of a man outside his world and full of simple but powerful desires.

• Jan 18, 2016

Leaves too much unexplained

Leaves too much unexplained

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

I rate the Bothersome Man higher after having watched it a second time. It is existential humor but I found it to have a blase sensibility which was both odd and endearing. The Bothersome Man is reminiscent of so many other films, from Dark City to Monty Python, and yet is its own simple and well-told short story. It is a film I am surprised to find myself rating so highly and yet all the elements in it (plot, acting, filmmaking, sets) fit together nicely and give it an elegant quality.

• Feb 28, 2015

La vida sin sentimientos...

La vida sin sentimientos...

• Jan 13, 2015

Norwegian films are so great.

Norwegian films are so great.

• Nov 30, 2014

what looks like a suicidal start of the hero is more puzzling when we circled the plot to it again. The allegory is not obvious and takes a bit of thinking to figure out. In fact the explanation does not come and we are left unsure. Is it a fable about the afterlife? Or is it about our sometimes dour lives? Is the lesson about conformity and the happiness it provides? Or is it the strange attraction for more that leaves us rejected and left in the cold, litterally. This last bit is too reminiscent of the fate of a few natives left in the cold by the Winnipeg police to leave me... cold.