Branded - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Branded Reviews

½ May 29, 2017
This film couldn't be saved unless it was rewritten and remade into something else. Despite good performances from Tambor and Leelee Sobieski (who aren't in enough scenes and used poorly) the film falls flat on its face early on and never recovers even after expensive imaginary CGI creatures attached to everyone show up. Skip it unless you love horrible stories.
November 22, 2016
I find it hard to believe the Tomatometer here. Y'all must be crazy! This film is the most important piece of fiction to watch that will open your mind about the reality in which we're living today. The story is told beautifully! It has none of the boring linear structure that you find in movies. This is a movie to watch if you're fucking bored with the same plot in every movie and it will open your mind about the reality in which we live in. Seriously underrated masterpiece.
October 17, 2016
rara, muy larga, pero buena
August 8, 2016
The critics got it oh so wrong... this movie is great. You get to see first hand what happens when global greed gets a foothold... well, in case of today's world... & even large foothold... sincerely, everyone should watch this film... that has a huge message about what's happening to our world today... & for years to come if we don't wake up.
Robert B.
September 28, 2015
Branded is an odd film. It is not exactly satire, nor is it a thriller, nor is it a mystical adventure. The plot feels very random. It is like eating something exotic that tastes interesting, but one would not want another serving. Try it if you want to experience something different.
September 10, 2015
I signed up to RT just to review this movie. I can't tell you how much grief I got when I told everyone I knew how great Until the End of the World was. Same thing happened with Desire and Hell at the Sunset Motel. It took years for these movies to build a following and I have no doubt that this movie Branded will follow this proud tradition of overcoming the thoughtless and finding the love of the truly independent.
May 9, 2015
The movie really boring to me. The trailer make it seem good but not. Good part only like 30 min or less at the end of the film.
February 28, 2015
I so wanted to love this indictment of cutthroat marketing, but it really is just not a good movie. The themes it explores and its story ideas are intelligent and relevant, however the performances are weak, even Von Sydow seems to be phoning it in. I think the voice over was added to give it a "Network" feel, but it just ends up feeling intrusive and artificial. I would love to see this idea get re-worked by an indie style production and see what they come up with.
January 27, 2015
I am never watching this.
November 17, 2014
I love this movie! Regardless of other reviewers opinions, I think it's well worth the time.
Harlequin68
½ October 5, 2014
In "Branded," Misha(Ed Stoppard) is struck by lightning as a child. So, as an adult, he can do no better than getting a job in marketing in Moscow, working for Bob(Jeffrey Tambor) who is in reality a front for the CIA. Still, Misha has done well enough for himself to help Abby(Leelee Sobieski) get her reality program off the ground.

"Branded" aims to have some very pointed and intelligent things to say about marketing and body image but manages nothing that has already covered better by the likes of Dr, Seuss and Bill Hicks. Even then, the movie feels desperately random and all over the place, as it also tries to bring up subjects like fate. So random is it that Max von Sydow feels like he is in a different movie entirely which I am not ruling out by the way. With Ed Stoppard being a complete non-entity in the lead, that leaves the always appealing Leelee Sobieski nowhere to go. At least when the movie finally gets weird, it is actually an imaginatively looking weird.
October 4, 2014
This movie is an unfortunate case of doubting the intelligence of it's audience. The premise of seeing the corporate strings influencing our everyday lives isn't a bad one, and i enjoyed a lot of the movie, especially Misha's tactical battle against the old corporate guy who's name i don't remember, which just goes to show how much the movie thought that was important, but the cheese CGI monsters and focus thereof, took the intellectual bite out of what could have potentially been a thrilling and brilliant movie. We don't need to see CGI monsters to understand the concept of corporate influence, we don't need to watch them fight to understand the concept behind mud slinging marketing tactics, and you don't need to sacrifice a cow in order to see the cynical design of the world. A potentially gripping intellectual thriller doesn't need giant blob monsters to make sure we get the message.

I wouldn't call this movie bad, it was still enjoyable, but i will say it's a very unfortunate waste of a premise that could have made a truly unforgettable movie.
½ September 3, 2014
Poor Leelee Sobieski......she used to have a career, but nobody would ever believe it after watching this dreck. There really is nothing I can single out that was worthwhile in this film. But, it is always sad when you see a former talent fall to such a level as this. Get Leelee a new agent, stat!!!
August 3, 2014
Simpática sátira. Una de las mejores cintas en lo que va de década y probablemente una de las mas subvaloradas. Antes de mirarla, recomiendo echar un ojo al traíler, si no les gusta lo que ven, mejor abstenerse.
½ July 27, 2014
This is going to be a tough one to review because I'm not sure if I completely understand it and that doesn't happen to often with me, so you know it has to be pretty complicated. It very artsy fartsy and there are a lot of messages going on in it and they don't give them to you on a silver platter. You will have to concentrate on this one and even then, good luck. It's about an advertising executive that goes way too far to sell products. It's about consumerism and how it has become an integral part of our culture. It also seems to infuse a little bit a supernatural aspects to it in the form of a ritual performed by the advertising agent where he slaughters bull. It has these cute and weird looking creatures coming out of people's bodies that look like they would be designed by a Japanese or Animae company almost. These creatures swayed you to do things for instant gratification like eating a ton of fast food and getting fat. So there is also a statement about obesity in our society. The movie makes a lot of good points and I appreciate what it's trying so say and it certainly does have a style all its own. It's not imitative of anything I've ever seen which makes it a little difficult to wrap my brain around it. My brain almost hurts trying to decipher it. I just wish it was a bit more accessible. I love the visuals. They are really funky. The only two people I recognize in it are Ed Stoppard, Leelee Sobieski, Jeffrey Tambor and Max von Sydow, so it's a pretty good cast and they all do a good job. Check it out if you want a mind bending experience.
½ July 14, 2014
"Piece O garbage". I love Lee Lee Sobieski and wanted this to be good, but now I can say as much as I love Lee Lee this is the worst movie she has ever been in. I love Jeffrey Tambor and have to say the worst movie he has ever chose to be in as well. If I could go back and delete the memory out of my brain I would.
June 30, 2014
Amazing show. Ignore the negative reviews. Apparently they thought the movie was supposed to be funny. It isn't.

This story is supposed to be engaging and serious. You're supposed to think about this story and come out going, "Oh, that's messed up." The main topic tackled in this plot is branding (obviously), something we deal with everyday of our lives. It is manipulated in minute, but subversive ways. Branded takes that seriously. It delivers a serious story to a serious topic. I personally found the characters to be engaging and found the plot to be relatable. And when one of the characters starts seeing things in a different . . . Light, well, things get complicated, as they should.

I will go ahead and add that there are two plots here. The first one involves the rise of our main character and a fall from grace. The second involves a resurrection of sorts and him being drawn back into an environment he left far behind. The first story runs through just fine. The second? It has some problems, but it is rather intriguing none-the-less. The ending to this movie is horrible. I think it was forced after the fact. It should have ended in a hard gritty way, possibly with our main character dead. Instead we get a happy go-lucky, unbelievable ending (as in, I didn't buy it). I can't help but think the current ending is because some studio head had them tack it on after all the filming had been done.

The reasons for my positive review:

It DOES reach outside the box and tickle your imagination, and the vast majority of the story is decent to great. For that it gets 4 out of 5 stars. For the fact it tackles branding in a way that most stories just don't, it gets 5 out of 5.

I don't know why everyone else rated it so lowly. Maybe they've gotten used to plots from movies like Transformers and the Phantom Menace. Plots that are riddled with holes, none-sense, and a lack of depth. This isn't one of those. Watch it and 'ad' your voice here.
½ June 2, 2014
Surprisingly great performances, but nothing makes any sense, overall bizarre
½ May 20, 2014
A very weird flick with an absurd plot and some of the worst acting ever. Only bearable to watch because of all its silliness...
May 9, 2014
Waste of a great concept. Just another movie to add to the long list of worst movies ever made. Don't waste your time (unless of course you're curious to see how awful it is).