Brightburn Reviews

• Sep 27, 2020

This movie is good. It's a solid idea that is well-acted and generally executed well. So why the two star rating? After meticulously setting up the pieces for an ending which *could* have packed a surprising punch, they completely throw it out the window so some agency-approved artist of the week can mumble her way through a god-awful "song" over the ending credits, and actually the ending itself. It has the effect of someone clamping their hands over your nose right before you're about to sneeze, except in emotional form. I am tempted to re-edit the ending and re-review the movie based on my cut.

• Sep 26, 2020

One of the leading driving forces of horror is, ironically, hope. Nothing puts me on the edge of my seat like the protagonist(s) of a movie running for that slim chance of survival with the creature, ghost, or whatever hot on their heels. Against all odds, that Kryptonite hinted earlier in the movie is in the protagonist's grasp... and it's a 50/50 call on the writer's part whether the protagonist makes it or not. Brightburn broke this rule. Now, it's okay to break rules. When you know how to do so, the results are often incredible--jazz music, for example, is one of the pinnacles of this. Brightburn featured a nearly impervious supervillain, who also happened to be a 12-year-old boy. Sounds like an interesting plot twist, right? Great power given to someone who isn't smart enough to really use it? Wrong. He's the smartest kid in school. The top 10% of the top 1%. His bloodlust is explained more or less by his alien/inhuman heritage and some kind of psychopathic tendencies. Alright, well I did say "nearly impervious," so that means he has a weakness, right? At one point in the movie, we see him cut his hand on the remains of the spaceship he arrived in. Alright, so that's our hope. Against this superhuman, sadistic supervillain, our one chance is to somehow cut him with that metal. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. No tension in the movie whatsoever. As soon as he gets shot in the head and is totally unaffected, I almost stopped watching. It was barely 20 minutes to the end, though, so I stuck it out. The cops show up with guns, which doesn't mean anything, and one of them is obliterated on the spot. The other runs around the house and calls for backup, which doesn't matter because nothing humans have affect this kid. There is no point at all. The only glimmer of hope was that his mom would get through to him via emotions and distract him long enough to cut him. Haha, oh wait, he's a psychopath and feels no love toward her. He sees through her obvious ploy and kills her too. What a movie. So yeah, like the 3 stars says, it killed some time. I was hoping for something more, though, and if you also are, I'd pass on this one. It's easiest to enjoy if you think of it as a black humor/pseudo-satire movie the whole time, but I don't get that vibe from it.

• Sep 18, 2020

Baby found in woods grows up with superman-esque powers but once puberty hits, starts to take everything everyone says far too personally.

• Sep 04, 2020

Pelicula que explora un camino interesante en cuanto a los Superheroes "Que tal si Superman hubiese sido un niño psicopata?" buenos efectos, actuaciones que cumplen. El giro final fue genial y espero con ansias la secuela.

• Aug 31, 2020

Terrible horrible cringe boring movie starring Elizabeth banks. Man she needs a better agent. All of her movies this year sucked. So brightburn is a horror superhero movie kinda like blade but way way worse. I didn't care about any of the characters and I legit already forgot about this movie. Waste of money and of a movie.

• Aug 30, 2020

What did I think of Brightburn? Check out my full review below: https://open.spotify.com/episode/00WhbEjhjCY2PATKxEIReq?si=bk-YirsgQmGtLLYP3TYB9g

• Aug 27, 2020

While 'Brightburn' is a bit shallow, it's certainly a fun ride. The idea of making a slasher film with a character that, in any other film, would be a superhero is one of the more creative subversions of the typical superhero formula. The acting is great, the gore is plentiful, and while one feels as though more could have been done with this premise, 'Brightburn' succeeds thanks to its uniqueness and pure entertainment value.

• Aug 24, 2020

This was a lot scarier than I thought it would be. Some truly frightening moments. A well acted and directed horror film. Interesting approach to Omen style material. It’s like the antithesis of Superman.

• Aug 15, 2020

Brightburn is directed by David Yarovesky produced by James Gunn and is an unofficial "Superman origin story" but with a horror twist. In a small Kansas farm-town, wife and husband Tori and Kyle Breyer (played by Elizabeth Banks and David Denman) are trying to have a kid, when a small spacecraft crash lands near them carrying a baby. As the child, named Brandon (played by Jackson A. Dunn) grows up he soon realizes where he came from, and as his powers grow so does Brandons thirst for revenge takes over in this unofficial else-world story that while delivering on what the trailer promises, doesn't do much to expand on either the superhero or the horror genre. Firstly, I really enjoyed the concept this film presents in an evil Superman, and with an "R" rating, they make some good use of the Superman tropes you've seen, but with the realistic violence and gore that would actually happen if a boy with lasers coming from his eyes could do to someone. The gore and violence doesn't bombard the film, but does leave some pretty horrific imagery that is sure to satisfy the horror fans. Also the acting from all of the main characters was very good, I believed the actor playing Brandon and he really was able to naturally turn to just an evil remorseless kid that ALSO has these superpowers really well for me. Where the film kind of plateaus for me is after they've introduced the story and you get into the horror beats, it all seems very repetitive. The setups to the scares are used so often that they lost all suspense for me. For a film that has such a unique concept, you would expect them to really play with that idea but it feels more like they just wanted to tell a pretty simple by the books horror story, and decided "hey, superheros are hot, lets plug one in" but just used all the work from Superman to build their own Superhero. Shoot, even the marketing uses the same exact font style as 'Man of Steel'. Overall if you saw the trailers for 'Brightburn' and liked what you saw, you are going to have a great time in the theaters watching this, for me it was a little bit of a letdown just because of the direction both the horror genre and the superhero genre are evolving, this seems to be a by the numbers film.

• Aug 15, 2020

I don't care what some of these lame ass critics say. This movie was spectacular! If you like sci-fi and you like horror, this is a great marriage of the two. Can't wait for the rumored sequel to come out!!