Broadway Melody of 1936 Reviews

• Dec 15, 2019

This is the sort of film that Bullets over Broadway (1994) satirized brilliantly and so it was a shame that this film didn't have an ounce of the wit or originality that the film it inspired had. There really isn't much that can be said about the film unfortunately and that annoyed me as I usually like to spin out my reviews of films to couple hundred words but this one was so lacking in purpose or content. Those who watch the film will empathize with my struggle as it does not grab one's attention at any point but is not bad enough to tear into. I do not view this as a film worthy of mention as a terrible film but it also should not have been a Best Picture nominee.

• Jun 27, 2019

Broadway Melody of 1936 has not so memorable musical numbers, but the dancing is excellent, especially that of terrific Eleanor Powell. Jack Benny plays his character so well and he's the comedic highlight of the movie. This flick has so-so storytelling, but its humor is endearing as are some of the characters leading to what is a pretty respectable sequel of sorts to the original.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best movie song ever sung: You Are My Lucky Star!

The best movie song ever sung: You Are My Lucky Star!

• Nov 27, 2014

Lavish MGM musical showcasing Eleanor Powell, with great support from Jack Benny, Robert Taylor, The Ebsens (Buddy & Vilma), Frances Langford and June Lang; hit songs included "You Are My Lucky Star," "I've Got a Feeling You're Foolin'" and "Broadway Rhythm."

• Jul 14, 2013

Jack Benny is funny in this lighthearted comedy/musical. Entertaining and fun, if not predictable.

• Nov 18, 2012

awesome musical clevor humor amd sparkling tunes high light this MGM A picture.

awesome musical clevor humor amd sparkling tunes high light this MGM A picture.

• Sep 30, 2012

This a lavish, frothy movie with terrific music, great acing and outstanding dancing. The story is thin--young Broadway producer needs a leading lady and can't see that she's right in front of him. Lots of snappy dialogue, mistaken identities and sumptuous costumes. The dancing, by Eleanor Powell, Nick Long Jr., June Knight and Buddy Ebsen is first rate. The singing by Frances Langford, June Knight and Robert Taylor(!) is also great. Robert Taylor was very young but holds his own with established pros Jack Benny, Una Merkel and Sid Silvers. There's no message here, no deep thoughts, just top notch entertainment.

• May 22, 2011

Eleanor Powell just fantastic amazing tap dancer!!! And Robert Taylor a hot leading men. Great story and production =)

• Mar 04, 2011

Amazingly this Hollywood trifle about a Broadway producer, his ambitious High School sweetheart and a gossip columnist who harasses them while they try to mount a big Broadway show holds up. The songs are great including "You Are My Lucky Star", "Broadway Rhythm" and "Sing Before Breakfast." and the production numbers are top form. Even the humor manages to still be smile inducing if not laugh out loud funny.

• Feb 28, 2011

The great Jack Benny plays gossip columnist Bert Keeler. His boss has told him to get dirt on people, to get people to hate you. His target becomes showman Robert Gordon (Robert Taylor) who is being bankrolled by a wealthy widow who is also aspiring to star in the show as well. Meanwhile, Irene Foster (Eleanor Powell) has come to the Big Apple seeking fame and fortune as well - and she was childhood friends with Gordon. Una Merkel plays Gordon's secretary Kitty who gets involved in one of Bert's schemes and she befriends Irene who is having difficulty getting into the show business... Will everyone end up happy?! This is 1930s Hollywood after all! These types of stories were done to death at this time, but this film is still very entertaining fueled by the charismatic performances of its talented cast and the exceptionally choreographed dance numbers.