Buried - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buried Reviews

October 21, 2016
Ryan Reynolds does a good job delivering on a stupid script, but his character's behavior and that of just about everyone else is so irrational that it makes the movie difficult to watch. The premise is really better suited for a short film. It could have been a great film festival favorite as a short at 15 to maybe 45 minutes, but bloating it with irrational behavior and often absurdly unproductive dialogue was really, really annoying. Furthermore, much like the script the oxygen in that space seemed to outlast practicality. Again, better suited for a short film.
½ October 15, 2016
I just wasted almost two hours of my life. This isn't one of those "finish-the-movie-feeling-empowered" kinds of movies.
October 7, 2016
A remarkable achievement. See this, whoever you are.
September 17, 2016
This movie was phenomenal, and then came the ending.

'Nuff said
September 9, 2016
Great acting Ryan Reynolds!
½ September 7, 2016
If you want to end your night pissed off, depressed, and ultimately filled with a seething hatred for the makers of this film... Go ahead and watch it.
½ August 28, 2016
A nail-biting experience. "Buried" will surprise you with its intensity.
August 6, 2016
Gripping, impossible to pull yourself away from finding out the outcome
August 3, 2016
Love this movie. Adrenaline pumping, emotional and so intense. If you haven't watched it, then do. If you have watched it, then watch it again.
½ August 3, 2016
About as cheap a set as it comes with practically the whole film in one small wooden box, but there's great drama and tension throughout.
July 27, 2016
Got 6 words for this movie Terrifying, Intense, Suspenseful, Nerve-Wracking, Tension Builder and Thriller.
Buried captures all of them perfectly with great performance from Ryan Reynolds and a very different experience from which you ever had in your life.
½ July 19, 2016
This is a highly entertaining thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout its entirety.

After a truck driver wakes up inside a coffin, he discovers that terrorists captured him and are holding him for ransom. All he has with him is a phone and a knife.

Despite the fact that this movie is filmed in a coffin the entire time, the movie interests us every step of the way. The claustrophobic setting makes the movie really tense. The fact that this movie is filmed in a coffin for the whole movie makes for an impressive feat.

Ryan Reynolds gave a gripping performance which carried this movie expertly. His emotions and facial expressions engage us in the movie in many scenes.

I'm not going to spoil the ending but it is quite unexpected and sad. However, it is fitting and the viewer understands why it was necessary. There was really no other fitting way for the movie to end.

In certain parts though, disbelief must be suspended. For example, I don't think his phone would've worked under the sand. Also, he probably would've suffocated long before the credits rolled. I don't think he would have had enough Oxygen to survive so long. These nitpicks don't completely take the viewer out of the experience but it does bug them a bit.

Overall, this is a pretty great movie. As long as you can get by the nitpicks then this will be a tense and claustrophobic thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.
July 17, 2016
Soul-crushingly depressing. Never again.
July 11, 2016
Remind yourself often to breathe. Very suspenseful film that manages to keep the audience entertained for 90 minutes despite it's limits.
½ June 28, 2016
Buried makes the most of its tight space and churns out an intense, unpredictable, and wildly entertaining thriller with a good performance from Ryan Reynolds.
June 27, 2016
Truly intense. For a movie set on such a simple premise, you're watching one guy locked in a box for 90 minutes, you'd think there wouldn't be much to it. If you thought that, you'd be wrong. With each person he interacts with, via phone calls, you see a new dynamic or layer to the situation. Wither it's dealing with the people who kidnaped him, the FBI agents trying to find him, or his own company screwing him out of his insurance for his family.

The film is probably most notable for the ending, which is super effective to be sure, but there's more to it than that. Which is a shame a lot of people I know who talk about this movie only seem to bring up is its climax.

For everyone out there who is trying to make a film on a small budget, my advice would be to watch this and take careful notes in order to extract the most tension and fear from your product as possible.
June 24, 2016
This movie was awful. I knew going into it that it would probably bother me (since I'm claustrophobic), but that wasn't why I didn't like it. I found some of the aspects highly unbelievable and many of the actions taken by Reynolds' character didn't make sense at all.
½ June 15, 2016
I was aware of this film from one of the Ryan Reynolds's interview, where he jokes about the location.
Plot seems to be very interesting because it is bound inside a coffin.Paul Conroy, who is trapped inside the coffin is trapped inside a coffin and the background of him and few other characters are revealed slowly in nonlinear way by conversation he has over the phone; which I loved the not because the intensity of the situation is kept realistic and built not by having intercuts or change of location. The verbal conversation and expressing intense pain/frustration is good enough to bring that emotion to the audience. The objects Paul has access is pretty good too, feels chaotic but twined well with the character. Beyond technical challenges and plot's monotony, choice of making this film is ballsy!

Ryan gets into the skin of the character, he has brought thrilling experience. Rest of the cast whose voice is only heard is done justice too.
Cinematography is done its job exceptionally well, which boosts intensity and suspense in the film. Sometimes they are not logical but they have got the storyline in the POV of Paul but the framing is not done in this POV.
Music is an integral part too, sometimes I felt it was over used to build intensity, can't judge it; If I were to make a decision, I'd have only realistic sounds (no Score at all).

Film has a lot of intense points which is responsible to hold audience's attention, especially when a snake is found in Paul's trousers. The intensity varies, it suits too. I felt that the core of the plot seems to be pretty loosely supported by reasoning. But justice is made with realistic climax and treatment of the film which is good enough to ignore about the flaws in the plot.
June 9, 2016
I think this one the most boring movies i ever watched! Ryan Reynolds did some good acting here but I still didn't like the movie which was only filmed in the coffin. The middle to the last build momentum but its not worth it. I cant understand why the critics like this movie.
June 1, 2016
Paul Conroy (played by Ryan Reynolds) awakes to find himself in a wooden box, buried underground. He is a civilian contractor and truck-driver in Iraq. His convoy was ambushed and he was taken captive and buried alive. He has a limited amount of air, giving him a limited time to find a way out. All he has to aid him in this task is his cigarette lighter, a torch, a mobile phone and his will to live.

Minimalist yet highly original, intriguing and tension-filled.

Probably the most minimalist movie ever made. The entire movie is filmed inside a wooden box, a wooden box with one occupant (well, one human occupant...). One actor - Ryan Reynolds - has 100% of the screen time, though there are voices of other actors involved.

Incredibly engrossing and tension-filled. Until the very last moment you don't know how things are going to work out. Director Rodrigo Cortes and writer Chris Sparling keep you on tenterhooks throughout, teasing you with thoughts of one survival option being more likely than the other.

Shows you don't need a big budget to make a great movie.