Buried - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buried Reviews

September 1, 2017
better than I expected it to be. Got very gripping towards the end. But the ending is just crap.
August 13, 2017
Ryan Reynolds made this movie
good job he's the only one in it
top notch
½ July 1, 2017
I felt like I was in a coffin too, trapped into watching this movie. I guess it was a good performance by Ryan Reynolds if he ever had one.
June 26, 2017
so tense, so riveting...an excellent performance by Ryan Reynolds
June 1, 2017
The fact that this only made $200k is criminal. The direction made me physically ill at the ending... Which is a compliment.
½ May 31, 2017
'BURIED' was directed by Rodrigo Cortes and stars Ryan Reynolds. ? Paul Conroy(Ryan Reynolds) is a US truck driver working in Iraq who is taken hostage and buried alive when his convoy is attacked. He needs to use his quick thinking and phone provided to either impress his captors, or get US to find him.

I love the premise of this movie. I really do. It's a stupidly clever idea that COULD have made a wickedly clever thriller/satire. As far as I'm concerned, it is not. It's competently acted, well directed and supported by a great premise but it lacks a solid script to carry it all the way through. Ryan Reynolds does a good job as Paul Conroy and tries to make me like him but I just couldn't. That is my main flaw with this movie; I wanted Conroy to die. Death would have been mercy for what I would have done to him. All he did was whine and over react and claim people were trying to screw him over. I'm not saying he acted entirely out of line at point but he needed to have redeeming qualities to make him a compelling protagonist but he just doesn't. That's my honest to god main flaw with the movie but it's so frustrating that it drops the movie an absurd amount of points, which is really sad.

The story of this movie was really poorly written and that is a shame considering the excellent premise. That said, I adored the ending and the questions it raises but I don't think 10 minutes excuses 75 minutes of mediocrity. There seems like no actual purpose to the movie, which would be fine in most movies but I think this movie sorely needed it. Granted, it did make me consider some things but I don't think that was the movie's intention and I wholeheartedly believe that making it a satire, or giving it a proper message would have made it better.

One thing I do like and will praise in this movie is Cortes' direction. This is a very good looking movie, especially considering the restrictions of the coffin. I appreciate how Cortes uses the lighting to direct the story in various directions and feel that was a genius method to tel the story but I still don't think that that makes up for the movie's other flaws.

Honestly, my main flaw with this movie is how unlikable of a character Conroy is. If he had even the slightest redeeming qualities, I would rate this movie much higher. That said, he isn't, and for that reason alone I cannot recommend this movie and will rate it 3 out of 10 pointless snakes.
May 28, 2017
Acting was good. Full of creative ideas. The follow through was average.
½ May 20, 2017
Although it benefits from an interesting claustrophobic gimmick that brings out the strongest in Ryan Reynolds' talent, Buried unfortunately doesn't wring much dramatic excitement or nerve-wracking suspense out of its one-note scenario, with a payoff that fails to actually pay off.
½ May 20, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen! Don't waste your time.
½ May 12, 2017
Buried is a claustrophobic thriller that gets everything out of its premise plus a good dramatic performance from Ryan Reynolds.
May 11, 2017
I'm never going to work in Iraq thanks to this movie.
May 5, 2017
Ryan Reynolds performance is astounding! He should of been brought in for Awards season BIG TIME!
April 30, 2017
This movie was bad..the whole movie was in the box and it ended up that he never even got out from the box.. Horrible movie.. good thing we just watched it in free DVD rent from library. If I would've watch this in the theater I will ask a full refund.. geezzzz...so disappointed.
½ April 26, 2017
Ryan Reynolds played this role perfectly!
April 16, 2017
Buried is a surprisingly effective, involving and emotional claustrophobic thriller with an excellent compelling performance from Ryan Reynolds.
½ April 14, 2017
THIS MOVIE WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME!! I WAS SOOOO HAPPY THAT THEY FINALLY CAME, BUT NO. THEY WERE ABOVE MARK WHITE'S COFFIN. FUCKING MARK WHITE'S COFFIN. What a waste of built up nerves and anxiety for this movie. I do not, I repeat DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE WHATSOEVER. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF GETTING THE AUDIENCE EXCITED. If I could give this movie negative stars, I WOULD. that's just it.
April 4, 2017
This is a highly entertaining thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout its entirety.

After a truck driver wakes up inside a coffin, he discovers that terrorists captured him and are holding him for ransom. All he has with him is a phone and a knife.

Despite the fact that this movie is filmed in a coffin the entire time, the movie interests us every step of the way. The claustrophobic setting makes the movie really tense. The fact that this movie is filmed in a coffin for the whole movie makes for an impressive feat.

Ryan Reynolds gave a gripping performance which carried this movie expertly. His emotions and facial expressions engage us in the movie in many scenes.

I'm not going to spoil the ending but it is quite unexpected and sad. However, it is fitting and the viewer understands why it was necessary. There was really no other fitting way for the movie to end.

In certain parts though, disbelief must be suspended. For example, I don't think his phone would've worked under the sand. Also, he probably would've suffocated long before the credits rolled. I don't think he would have had enough Oxygen to survive so long. These nitpicks don't completely take the viewer out of the experience but it does bug them a bit.

Overall, this is a pretty great movie. As long as you can get by the nitpicks then this will be a tense and claustrophobic thriller which will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.
March 31, 2017
It was awesome acting conveying the terror of his situation !! Bravo !!
March 26, 2017
Watching Buried is only slightly better than actually being buried.
March 23, 2017
yeah pretty good dude but would I watch it again I dunno