Burn After Reading - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burn After Reading Reviews

March 15, 2018
Strengths: The most appealing thing about this film is watching some of the most talented actors around as some very zany characters. Brad Pitt (Chad) looked like he was having a blast and made me laugh several times. George Clooney (Harry) and Frances McDormand (Linda) were both game for their comedic roles. It's a strange movie that doesn't shy away from that fact and embraces it. I mean, there's literally a scene involving a dildo chair. There were also some fun plot twists and surprising, with the most shocking moment coming between Clooney and Pitt in a memorable scene. There's also a pretty funny way for Linda's storyline to wrap up that I got a kick out of.

Weaknesses: As good as the three actors mentioned above were, some of the others left me feeling disappointed. I didn't much for the scenes involving John Malkovich (Osbourne), unless it was with Pitt. The same goes for Tilda Swinton (Katie). The first act of the film is too slow paced to fully work. It's necessary to establish all the characters, but by the time they all come together to interact, it feels like you've been watching the movie for a long time. It also doesn't feel like many characters grow or learn anything. I know they made a joke about it at the end, but that doesn't change the fact that it hurts the characters.

Overall: There's a fair amount to like about this movie. It's witty and features great actors in outlandish roles. That alone is enough to make it worth a watch. The first half can be rough, but if you make it through that, the second half is rewarding enough to make this work.
½ March 15, 2018
This movie is extremely well made. Well written, well directed, well everything. It's also, unfortunately, pretty darn boring. I'm looking at these other user reviews on how funny this movie is, and it honestly baffles me. I really wanted to like this movie, I really did, but ultimately the comedy didn't click with me. The funniest thing about this film is George Clooney playing... the character he plays (it's not a good sign when an audience member can't remember a character's name five minutes after watching your film). Most of the film he garnered the same reaction from me the other characters did (a stoic expression), but there were a few moments where, while I didn't laugh, I got a nice smile from him.

This movie felt uneventful. And if you've seen it and are reading this, you'll know what a strange claim that is to make. But that's how it felt to me. I felt like it was just slowly picking up steam, but when the end credits popped up I literally asked allowed, "That's it?" And, indeed, it was.

Give this film a try if you think it might be your cup of tea, but if you don't find yourself amused or engrossed in the first half hour, just shut it off. I'm in no way saying other people haven't enjoyed this film, shouldn't enjoy this film, or won't enjoy this film. I'm just saying... I thought it was kinda meh.
February 25, 2018
How can I describe Burn After Reading? Strange. Weird. Funny. I like that in some movies. With this movie in their repertoire, the Coens make an unusual piece of comedy that makes the viewer question, "What the hell is going on here?" But, I loved it. I don't know why, but I loved it. It's strangely hilarious, unusually thrilling, and weirdly lovable. Also, an out-of-his-mind performance from George Clooney, and quirkiness from Brad Pitt and Frances McDormand make this movie all the more lovable. I loved it.
February 25, 2018
The worst movie I have ever seen, at the flicks
January 29, 2018
Plot is a load of balls. Biggest waste of a buildup ever
December 27, 2017
Quirky humor which is usually the only movie humor I enjoy. The acting was well done, even Brad Pitt which usually I can only see as himself.
½ December 26, 2017

[Joel & Ethan Coen]
December 12, 2017
A movie that finely highlights just how overrated the Coens are. They have no ear for comedy whatsoever. They can write "dark comedy" the same way Stephen King can write dark comedy, I suppose. I think they hit their creative peak with Fargo and No Country For Old Men. Usually they just churn out shit like this.
November 29, 2017
Out of all the Coen Brothers movies I've seen, this is the one I hated. Does that means it's bad and you shouldn't watch? No. The reason I hated the film is one thing, "It's not funny". I mean where's the comedy, I hardly laughed at all in this film, except for the dildo chair scene, that was pretty funny. The other reasons is that I hated most of the characters due to how unfaithful they were to their partners and the ending. None of the characters ever faced repercussion for their actions and when they did, it was just unsatisfying. The female characters, I despised the most.

So basically, it's a good film you should check out, it's just not the film for me, I hated the story, I hated the characters and I hated the ending. It just does horribly in mixing comedy and drama in my opinion.
½ November 1, 2017
Burn After Reading. A lazy, orignal, oddball 'comedy' that lacks the laughs and it just plain boring. You will want to burn it after watching.
October 11, 2017
An extremely tight and to the point script with hilarious themes and dialogue performed unanimously beautiful by the cast, especially Brad Pitt. Nothing mind blowing or cinema changing but a very underrated and hilarious film to behold.
September 26, 2017
Gets better every time
September 26, 2017
A film rife in hyper-satire is redeemed by the fitting analysis of such events by two CIA executives, David Rasche and JK Simmons, which adds an element of reflexivity that enables us to enjoy the story without getting caught up in disbelief. The Washnigtonian-insider themes felt overbearing at times, especially for a films with matter that transcends all ranges of people.
September 23, 2017
Storytelling at its finest, one of the Coen Brothers most underrated films comes from a bunch of silly yet hilariously written characters performed perfectly by the cast and directed to perfection.
July 30, 2017
A pretty good movie with pretty good acting and pretty good direction. Nothing spectacular though.
May 30, 2017
An unfortunate low point for all involved. I was particularly disappointed in the film, because the Coen Brothers are my favorite filmmakers. But this film, just didn't work.
May 19, 2017
One of my favorite comedies. Definitely the Coen Brothers at their funniest.
May 13, 2017
Coen Bros. worst effort. Horrible waste of talent.