Burn After Reading - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burn After Reading Reviews

June 15, 2018
disappointing after experiencing..

Burn After Reading

It is a misguided feature whose actual concrete material is piled upon it's subtle tone that asks viewers to work for it and read between the line and if thought twice about it, the extracted material narrows down to a moot point. The script is dull and annoying, as one can clearly see the writers sweat behind the camera to break a smile on the viewer's face, and fail miserably in the end. The artsy factor is here is taken for granted and relies completely upon the viewers to be star struck and appreciate to whatever is offered. The Coen Brothers; the writer-director, clearly fails to implement their vision on screen and seems unstable where each individual thread of the plot track is a textbook formula of cinema. Despite of having such a powerful cast like George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins and J.K. Simmons, their barely lies a performance that demands attention or even convince for a second look. It is short on technical aspects like sound department, art design and editing. Burn After Reading is more like disappointing after experiencing for the most of the part in here is either a failed attempt to create a humorous skit with a multi-billionaire cast or just hoax.
½ April 22, 2018
The directors' skill is apparent and the cast fit their roles perfectly. But by the end of this nihilistic story, you slowly realize that you completely wasted an hour and thirty-six minutes of your life.
DrStrangeblog
April 19, 2018
Remember a time you told a joke that you thought was hilarious only to be met with a smattering of polite chuckles? That's 'Burn After Reading'. The premise of a fitness club worker with low self-esteem and her meathead associate trying to sell what they believe are top secret documents to the Russians in order to pay for her boob job looks promising on paper, but too much goes wrong in the translation the film. The Coens have never had a bigger star cast (Brad Pitt George Clooney Francis McDormand John Malkovich Tilda Swinton Richard Jenkins JK Simmons and even David "Sledge Hammer" Rasche) to work with. Clooney always gets the Coens' style, Pitt is absolutely riotous and the best thing about the movie, Swinton is a perfect icy bitch, but McDormand strangely searches for a tone and Malkovich goes all wrong as he doesn't seem to realize he's in a comedy. The film's final wrapup falls especially flat.
April 17, 2018
Estúpidamente buena!
April 7, 2018
I think the audience rated this one correctly. The critics infatuated with all things cohen bros couldn't see past the vacuous plot, the gratuitous violence, over the top performances from actors who should have known better. Yawn is keyword as this movie grinds to the eventual faux quirky end. One can definitely do better with their time than suffer through this one.
April 6, 2018
Very different, Star performers. Saw in the Cinema in 2008, and again in 2018 on DVD. Has it's moments. Enjoyed it.
April 5, 2018
The Coen brothers create a collection of truly terrible people and put them through a labyrinthine plot in one of their darkest comedies. John Malkovich is a CIA analyst drummed out for alcoholism. Tilda Swinton is his unfaithful wife. George Clooney is her dimwitted lover. Frances McDormand is a health club employee trying to get money for plastic surgery. Brad Pitt is her co-worker. Richard Jenkins in their boss. The plot involves blackmail and Malkovich's memoirs, but it's largely an excuse to put these characters into increasingly complex screwball scenarios. It's not one of their strongest films ... in fact parts of it are a bit sloppy ... but the characters are strong and it's genuinely funny in a very black way. I like it more than some of their more critically well-received films.
½ March 21, 2018
hilarious crazy and bizarre
All you can expect from the Coen brothers, stupidly funny and likeable characters that tangle by up the story in the most excentric way possible, giving us great moments with to laugh our lungs out. The endless list of stars that apear in this film have their own memorable moment.
This movie is nothing more than a pleasent treat for the Coen fans and the lovers of black humor violence.
March 15, 2018
Strengths: The most appealing thing about this film is watching some of the most talented actors around as some very zany characters. Brad Pitt (Chad) looked like he was having a blast and made me laugh several times. George Clooney (Harry) and Frances McDormand (Linda) were both game for their comedic roles. It's a strange movie that doesn't shy away from that fact and embraces it. I mean, there's literally a scene involving a dildo chair. There were also some fun plot twists and surprising, with the most shocking moment coming between Clooney and Pitt in a memorable scene. There's also a pretty funny way for Linda's storyline to wrap up that I got a kick out of.

Weaknesses: As good as the three actors mentioned above were, some of the others left me feeling disappointed. I didn't much for the scenes involving John Malkovich (Osbourne), unless it was with Pitt. The same goes for Tilda Swinton (Katie). The first act of the film is too slow paced to fully work. It's necessary to establish all the characters, but by the time they all come together to interact, it feels like you've been watching the movie for a long time. It also doesn't feel like many characters grow or learn anything. I know they made a joke about it at the end, but that doesn't change the fact that it hurts the characters.

Overall: There's a fair amount to like about this movie. It's witty and features great actors in outlandish roles. That alone is enough to make it worth a watch. The first half can be rough, but if you make it through that, the second half is rewarding enough to make this work.
½ March 15, 2018
This movie is extremely well made. Well written, well directed, well everything. It's also, unfortunately, pretty darn boring. I'm looking at these other user reviews on how funny this movie is, and it honestly baffles me. I really wanted to like this movie, I really did, but ultimately the comedy didn't click with me. The funniest thing about this film is George Clooney playing... the character he plays (it's not a good sign when an audience member can't remember a character's name five minutes after watching your film). Most of the film he garnered the same reaction from me the other characters did (a stoic expression), but there were a few moments where, while I didn't laugh, I got a nice smile from him.

This movie felt uneventful. And if you've seen it and are reading this, you'll know what a strange claim that is to make. But that's how it felt to me. I felt like it was just slowly picking up steam, but when the end credits popped up I literally asked allowed, "That's it?" And, indeed, it was.

Give this film a try if you think it might be your cup of tea, but if you don't find yourself amused or engrossed in the first half hour, just shut it off. I'm in no way saying other people haven't enjoyed this film, shouldn't enjoy this film, or won't enjoy this film. I'm just saying... I thought it was kinda meh.
February 25, 2018
How can I describe Burn After Reading? Strange. Weird. Funny. I like that in some movies. With this movie in their repertoire, the Coens make an unusual piece of comedy that makes the viewer question, "What the hell is going on here?" But, I loved it. I don't know why, but I loved it. It's strangely hilarious, unusually thrilling, and weirdly lovable. Also, an out-of-his-mind performance from George Clooney, and quirkiness from Brad Pitt and Frances McDormand make this movie all the more lovable. I loved it.
February 25, 2018
The worst movie I have ever seen, at the flicks
January 29, 2018
Plot is a load of balls. Biggest waste of a buildup ever
December 27, 2017
Quirky humor which is usually the only movie humor I enjoy. The acting was well done, even Brad Pitt which usually I can only see as himself.
½ December 26, 2017
7.6

[Joel & Ethan Coen]
December 12, 2017
A movie that finely highlights just how overrated the Coens are. They have no ear for comedy whatsoever. They can write "dark comedy" the same way Stephen King can write dark comedy, I suppose. I think they hit their creative peak with Fargo and No Country For Old Men. Usually they just churn out shit like this.
November 29, 2017
Out of all the Coen Brothers movies I've seen, this is the one I hated. Does that means it's bad and you shouldn't watch? No. The reason I hated the film is one thing, "It's not funny". I mean where's the comedy, I hardly laughed at all in this film, except for the dildo chair scene, that was pretty funny. The other reasons is that I hated most of the characters due to how unfaithful they were to their partners and the ending. None of the characters ever faced repercussion for their actions and when they did, it was just unsatisfying. The female characters, I despised the most.

So basically, it's a good film you should check out, it's just not the film for me, I hated the story, I hated the characters and I hated the ending. It just does horribly in mixing comedy and drama in my opinion.
½ November 1, 2017
Burn After Reading. A lazy, orignal, oddball 'comedy' that lacks the laughs and it just plain boring. You will want to burn it after watching.
October 11, 2017
An extremely tight and to the point script with hilarious themes and dialogue performed unanimously beautiful by the cast, especially Brad Pitt. Nothing mind blowing or cinema changing but a very underrated and hilarious film to behold.