Burn After Reading - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burn After Reading Reviews

March 17, 2017
"Burn After Reading" is one of my least favorite Coen Brothers films. The Coens have created some inspired work from "Fargo" to "No Country For Old Men," but this script relies on a constant stream of f-words to fill in the gaps left by its weak plot. I loathe modern comedies that subscribe to the belief that if you use the f-word enough, it will become a running gag (Melissa McCarthy, I'm talking to you). In fact, the main theme that connects the film together is its crude content. Why is every relationship in the film predicated on infidelity? And that machine that George Clooney builds - there is absolutely no purpose behind it, and yet it's there for the sake of being there. I didn't like this film when it came out and tried to approach it with fresh eyes, believing that I would fall in love with it knowing what I know now about movies. I was wrong and should have trusted my first experience with it. I actually hated it significantly more than I did the first time! You would think that a cast including John Malkovich, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton (detestable in this role), Richard Jenkins, J.K. Simmons, and Clooney would have to be amazing but the entire story is absurd. It's almost as if they pigeonholed a bunch of great actors into a 90's Adam Sandler movie and called it sophisticated. Black comedies often miss the mark because they don't find that balance between feeling sorry for characters and enjoying their misfortune. This one is a prime example. Pitt is the only reason to even consider watching this film a his character is so over the top that we love to see him be absurd. Unfortunately, the rest of the characters are so static that he feels out of place. There are a few decent moments in this film (serving the papers, Pitt's nosebleed) but nothing that will make it worth enduring. If you love the Coen brothers, you might see something in "Burn After Reading" that I didn't. After you're done, you can find me pouting in the corner, still annoyed with myself for wasting an hour and a half on this film AGAIN!
March 13, 2017
This movie is SO funny!! Great casting but John M. really makes me smile.
March 2, 2017
Un film dall'umorismo molto particolare e sempre sopra le righe. Ha una trama estremamente complicata ma riesce ad alternare momenti seri e difficili con altri molto più leggeri e divertenti, anche grazie ad una spiccata autoironia. Nonostante questo, non è riuscito a farmi ridere come avrebbe voluto, preferisco di gran lunga l'umorismo dei Coen più velato e impalpabile, come ci hanno abituato in loro film migliori di questo.
February 6, 2017
Una roba completamente insensata, che però mi ha strappato qualche sorriso.
Oltre non mi spingo perché non mi sembra una trovata poi così geniale.
February 6, 2017
Una roba completamente insensata, che però mi ha strappato qualche sorriso.
Oltre non mi spingo perché non mi sembra una trovata poi così geniale.
½ January 11, 2017
so much ado for nothing... pretty slow... good bt slow 10/dez/2016
January 10, 2017
I did not get into this movie. I lie things that are a little crazy, but I had trouble getting into this one. The second act went off the rails for me.
½ January 10, 2017
Absolutely not interesting.
½ January 8, 2017
Very odd movie. Great cast and moments of laughing out loud but overall a very weird story.
½ December 28, 2016
The Coen Brothers making a clever black comedy / thriller
December 23, 2016
Great comedy and performances by JK Simmons and Malkovich
½ December 22, 2016
The intriguing comedy by the Coen Brothers remains unrivaled in this spy story, rich with a perfect cast, and two great big as Clooney and Pitt
December 20, 2016
Up there in the Coen brothers best with great performances and a gripping story, what is there not to like.
December 16, 2016
Very funny if you live or have lived in DC.
December 11, 2016
Funny and chaotic. Clooney and Pitt are laughs as a couple of dimwitts. Malkovich is great as an arrogant alcoholic. All the story lines converge in the maddness of this light and absurd comedy.
December 5, 2016
While it's not a brilliant film, Burn After Reading is a wonderfully mean-spirited and dark comedy-of-errors.
½ December 2, 2016
Burn After Reading is a well executed film from the Coens with a sharp script and enjoyably over-the-top performances from Brad Pitt and John Malkovich.
December 2, 2016
Tremendous filmmaking
December 2, 2016
This by far their dumbest comedy, but it still works. The coen brothers jobs must be a hoot. Love their work.
½ November 30, 2016
I couldn't finish the film because of how over-the-top the stupidity and thought process was for each character. We followed several, separate storylines of characters whose actions and thought processes were painful to watch. Eventually, and I mean eventually, their stories entwine into a cluster %@$! of stupidity and nonsense. I had to turn it off.