Burn After Reading - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Burn After Reading Reviews

May 19, 2017
One of my favorite comedies. Definitely the Coen Brothers at their funniest.
May 13, 2017
Coen Bros. worst effort. Horrible waste of talent.
May 4, 2017
Burn after watching as well. This movie stinks and isn't worth remembering. (First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
May 1, 2017
Grade - B
I found myself enjoying this Coen Brothers comedy flick. It's got some good jokes and an amazing cast, even if it's ultimately rather shallow and empty.
April 14, 2017
A quirky chaotic film that has it's moments.
April 10, 2017
Burn After Reading is clever and pays off in the end, but the first half doesn't always work with so many storylines being explored. That said, solid cast and work by the Coen bros.
½ April 10, 2017
Enjoyable and funny but too short and that ending wtf
April 3, 2017
I had a simply delightful time with this wacky comedy. It was nice going in without knowing what to expect because I didn't have any idea what was coming next. It was fun to uncover who was doing what and why as I watched the film. This did force me to watch more closely so I sometimes put more serious thought into it instead of just laughing along. I think I might like it even more on a rewatch because I will be able to relax and enjoy the humorous ride, knowing the main plot points.

The performances were all great, but Brad Pitt stood out because he was so over the top. Frances McDormand was hilarious, and her matter-of-fact delivery made it all seem weirdly realistic despite the nuttiness of everything that was happening. But my favorite scenes by far were the couple of scenes with JK Simmons. He presented such a great range that perfectly summed up all that had come before. It was awesome having those moments where everything is explained, but then I had the realization that it sounds ridiculous to an outsider (like Simmons' character) who doesn't know how it all started.

The setup in the first act was probably the weakest part of the film for me. While I appreciated all the back story so that I could comprehend what was going on, it took so long for the different character stories to intersect that I wondered if it was ever coming. The second act is where things escalate for all the characters and stories start to collide. I thought the humor really picked up here and it didn't let up until the very end. I have a sneaking suspicion that, with a few more views, this could easily become my favorite Coen comedy.
March 31, 2017
Gets better towards the end, but there are no likable characters, and just who's really funny - the man at the top, who makes only a couple of fleeting appearances.
March 17, 2017
"Burn After Reading" is one of my least favorite Coen Brothers films. The Coens have created some inspired work from "Fargo" to "No Country For Old Men," but this script relies on a constant stream of f-words to fill in the gaps left by its weak plot. I loathe modern comedies that subscribe to the belief that if you use the f-word enough, it will become a running gag (Melissa McCarthy, I'm talking to you). In fact, the main theme that connects the film together is its crude content. Why is every relationship in the film predicated on infidelity? And that machine that George Clooney builds - there is absolutely no purpose behind it, and yet it's there for the sake of being there. I didn't like this film when it came out and tried to approach it with fresh eyes, believing that I would fall in love with it knowing what I know now about movies. I was wrong and should have trusted my first experience with it. I actually hated it significantly more than I did the first time! You would think that a cast including John Malkovich, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton (detestable in this role), Richard Jenkins, J.K. Simmons, and Clooney would have to be amazing but the entire story is absurd. It's almost as if they pigeonholed a bunch of great actors into a 90's Adam Sandler movie and called it sophisticated. Black comedies often miss the mark because they don't find that balance between feeling sorry for characters and enjoying their misfortune. This one is a prime example. Pitt is the only reason to even consider watching this film a his character is so over the top that we love to see him be absurd. Unfortunately, the rest of the characters are so static that he feels out of place. There are a few decent moments in this film (serving the papers, Pitt's nosebleed) but nothing that will make it worth enduring. If you love the Coen brothers, you might see something in "Burn After Reading" that I didn't. After you're done, you can find me pouting in the corner, still annoyed with myself for wasting an hour and a half on this film AGAIN!
March 13, 2017
This movie is SO funny!! Great casting but John M. really makes me smile.
March 2, 2017
Un film dall'umorismo molto particolare e sempre sopra le righe. Ha una trama estremamente complicata ma riesce ad alternare momenti seri e difficili con altri molto più leggeri e divertenti, anche grazie ad una spiccata autoironia. Nonostante questo, non è riuscito a farmi ridere come avrebbe voluto, preferisco di gran lunga l'umorismo dei Coen più velato e impalpabile, come ci hanno abituato in loro film migliori di questo.
February 6, 2017
Una roba completamente insensata, che però mi ha strappato qualche sorriso.
Oltre non mi spingo perché non mi sembra una trovata poi così geniale.
February 6, 2017
Una roba completamente insensata, che però mi ha strappato qualche sorriso.
Oltre non mi spingo perché non mi sembra una trovata poi così geniale.
½ January 11, 2017
so much ado for nothing... pretty slow... good bt slow 10/dez/2016
January 10, 2017
I did not get into this movie. I lie things that are a little crazy, but I had trouble getting into this one. The second act went off the rails for me.
½ January 10, 2017
Absolutely not interesting.
½ January 8, 2017
Very odd movie. Great cast and moments of laughing out loud but overall a very weird story.
½ December 28, 2016