By The Sea Reviews

• Aug 30, 2019

In my opinion, This movie will become film art. It will be timeless. I do think it moved very slow. However, It is beautifully done. The movie does feel like 1970's. I think it hits the mark. It keeps you guessing about what happened to this couple. To me, their voyeurism tells a story of what they might have been like and they are trying to get back to that place. If anyone has watched a french film from the 70's its perfect what kept me watching was trying to figure out what it was that was between them. Overall, I thought it was a beautiful movie.

• Jul 07, 2019

visually beautiful, but lacking any sort of coherent storyline. the "big reveal" was boring and underwhelming, and the dialogue was stiff... 3 stars only for the stunning setting and, of course, for Angelina

• Dec 19, 2018

Half an hour into By the Sea, I began to get the sinking feeling the movie was actually slowing down - and that was after a slow start. I'm not being mean, I'm serious. The movie started slow, then slowed to such a crawl that I almost expected the movie to come to a dead stop. Truth be told, this movie is so dusty and dull that I was almost certain that's what was happening. There's a sense of anticipation in every film, even the slowest of art films, in which I wait for the spark that will ignite the plot so we can get going. In the case of By the Sea, it took about an hour before I began the piece together the movie's actual purpose, and worse was the fact that it was going to be another hour before anything meaningful was going to happen. This is an experience that I should have anticipated. By the Sea is already generating some infamy. It opened in mid-November to a weekend box office gross that didn't even top $100,000 and then took a beating from many of the critics that was equal to what Apollo Creed got from Ivan Drago. Is it worth that kind of negativity? Well . . . yes. If By the Sea were just any other movie with a no-name cast, I probably could have dismissed it and moved on. But here are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, two beautiful people, a married couple in real life playing a married couple on screen. With that, we might expect a bit of autobiography especially since she wrote and directed the movie and they both had a hand in producing. Is it autobiographical? Lord, I hope not. I refuse to believe that these two engaging people are this dull and lifeless. Let's start from the beginning. Somewhere in the mid-70s, Vanessa and Roland are an unhappy couple who have been enduring a loveless marriage that is now trudging into its 14th year. We can imagine that, long ago, there was a spark in their marriage that kept them together. What burned that spark out is something that we have to wait two hours to figure out. Apparently thinking that a vacation will cure their ills they drive up to a remote French town for a stay at a hotel with a view of the Mediterranean that is breathtaking. The point, I think, is for Roland to get some writing done and for the couple to clear their heads about what is bothering them. In their room, he moves the table next to the window and sets up a typewriter then spends the rest of the movie either sleeping or chugging booze in the bar downstairs. Apparently Roland is one of those writers who spends more time telling people that he's a writer then actually writing. Vanessa, on the other hand, does little to nothing. She sits, she broods, she walks around in big floppy hats, she looks longingly at the sea, and she's rude to other people. Something's going on her mind, something so severe that at one point she goes down to the sea and contemplates suicide. Back in the room, her only real point of interest - when she isn't fussing at Roland for drinking too much - is peeking through a hole in the wall and watching the newlyweds in the room next door. Those are the points of interest. In between - padding a 122 minute running time - are scenes of Jolie staring at the walls or standing on the balcony staring at the Mediterranean with all the life and energy of a house cat settling in for a nap. Meanwhile he spends time talking to a friendly bartender about marriage and women - actually he has a better connection with this man then he does with his wife. Occasionally, Vanessa and Roland spend time together but it's in an effort to avoid what ails them. Something troubling is brewing in their marriage that they won't talk about and it dawns on us that this particular problem is going to become the film's emotional climax. What is revealed is something that should have been dealt with at least a half an hour into the movie so that we didn't have to spend a long boring hour looking at people looking at things. These two beautiful nitwits spend empty hours hating each other. Doesn't that sound like fun? Recently, I revisited Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, another story of a couple dealing with disconnection. But that story hashed out their problems in the first half hour so we have time to deal with that is driving them apart. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman talked about their problem. This story uses the problem as a carrot on a stick that we wait two boring hours to get around to. It becomes obvious early on that whatever prompted Pitt and Jolie to make this movie is probably more interesting to them then it is to us. The story is as dull as dishwater, and that's all the more frustrating because we know how spirited and engaging these two are. By the Sea is a struggle to sit through. It is less a story then a test of your patience. How long can you endure pretty pictures? How long can you endure two of the most likable actors being miserable? They're not engaging here. These two actors became movie stars because of their personalities. They've created Vanessa and Roland, two people who deserve each other, but what did we do to deserve them?

• Dec 07, 2018

I first watched this movie after the breakup of the marriage of the two leads out of curiosity. I remember hearing them say when they were promoting the movie that the couple in the movie's issues are not their personal issues. So I was surprised at the scene when Angelina basically calls Brad Pitt a worthless drunk and she is angry and can't forgive him. Also Angelina's character struggles with depression, didn't Angelina admit to struggling with depression in real life? The movie started to feel like a tell all and I felt disgusting for watching it, on top of feeling disgusted by the sexual perversion of the characters in the story. This movie was disturbing. I am a fan of Angelina's and hearing that she wrote and directed this movie I was hoping that it would reveal a brilliant mind, but the story, the dialog, the acting, it was a disappointment.

• Sep 17, 2018

all the bickering and jealousy.. By The Sea By The Sea is a character driven romantic drama about a couple whose honeymoon goes haywire after jealousy and treachery gets in between them. The chemistry fuels this overridden drama to reach newer territories without fumbling where the audience wouldn't mind taking a ride along with them, no matter how annoying the couple grows with all the bickering and jealousy. But, even as strong as chemistry like such could never replace the substance over style. And the primary reason why the feature is stuck on a dull loop, is because of the genre of the premise. It requires the weaving of the structure in front of the audience and it is such poorly written with no bars held, that emotions set out were so not what the emotions come out. The narration is dry with probably somewhat gripping screenplay that too wears out latter, as the policies grows pretentious, the gist loud and the emotions shallow. The background score may as well be non existent on terms of its factoring, the cinematography is redundant along with poor editing and on the up side it has stunning visuals, live locations and is beautifully shot. Pitt is more "Mr. And Mrs. Smith"-y than when he was in it, whilst Jolie is milking way too much to keep the crisp alive. The talent that actually goes waste by is Laurent that is convincing on her supporting role. Jolie's execution has definitely improved a lot, but the script is the actual culprit in here that holds the ideology narrower and keeps it intact of its self-created pathos scrutiny. The chemistry among the lead cast, few one liners and visual aesthetics are the only high points of the feature. By The Sea is a bore; I'll just say it straight out, it is a bore to a point where even the somewhat visible craft isn't appreciative.

• Aug 20, 2018

Worst movie I have seen in ten years. Painful to watch. Best part of the movie was the end.

• Jul 24, 2018

Most boring movie I've ever seen. 2h of my life I'm never gonna get back.

Most boring movie I've ever seen. 2h of my life I'm never gonna get back.

• May 08, 2018

A long, drawn-out movie with labored dialogue and plot.

A long, drawn-out movie with labored dialogue and plot.

• Apr 29, 2018

Beautiful location but fell short on everything else. The voyeurism angle had potential, but no ideas were adequately developed due to the amateurish script, drawn out repetitive scenes and vacant characters.

• Apr 21, 2018