The Cable Guy Reviews

• May 02, 2021

Jim Carrey's unique film character and his films don't always agree. It's really good when they do. Other bigger than life characters have the same problems. They are top stars looking for a play to suit their talents. Viz the Minions (after the first one) and TV's Miranda Hart. Finally we find one that works. Big, dynamic, menacing, funny Carrey - with a great foil in mild mannered Matthew Broderick - produces an outstanding performance as an apparently increasingly unhinged tradesman looking for a friend and becoming almost impossible and quite dangerous to shake off. He keeps on coming back looking for love. Difficult to characterise this film. Too dark for a black comedy. More a black horror film. I do like the ending where he starts grooming the ambulance man as his new friend. Jim Carrey's best film in my opinion.

• Apr 03, 2021

It's off-beat, subversive and very watchable. Carrey gives a predictably goofy performance but the darker tone makes this very different to his other films. It's also a product of its time. It doesn't play as well as it did and a lot of the satire is lost in an internet age. Still, a nostalgic look back at the 90s.

• Mar 17, 2021

Maybe it's nostalgic- but I've always loved this movie and found it to be underrated. Jim Carrey is great as always, and Matthew Broderick plays alongside him so well, I find it to be a unique comedy. I find it gets better with time and gives you a great and funny look back at life in the 90s.

• Feb 24, 2021

“So, let’s change all that and let me buy you a Heineken.” Perhaps Jim Carrey‘s best work as a dark obsessed ex-cable installer just looking to make a new friend. Broderick is the absolute perfect straight laced boy next-door to get swept into the zany world of Chip Douglas. Probably more of a guys guy movie, but many gut wrenching moments along with a preponderance of amazing one-liners one after another after another. “She’s on you like a lampshade, he who hesitates masturbates.”

• Feb 16, 2021

The greatest scene is where Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick fight each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Feb 14, 2021

It's a unique film, namely for what it was back in 1996 and, as time has gone on and considering what we have now with the internet, this has quite a number of relevance today. Overall, I wouldn't say this is a perfect movie. It can be a little too bizarre and kind of annoying at times, but watching it with an updated view will definitely leave you thinking.

• Jan 05, 2021

Jim Carrey is his usual absurd self but the comedy is a little darker this time. The social commentary is pretty meh. And the laughs weren't consistent enough for me. I've never been a big Matthew Broderick fan though.

• Dec 29, 2020

The Cable Guy is appealing and clueless, it is not a movie that makes you want to see it again and it has nonsense jokes and absurd misogynists.

• Dec 22, 2020

Interesting movie, it has good atmosphere. Somewhere i reed that this is ‘black comedy' movie, in fact this is more like horror comedy, or crime comedy movie.

• Dec 10, 2020

Super funny and very original. Do not miss.

Super funny and very original. Do not miss.