Caddyshack Reviews

• Oct 12, 2020

Should probably have watched it with someone that's already seen it. Pretty funny though.

• Sep 29, 2020

Just a classic comedy with awesome comedic actors -- Chase, Dangerfield, Murray (x2), Knight.

• Sep 13, 2020

An endearing coming of age comedy surrounded by nonsensical humor. Harold Ramis wrote and directed his delightful sports comedy Caddyshack (1980) with an easy going vibe and genuine good humor. We already have Harold Ramis to thank for Bill Murray's funny career thanks to his genius writing for Ghostbusters, but before the ghost catching charlatans ever set up business in New York, Bill Murray chased a gopher on a golf course for our entertainment. Caddyshack holds up. Harold Ramis' writing tells you to remain true to who you are and your real friends who will take care of you in your hour of need, instead of relying on sucking up to belligerent, cruel millionaires. Chevy Chase is brilliantly subtle with his dry wit and nuanced deadpan delivery that works to make him the aloof millionaire golfing out of boredom. Rodney Dangerfield is a riot as the wealthy real estate tycoon, who just gives his money away and terrorizes the elitist snobs of the golf club with his fun loving attitude. His one liners are unreal in how biting his witty satire remains and shockingly risque still. Ted Knight is awesome as the stingy rich judge with his racist and elitist snobbery about every little thing. They make an interesting triple threat of comedic hilarity, juxtaposing the differences in the wealthy class. They each cleverly represent the type of morality, or lack thereof, in the upper class. Michael O'Keefe is both funny and endearing as the caddy and amateur golfer with aspirations for something higher. His sincere dramatic scenes with the adorable Sarah Holcomb as Maggie are sweet, while his chemistry with the drop dead gorgeous, platinum blonde Cindy Morgan as Lacey Underall is dynamite. Morgan is sexy and alluring, but it's her teasing of O'Keefe and Chase that makes her so tantalizing on screen as Lacey. She was lovely in Caddyshack and cute in TRON too. I wish she acted with more big features. I must mention that Bill Murray's outrageous performance as Carl Spackler is just too funny. His weird mumbling, perverted spying on women bending over, and deranged murderous fury against a gopher is hilarious. I have loved Bill Murray in Caddyshack ever since I was a kid. Ramis' absurdist sense of humor is just delirious fun and keeps Caddyshack a charming feature. It's very cool how he splits up the story between the unlikable elitist rich golfers and the fun coming of age comedy stuff with the teenagers nearby as well as the absurdist pseudo-violence of Bill Murray attempting to assassinate a gopher. Ramis was a phenomenally creative director, capable of bringing out glory and guffaws out of his remarkable casts, and Caddyshack is a prime example of excellence in direction. Rest in peace Harold Ramis, you beautiful genius. William C. Carruth's editing features some neat blended cuts during the tasteful sex sequences for this teen sex comedy romp as well as goofy montages during the Dangerfield and Knight golf bet game. Carruth's sleek cuts keep Caddyshack to a tolerable 98 minutes for such a delightfully strange comedy. Stevan Larner's cinematography is cute during the underground gopher perspective, gorgeous during the love making, classy for the golf club indoors sequences, and playful erratic for all the coming of age scenes. He balances a curious mix of shots like Harold Ramis' stellar direction. Johnny Mandel's score is excellently composed with a fun vibe and light atmosphere to everything. I really enjoy Kenny Loggins' original songs for Caddyshack's memorable soundtrack. He adds a warmth for all the Summer fun herein. They even play "Summertime Blues" in Caddyshack. All the pool and golf scenes really make this movie special and timeless like a fun Summer afternoon. I definitely recommend Caddyshack after all these years.

• Aug 09, 2020

I don't see how this movie can possibly get more than four stars, but I'm here to give it every bit of all of those stars -- one for each of the stalwarts in this movie: Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray and Ted Knight. Yes, Knight. He is superb in Caddyshack. He makes it work. And nobody else could have done it any better.

• Henry R
    Aug 04, 2020

The best 80’s movie I have seen so far full of quotable moments

The best 80’s movie I have seen so far full of quotable moments

• Jul 16, 2020

A classic for a reason this is a Comedy still hold's up 40 years later a true classic and one of my favourite classic and all time comedies.

• Jul 15, 2020

Really funny golf film with a number of great bits.

Really funny golf film with a number of great bits.

• Jul 02, 2020

An instant classic with an awesome cast, great comedy to it, and has aged very well for 40 years.

• Jun 23, 2020

8o´s lovers u know what it feels like. Watching this on a lazy summer afternoon makes u wanna make plans for the evening to go out.

• Jun 06, 2020

I didn't really understand this film or enjoy it. There is a pretty blonde lady who gets her Boris out a few times. Other than that there is very little positive to say about this film. It makes no real sense, isn't very funny and has aged terribly.