Café - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Café Reviews

½ October 15, 2015
I enjoyed it because it had an originality and was not as predictable as most films however the story was a little too fairytaled
March 2, 2015
This movie explains how we are all interconnected. Like Gandhi said, one person can make a difference and 3 can change the world.
July 24, 2014
watch it you will enjoy!
½ April 7, 2014
Monday, April 7, 2014

(2010) Café
DRAMA/ SCIENCE-FICTION

At the start of the movie, gunshots are being heard from an independent Café shop, and then the real story switches back starting one week earlier, starting from a Sunday. It revolves around a café joint and the people that go to it. It consists a bunch of nobody's because much of the characters doesn't seem to have anything to do with the gunshots that occurred at the beginning. Some of the characters include a person writing a book, two people meeting from a theatre, except the man already has a ring on his finger, a drug addict as well as the drug seller(Jamie Kennedy). And the most bizarre one of all, something that was already been done already called "The Matrix", in which a young 10 or 12 year old girl is seen talking like an adult, telling an overweight man on a lap top that he's a made up person called an 'Avatar'. She tries to instruct him to do something, and he doesn't listen. Both Claire (Jennifer Love Hewitt) and Todd (Daniel Eric Gold) are the only people who work at the Café shop, with the peculiar thing that they don't know what their boss look like. I mean, it's like how do they even get paid if they don't know what their boss even look like. Anyways, the film was written and directed by Marc Erlbaum, who may have came up the idea by watching "The Matrix" from his laptop, while drinking coffee at Starbucks.

1 star out of 4
March 11, 2014
Ihana elokuva, joka kertoo kahvilan tapahtumista
November 12, 2013
Very interesting, melancholic, and somewhat uplifting movie with a few twists. It raises the questions of faith, sacrifice, and human nature. Almost religious in a "Matrix" kind of way. I thought it to be very original and worth watching again. A pretty intricate mix of storylines and themes occurring within the context of a Cafe in Philadelphia.
October 14, 2013
I had no idea what this was going to be about when I clicked on it in NFLX. Sounded like Sci Fi. Instead, it was a charming little movie about something greater than the lives of these people in the cafe. The ending was a little more heavy-handed than it needed to be, but the acting was good and I think we can all identify with the characters in the film. Nice.
½ September 24, 2013
A whimsical film that delves into mundane drama, however it eventually cascades into a much more 'grand scale' question about the nature of reality, this film poses some interesting questions about not only the holographic universe theory, but about faith in general as well.
½ May 13, 2013
Meh. Cafe is another decent idea rendered boring by cliche ridden plots and regurgitated, almost discredited tropes.

It stars Jennifer Love Hewitt, so I should have known better, but I was sucked by the opening shot--a panorama of the Victorian building dwelling in West Philadelphia--the film's only quality shot.

Set in a cafe and only in the Cafe, the main gist is that the world is a computer program, a Sims of shorts, run by a 10-year old girl. She decides to reveal herself to a stereotypical fat, cafe patron. After the obligatory denial-and-proof section that all movies asserting such fantasy in a realistic setting must have, she compels the fat-dude to tell Hewitt's character, a barista, that they are in fact not real. If you suspect that this is the main thrust of the plot you would be sadly mistaken. All that comes from this moment, a moment built-up by angst, doubt, and soul-searching by the fat guy, is nothing but a conversation on juvenile metaphysics. Nothing changes because of it; nothing is advanced; it has no effect on the events that come after it. Why did the little girl-god have the fat guy do it? No reason, apparently.

Most of the film deals will the b-stories of the patrons. They tell you it. Meaning, they sit at the cafe and tell you their stories, because that's much better than actually seeing it played out on film. Have you ever sat at a coffeehouse and have a blabbermouth sit down beside you and yammer on about themselves? Were they annoying and did you not care about their life? Same thing!

Even more annoying, the movie stars a co-worker secretly in-love with Mrs. Hewitt, and yes, he want's to revel his crush. Ugg. I am so sick of this story-line. To say that I don't care anymore if a character ever gets his limerence object would be an understatement--I am several years passed that--now I actively root against the Pepe La Pew character; that's how sick I am of the trope. There is even the predictable who-do-you-like conversation where Hewitt speculates that it is a well endowed redhead who has the hots for him, and I think â??yes! Go for the big breasted redhead!!!â?? But like a tool, he doesn't.

The plot does advance to an interesting twist at the end. I won't give it up in case you, for unimaginable reasons, want to watch the movie. It is dark though. But when you have a girl-god with access to the alt-ctl-delete buttons, you need not worry the film ending with any emotional depth.

The avatar theme is interesting, if not executed competently; I give one star for that. I give another star for the twist at the end, but deduct one-half for the deus ex machina. 1.5 stars.
½ March 31, 2013
i just love jennifer love hewitt...
March 15, 2013
If you have the patients for it and don't mind a subtle film about character this is worth a watch. The premise left me feeling like it was "6th sense lite" which isn't a bad thing at all, in fact its the best part. More like a clever slight of hand parlor trick than a big stage magic performance but its no less effective because it is so clever. I found myself contemplating it the next day in the way most film can't get me to do. Its so subtle i bet lots of people wont get it, but when you do its a pretty neat revelation. The execution of the actors is fairly weak, but you know that. When Jennifer Love Hewitt is your anchor actor, but they all do fine enough for the weight of this clever little film.
½ March 8, 2013
At first I thought 'how boring' but the plot started to change half way through the movie & it started to get interesting.
December 4, 2012
While the actors do a convincing job, this movie is a long-winded clichà (C). Several stories meet at a cafà (C) but it is hard to really care about any of the stories as they are never developed and viewers empathize through pity of the abused or those who are addicted to drugs. This movie is neither a "date movie" nor an "thinking movie" as the romanticism is extremely shallow and the end can be predicted 20 min into the movie. Maybe best labeled as a matrix-veggietales sort of film where God talks to a person through his macbook while he is in the cafà (C).
December 2, 2012
I would love to have a Café
November 2, 2012
Would like to see Jamie Kennedy do more serious roles like this. He has that Walken-esque twinkle in his eye that says I just may kill you if you cross me.
½ August 26, 2012
Really not that good. Cheesy story and a bad end.
½ August 11, 2012
I am just a sucker for these kind of little indie flicks.. Nice..
½ August 11, 2012
this movie put me to sleep.nonsense
July 19, 2012
We loved this movie. Quirky, magical, and with a surprisingly spiritual message.
½ June 30, 2012
I absolutely loved this movie. It gives a fresh take on life and its boundless possibilities.I's a slow moving movie but it was never dull. I felt like i was in that cafe myself. The description of the movie was a bit vague and could have been written differently though.