Capricorn One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Capricorn One Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
With a largely good script, and decent performances from much of the cast the atmosphere is made suitably tense, keeping you gripped throughout. The ending is a little sudden and feels almost thrown away. Nevertheless, it's still a movie worth your time.
September 7, 2016
Even though the dialogue is creaky at times, this is an enjoyable and exciting bit of fluff. Lighter than other '70s conspiracy thrillers such as The Parallax View, but still keeps you gripped until the end.
July 15, 2016
Well, it has a great helicopter chase.
½ May 28, 2016
better than expected!
½ April 25, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, solid performances by a veteran cast, only the ending rings false.
October 26, 2015
Very entertaining film. Makes you wonder if this is what occurred during the moon landing?
September 9, 2015
This thriller gains point for it's boldness, uniqueness and provocative story. It looses points on almost everything else. However, it gets the message across and deserved to be mentioned as a part of the conspiracy world bible.
½ August 23, 2015
A good movie for the first hour but then it self destructs with glaring plot holes and conveniences.
April 23, 2015
I loved this movie. It had a fantastic ending. Everybody I know got the chills at the end of the movie. I can't think of another movie that I can say that for.
½ February 2, 2015
Ah, the cynical 1970s. The United States had lost the war in Vietnam and the American president resigned due to a two-bit burglary carried out by his aides at the Watergate hotel. This film is a byproduct of that period. A faked Mars landing is carried out. Due to a problem with the life support systems (due to the contractor cutting costs to maximize profits) the astronauts would die in space if they were sent out but the President is looking to trim the fat from his budget and if Mission Control scrubs the manned Mars flight, NASA may loose its funding. So the whole thing is faked and our three heroes (James Brolin, O.J. Simpson, and Sam Waterson) are convinced to go along with the ploy when their families are threatened. But when the remote-control module returns from Mars, it disintegrates in the atmosphere and Hal Holbrook and his shadowy masters do not want to explain to the President and Congress why the three heroic astronauts are still alive so they have to die. The three men escape into the desert chased by unmarked helicopter gunships. It hard to watch O.J. in a heroic role but the rest of the cast is pretty good. Elliot Gould plays a heroic reporter (Woodward and Bernstein were still heroes and Fox News hadn't reared its ugly head) who uncovers the truth, Brenda Vaccaro play's Brolin's character's wife, and look for Karen Black and Telly Savalas in bit roles. The film looks good, is exciting, and is well photographed. Unfortunately it fed conspiracy theorists who believe that we never landed anyone on the moon and encouraged writers to write books documenting the "moon-landing hoax." I guess if they hadn't written about that, they would have written books about the Bermuda Triangle. Ah, the cynical 1970s.
October 16, 2014
Great Sci Fi Movie about a Fake Mars Landing..Very Cool for it's Day James Brolin, O.J. Simpson star
½ September 11, 2014
A cracking piece of 70s paranoia film-making that offers a believable take on faking a Mars landing. Worth hunting down.
August 30, 2014
A boring film that isn't any fun. It has it's moments (very few) and will only be fun to absolute sci-fi-ish films and O.J. Simpson. Maybe not the ladder. 4/10 BAD
August 29, 2014
I can imagine conspiracy nuts going crazy over this film. It's a little overlong but it's a decently paced thriller with some good turns of the plot and entertaining dialogue, especially from Gould and Savalas.
April 29, 2014
Some of the elements I loved. There's a real tension in the first half, when the trio find out that the Mission to Mars that they've trained for is aborted and will be instead done at some top secret studio. But then in the second half, it becomes action adventurey as the astronauts try to avoid the authorities while escaping into the desert. Plus: Elliott Gould.
½ April 26, 2014
Goofy, flawed, and unbelievable. Not a good use of two hours of your time.
January 3, 2014
This film was referenced in a documentary that suggested that the moon landings were faked, and staged in a movie studio.

I'm not sure if Capricorn One stands up well today. Perhaps watch it to see O.J. Simpson playing an astronaut?
December 27, 2013
A fun thriller that could have been so much more if not for a sub par third act. That being said the concept is strong and the acting is solid enough to make this an above average sci-fi/thriller.
½ October 21, 2013
Good sci-fi conspiracy. I thought it was well paced to build the tension and all along we were left thinking if they would get away with it or not.
½ August 18, 2013
First-rate, thought provoking and exciting thriller--The Mars Hoax!!