Carla's Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carla's Song Reviews

January 5, 2019
Great film - seen as a young men - still a god story
May 22, 2018
Very intelligent movie. Carlyle's best ever performance when not in nutter mode.
March 19, 2016
18/03/16 a Scotsman falls in love with a Nicaraguan refugee and returns home with her to the violence and devastation of her country's civil war
½ October 6, 2014
A striking Ken Loah film about the emotional firefights that flare up when the personal and the political are linked.
December 13, 2012
This is a good movie, and the acting is very good. However, much of the dialogue is in Spanish, and is not translated for the viewer. This ought never to have been done, for one loses much in not understanding Spanish. If you speak Spanish you will most likely love this movie. If you don't speak Spanish, bear with it and use your imagination.
June 2, 2012
Robert Carlisle and Oyanka Cabezas work magic in this sad and funny film, what with the big London bus and the war scenes along with the humour brought in regularly, Carla's Song is a must for all Ken Loach followers.
½ March 12, 2012
A great movie from political director Ken Loach. Half fiction and half documentary, shows in a discrete manner the situation in Nicaragua in late '80s, through the three heroes, Robert Carlyle as the Scot bus driver, Oyanka Cabezas as Carla the Nicaraguan refugee and Scott Glenn as the x-CIA American activist.
All performances are superb.
Robert Carlyle who does his debut with this one along with Trainspotting same year, and now considered one of the most promising British actors, shows a great transition from having the power to completely loosing it over the course of their journey to Nicaragua, till he finally changes and accepts it. And all this in a very subtle way.
Oyanka Cabezas's performance is also unique even though she is non an actress and this is the only movie she ever played in. She is completely the opposite. She starts as totally helpless, even attempts to commit suicide, to finally become healed, stronger, and stay there to continue the revolution.
Scott Glenn's character is the deeper and most complicated one and Glenn handles that extremely well. He is angry to what he has done and he punishes himself. When he meets George, another western person, he targets his anger towards him to realize in the end that he is not the enemy but a friend and to make up with him and maybe with himself.
April 7, 2011
Poetic story of a relationship against the backdrop of the Nicaraguan revolution. There's plenty of familiar Ken Loach traits in the direction, but while this one is interesting, it is not exhilarating.
March 30, 2011
Fantastic movie! Carlyle is brilliant, as usual!
½ December 14, 2010
Le Costa Rica explique aux anglais. A son habitude, pour faire du cinema social a l etranger, Ken Loach prend un individu tout ce qu il y a de plus anglais pour l envoyer gallerer dans le pays choisit. Un peut moins reussit que l hispanique Land of Freedom, ce Carla's Song reste tout de meme un tres beau film enrichissant et plein de verites.
September 17, 2010
a film of two halves, one half set in Glasgow the other in war-torn Nicaragua. Ken Loach obviously set out to make films that would educate people as well as entertain, which is one of the things I like about his films. I sometimes think that they are a bit too cheap though, his insistance on using real people often means that some of the acting is awkward and amateurish. This film just didn't sit well with me. I thought that the first half was good and seemed to be going somewhere but after they headed off abroad, the rest was just informative and the story died.
½ March 29, 2010
I was not familiar with Ken Loach's movies,till my friend recommended me Ae fond kiss, and all I want was to see more Ken Loach's movies.I believe he has a way to make you get emotionally involved in the plots and with the characters so you could understand the social situation they were living in. The movie took a journey from a double deck bus driver in Glasgow played by Robert Carlyle, to the civil war in Nicaragua where he joined Carla to look for her former lover, who the Contras had brutalized during an ambush. Loach did a masterful job capturing the environment of many scenes, showing the view of what changes may occur in humans if given the opportunity to escape poverty.Very tragic and heavy movie, felt like a documentary.
mvieaddict
½ March 29, 2010
½ March 27, 2010
All performances are superb.
January 23, 2010
Love Robert Carlyle but was not intrigued or diverted by the story.
½ January 23, 2010
raw, honest. plot not entirely satisfying.
½ January 5, 2010
Haven't seen in in years, but what a film.
½ December 26, 2009
I don't care what kind of message a movie has if it fails to deliver it in an interesting way. There's some political message about the Contras and the U.S. blah blah blah. It's really about some whiny Scot and his little crush on a girl with hurt feelings. What a bore.
November 10, 2009
What would I do without Ken Loach's movies?
½ September 5, 2009