Carmen 3d Reviews

• Mar 20, 2011

heavily edited (missing some music). paraphrased & lazy translation of songs. altered & abbreviated spoken word. cinematography had too many close-ups, denying us viewing of entire stage. however -- great performances. loved Rice et al. I even enjoyed the 3D (tho I don't like the shadow it casts..). good idea & hope to see others. but really wish it had better (not paraphrased!!) translation & unabridged.

• Mar 07, 2011

This was entirely an exquisite experience. The singing, the acting, dance, orchestra, sound: all first rate. Go to these, opera lovers. Those who have never seen an opera, you would be amazed. Teacher, take your classes.

• Mar 06, 2011

Fantastic. Christine Rice is remarkable as Carmen. Beautifully filmed.

Fantastic. Christine Rice is remarkable as Carmen. Beautifully filmed.

• Mar 05, 2011

Even if you don't like opera, an impressive technical feat. Like wandering round the stage in the middle of a performance. Aided by great staging and believable performances. A cracking night out.

• Mar 05, 2011

Amazing experience. It really can't and shouldn't be compared to watching an opera, so anyone who says it's worse or better than an opera is wrong in my opinion to do so. As a 3D experience, this was stunning and one of those experiences that any well-cultured person must have. The acting and singing was great, I loved how they kept it in Bizet's original version, and it was just an extremely exciting and breathtaking experience.

• Feb 20, 2011

Will have the consequence of pushing ticket prices up in the direction of opera house cheap seats, and thus go some way further towards invalidating whatever reason there might be to see opera squeezed into Screen 6 of your local Odeon... All this on top of some fatal interpretative failings. Any great "Carmen" surely has to be powered by vast reserves of passion and lust for life. In this technical exercise - one that only really gets excited about content delivery for new format platforms - we're presented with the least seductive cigarette girls in living memory, topped by a Carmen (in Rice) who both looks and acts as though she failed the audition for "Loose Women": we cannot fall in love with her, which only makes absurd the affections of those characters that do. As an opera rookie, I found the whole thing tedious and offputting - which I don't think was the intended effect.

• Feb 19, 2011

why kill her? who kill her? its not Jose. it is the norm which kill Carmenita. There are many more "Carmenita" living stil; like wind - breeze when in love but hurricane when not. We cant be tamed. Utlimately it is the love of freedom which support all the Carmenita and more will be born. We are clueless, illegal, spontaneous, extreme and never static. Thus we are all AND none.

• Feb 14, 2011

Production was great but do we need 3d opera?

Production was great but do we need 3d opera?