Carry on England - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carry on England Reviews

½ March 26, 2016
The series is looking laboured and devoid of new jokes, but Windsor Davies does make a half decent job of replacing Sid James' for charisma.
July 19, 2015
Now, I love the Carry On films, but this is, by far, my least favourite. The whole film feels really awkward as there's lots of painfully drawn out dialogue with no punchlines, and equally painfully drawn out scenes that just feel like time-fillers. The film doesn't really go anywhere and the younger performers seem a little static and unable to mould into the traditional Carry On spirit, despite their best efforts. Kenneth Connor and Windsor Davis do their best but poor Joan Sims is completely wasted with only a handful of lines. The performances from the likes of Judy Geeson and some of the other younger performers feel uncomfortably forced. Just didn't make me laugh and didn't feel like a true Carry On. Very flat throughout and just pathetic. A terrible waste and made me long for the classic era of the Carry On's.
November 18, 2012
It was an ok film but not the best carry on film, it doesn't star my two favourite carry on stars Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey, it starred Patrick Mower (Emmerdale's Rodney), Joan Sims, Peter Jones and Kenneth Connor
October 25, 2012
Without most of the regular 'Carry On' cast, one would expect this offering to be a total turkey. Whilst this isn't the best in the series, it certainly isn't the worst, with a number of amusing moments and some pleasing performances.
½ March 16, 2012
And so it came to this, the 28th Carry On film, and with Sid James dead, writer Talbot Rothwell ill and Kenneth Williams either busy/not interested. Producer Peter Rogers and director Gerald Thomas decided to, pardon the pun, carry on and get some new faces and fresh blood into the series to perk things up a bit, it didn't work and it shows in this half-baked effort, which goes for wordplay and repeated gags rather than out and out smut. Set in an experimental RAF camp which mixes both sexes together, it has Captain S Melly (Kenneth Connor) taking over from Captain Bull (David Lodge) in running this ramshackle base, where there's alot of randy antics between both men and women troops in the base, which is attended to by Sergeant Major "Tiger" Bloomer (Windsor Davies). Melly is introduced to Bombadier Ready (Jack Douglas), Sergeant Tilly Willing (Judy Geeson) and Sergeant Len Able (Patrick Mower), as well as Private Jennifer Ffoukes-Sharp (Joan Sims) and Gunner Shorthouse (Melvyn Hayes). They are hopeless, but Melly and Bloomer are determined to show that this troop are ready for action when the enemy strikes, by any means necessary. It should have been a good film, but it's let down by a half-hearted script, clumsy comedy routines and a plodding story. Something like this screams to be set on a battlefield or in the skies. A wasted opportunity all round.
June 25, 2011
A late take in Carry On-series and unforntually one of worst of them.

First of all, there is very few of the traditional cast around, We get a lot of Kenneth Connor in the role as the commanding officer trying hard to get the strange battery in shape and he is in deed funny, but were are the rest?

We get a lot of snogging, making out and other fiddeling, but the story doesn't work unfornually.

Sad, with just some changes and some of the old cast twrown in to this it would have been like any other of the movies.
August 6, 2010
I pretty much love evry on of the carry on set but this one is quite disapointing
½ July 20, 2010
Another particularly weak entry in the Carry On series long after the ideas were running low on steam.
mirabella1996
½ February 10, 2010
All of the Carry On films get 4 or 5 stars from me.
They have been a much-loved part of my life ever since I can remember.
February 1, 2010
A couple of funny moments, but it's obvious by 1976 (with 27 of the films behind them and most of the cast either moved on or tragically departed) that the spark has gone and the remaining cast are treading over old jokes with none of the same irreverant energy or wit. Being a real fan of the Carry On series, I wanted to like it, but it was pretty dire from the outset I'm afraid to say.
December 19, 2009
With most of the best stars missing, it was obvious that this entry in the series wouldn't be any good. It's not terrible but that's only due to Windsor Davies and Kenneth Connor.
½ March 29, 2009
Probably containing one decent gag in the whole sorry 90 minutes. Not one of the finest in the series but then again how many of them were left in it by this point. No a once national treasure reaching the end of its shelf life.
March 17, 2009
need to see all the carry on films still.
½ February 18, 2009
a laid back army regiment is forced into the trials of war.
½ February 7, 2009
The much maligned Carry on England actually contains the germ of a good idea. It shows a mixed group of soldiers - men and women - made to suppress their sexual desires in order to join in the "war effort" and sub-textually sublimate their carnality in martial manoeuvres. In the right hands, this idea could have been an incisive and subversive satire on the mentality of militarism, an amalgamation of Kubrick's two films on a similar theme, Dr Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket. Unfortunately, the makers of this ?? the 28th Carry On film ?? didn't have the abilities to fulfil the promise of such a fierce idea. The details and characterisations in the script are lame, the direction is flat & dreary and the performers are, for the most part, completely charmless.

Most of the cast are not the regular Carry On team, and most of them shouldn't be in a Carry On. Not only are the likes of Patrick Mower and Judy Geeson profoundly unfunny, they are also curiously dislikeable here. This is unfortunate, as these are the actors playing the put-upon soldiers, whose sexuality and rebellion we should sympathise with; as it is, they are so mean-spirited and without personality that our sympathies lie with the much put-upon martinet Captain S Melly (yes, that's the level of the humour) ?? played with professionalism if not success by Carry On veteran Kenneth Connor ?? whose job it is to turn the lusty recruits into fighting machines. He is assisted by Windsor Davies, who is simply recreating his "shut up!" routine from the TV series It Ain't Half Hot Mum and almost giving himself a hernia as he strains to be funny. He gets one or two laughs, which is more than can be said for his co-star in IAHHM Melvyn Hayes, who makes little impression as the aptly named Gunner Shorthouse, or Carry Onners Jack Douglas and Joan Sims, completely wasted in thankless parts. Peter Butterworth gets the most mileage out of his comic reactions to Brigadier Peter Jones (a poor replacement for Kenneth Williams)'s bad jokes.

The was some controversy when this was first released in the UK, as it earned itself a 'AA' certificate from the BBFC, meaning that the series' largest audience, - kids - couldn't get in to see the film. The certificate was earned by a few very ribald double entendres and a lot more topless women than we usually see in a Carry On; one scene has almost the entire female section regiment with their knockers out; I say "almost" as they thankfully spared us the sight of a bare breasted Joan Sims.

Despite the fine idea underlying the comedy, Carry on England is pretty much the worst of the series, if you discount the truly execrable and barely mentionable Carry on Columbus, which England looks like Shakespeare next to.
January 28, 2009
I haven't seen this one for many years and I must say I was rather surprised as I always thought of it as a really bad film. Having seen Carry On Emmannuelle a couple of times in the interim I'd say that this (while still one of the weakest Carry Ons) is vastly superior to that film - it just looks better and feels much more like a proper Carry On with everyone appearing enthusiastic. The script is lazy and crude but at least it approximates the Carry On spirit while Max Harris manages to emulate Eric Rogers' style of score. Kenneth Connor and Windsor Davies do their very best to milk the meagre material for all its worth and it really wasn't the completist's chore I assumed it would be.
That said, still the third poorest in the series but the last two are so very much worse.
½ October 28, 2008
GOOD MOVIE WORTH WATCHING.
½ August 9, 2008
Poor Joan Sims looks embarrased and depressed by the whole thing! There just aren't any jokes in it. It feels more like a English version of Police Academy than a Carry On film.
May 26, 2008
A not very funny movie set in an army base.
May 15, 2008