Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

½ April 11, 2018
Daniel Craig burst onto the scene as James Bond in the gritty reboot Casino Royale. With the atrocity that was Die Another Day, it seemed like the 007 franchise had been destroyed. People doubted Craig, saying he didn't look the part. It didn't take long to prove them all wrong in just what might be the best action movie of the 2000s.

The character has been stripped of his gadgets, suaveness, even his prettiness, and turned into a violent, troubled brute who must use his training and dogged determination to succeed. Gone is the campiness of the Moore and Brosnan eras, or the professionalism that Connery and Dalton displayed. The film opens in black and white, reminiscent of film noir, and sets a proper tone: espionage is no longer as glamorous as it once seemed. If one wanted to get into the franchise, this would be the perfect place to start, as it is the origin story of the secret agent.

Of all the actors, Craig probably delivers the best Bond performance. He displays a level of psychopathy not seen since Sean Connery in Dr. No, but gradually becomes more humanized as the picture progresses, with various elements coming together to fully form the iconic spy we know.

The supporting cast also does a great job. Eva Green provides a complex turn as Vesper, one of only two women Bond truly falls in love throughout the whole series. Mads Mikkelsen isn't given too much to work with as Le Chifre, but it's also nice to see that the villain is humanized here too. He's not a maniac set of world domination, but a man pushed into a corner who must do what he can to survive.

The film has some fantastic set pieces such as the Madagascar parkour chase, the poker game, a certain excruciating torture scene, and the climatic fight in some crumbling Venice apartments. David Arnold's score harkens back to the work of John Barry on the early Bond films, and the underrated theme song by Chris Cornell adds to the impact.

By turning 007 into a human being and portraying him in an air of moral ambiguity, the filmmakers have made the right choice. It's a strong contender for best Bond flick of them all, and even if it's not, it's at least top three.
½ April 11, 2018
a gritty, hard-boiled incarnation of bond necessitates sacrificing the past entries' high-spirited zaniness. yet it pays off rather sensationally, nestling itself as a perceptive action-thriller unearthing 007's motives and cold demeanour. craig lacks charm but fits into the part like a second skin. overall, 'casino royale' makes challenging and penetrating cogitation the order of the day.
March 27, 2018
Everybody brings their A-game to the table in Casino Royale: A movie which, in my opinion, climaxes a little too early but is otherwise a showcase of Bond at his greatest.
March 21, 2018
Casino Royale was the first of the James Bond book series, and this movie is nearly the 25th in the movie series. Too much emphasis on violence, and long Hollywood stunt action scense, all in all pretty fake. Judi Dench as M was refreshing.
March 20, 2018
I'm sorry to say Sean Connery fans, Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond because he is more grounded and gives the movie a more serious take on the character. "Casino Royale" has great action, awesome performances from Craig, Mikkelson, Dench and Green. While Daniel Craig has had his ups and downs playing Bond. He has always been the standout of all of his outings.
½ March 14, 2018
Good, but not so well proportioned. There were some major plot holes that wouldn't have taken much covering up, but the editing was superb. A must watch for Daniel Craig fans, but a bit of a let down based on critics scores alone.
March 7, 2018
If its not the GREATEST film ever made, its definately the greatest action film ever made.
February 23, 2018
Arguably the best Bond film of all time. The narrative is well structured and the film is full of brilliant one liners. Alongside the amazing acting of Craig, Green and Mikkelson you get some brilliant action set pieces, a superb score and some amazing cinematography.
½ February 5, 2018
Finally, James Bond is a bad-ass again. Daniel Craig delivers a fresh portrayal on Ian Fleming's iconic character, and the story (although it loses its momentum at times) almost perfectly balances the exoticism with the grit. Best Bond film since the 60s!
February 3, 2018
This movie is exactly what a reboot needs to do.Daniel Craig is fantastic to this film and by far one of the best book adaptations ever made.Very excited for Bond 25!!!!
January 21, 2018
In my opinion this is the best Bond and I watched all of them.
They brilliantly introduce a new character with Daniel Craig and I really love seeing Bond stumble and fail for the first time. On the other hand they still keep the old characteristics like the giant ego and confident humour.
The story itself is not on the same page as Skyfall, but it stays interesting and partly opaque.
Daniel Craig, Eva Green, Mads Mikkelsen and the characters they brilliantly depict keep me thrilled while I get to see cool action and impressive pictures.
In the end it is not only the best bond but also the best revival of any franchise.
January 12, 2018
great performance from Daniel Craig, and the unpredictable plot twist.
January 12, 2018
Daniel Craig is my James Bond Can't wait for Bond 25
January 9, 2018
Best Bond ever, pure class...
½ January 6, 2018
(92/100)
A long, well paced, story with great storytelling and action scenes. 007 feels like 007 again.
½ January 2, 2018
Many may argue that this is the best bond film, but me personally, I would only say that it is the third best. The main reason being that it is not as much of a bond film as the majority of it's predecessors. Otherwise it might actually be my second pick for the title of best bond movie, respectively behind Goldfinger. But I must admit, that in the end, I did thoroughly enjoy the portrayal of James bond as more of a real person, and that offering what feels like a more complete and involving story is a pleasant surprise. Something that is to an extent, unfortunately lacking in the bond series. Fortunately though, for the sake of us fans, Casino Royale does utterly prove that Daniel Craig is without a shadow of a doubt, capable of qualifying as one of the best actors to have ever said, "The name's Bond. . . James Bond."
December 29, 2017
GoldenEye and now Casino Royale...why doesn't the Brocolli bunch hire Martin Campbell to do more Bond films? He clearly understands how to do a great Bond film. Once more Cambell introduces audiences to a new Bond for a new era. Daniel Craig very nicely grows into the iconic secret agent in a very different world of espionage, far removed from the cold war influences of the book in which the film is based on. Yet the film stays pretty faithful to that rugged Bond first imagined by its creator while gradually reintroducing his smoother character traits that have emerged from the long-running spy franchise.
December 20, 2017
I mean... Casino Royale is the first James Bond movie I ever saw and Daniel Craig just sold me the role completely.
December 19, 2017
Craig makes the role his own, and will make you think Sean who? Incomparable acting, drama, suspense, and an ending scene for the ages. Not only is this the best Bond film ever, it is the best film of all time.