Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

½ November 18, 2016
161117: Though watched piecemeal, Casino Royale struck me as one of the better Bond films I've seen. Once again stretching the capability of the human body, Daniel Craig's James Bond at least seemed a little more human. Vesper Lynd (Eva Green) appealed to my sensibilities and I liked some of the other characters and set locations. There is some beautiful scenery in this film but also a lot going on. It took a review of Wikipedia afterwards to comprehend all that had occurred but this is likely my weakness and may not be yours. For one of the first times, looking forward to the next Bond film and seeing how well Craig represents. Based upon my prior reviews of this historically frustrating franchise, I'm giving this film 3.5 stars.
½ November 17, 2016
Casino Royale is certainly one of the best Bond films due to the reimagining of the franchise to a quality that makes it feel genuine. The ability of appealing to classic Bond fans while still being distinctly unique makes this an evident success. Craig's Bond is exposed suspensefully through emotional and physical vulnerability that provides the character with some much needed depth. Thrilling realism at its finest.
November 13, 2016
IMO the best bond movie of all time. The action aren't stupid, the characters are great, and all that happens in the movie make some serious and enhancing plot development.
November 6, 2016
Textbook Filmmaking and the perfect James Bond film. Not only is the action and suspense absolutely spectacular but it really explores the beginnings of James Bond as a double O agent. Daniel Craig is my favourite bond. I know it's a cliche choice but he really has the perfect balance of manliness and smoothness. Mads Mikkelsen plays a great villain and Eva Green plays one of the best Bond girls ever. She is smart, sophisticated and probably the most complex bond girl since Diana Rigg in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service'. "You Know My Name - Chris Cornell" is also one of the best bond songs. It has that perfect mix of classic bond flare with a new alternative sound grounded in the 21st Century. Casino Royale is not just one of the best Bond films, it's one of the best action films ever made!
October 29, 2016
A Film That Strips Most Of The Glamour And Escapism From Bond, But Remains The Truest And Toughest Instalment Yet.
½ October 28, 2016
A new Bond for a new generation.
October 25, 2016
My name is bond , James Bond; The name is enough!
October 21, 2016
James Bond is back and he is alive and well. Any questions about Daniel Craig's worthiness are thrown out almost immediately as we are handed a film filled to the brim with exquisite action and explosive emotion. I squirmed in my seat with delight as I have not done since I was a child. What "Batman Begins" did for that franchise, "Casino Royale" does, and more, for Bond. For a while it seemed that he might not be able to well exist outside the confines of the cold war, but here we are given an entirely modern Bond with enough nods to the original that we can't be too upset. Maybe it's because this is the last novel yet to be filmed in the traditional Bond manner and it is Ian Fleming who has stolen our hearts not this incarnation of the super spy. However I like to think that someone actually just got their act together and concentrated on the film itself as opposed to who they could get the most product placement money out of. Congratulations. James Bond will live on for at least one more generation, and maybe forever. Great set pieces and one of the best chase sequences not involving cars ever put on screen, blended with beautiful locations and even more lovely women add up to the perfect cocktail with the twisting story line acting as the lemon peel in the martini, holding it all together. Many will come out saying that this is the best Bond film ever and I can not rightly say they are wrong at this point. Only time will tell that tale. However every fan can be assured that this ranks amongst the very upper crust of Bond movies, and Craig is no Lazenby. He lends a harsh wit and a thuggish charm to the character and by the end he's no longer the new guy, he is Bond, James Bond. A masterpiece of popular film-making and the movie we have been waiting for all year.
October 8, 2016
A superb entry into the Bond canon. Mikkelsen is superb.
October 3, 2016
Absolutely wonderful. Fully captured the meaning of the book.
September 15, 2016
The only good bond film Daniel Craig managed to do! Although the plot was so well written that Ben Afleck could have pulled it off. This film is by no means a success because of Daniel Craig. The rest of Daniel Craig's so call Bond appearances.... all f_cking dumb!
September 15, 2016
Best bond film. Wonderfully wrote and paced
September 10, 2016
Exciting, action-packed and tense, Casino Royale is not only one of the best James Bond films of all time but it also shows that Daniel Craig is one of the most perfect incarnations of James Bond ever created with a serious tone that's been missing in previous incarnations.
September 7, 2016
Quite possibly the best Bond movie of all time. Casino Royale has a stellar plot, blending thrilling action and intense drama perfectly, add the performance of Daniel Craig as James Bond and you have a classic. This movie perfectly shows how James Bond the man became 007 the MI6 agent, it's one of the highest points in the 007 franchise and one desperately needed after Die Another Day.
September 1, 2016
Casino Royale represents a new shape of James Bond played by Daniel Craig. The story tells us about young and fresh Bond and his first assignments in secret service. Action combined with great stunts and practical effects sets a thrilling tone and gets us an amazing performance from Daniel Craig. Overall this movie successfully delivers an atmosphere of classic Sean Connery Bond with a lot of new elements in it. It has an unrepeatable adventurous feel and brings pleasure when watching.
½ August 24, 2016
Casino Royale is probably the best James Bond movie ever made, a thrilling, suspenseful, fun action movie that shows Bond actually becoming the James Bond we all know, and him methodically fighting Le Chiffre instead of him just telling him he had his six and putting a bullet between his eyes.
August 22, 2016
This is Bond at its absolute peak. Craig has infinite suave and bravado as 007 and the film oozes sensibility and style. It's a work of art and a master of its genre. It's a movie you can watch a hundred times over and never get sick of. Casino Royale has earned its place in my Top 5 Films of All Time.
August 21, 2016
Martin Campbell's pure adrenalin, spectacular, high-octane spy thriller which goes back to the roots and shows how James Bond got his license to kill, this film introduces us to the new Bond, who is played by the astonishing Daniel Craig who gives a performance of such spellbinding scalding intensity that you'll swear he was born to play the role, he is a physical force to be reckon with those piercing blue eyes of his that burn right through the screen. He is without doubt the best Bond since the original which was unforgettably played by screen legend Sir Sean Connery. This time Bond is pitted against Le Chiffre, a evil banker to the world's terrorist organizations played memorably by Mads Mikkelsen who gives a brilliant cold-blooded performance. Le Chiffre is planning to raise money in a high-stakes poker game in Montenegro at Casino Royale. "M" played wonderfully by Dame Judi Dench who assigns 007 to play against him, knowing that if Le Chiffre loses it will cause havoc in his organization, she also assigns the beguiling Vasper Lynd, an MI-6 accountant to finance Bond's card game and keep a watchful eye on him. Vesper is beautifully played by the sexy Eva Green, who is one of the best Bond women in long time and is also one of the most intelligent, her chemistry with Bond is both moving and genuine. Exceptional direction by Martin Campbell and utterly exceptional supporting performances by Jerry Wright, Giancarlo Giannini, Caterina Murino, Simon Abkarian and Isaach De Bankole. Terrific action sequences with seamless stunts that are truly breathtaking, with Craig doing most of them himself. Phil Meheux's cinematography is totally stunning. A lean, mean, sophisticated thrill-ride that is not to be miss! Highly Recommended.
August 16, 2016
This is what makes a great franchise film; it's the start of something totally new that nobody has yet seen, even though the franchise itself is over 40 years old. It's a powerful film, more than a Bond-formula exercise. I consider this the best directed Bond film, yet it's the toughest to revisit because of the hard emotions is plays on.

Bond film or not, this is some excellent cinema. I have three criticisms, which aren't enough to deter my rating. First, the noir opening was vague and unnecessarily black and white. I thought it should've been longer, given us more context, and something a little smarter than a man reaching for a gun whose bullets have been taken. It's only there to establish that Bond get his two kills to become a 00 agent, then does nothing for the rest of the film. It serves character development, not story, which is somewhat forgivable. My second complaint is the epic free-run chase. It's grand, it's one of the best action chase scenes ever put to film, and yet the story of it is extremely confusing and outright dumb. If Bond ends up shooting him, why go through all that? The results of it were pointless. Lastly, the confusion of Mathis in the latter half of the film. I understand that Le Chifre is being tricky, spurring an already paranoid Bond into confusion, but it kind of loses me along the way. How Mathis is ultimately taken care of, getting zapped at Bond's retreat, is awkward and unsatisfying. We won't understand much until the sequel.

On the point of humor in Bond. Something sprung to mind when I remembered that Sam Mendes called for a rewrite of SPECTRE because it needed more 'humor.' That's a dangerous thing to ask for, and I think SPECTRE kind of failed at it. What is humor? Bond movies have a lot of throwaway, one-time laugh bits, I won't call them jokes. In the Craig series, these are painfully dry bits of 'hmph' reactions that aren't really funny. Moore films were laugh out loud campy, perhaps a bit too much at times. Connery's charm and wit laid over the pace at which his stories moved made for perfect humor. I think Casino is the only film that works with humor because of the established overhead, something the followups all fail to have. There's inherent humor in a dangerous person becoming a 00, battling the system and his own demons. Situation, setup makes lasting humor. In SPECTRE, it's things like falling on a couch, Bond calling himself Mickey Mouse, or pretending he's in control when captive at Blofeld's lair. The latter might be the most effective. I guess the problem is that I see it too clearly, I see the throwaways coming as a result of a humor-drive rewrite, and it seems like lazy writing. Where can we be funny and add something in? Rather than changing the context from a higher level. The laugh bits in Skyfall are the most brutal, just useless one-liners that are reaching for nothing. I don't see that Casino has to work as hard for it. Even when he says something like, "that's because you know what I can do with my little finger," it's all coming from the context of immaturity; the film is about failing as a 00 because of this cocky, boyhood hero-complex. It's an unsuccessful mission with a few battles won, which is really different for any movie like this. And he's falling into a trap, the style of the filmmaking at this point drastically changes - we almost forget it's a Bond adventure, it feels like an indy romance. It does a good job at getting us lost here for awhile. The result is something lasting.

This film is a solid setup for a new franchise, one that will ultimately deal with consequences in each chapter, unlike any Bond series before it. It has that 'end-is-beginning' element, setting up Mr. White as the person who will unfold more details behind a grand conspiracy over the next several chapters, and leaving us with a line that usually comes much earlier: "the name is Bond, James Bond." Sequel setups usually suck, but because the focus is so deep on Le Chifre and his operation, and because that story is entirely dealt with, nothing is left unsatisfying.