Cat Ballou - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cat Ballou Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
Winning Lee Marvin the Academy Award for Best Actor, Cat Ballou sounded like a western classic.

Uncertain of what kind of Western to expect from Cat Ballou, the instant the Columbia Pictures logo turned into a gun-toting animation of Cat Ballou and the film kicked off with a jonty tune, I knew I was in for some kind of comedic venture Recognized as one of the first major western comedy films, Cat Ballou draws innovative credibility from its lighthearted nature and the presence of a female protagonist, even though the screen is stolen by Lee Marvin. Following the familiar story of war over ownership of land, Cat Ballou takes viewers on a journey through many familiar western plot points in a combination of comedy and drama. But even though Cat Ballou parodies western archetypes, it still finds itself succumbing to relying on the same plot structure it parodies and therefore has to embrace many of the dramatic plot dynamics that come with it. The story is mainly a parody of Shane (1953) with a much more comic oriented tone, but the jokes seem to drop in and out at random times. If Cat Ballou isn't joking about the western genre, its getting too caught up in taking itself seriously to grasp the innovation that it clearly aspires to. The limited number of stylish moments in Cat Ballou may have been far more refreshing back in the day of its original release, but by today's standards it seems like Cat Ballou hasn't survived the battle of age well enough to stand up any more. I'm not saying that it's a bad film, it's just not the western masterpiece I was expecting. Frankly, the main problem is the fact that the story takes itself too seriously and goes in all kinds of directions in an attempt to be both a western comedy and a character piece. Alas, it never chooses a consistent path and then just it finally begins to settle in on something the film is suddenly over and leaves a questionable feeling on audiences. By the end of it I hardly knew how I felt about Cat Ballou, but I largely got the impression that I was waiting for something which never ended up happening.
Even though Cat Ballou adheres to many familiar western plot points, its intentions to divert them into a comic narrative leads it to leave certain things out. Unfortunately, among them is all that much of an action spectacle. The stylistic value of Cat Ballou is sourced from the slapstick gags which prove to be gleefully comedic when they decide to grace the screen, but they prove to be very sporadic in actuality as the charms of the actors are given greater reliance to supply the laughter. As much as they help, the general style of Cat Ballou is not utilized enough to provide consistent laughs in this day and age. There is no denying the colourful appeal that comes with the extensive production and costume designs as well as the fact that it is all captured with steady cinematography, but altogether it is never sufficiently utilized to make use of the spending behind Cat Ballou and that is simply a real shame.
However, the musical score in Cat Ballou is definitely brilliant. Rather than the typical sweeping western style, Cat Ballou makes use of lighthearted country themes largely dominated by the use of a Banjo which keeps the experience easy-going. The musical talents of Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye are delightful as is the enjoyable way they sing directly to the audience. Their supporting effort in Cat Ballou is an essential part of the fun.
Above all, the cast of Cat Ballou is the main reason to see the film in the first place.
Lee Marvin's Academy Award winning lead performance is certainly a charming effort. Though Cat Ballou strangely oscillates between the comedy and drama themes, Lee Marvin's gruff nature manages to succeed in crafting both a legitimate cowboy of vigilance and a parody of one at the same time. Instead of commanding the other characters he just lets loose and stumbles across the set which is a distinctive contrast to what you would expect from a man like him. This ensures that he is easily capable of varying between the more serious moments of the film and its overall comic tone at the same time, keeping up with its odd mood changes and capitalizing on them as a chance to show off his versatility as an actor. Going from a goofball one minute to a fearless gunslinger the next, Lee Marvin is able to use his natural persona to capture a cowboy feeling every second he is on screen. Regardless of which state of mind he is in or which of the two characters he is playing, Lee Marvin manages to bring sufficient charm and dramatic strength to the role with some comic undertones that highlight him as the best aspect of the film, and its a strong boost to his ever growing credibility.
Jane Fonda makes a strong lead in the titular role. Catherine "Cat" Ballou has elements of a silly blonde stereotype to her, but she has a deep burning dramatic passion in pursuit of justice without going overboard. This capitalizes on Jane Fonda's intrinsic spirit and status as an anti-establishment iconoclast, and her dramatic spirit is dedicated yet light enough not to hit viewers over the head with a political agenda. Jane Fonda has the charismatic passion to be a powerful leading cowgirl yet the genuine humanity to carry the role with human emotion and vulnerability, making it a spectacle for her many talents as an actress. Jane Fonda takes on the most commanding role of Cat Ballou with intrinsic passion.
Tom Nardini also remains memorable, maintaining the looks of a young Charles Bronson and a lighthearted likable spirit.

Cat Ballou gains a lot of credibility from the powerful leading performances of Lee Marvin and Jane Fonda, but its inability to settle on being a legitimate western film or a parody of one leaves it as an odd hybrid of comedy and drama without much of a spectacle to anchor it.
February 1, 2016
One of my favorite films ever. Great scenery (Colorado), great music (Nat King Cole), and funny as all get out (Lee Marvin surprised everybody with his sidesplitting drunk and his even funnier horse), plus Jane Fonda at her hubba-hubba cutest. A 60's classic...
September 24, 2015
Suprise hit in '65. Good script, acting, and pacey direction make for success.
The duo of the great Nat King Cole, and the great Stubby Kaye as wandering
minstrels tie it all together.
June 2, 2015
A lively romp. I enjoyed it back in the 1970s in my teens and I still do today.
½ April 6, 2015
"Cat Ballou" follows the story of Catherine "Cat" Ballou in the old west as she turns from her training as a school teacher to become an outlaw. The film incorporates many of the clichés of westerns including a corrupt sheriff that fails to prevent illegal activities and typical revenge story, but succeeds by taking a humorous approach to the material.

Jane Fonda leads the cast with a solid performance as Cat Ballou. Lee Marvin is famous for playing two roles in this movie, that of Kid Shelleen, a hired gunslinger, and Tim Strawn, the film's chief villain. His performance as Kid Shelleen is the more notable of the two since it gets a lot more screen time. Lee Marvin gives a skilled and hilarious performance in the role. The supporting cast was notable, particularly Tom Nardini, who had some memorable lines as Jackson (particularly when he corrects Cat's grammar), John Marley as Cat's father Frank and Michael Callan as Clay Boone.

The film's story is well-placed with consistent humor punctuated with some dramatic moments. Also notable is the inclusion of intermittent segments of catchy banjo music and songs performed by Nat King Cole and Stubby Kale. The best of these performances was the song "The Ballad of Cat Ballou" that introduces the film. "Cat Ballou" is a Great version of the typical western story.
½ March 30, 2015
My favorite western.
March 30, 2015
Fun film with a great performance from Jane Fonda. Don't know how Lee Marvin A. Won an Oscar for this B. Considered the Lead. Great song "The Ballad of Cat Ballou"
March 29, 2015
Dated but entertaining Western spoof. Lee Marvin steels the show.
½ November 12, 2014
The movie is delightfully colourful and has some charming music, but really what you came here for was Jane Fonda and Lee Marvin. Fonda is unbelievably adorable, but that's about all that can be said about her. Marvin, on the other hand, is simply great in a performance that won him an Oscar.
November 7, 2014
As a comedy, Cat Ballou is average where you merely laugh once or twice, but the most memorable thing about it is Lee Marvin's double performance as a good guy/bad guy and Jane Fonda's charming beauty.
October 5, 2014
A fun, unique western flick that'd turned some tables of the genre with some funny parts and a nice performance by Jane Fonda. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 22, 2014
I am shocked that people actually enjoy this. It is considered Jane Fonda's breakthrough and Lee Marvin won an Oscar for his two roles, but don't ask me how or why. I found it really boring and the "The Ballad of Cat Ballou" really wears on you. It didn't have the spirit of a Western and it was an unfunny attempt at a spoof. (First and only viewing - 8/10/2014)
August 2, 2014
Watched this again tonite on cable. I first saw it at the Heart Drive-in in Kansas City back in 1965. It was so good my date and I watched the entire movie. It is still a funny, funny brilliant film.
½ August 1, 2014
didn't like this at all
June 2, 2014
Marvin charms in this pretty funny western
½ March 10, 2014
fun show but a little over my 5 and 7 year olds' heads
October 30, 2013
One of Ms. Fonda's and Mr. Marvin's best performances - with N. King Cole as well. This western comedy gives a nod to other genres as well. Some of the plot twists may be generic, but done with style and abandon. Exceptional acting, script, direction, & cinematography.
½ September 18, 2013
???? ??????????? Lee Marvin...
½ September 15, 2013
This is the first of a group of Western Comedies made in the 1960's and 1970's that eventually brought to an end the era of Western movies. It was followed by James Garner's "Support Your Local Sheriff" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter", then Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles". These are all extremely funny movies. I first saw Cat Ballou on Television when I was in High School. Latter when I was in college the girls in Willard Hall at Oklahoma State rented the film to show in the dorm. This was just before VHS tapes came on the market. The movie was made in 1964 and starred Jane Fonda. This was before the Vietnam War got big and before Jane Fonda got political. She was young and good looking. Lee Marvin played a drunken gunfighter and won the 1965 Oscar for best actor. The horse he was riding deserved an honorable mention for helping him win. Most of the movie was filmed in Canyon City, Colorado. When my family took a trip to Colorado to see my relatives in Colorado Springs we went through Canyon City. They still had signs up telling the tourist how to find the sites around the town where they filmed the train robbery scenes.