Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) Reviews

November 26, 2016
Binoche and Shimell keep us fully engaged with their characters throughout their conversations, and Kiarostami draws us in with his signature mixture of long takes and intimate close-ups.
August 16, 2016
A narrativa pouco 'convencional', a criatividade do texto e o ótimo desempenho da dupla de atores são atributos marcantes que fazem de Cópia Fiel um filme ousado e admirável, mesmo que enfadonho em alguns momentos.
½ July 16, 2016
Interesting intelliectual concept and unique but I'm not sure it quite works plot wise. Great acting, and beautiful scenery.
½ July 13, 2016
A brilliant drama that begins with a realistic approach but then suddenly shifts to a more surrealistic tone after halfway through, becoming so emotionally involving and raising a fascinating discussion about our perception of the value of Art - original or not.
February 3, 2016
Certified Copy is a graceful and often sweet meditation about relationships that captivates all but the most conventional filmgoers - delivering a career best performance from a sublime Juliette Binoche.
Robert B.
September 28, 2015
Certified Copy is cynical and postmodern and may be true to the reality of some. The style of the performance is a kind of anguished improv (which is certainly different). But the product is not very true to the trailer, and those wanting to watch a positive and romantic film may find Certified Copy disappointing. I would have classed it as a drama, and may have enjoyed it more if I had different expectations, but did not dislike it.
September 5, 2015
Too improvising in style.
½ July 27, 2015
Binoche is exceptional in this fanciful, talky Kiarostami film.
½ April 14, 2015
Shockingly overrated
½ April 10, 2015
A near flawless film.
½ April 8, 2015
Meticulously crafted to create a sense of personality and life that is unarguably rare in modern cinema. Outstanding performances from its reserved cast and real-time location shooting makes this film feel like we are physically watching the characters' day unfold, and with it, the premise unfolds as well. Masterful work in all directions.
½ March 11, 2015
Slican "Before" trilogiji i bas kao i tamo, strpljivost nenadano biva nagradjena.
½ March 8, 2015
La genialidad son las muchas lecturas que puede tener este film.
March 2, 2015
I'm sure there's something about this movie that I'm missing, but this one just felt like a less interesting, more pretentious version of Linklater's Before series. Binoche is great as always, but I just really couldn't connect with most of what was going on. I'm clearly in the minority here, so maybe I should watch it again sometime.
February 23, 2015
Well acted drama with a mid-film change up that was hard for me to accept. Repeat viewings might be necessary.
½ January 28, 2015
A failed attempt at imitating Before Sunrise.
½ November 15, 2014
I wanted to love this one, some strong writing and great performance by Binoche, but it's also somewhat talky and pretentious. The lead male character was also super annoying and pulled me out of the story. Still, watch and judge for yourself, nice alternative to the big Hollywood blockbusters!
November 13, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Certified Copy was a film that I found too difficult to review during my initial viewing, as its ideas were so complex and ambiguous that I actually needed a couple of months in contemplation, just to get a sort of grasp on what I just experienced. Though in saying all of that, I was entertained with what I saw, fuelled by the chemistry and performances by its two leading cast members and leaving with an open ending that would urge one to come back and go through their journey all over again.

The film overall is about perception. Is what we are seeing authentic or is it just a copy of something else, and does it even matter if the end result is still the same? Is their relationship seen as important and powerful, just because we are seeing it in a respected medium and handled by a respected director? The film asks daring and thought provoking questions, but it never gives away the answers. Abbas Kiarostami inserts ideologies and symbolism throughout the film, but they only act as a guide for the audience, and overall it still relies on the perception on the viewer. Many people can see the characters playing pretend, applying transference of their own personal history into the relationship, but possessing and conveying genuine emotions. Some may see the film as a complete Meta and Kiarostami simply pushing his ideas of the relationship between cinema or art and the perception of its audience; is this film about love any different from the others that follow the same journey as these two characters had. I was more in tuned with the latter, finding more the metaphorical meaning behind this simple yet also complex relationship; stirring our minds, especially in regards to the Coca Cola idea that was brought up early in the film.

The performances in this film were outstanding, developing that strong chemistry between its two leads, making the slow transition feel natural, especially in its emotions. The film only runs for an hour and 46 minutes, but it never felt draggy even with its lack of incidence; the film is comprised mainly of chatter back and forth between the two characters, some parts were natural and emotional while others were more concerned on the larger aspects of life and love, showing conflicts in perspectives between the two individuals. Sometimes when dialogue drags itself on for too long, I could get restless and distracted, but Kiarostami and co-writer Caroline Eliacheff have provided conversations that were so entertaining and intriguing to listen to; especially during their meal in the latter half of the film, where the tension is elevated but accompanying it with truth rather than melodrama.

I doubt any of what I said earlier made any sense, as you can see I am still trying to grasp and contain the film within my hands. Certified Copy is no doubt Abbas Kiarostami's most ambitious but also his most affecting work.