Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

½ January 18, 2018
As a fan of the book, I really enjoyed this movie as it was much closer to the original story than the one starring Gene Wilder. I felt the casting was better and how you saw what happened to the kids when they left the factory. I think this would have a much better score if people weren't too busy trying to compare it to the first movie.
½ December 26, 2017
Bad performance by Depp. The music was awful. CGI was overdone. Enjoyable for children.
December 26, 2017
Very creative:) Much better than the old version.
December 11, 2017
I like the movie because it's sad and I really like the ending
½ December 3, 2017
Very weird but good hearted and well acted
November 20, 2017
It was like a chocolate bar first few bites are good but it gets bland real fast. Once you took the shiny production rapper off there wasn't much going on
November 12, 2017
Ok, so when this movie first came out on 2005, I was only 13, I was very excited to watch this, just because I was a fan of the 1971 Gene Wilder film. I didn't even know Tim Burton directed this, nor that Johnny Depp was going to be Willy Wonka. One day a friend of mine phoned me on a Saturday morning and said that he was inviting me to watch the movie with a couple of other friends in the night at it's arrival, I quickly said yes. At the entrance of the movie theater they were giving free Wonka Bars and a couple of other stuff. We bought a lot of candy and a whole lot of shit. We were all crazy for this movie to start. It started with that creepy and dark Danny Elfman tune, then, I started having second thoughts about the movie. Of course I was right, things were getting very mysterious at the beginning, but just as I was starting to enjoy the film and get more into it, Johnny Depp arrives at the scene and totally ruined it for me. I like Johnny Depp and all, but HE? WILLY WONKA? The scenery was very good but I noticed that they tried too hard to make this film colorful, magical, and strange which was a bit disappointing. The Oompa Loompas could have been made better. And it started to get very annoying with the flashbacks that Wonka was having. The music was terrible, the actors were a bit good... when the movie finished, we all came out of the theater, and didn't talked until sunday morning talking about how shitty the movie was. Years later I realize this movie needed a chance, so I decided to watch it again, it was good, liked it more than before. All I want to say now is that no one, I mean NO ONE can beat Gene Wilder, HE is Willy Wonka!
November 12, 2017
Tim Burton made a good movie that is a classic and such a silly movie I thought Johnny Depp did a good job in this movie! So it's a good remake of the 1970 the songs where good and it is a good Comedy you will laugh away I know I do! I remember reading the book to this movie and it's the same as the movie. My favorite line in the movie is (Daddy I want a squirrel)

This remake of Charlie and the chocolate factory
Is better then the 1970 movie. 1970 was just ok
October 30, 2017
It's the best movie!
October 14, 2017
It's a fun tasty treat for all! Okay, it might not beat the first, but it's loads of family fun for everybody. Really enjoyed, Depp's Wonka is outstanding.
October 13, 2017
Depp, whose Wonka seems to be a cross between Michael Jackson and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari's somnambulist Cesare, delivers an engaging surface performance Wish their the movie Could be a Part 2 Then It'll Be Amazing Movies of all time of course!
September 27, 2017
Meh, kind of bland and just odd
September 19, 2017
An absolutely wonderful movie packed with adventure
September 17, 2017
A second best for Depp. The original with Gene Wilder is a much better movie
September 12, 2017
Not as good as the original!
½ September 7, 2017
Tim Burton will always be one of the greatest director's ever, but this remake just didn't cut it for me. Cast was great, but it was way too juiced, it didnt suck you in like the original. I have watched it a few times since the release and the film does not get any better.
September 6, 2017
I remember seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on TV when I was 10 years old. Not really giving a crap about the Gene Wilder movie at the time, I was enthralled by what it had to offer, sparking my interest in Tim Burton for the first time despite having previously seen his version of Alice in Wonderland. And it also made me want to read Roald Dahl's books and I read most, if not all, of his children's books. Looking back on this movie now, I still don't think it's, by any means, terrible. People are just blinded by nostalgia and I think they were expecting a remake of the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I admit its not a true classic unlike its 1971 counterpart and the Oompa Loompa songs are fun albeit forgettable. Johnny Depp's no Wilder either. However, I still like this film thanks to Tim Burton's trademark stunning visuals, increased faithfulness to its source material compared to the classic movie that Dahl hated, Danny Elfman's score and dark tone. Come on, people, I hear dark Chocolate has half a dozen + 1 healthy benefits. Freddie Highmore is cute playing Charlie. Whatever happened to him? Famous child actors such as Highmore and Dakota Fanning never appear on the big screen anymore. If the Chocolate Factory were an amusement park, then I'd be more than willing to pay the price of admission. The Glass Elevator looks awesome. So yeah. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory may not have the charm of the 1971 classic but its visuals, score and Burton's "Pure Imagination" make it an entertaining diversion for anyone who enjoys dark Chocolate and are more into stories that are faithful to their source material.
August 25, 2017
Tim Burton isn't a very good director, he cares more about visuals and eccentric characters as demonstrated back in Mars Attacks and the 2001 Planet of the Apes remake. I understand that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to do things differently than from the 1971 classic but on the other hand this movie was almost the exact same as the book.
½ August 16, 2017
Tim Burton, how dare you.
August 10, 2017
It's upbeat music and brilliant costumes and humor is a marvel to watch.