Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
Tim Burton, how dare you.
August 10, 2017
It's upbeat music and brilliant costumes and humor is a marvel to watch.
½ August 10, 2017
One of the rare scenarios where the reboot is better than the original.
August 7, 2017
I want to see it, but am afraid it will ruin the original for me!
August 1, 2017
A faithful adaptation of the novel, but a mostly soulless one.
½ July 24, 2017
I understand that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to do things differently than from the 1971 classic but on the other hand this movie was almost the exact same as the book, the new songs are still catchy and visual effects are pure eye "Candy".
July 23, 2017
i like this. movie.
July 20, 2017
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was a really interesting film to re-watch, because only when your an adult does the creepiness really stand out. No film makes two audiences feel quite so different as Charlie & the Chocolate Factory does: magical for kids, downright weird for adults. And that's how Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is supposed to be; it's the best part about the film. It features great character arcs. The acting in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is fantastic; Johnny Depp's portrayal of Wonka is spot on for those familiar with the book. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is odd, but it's very good. You find yourself cascading down the chocolate river before you know it.
½ July 17, 2017
A stupid and unnecessary remake of the original. The über cringe was painful.
July 14, 2017
It's full of visual thrills, quirky humor and reaches for heart, but its attempt at extending Dahl's story to make a more three-dimensional Willy Wonka falls a little flat, and Johnny Depp gives one of his most wild and random performances, that's rather hit-or-miss.
July 9, 2017
Loved it so much. The bad kids are the best.
½ July 4, 2017
Poorly acted and poorly scripted, without any of the charm of the book or Gene Wilder movie. Johnny Depp is written as an infantile, manipulative, meanie rather than a zany inventor with any depth. The supporting characters have a lot of trouble with their accents and. Other than the main character are really poorly done one off jokes. The dentist backstory is unnecessary and tries to add pop psychology where it doesn't help the story or provide interest or effect.its sort of pretty if you like shiny plastic. Don't waste your time or money.
June 15, 2017
It's not really my style of movie, but I'm sure a lot of people like it. The ending was too abrupt, and it never really felt like anything was actually happening, like everything was leading up to something big, but then it just ends. You are left feeling unfulfilled.
June 14, 2017
I'll always have a soft spot for this movie
½ June 1, 2017
Failing to live up to the magic of the 1971 film, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory doesn't engage or entertain as Willy Wonka should.
May 31, 2017
I'm just going to say it. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not only my favorite Tim Burton movie, not only do I think it's even better than the original, but I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made. Not only is Willy Wonka more fleshed out as a character, but it's also one of the most gorgeous movies ever made. Every set is dripping with deliciousness and creativity. It's one trippy ride I'll never forget.

10/10
May 25, 2017
Only one word to describe the movie-Delicious
½ May 25, 2017
I LOVE IT ...............................................
May 6, 2017
A silly movie that I liked a lot and you can watch it with family
May 6, 2017
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't a terrible film. It has bad qualities, but it has good ones as well. Burton's vision ruins the tone of the film, but it's undeniably fun to watch. The screenplay for the rest of the actors isn't terrible, but Burton tries too hard to make the film darker and appealing to the adults in the audience and forgets all about what the main market is: the kids. And I don't know what the screenwriters were thinking when they wrote Johnny Depp's lines, but they failed miserably at whatever they were trying to accomplish. The story is closer to the source material than the 1971 adaptation of the novel. Thanks to that, the film isn't a complete misstep.