Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

September 19, 2017
An absolutely wonderful movie packed with adventure
September 17, 2017
A second best for Depp. The original with Gene Wilder is a much better movie
September 12, 2017
Not as good as the original!
½ September 7, 2017
Tim Burton will always be one of the greatest director's ever, but this remake just didn't cut it for me. Cast was great, but it was way too juiced, it didnt suck you in like the original. I have watched it a few times since the release and the film does not get any better.
September 6, 2017
I remember seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on TV when I was 10 years old. Not really giving a crap about the Gene Wilder movie at the time, I was enthralled by what it had to offer, sparking my interest in Tim Burton for the first time despite having previously seen his version of Alice in Wonderland. And it also made me want to read Roald Dahl's books and I read most, if not all, of his children's books. Looking back on this movie now, I still don't think it's, by any means, terrible. People are just blinded by nostalgia and I think they were expecting a remake of the Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. I admit its not a true classic unlike its 1971 counterpart and the Oompa Loompa songs are fun albeit forgettable. Johnny Depp's no Wilder either. However, I still like this film thanks to Tim Burton's trademark stunning visuals, increased faithfulness to its source material compared to the classic movie that Dahl hated, Danny Elfman's score and dark tone. Come on, people, I hear dark Chocolate has half a dozen + 1 healthy benefits. Freddie Highmore is cute playing Charlie. Whatever happened to him? Famous child actors such as Highmore and Dakota Fanning never appear on the big screen anymore. If the Chocolate Factory were an amusement park, then I'd be more than willing to pay the price of admission. The Glass Elevator looks awesome. So yeah. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory may not have the charm of the 1971 classic but its visuals, score and Burton's "Pure Imagination" make it an entertaining diversion for anyone who enjoys dark Chocolate and are more into stories that are faithful to their source material.
September 2, 2017
Tim Burton made a good movie that is a classic and such a silly movie I thought Johnny Depp did a good job in this movie! So it's a good remake the songs where good and it is a good Comedy you will laugh away I know I do!
August 25, 2017
Tim Burton isn't a very good director, he cares more about visuals and eccentric characters as demonstrated back in Mars Attacks and the 2001 Planet of the Apes remake. I understand that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to do things differently than from the 1971 classic but on the other hand this movie was almost the exact same as the book.
½ August 16, 2017
Tim Burton, how dare you.
August 10, 2017
It's upbeat music and brilliant costumes and humor is a marvel to watch.
½ August 10, 2017
One of the rare scenarios where the reboot is better than the original.
August 7, 2017
I want to see it, but am afraid it will ruin the original for me!
August 1, 2017
A faithful adaptation of the novel, but a mostly soulless one.
July 23, 2017
i like this. movie.
July 20, 2017
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was a really interesting film to re-watch, because only when your an adult does the creepiness really stand out. No film makes two audiences feel quite so different as Charlie & the Chocolate Factory does: magical for kids, downright weird for adults. And that's how Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is supposed to be; it's the best part about the film. It features great character arcs. The acting in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is fantastic; Johnny Depp's portrayal of Wonka is spot on for those familiar with the book. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is odd, but it's very good. You find yourself cascading down the chocolate river before you know it.
½ July 17, 2017
A stupid and unnecessary remake of the original. The über cringe was painful.
July 14, 2017
It's full of visual thrills, quirky humor and reaches for heart, but its attempt at extending Dahl's story to make a more three-dimensional Willy Wonka falls a little flat, and Johnny Depp gives one of his most wild and random performances, that's rather hit-or-miss.
July 9, 2017
Loved it so much. The bad kids are the best.
½ July 4, 2017
Poorly acted and poorly scripted, without any of the charm of the book or Gene Wilder movie. Johnny Depp is written as an infantile, manipulative, meanie rather than a zany inventor with any depth. The supporting characters have a lot of trouble with their accents and. Other than the main character are really poorly done one off jokes. The dentist backstory is unnecessary and tries to add pop psychology where it doesn't help the story or provide interest or effect.its sort of pretty if you like shiny plastic. Don't waste your time or money.
June 15, 2017
It's not really my style of movie, but I'm sure a lot of people like it. The ending was too abrupt, and it never really felt like anything was actually happening, like everything was leading up to something big, but then it just ends. You are left feeling unfulfilled.
June 14, 2017
I'll always have a soft spot for this movie