Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

May 12, 2018
So many people love the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. So when it comes to this one, I understand why many are not a fan of it. I don't find this movie better or worse than the original, this just has a different tone and a different take on compared to the other one and thats fine with me, because it's really a retelling of the book and not a retelling of the first movie. It's clear that Tim Burton understands the source material, and some things are not perfect, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a very faithful adaption to the beloved book with a interesting take and visually creative. I would say, look at this movie again with a different perspective. Don't look it as a retelling of the original movie, look at it as a faithful adaptation to the book that you probably loved as a child. The hardest thing to get through will probably be Johnny Depp's performance as Willy Wonka.
May 5, 2018
In my personal opinion, an improvement on the first movie, giving us an entertaining and fun film, while sustaining suspense and drama through the entire movie, giving us a unique and different look into the chocolate factory, revielling it's dark wonders. It all comes down to Depp wonderfull permonance and Tim Burton. A movie I could gladly watch over and over again.
April 4, 2018
It's one couldn't and shouldn't compare to the first adaptation as Tim Burton provides his own wit and charm along with Johnny Depp's quirky Willy Wonka in what I consider to be a successfully dark and unique adaptation of the book.
½ April 1, 2018
The movie is filled with all kinds of hatred, stereo typing and violence!! I still can't understand who is the target audience of this!
michael e.
March 29, 2018
I've admitted that "Willy wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is one of my top 20 favorite films, so when I heard they were going to remake it, I got a bit skeptic, but I still saw it anyway, and overall, it was okay, its nowhere near classic, and Tim Burton has made much better films than this, but its a decent film overall. The acting is okay, the songs are catchy as hell and very creative, and the plot follows the book a bit closer.
March 26, 2018
A darker, more intelligent film than the original but not as fun.
March 14, 2018
I've grown up in a time where it was an unspoken tradition to have watched the original movie adaptation of Dahl's classic story at least once a year, if not more, and fell in love with Gene Wilder's portrayal of Willy Wonka. As a fan of both Roald Dahl and his original story, Tim Burton's interpretation supersedes Mel Stuart's and the powers that be's screenplay. Tim Burton's surreal vision of the story fits perfectly with Roald Dahl's otherworldly story telling. Johnny Depp also delivers one of his best performances that is shadowed by viewers' perspective of nostalgia. I feel this version and every performance in it mirrors closer to the book than the original's whimsical incarnation.
February 23, 2018
The claim is that this version follows the book more closely. Maybe that's accurate concerning the storyline, but hardly in spirit. The nasty and overbearing children, who are sent off one-by-one to their earned punishments, appear unscathed and no worse for wear. In other words, no lessons learned and no redemptive value.

Certainly, this version has all the bells and whistles, but these cinematic delights cannot make up for the lack of mystic that sweeps viewers into the chocolate factory in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. That is where Tim Burton's version comes up miles short.

Lest we forget Johnny Depp (who is adored by critics for playing oddball roles), I would say this version of Wonka is a bust. Gene Wilder's Wonka, makes us want to be at the factory. There is excitement around every corner because Wonka makes us believe.

Watch the original. It's probably cheaper anyway.
½ February 5, 2018
Creepy.Willy Wonka is wonky.
½ January 28, 2018
Tim Burton has a heart of cardboard - can his friend Johnny Depp save him in this "dark" children's remake about consumerism? Dunno bro, ask Batman!! That sucked too, especially in the "plot" department. This movie is worth seeing for some attractive set design, ostentatious costumes and Danny Elfmans energetic, whimsical-yet-gothic musical approach. Parts of this film break down in to MTV style music video montage, which is another sign of how shallow and distracting Burton is as a creative force, and storyteller. He has made some SOME great films, but this is like half of one, in a sense. I enjoyed the CG furry animals though!
½ January 18, 2018
As a fan of the book, I really enjoyed this movie as it was much closer to the original story than the one starring Gene Wilder. I felt the casting was better and how you saw what happened to the kids when they left the factory. I think this would have a much better score if people weren't too busy trying to compare it to the first movie.
½ December 26, 2017
Bad performance by Depp. The music was awful. CGI was overdone. Enjoyable for children.
December 26, 2017
Very creative:) Much better than the old version.
December 11, 2017
I like the movie because it's sad and I really like the ending
½ December 3, 2017
Very weird but good hearted and well acted
November 20, 2017
It was like a chocolate bar first few bites are good but it gets bland real fast. Once you took the shiny production rapper off there wasn't much going on
November 12, 2017
Ok, so when this movie first came out on 2005, I was only 13, I was very excited to watch this, just because I was a fan of the 1971 Gene Wilder film. I didn't even know Tim Burton directed this, nor that Johnny Depp was going to be Willy Wonka. One day a friend of mine phoned me on a Saturday morning and said that he was inviting me to watch the movie with a couple of other friends in the night at it's arrival, I quickly said yes. At the entrance of the movie theater they were giving free Wonka Bars and a couple of other stuff. We bought a lot of candy and a whole lot of shit. We were all crazy for this movie to start. It started with that creepy and dark Danny Elfman tune, then, I started having second thoughts about the movie. Of course I was right, things were getting very mysterious at the beginning, but just as I was starting to enjoy the film and get more into it, Johnny Depp arrives at the scene and totally ruined it for me. I like Johnny Depp and all, but HE? WILLY WONKA? The scenery was very good but I noticed that they tried too hard to make this film colorful, magical, and strange which was a bit disappointing. The Oompa Loompas could have been made better. And it started to get very annoying with the flashbacks that Wonka was having. The music was terrible, the actors were a bit good... when the movie finished, we all came out of the theater, and didn't talked until sunday morning talking about how shitty the movie was. Years later I realize this movie needed a chance, so I decided to watch it again, it was good, liked it more than before. All I want to say now is that no one, I mean NO ONE can beat Gene Wilder, HE is Willy Wonka!
November 12, 2017
Tim Burton made a good movie that is a classic and such a silly movie I thought Johnny Depp did a good job in this movie! So it's a good remake of the 1970 the songs where good and it is a good Comedy you will laugh away I know I do! I remember reading the book to this movie and it's the same as the movie. My favorite line in the movie is (Daddy I want a squirrel)

This remake of Charlie and the chocolate factory
Is better then the 1970 movie. 1970 was just ok
October 30, 2017
It's the best movie!
October 14, 2017
It's a fun tasty treat for all! Okay, it might not beat the first, but it's loads of family fun for everybody. Really enjoyed, Depp's Wonka is outstanding.