Chasing Amy Reviews

• Aug 08, 2019

This third film from director Kevin Smith somehow finds him at his Kevin-Smithiest, delivering a small, personal story of meta-significance with plenty of in-jokes, well-thought-out dialogue, and relatability. The thing I can say most confidently about Kevin Smith is that there's no other filmmaker around who can simultaneously pull off immature and mature humor in the same movie -- nay -- the same line of dialogue, even. There's no other greater living testament to that fact than "Chasing Amy," I feel, for even though there'll be a line of dialogue or two that'll tickle the deepest, most innate parts of you, he'll follow it up with a passage or one-liner that'll really make you think. For every slur and off color joke spouted by Character A, there's always Character B to counterbalance and critique it with that trademark Smithian self-awareness we've all come to know and love. Spinning all of these moments together with a little bit of added drama here and there really does make for an effective flick. I was surprised to see that it still holds up after all this time.

• May 29, 2019

Chasing Amy maybe Kevin Smith’s most personal movie and that’s not a bad thing

Chasing Amy maybe Kevin Smith’s most personal movie and that’s not a bad thing

• Feb 17, 2019

I first watched Chasing Amy in 1997. While it doesn’t have the cult following Smith’s first two films, Clerks and Mallrats, have, his third go round is not only his finest work up to 1997, it may be his finest work ever. As with the aforementioned Clerks and Mallrats, most of the rest of Smith’s filmography consist of comedic films that all feel like they were made by the top student in the AV class at the local community college. That’s not a knock against Smith or his filmmaking. In fact, it’s this film school feel that makes Smith a genius filmmaker. His films have always featured a raw, unspoiled quality about them that make them appear like they weren’t overwritten or overedited. While Chasing Amy is still a comedy, it’s dramatic dialogue and real life subject matter set this film apart from the rest of Smith’s films. While Joey Lauren Adams puts in the best performance of her career, a 24-year old Ben Affleck puts in one of his better performances, but one not yet comparable to a 46-year old Affleck in 2019. It’s also too bad that Affleck chose to end his friendship with Smith. Especially since Affleck has appeared in six Kevin Smith films. Jason Lee rounds out the main cast and puts in his typical Kevin Smith-written performance as Banky Edwards, which is similar to Brodie Bruce from Mallrats. After not watching Chasing Amy for nearly 20 years, I can say this film is much better than I remember it being.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Aug 19, 2018

Kevin's best written movie.

Kevin's best written movie.

• Jan 07, 2018

Clever Mix of Allot of Heart, Comedy and Drama

Clever Mix of Allot of Heart, Comedy and Drama

• Nov 03, 2017

In my opinion this is the first bad Kevin Smith movie starring Ben Affleck and some random girl off the street that was in another Kevin Smith movie but I forgot who she was. I don't like romantic comedies and I thought this movie was cringe, I'm sorry Kevin Smith but the only good part in this movie is when Jay and silent Bob showed up and had they're cameo.

• Aug 25, 2017

You know, I'm disappointed with the film's misleading title..."Chasing Amy" is just a story Silent Bob likes to talk about and the name of a comic book Ben Affleck is revealed to have published at the end of the movie. And the lesbian lady isn't even named Amy at all. Joking aside, Chasing Amy is actually a pretty good film from the mind of Kevin Smith. Personally, I don't think I need to watch the View Askewniverse movies in order to understand or enjoy them. Besides, Mallrats takes place a day before the events of Clerks. Smith actually tackles the romantic story quite well, not simply because of the lesbian twist but also because of the limits of friendship. I laughed when Smith expected his audience to laugh and then things became heartbreaking later on in the film. I symphatized deeply with Holden as it turns out love doesn't always end happily and it's a lot more complex than all the unreliable media suggests. I wouldn't call the movie perfect but there's still loads of good stuff in the movie. Plus there's also the theme of the fear of losing a friend as Jason Lee seems to be trying to get Alyssa out of Holden's life, even going as far as to dig up dirt on her. Such nearly potent drama. And the scene with Jay and Silent Bob was my favourite scene in the entire movie. The moral of Chasing Amy is: love hurts. And not simply because of LGBT.

• Jul 20, 2017

:´( Me gusto mucho, creo que es buena película romántica para barón, debí verla en su momento y otro gallo cantara. La historia es redonda, pasa lo que debería pasar, y lo remata con lo de "Chasing Amy"

• Jul 16, 2017

Story about a promiscous lesbian and her relationship with a comic book writer. Kevin Smith does an excellent job of keeping the movie's dialog fresh and different. But I hated the acting in this movie. Jason Lee and Joey Lauren Adams were not believable in many scenes.