Chasing Madoff - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Madoff Reviews

½ June 29, 2017
A bit repetitive in order to reach it's length, but a powerful indictment of our watchdog agencies.
April 2, 2016
Will not bore you with boring finance talk but also sheds little light in how Madoff pulled it off. Harry Marcopolos' frustration over not being believed is understandable. His fear of car bombs and assassination attempts seems paranoid, the film shows no evidence anyone was even aware he was a man on a mission.
½ October 16, 2014
this is quite remarkable, the fact that this guy stole so much and conned so many people who knew banking incredible.
August 17, 2014
A nervously gripping documentary. Some of the negative comments from other critics duly point out that the film does not entirely focus on Bernie Madoff, this ignores the fact - which should be obvious from the title - that the film is supposed to be focused on the whistleblowers and their story, in particular, chief whistleblower Harry Markopolos, who felt his decade long pursuit of Madoff put his and his family's lives in constant jeopardy. That the SEC could consistently ignore the well substantiated claims made by Markolopolos and colleagues, not to mention the mere handful of prosecutions that came about, absolutely beggars belief.
½ August 16, 2014
It's a fascinating story that could have been better told if Markopolos had not narrated the story himself. It's okay that they made him the central character but it would have been a better documentary if more had been told about Madoff and the individual feeder funds, as well as the miserable failures working at the SEC. There really should be more investigations carried out on the SEC and the criminals that surrounded Madoff. I finished the film having a lot of empathy for Markopolos, he's clearly suffering from post traumatic stress disorder (for obvious reasons), he had been through so much.
November 24, 2013
Boy....talk about a bungled mess. How could the SEC ignore all the evidence for so long?
Harlequin68
½ August 11, 2013
"Chasing Madoff" is an insightful documentary, in more ways than one, about Harry Markopolos, a portfolio manager, who along with a couple of colleagues and an intrepid reporter, was the first one to notice that Bernard Madoff was not only up to no good, but was also in fact running a giant Ponzi scheme. Sadly, nobody else was listening, not most publications or most importantly, the SEC.

In this case, the devil really was in the details, as Harry could tell by the returns that Madoff was sending out that they were fraudulent since nobody consistently gains like that in the stock market, as the documentary also smartly compares Wall Street to the horse track without the watered down beer. However, too much of the documentary is left to empty style in going in circles around Harry's paranoia. But don't laugh, as at the time, Madoff was a very powerful man who may have been getting money also from organized crime. Still, no matter how much time is spent talking about him, Madoff remains a shadowy figure. I mean if a Ponzi scheme is a house of cards that would eventually crumble underneath its own weight, what was Madoff's planned endgame?

In the end, it would not be Harry who would bring him down but every other greedy bastard on Wall Street with the financial crisis in 2008. In any case, the role of the whistleblower could not be any clearer in society, especially when the system fails as it did here. Pay no attention to them at your own risk.
January 16, 2013
It's not so much a documentary than it is a faux-thriller, very clumsily executed with promising material that was wasted. Two thumbs down.
½ January 12, 2013
Problems I may have with it as a documentary film are overshadowed by the powerful story which, shamefully, I knew little about.
December 10, 2012
It's interesting reading the reviews after seeing the movie. I'm surprised at how many people wanted to know about Madoff. Who cares. What would have made this movie more compelling is a closer examination of the supporting cast. Why didn't the Wall Street Journal post sooner? Who were the inidividuals who ignored the reports at the SEC? I'm more intrigued by the why regular people participated in and/or ignored the fraud when they knew people were being hurt. I agree with Harry that he's not a hero, but when you're surrounded by people who don't, or won't, take a stand to do the right thing, he sure looks like one.
November 27, 2012
a compelling and disheartening doc
October 6, 2012
A compelling documentary movie and almost unbelievable that it took one man so many years to try to get the SEC to investigate the biggest financial fraud in our times. In the end, only one man went to jail. So many more should have. The financial industry in so many countries should be more regulated. But then, as is seen, even then when a regulatory body is manned by a bunch of fools, it doesn't matter.
September 4, 2012
Interesting movie. The story of the men who've tried framing Bernard Madoff for a decade. Sadly, the gov't nor the press would listen to them until the empire finally falls apart in 2008. One of the biggest financial fraud in history, a 50 billion dollar ponzi scheme led the man to a 150 year sentence.
½ September 2, 2012
The financial world and government make me sick. Greed is the ugliest thing in this world.
August 15, 2012
I was hoping it would go deep into why this all happened. Instead, it was basically people just whining about how they were not listened to.
May 15, 2012
Great story but just down right horrible writing and directing in this film. It seems to me that straight reporting would have been far more effective than this over the top, overly-dramatic film. But then again, it matches the tone of Harry's book. I don't recommend this movie.
May 8, 2012
markopolos comes across as an eccentric financial fraud Elliot Ness; while the Madoff case just affirms what we already think off wall street (awash with crooks) the documentary veers off course focusing more on the threats to markopolos safety, which was pure speculation and paranoia on his part. No facts or events occurred that markopolos was "in danger" but the documentary over uses this dramatic slant which pulls away the punch of the sterling work markopolos did and the abhorrent scandal and ponzu madoff pulled off. Full marks for heart, but too dramatic based on speculation.
May 5, 2012
This movie suffers due to its star Harry. The paranoid gun nut goes on & on about being in personal danger, despite no existence of a threat or any history of Madoff hurting ppl! Very dissappointed as I'd waited so long to see this.
April 9, 2012
Excellent, but I wanted to know how Madoff started the Ponzi scheme, archive interviews with Madoff and the big names that were involved and lost millions.
April 6, 2012