Children of the Damned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of the Damned Reviews

June 23, 2016
A bit of a confusing sequel, some new eerie kids show up. Are they good? Are they bad? Despite killing everyone in their path who dare to defy them, people still want to be their friends. I can see what message they were putting out. Would you kill something that was not afraid to kill for a better earth, and there's an obvious anti-war message, but still, it's a mess. Oh, and DAMN YOU SCREWDRIVER!!
April 25, 2016
Boring and a waste of time. Even the Village of the Damned remake is better than this.
½ October 30, 2015
Some interesting cold war ideas but ultimately just boring
½ October 13, 2015
good sci-fi schocker
October 1, 2015
Lame follow up. Less happens, yet it is somehow longer. The children are not creepy anymore. It's not just the white hair being gone, but the acting is horrible. They just act like weird kids. Not aliens or (in this movie) evolved humans. The most telling sign of this movie is the horrible dialogue exchange when one of the main characters asks the kids what they want:
"What do you want?"
"We don't know."
That about sums it up. A real let down.
½ October 31, 2014
CHILDREN is impeccably scripted, performed, and directed, with excellent cinematography, telling the story of a sort of arms race that ensues when some super-genius telepathic and sometimes children are born, possibly from outer space. Here the children are more the victims than the villains, and the story expands and expounds on its predecessor, tapping into fears of globalization, the Cold War and nuclear warfare, the collapse of tradition, and the shift in morality in the rising generation. It's a fascinating film with a lot to say and it says it very, very ably and powerfully. It's almost diametrically opposed ideologically to its predecessor, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, which only serves to make both films more interesting in contrast.
October 4, 2014
Discredits the originals premise of alien impregnation so I'm not a happy camper!
½ August 12, 2014
Lacking nearly every element that made the first "Damned" movie so memorable (the blonde children; the claustrophobic village; the near-omnipotence of the kids mysterious power; the stilted, unaffected speech pattern) "Children of the Damned" eventually plays out as bad melodrama. A sequel that, unsurprising, pales to the original. If this had been the opening entry, it's highly doubtful there'd have been a second.
June 5, 2014
Hugely inferior sequel.
November 17, 2013
As with a number of horror sequels the simplicity of the original is lost and it feels the need to convey a 'message'. It ends up being a bit of a mess but ultimately still quite an enopyable one.
½ November 2, 2013
I should have crushed you the first time I held you to my breast.

Six children are born from women who swear they were not impregnated by a man. The human race thinks the women are crazy, but they are telling the truth. What the women do not know, is that their children are alien babies. The babies grow up into children with the ability of mind control. They all live in the city and they begin forcing the humans they encounter to kill themselves or those around them. Can the children be stopped?

"Why are you here?"
"To be destroyed."

Anton Leader, director of Father of the Bride, and episodes of Rawhide, Perry Mason, Leave it to Beaver, Espionage, Gilligan's Island, The Virginian, and Hawaii-Five-O, delivers Children of the Damned. The storyline for this picture is amazingly compelling, gripping, and a bit uneasy. The action scenes are very well done and the acting was better than I anticipated. The cast includes Ian Hendrey, Alan Badel, Alfred Burke, Shaila Allen, and Martin Miller.

"What would you recommend?"
"Simple. Destroy them."

Children of the Damned is a movie I DVR'd off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this Halloween season. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this picture. I haven't seen the original 1960 picture but I can tell you this is leaps and bounds better than Caprenter's remake. Overall, this is a classic horror movie that isn't a bad addition to you DVD collection.

"I want you to suffer the way you made me suffer."

Grade: B+/A- (8.75)
October 29, 2013
Not as good as the first, but it's not bad. The eeriness is a bit stale, and the plot is rather slow. The kids aren't as creepy, The characters are a bit average, and the ending is decent enough. Not as memorable.
July 9, 2013
bad acting, boring story, not even close to the original
½ January 24, 2013
A puzzle wrapped in an enigma and so forth--Ingenious, subtle and brilliantly effective!!
½ November 23, 2012
great film, I thought it was a great film, I would love it on DVD, It was a great film, it starred Lan Hendry, Alan Badel, Barbara Ferris and Sheila Allen, it was a great film and it was directed by Anton Leader
½ September 29, 2012
Disappointing sequel to Village Of The Damned.
January 1, 2012
Beautifully made and strikingly ambiguous "sequel" to the creepy original. This time, the kids are not so obviously "evil" and while the revelation that they are evolved humans comes completely out of the blue, it is a nice touch.
The film looks fantastic, the sharp b&w photography is gorgeous and the script is witty and intelligent. The final revelation as to why the children are here is genuinely chilling. Recommended.
December 28, 2011
meh! it was okay i mean it was nothing special
½ December 4, 2011
Great but not as good as the original