Citizen Verdict Reviews

• Sep 26, 2008

Maybe not the worst movie I've ever seen, but way, way down there.

Maybe not the worst movie I've ever seen, but way, way down there.

• Sep 06, 2008

A great idea not done very well. I was hoping for another 'Private Life Show' but this movie fell very short in its execution. The lead guy's acting is as atrocious as his hair. Jerry Springer is surprisingly not that bad. I'd like to see a good director and a better script-writer take this concept on.

• Jul 27, 2008

Bad acting by 85% of the cast, interesting concept, not the greatest of executions of the concept... but still decent enough.

• Jul 15, 2008

really bad movie. if you expecting more like Runaway Jury, get ready to disappointed. The idea is good though ...

• Mar 13, 2008

Well acted with an intriguing concept, but poorly directed and edited with only a mediocre script at best. There are a LOT of unnecessary filler scenes and characters that were left in.

• Dec 17, 2007

This film just doesn't work. I am sure it was intended to be a more biting satire on reality television than it turned out. It comes off as more ludicrous than anything. The very od casting sparks some interest however.

• Sep 22, 2007

Crime goes unpunished, criminals walk free...

Crime goes unpunished, criminals walk free...

• Sep 19, 2007

"The People's Court" meets "American Idol" with a bit of "Survivor thrown in, with the new reality TV show from Marty Rockman (Springer): A real murder trail will be tried by a prosecutor (Mitchell) and defense attorney (Assante), and if the defendant (Degruttola) is found guilty by a vote of the millions of viewers watching, the governor of Florida (Scheider) will witness the execution. But can the justice truly be served through a medium where everything is stage managed and fame and fortune is the end goal of all invovled? If one can suspend disbelief to accept that a capital case could at any time in the near future be tried by popular vote on TV--and you have to suspend your disbelief, because this film is askingto be taken very seriously--"Citizen Vertict" could have been an excellent film, no matter where you fall on the issue of the death penalty. I say "could have been excellent," because setting aside the fact that even the film's basic premise is completely implausible in a world that appears to be no further away than the day after tomorrow--we're talking about a country where proud terrorists aren't convicted, and lawyers talk about how OJ Simpson was set up, despite the fact he admits to committing robbery--"Citizen Verdict" is simply too sloppily made to be truly entertaining. The story is full of holes and stray elements that are left unexplored or undeveloped, the motivations of most of the main characters remain vague even at the end, and not enough thought was put into costume design and story continuity. It's that last bit that really ruins the film. There is some very nice and stylistic cinematography that switches back and forth between what we are "seeing" on TV and what the all-seeing eye of the movie camera is catching, but the setup is ruined by "citizen reactions" that supposedly show the changing outlook of people over time... but they're always wearing the same clothes. I can see interviews happening at the exact same spot, but would the subjects truly be dressed the same? If the director had paid more atteniton to the little things, and if the script had gone through another draft or two, this could have been a good movie. The cast does an excellent job and the film is very neat sylistically, but it's just a little too sloppily put together to rate any higher than the bottom end of average. It's worth seeing, but it's not worth going out of your way for. Citizen Verdict Starring: Armand Assante, Raffaello Degruttola, Jerry Springer, Justine Mitchell, and Roy Scheider Director: Philippe Martinez

• Jun 09, 2007

Kinda weird. Well-done, in terms of production and acting. Worth watching.

Kinda weird. Well-done, in terms of production and acting. Worth watching.

• Jan 12, 2007

Good movie, nice political and justice critique. Unexpected and original story. Then why I rate it 3, well is the kind of movie that you will like to see it only once.