The City of Your Final Destination - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The City of Your Final Destination Reviews

November 22, 2015
Give them a break regarding the somewhat talky dialogue and bask in the amazing home architecture (particularly Pete and Adam's Bauhaus dream) and the subtle journey undertaken by Charlotte Gainsborough's face as she stiff upper lips it through falling in love.
April 13, 2014
Insufferable pretension with generally pallid performances in beautiful landscapes.
January 30, 2014
Slow as molasses. Stopped watching about half way through and went to bed. May as well, after all, the movie was already putting me to sleep.

This is one of those movies where about twenty minutes in, you just start thinking that the actors themselves must have made a great big mistake. You just feel as though they must be thinking after every day of shooting, 'when will this be over, and how quickly can I put this train wreck behind me.' Absolutely unwatchable.
½ August 18, 2013
Yawn. There is a good movie here waiting to be told, but it's not the one that they made. Omar is a horribly stiff and boring protagonist, Caroline is a one-dimensional cardboard miserable ice-queen, Arden is the flighty one who falls in love with anything that says hi, and Deirdre is an obvious mismatched bitch for Omar. This is painfully slow for no reason, from the get-go we know what's going to happen.
The real movie waiting to be made is the one about Anthony Hopkins' Adam and his paramour Pete (Hiroyuki Sanada). That is the one I would enjoy. His scenes aren't nearly enough, but Hopkins is the only reason to watch this, and oozes South American relaxation as well as anyone. The 25 year love story between Adam and Pete is the one that interests me. Everyone else I could leave for sure. Nice scenery only takes you so far...but sometimes you're just too lazy to turn it off, and instead you marvel and how it can be bad without being offensive, just a poorly executed idea.
½ August 8, 2013
Mostly unremarkably boring.
July 23, 2013
4: I could not help but be moved to tears at the end of the film. It wasn't so much the poignancy of the picture that brought me to tears, but the combination of its effectiveness and the realization that indeed this would be the last Merchant Ivory film I would ever see. Of course, Merchant died a while ago, but it was always a tripartite of Merchant, Ivory, and Jhabvala. This was Ivory and Jhabvala's last film, so now there is only one. Just as the early death of a Kieslowski or Ledger deprives us of presumably fruitful years to come, the departure of an Altman, Merchant, or Jhabvala does the same even if they had a fuller (i.e. longer) life. This is a rather fitting final film for two of the trio though. Many of their best films reached into the past of Henry James or Kazuo Ishiguro into a time when colonialism and the supremacy of the west was a given. In a way this film depicts what comes after, decades down the road when the descendants of these gods are forced to come back down to earth as the rest of the world catches up with them. They are living out of time to a certain extent and in the poignant and nostalgic past. It is a life apart from the rush of the modern western (and not just western of course) world. It is a seductive story and though I may be projecting a bit onto the film, this was my take on the situation anyway. An interesting and more fitting title than that of most pictures too. It's as if this is the last gasp of a dying team, and of a dying age. It is sad and inevitable. We all must learn to move on and deal with loss or perish ourselves in the process.
July 21, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
½ June 19, 2013
Even though this movie was star-studded, I felt that they were the only ones that actually carried this movie through. I felt more connected to the family of characters than the main protagonist. Laura Linney and Anthony Hopkins were, as always, the best components of the film. I felt a little disconnected to Omar and his mission. The plot felt a little corny and tiring after a while. But overall, the film was ok. The cast alone is a reason to watch this film!
May 13, 2013
critics 38% viewers 42% , I think it is one of the more thought provoking dramas ,it views like a great novel. Odd how tastes vary ,but that is one of the interesting characteristics of life.
½ January 14, 2013
Opulent visuals as usual from Ivory almost gives one to forget the slight tale of a writer who travels to Uraguay to try to save his career and, as John Lennon famously said "life happens" in the form of Charlotte Gainsbourg. Hopkins and Linney mail in their performances, but perhaps that's all that was required of them.
½ November 25, 2012
I found this little movie on tv one Sunday morning and it was a perfect slow Sunday AM flick. Nice surprise.
November 19, 2012
I can say I like this movie better than the Peter Cameron's original novel. Very artistic and literary direction of James Ivory is still alive at present. And this film is well cast. I felt proud seeing good performance of a Japanese actor Hiroyuki Sanada who played a lively perter of Anthony Hopkins.
November 10, 2012
Interesting cast of characters thrown in an unusual setting makes for a pleasant meandering ride in the pampas.
½ October 15, 2012
This has to be one of Ivory's most dysfunctional plot, it is somehow amusing, but not one of his top 5.
½ August 30, 2012
Uneven story that starts but never really ends, and bounces you back and fourth, but what is technically there is well done.
June 11, 2012
Lo que pasa normalmente con las pelĂ­culas que tratan de hacerse con altas artĂ­sticas-pretensiones... terminan siendo aburridas y simples. Te queda la nostalgia de lo que pudo haber hecho con un gran paisaje y gran elenco (con dos excepciones)
½ June 7, 2012
I really liked this film...Anthony Hopkins, Laura Linney and Charlotte Gainsbourg very good acting. If you like a good story with great atmosphere then you'll like this film. be warned though it is a bit slow in places.
½ June 3, 2012
Terrific performances keep you engaged in a quietly paced film about how a stranger's appearance at an Uruguayan backwater where five people live suspended lives changes him and allows them to move forward in their lives. Not for devotees of action films. Hopkins and Linney give their usual finely honed performances. Norma Aleandro, Hiroyuki Sanada, Ambar Mallman &Luciano Suardi are fine in support. Omar Metwally seems to play the straight-man for everyone else to play off from. Beautiful location.
May 13, 2012
Intriguing study in various shades of control and submission, and wonderfully delicate love story.
April 25, 2012
Directed by James Ivory, starring Anthony Hopkins, Laura Linney and Charlotte Ginsbourg -- that's all you have to say to make this a must-see film. The actors do not disappoint, and the story, though farfetched, is realistically told. The characters are fully developed, even as we wonder about their motivations and pasts (which makes me want to read the book). I wholeheartedly recommend this film.