Clear and Present Danger Reviews

• Feb 10, 2020

Shaky start (that awful music) gives way to a reasonably interesting dramatic thriller with some nice dialogue this time round (thank you John Milius). Noyce here, with the help of some of Dom McAlpine's work, lights and blocks some ace, rich, boardroom scenes and dialogue scenes; the editing is pleasant and well-paced. And the action sequence towards the end is a well-built up and solidly drawn. Even the drug cartel plot, something usually wrung dry from the cloth of cliche, is not too OTT. And the death of James Earl Jones' character is a strangely human and grounding subplot. Ford here also is slung well in the groove of Jack Ryan, and seems to hit that balance between recently promoted interim CIA analyst/director and action moviestar.

• Jan 21, 2020

Yeah, this is my favourite Jack Ryan movie over The Hunt for Red October, even though Tom Clancy really didn't like this movie. Fight me, bro! But seriously though, Clear and Present Danger makes the most out of its 2h20m runtime with great performances, a well-written story and thrilling sequences, some of which aren't necessarily "action" per se. What I mean by that is that there's one certain sequence dubbed the "computer showdown" which, as far as I'm concerned, is the best scene in the entire movie. It's tense, it's plot-related and I'm actively rooting for Ryan all the way. Clear and Present Danger treats its audience with maturity and respect and just might be one of the best '90s thrillers to date.

• Jan 19, 2020

They took a lot of liberties with the source material, but still made quite an entertaining movie. Very entertaining indeed.

• Dec 23, 2019

As a lover of movies and stories in general, I am quite willing to "suspend disbelief" and turn my brain over to the artists, and I do so regularly and with pleasure; to do otherwise would make it impossible to enjoy most of these works. Sometimes, however, I get annoyed because those artists get lazy. The key is not the absolute believability of a passage, but its relative believability. For example, if your movie is a cartoon fantasy, you have complete freedom to take me anywhere you want to go, but if it is a historical movie, you have much less of that freedom. A Clear and Present Danger is good entertainment that could have been very good if the director and writers hadn't made exaggerated choices in a few key spots. Those choices slapped me in the face with their unbelievability and took away a lot of my engagement with the film. An excellent Harrison Ford and the otherwise excellent cast are the best reasons to watch, and the serious themes underpinning the movie are another.

• Dec 20, 2019

Awesome movie...movies today need to look at the drama, arc and acting of this movie and patriot games to get back to quality movies.

• Nov 27, 2019

the best Jack Ryan Movie to date.. not as good as the book.. but better than 99% of other movies!

• Nov 13, 2019

Haven't watched in a long while.. didn't think movies started being this PC that far back. Joke of a story.

• Sep 03, 2019

An exciting and intelligent Jack Ryan thriller. Though it can be a bit dense at times, this film works and entertains when it needs to

• Aug 21, 2019

Just about perfect. A real good spin and intriguing. When this was made it absolutely floored us in how tense it was. Nowadays, they don't even try to act this way. This was good for it's time and still worthwhile. A good film. But, it's not quite as good as it's ending suggests. Almost perfect, but almost not quite. You should check it out.

• Aug 20, 2019

A smart thriller with excellent performances from Ford and Dafoe. If you love government conspiracies and 90s thrillers this film is a must-watch.