Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

September 23, 2017
April 2014
September 2017
September 13, 2017
With an unlikeable central character and a problematic plot, Steven Spielberg's UFO film may not work as well as his best efforts, but in terms of tense suspense building and wondrous special effects, Close Encounters of the Third Kind remains a minor science fiction classic.
September 9, 2017
I love Steven Spielberg movies. I really do. But just not really this one. To me this movie just got super confusing and I never fully became engaged with the movie. To be honest when I left the theater, I could think of many Steven Spielberg films that were much better. I just really didn't care for this movie. Not one of my favorites.
½ September 8, 2017
Eerie, intense, vivid, and emotional; "Close Encounters" is a wondrous must-see sci-fi classic that bears plenty of foreshadowing to Spielberg's future work, and the unfortunate distinction of happening to be released in the same year as "Star Wars" and was forced to compete with it.
½ September 7, 2017
It was lame long ago. Still lame, I'm sure.
½ September 7, 2017
"Why...?"

This film should have died years ago. Poorly written and extremely overrated. Music dominated the film because there was no substance to fill the void.
September 6, 2017
The 40th anniversary theatrical release caused me to revisit this classic and it holds up surprisingly well. Outstanding sci-fi film.

Grade: A
½ September 4, 2017
A fascinating slow-burn of discovery and the all-too-human urge to find the truth.
September 3, 2017
The visuals are obviously sumptuous, and Richard Dreyfuss puts on a damn acting clinic, but overall, I found this film pretty boring, with far too many scenes set in war rooms tracking UFOs via radar. I guess I don't see why it's considered a classic the way the rest of his oeuvre is but eh.
September 3, 2017
Even if it's more sloppily constructed than some it's predecessors (2001 and Day The Earth Stood Still), it's still an astonishing, breathtaking thrill ride with great special effects and sneaky satire.
August 20, 2017
Dreyfuss is Delicious as mashed potatoes in this.
½ August 17, 2017
Story about people who are psychically linked to aliens from space. The first movie I can remember watching as a kid. Still enjoy it to this day. Storytelling at its best because the characters are all so identifiable.
August 5, 2017
Awful boring, possibly the worst movie Spielberg has ever made.
July 31, 2017
Dont think any U.F.O film will ever come close to this
July 30, 2017
I don't get what the hype is about. Aliens abduct people since the early start of the century, including children, they also go around making people go sort of crazy and in they end they just play music that is never explained and everyone sees them as good hearted and benign. What about all the lives they've ruined? what were they doing with the people? what are they here for? what happens after? well dont expect to get any answers. not even the characters are likable, especially the dad that leaves his family for no reason. only thing that's good is the effects.
July 27, 2017
One of the original great Sci-Fi movies. A true Spielberg classic! If Star Wars does not hook you on the genre, then this one will. A film that I feel in recent times has fallen off the radar. Visually Visually it's outstanding but what really hooked me was the performances and the story. So fresh and original unlike any movie to date. A very serious and thought provoking movie which is why kids probably wont enjoy it. I also feel that the first 20 min did drag a bit but after that you get sucked in until the very end. This movie is loved by critics but for some reason your average person does not seem to know much about it, which is a shame as I feel anyone who sees it will probably put it in their top 5 Spielberg films of all time. Do yourself a favor and watch it!
July 4, 2017
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ June 12, 2017
A man is turning bat crazy after an experience with something un-earthy. His kids and kids can't cope with his stuff, like building a massive pile of dirt and other stuff inside the house, so they stay away for a while. At the same time there are other people that has experienced the same thing. Some is getting into it by personal reasons and efforts, other under a company while working.

A weird vibe here, everything is mysterious and you are left wondering for a long time. Nothing wrong with weird, but it does not match that well with Spielberg. It's like it's a bit much for him to bite over at the same time and the presentation is periodicly suffering from it. Not as cosy as many of his other films. Not scary, not especially exciting. There is charm here and it's extremely well crafted. Nice scenes and actors - not to mention the characters. Typical Spielberg features, really. It's cool to see director François Truffaut among the cast - I don't think he did many movies and I can't imagine why he was casted here. It works fine and it's a nice feature anyhow.

One of the poorer earlier efforts from the guy.

5.5 out of 10 five tone melodies.
May 24, 2017
This is a classic sic-fi movie. Family friendly too. Watched this my homies the other night and those bitches fell asleep half way through. Aliens are great though.