Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

February 24, 2017
Only Spielberg could take something interesting and make it so bland.
January 27, 2017
Best Spielberg movie.
January 14, 2017
I never 'got' this movie. It's incredibly directed but i just never enjoyed the story.
December 30, 2016
If the special effects and the suspense are there, the rhythm of the movie is just too slow. Many of those scenes and characters should have been cut off entirely . Now i do understand why it was groudbreaking in 1977 and why it is considered a classic , i just felt like the entire movie should have been shorter
December 28, 2016
Boring as hell, effects good, ending good with aliens, they just ride off his him, wtf
December 28, 2016
Steven Spielberg is pretty brilliant. Movies like this, E.T., and Jaws still resonate today. Even though the special effects have improved greatly these films still live up to what they were back in the '70's and '80's. It's been a long time since I've seen this from start to finish and it is still impressive. Great movie!!
December 21, 2016
one of the best SF out there...still
½ December 20, 2016
Some skilled camera work and stunning visual effects, but I really didn't care for this movie. There wasn't much of a plot and the pacing didn't work well at all. Most of the film was boring until it got really weird at the end. (First and only viewing - 5/16/2010)
December 18, 2016
With an unlikeable central character, some problematic themes, and lack of emotional resonance, Steven Spielberg's UFO film may not work as well as his best efforts, but in terms of tense suspense building and wondrous special effects, Close Encounters of the Third Kind remains a minor science fiction classic.
November 16, 2016
It's pretty amazing that this and 'Star Wars' were released within seven months of each other! Close Encounters almost serves as a prequel to E.T., and is definitely a sci-fi benchmark, especially regarding special effects. Dreyfuss is good as the man trying to figure out what he saw (UFOs) and the vision they gave him, even if the goes a little maniacal in the middle of the film. Not too long, and with the final 30min spent at Devils Tower, you see enough of the UFOs, the mother ship and the aliens - as well as all the speculation, fear, tension and bewilderment beforehand. Seminal - definitely holds up after 40 years.
September 25, 2016
Outstanding Sci-fi that is actually quite scary. That's tense and bold in its approach. Brilliant.
½ September 14, 2016
I enjoyed this film overall but I think it's outdated and it doesn't hold up like other older films. The ending was good but I didn't enjoy the whole music sounds "sillyness", to me, that's the weakest part of the movie. It's still very enjoyable though but I don't think it's a masterpiece like others do.
September 9, 2016
I've never been overwhelmingly impressed with this movie...
September 4, 2016
A snapshot of the late 20th century's obsession with UFO's, told with true cinematic panache by Steven Spielberg. The Director's Cut (not the Special Edition) is the version to watch if you have the choice. Truly breathtaking.
½ August 28, 2016
Came out the same year as Star Wars - what a year for sci-fi! Other than Jaws, Dreyfuss' best movie. 4.5 stars because of the super slow part when Dreyfuss' character was building Devil's Tower in his living room.
August 23, 2016
I don't believe in Aliens nor UFO's. It is interesting though the old fascination people had with otherworldy beings back in the day. Over the years in cinema we've seen the scary, the silly and downright intriguing portrayals of aliens. Close encounters of the third kind tackles peoples extreme interest in the idea and the effects it has on others. Steven Spielberg directs a film that showcases the nest stage in his directing evolution.
A small town of Indiana is about to experience the most unusual event of their lives. This movie's main character Roy is a citizen of this town and he has an encounter with a UFO one night. This sparks a potentially dangerous fascination with the flying saucer a fascination that also happens to a young woman who loses her son to that same flying apparatus.
the film has a veeeeery slow start. It then finally picks up after 20 minutes and gets real exciting. of all the films to identify as Spielberg film this is the most likely one to have his finger prints. Its made at such a high level. If Imax was around this would have been an even greater feature flick. The film has a very expansive and awe inspiring cinematography. I can tell this was one of his earliest big scale films.
the biggest motif in this film is fascination with what lies in the skies. Spielberg shows religion praying to what lies above them and Also roy's fascination with the UFO's that fly above him. this is fantastic directorial work from the icon. Richard dreyfuss was not bad here. Roy was a guy who graduatually began to lose it more and more thanks to the alien activity. Melina dillion was sort of like a mirror of him as she went equally as nuts as he did
The screenplay was great and well done just like the film score. I'm sure back then the visual effects were impressive but compared to what he did with War of the worlds it's a far cry. this did however lay down the groundwork which would be used in Independence day. Lastly the the music scene near the end was really weird I must say but the overall ending was good.
This is a pretty darn good speilberg flick. two thumbs up for sure.
August 23, 2016
I don't understand the praise that is showered on this film. I just didn't feel that it was compelling in the least. In my opinion the film is just plan lame.

The last part of the film nearly put me to sleep. Even what should have been an emotional reunion of mother and son didn't stir a single emotion. The 30+ minute buildup to the aliens showing themselves had already bored me to tears by that point.

If the only thing that was "groundbreaking" about this film was that it presented aliens as peaceful beings, well what else do I need to say.

For me the only thing that kept the movie from being an "F" were the performances of Richard Dreyfuss and Terri Garr
½ August 19, 2016
Spielberg portrays brilliantly the situation of contact with aliens in a very realistic tone that in some moments more than sci-fi feels like a drama, the obsession of knowing what's going on, an all time classic and certainly one of Spielberg's best.
August 15, 2016
CE3K is innovative due to Spielberg's depiction of friendly aliens and impressive visuals, but the film moves slowly and the acting does not do justice to its themes.
½ August 5, 2016
Dreyfuss was hilarious as he loses it. This was a cool movie with some good effects for its time. I thought the musical space ships idea was kinda stupid and the aliens look retarded.