Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

March 16, 2018
Close Encounters of the Third Kind from legendary director Steven Spielberg is a classic sci fi masterpiece!
½ March 10, 2018
This movie makes you want to eat mashed potatoes and build huge mountains with them. It does make you hungry. . hungry for more Sci-Fi action. This is a great movie that includes realistic aliens from another planet. Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfuss) does a terrific job and makes you actually believe there are aliens out there. This movie is realistic, because it puts Roy's Wife in a strain, but not just her, their kids as well. Wonderful movie.
February 27, 2018
Close Encounters is a fascinating movie. Its written beautifully. It unfolds like a mystery rather than a conflict. It is a film about wonder and awe and about being open to the spectacular. It is a magical film in a way that it seems only Spielberg films can be.
That being said, this is for me one of Spielberg's least human works. There is something about it that is kind of cold. Richard Dreyfuss's character cares more about discovery and exploration than he does about his own children, and that comes across as alienating. It seems to sacrifice warmth and humanity for the wonder of discovery. Melinda Dillon's character does provide some balance with her quest to reunite with her son, but something about this movie still leaves me cold. It seems to posit an either/or scenario. Either you can be a boring person who stays home and never wonders about the universe, or you can throw away everything to find out exactly what is out there. It is limiting dichotomy that is only slightly subverted by giving Dillon a motivation to find the aliens that is maternal rather than purely intellectually or curiosity driven.
As far as first contact movies go, it is certainly top tier. I would recommend this movie to anyone interested in science-fi, conspiracy, or Spielberg.
February 17, 2018
Great sci-fi entertainment. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 13, 2018
A movie that had a serious effect on my childhood, and started me asking the question if we are alone in the galaxy.
January 25, 2018
Story about people who are psychically linked to aliens from space. The first movie I can remember watching as a kid. Still enjoy it to this day.
January 3, 2018
Steven Spielberg has made one of the most intriguing, sometimes slow, sci-fi movie of all time. This is definitely in my top 10 favorite movies!
December 31, 2017
Great opener. Gives you enough information where you don't know completely what's going on, but you have some idea, enough to where the viewer is interested.

There's a good amount of foxy mom's in this movie. I'm loving it. The relationship between that dad and his kids doesn't seem that healthy. At least the way he reprimands them and threatens them.

I think it'd be an amazing experience seeing a UFO in person. I think it's beautiful how the UFO's keep going to these beautiful, desolate and spiritual parts of the world. Very well done sequence when the aliens are trying to get into the house. All the use of lighting and movement.

I can see how much of an influence this movie was to the movie 'Arrival'. The communication scene with the UFO's was like watching a light show mixed with a play. It's brilliant how they used hat seems to be an oboe and a trombone for the sounds. The effects used in this movie are grand. Especially the part where all the spaceships appear. All the people walking out of the ship was brilliant.

Spielberg has this amazing way of making his movies very heartwarming and endearing even if it's, especially, if it's talking about aliens. The parts with the little boy are so cute. Seeing the man hold his hand in order for him to walk down was very cute. And the dog getting slid down was funny. I really thought they weren't going to show any aliens. The first creature they show was pretty fucking terrifying. But the other ones were pretty cute.

Once again, Spielberg pulls off a family-friendly sci-fi alien movie that has heart and beautiful visuals and a good story line to follow.
½ December 29, 2017
It is so boring i put it on whenever I have trouble sleeping. Have yet to last more than 20 minutes before dropping off.
December 25, 2017

[Steven Spielberg]
½ December 22, 2017
November 10, 2017
Steven Spielberg nos entrega otra obra maestra (luego de "Jaws") acerca de un hombre llamado Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfuss), quien tiene un contacto extraterrestre que lo transforma y lo obsesiona.

"Encuentros Cercanos del Tercer Tipo" es una cinta profunda que medita sobre la condición humana y que, al mismo tiempo, funciona como una entretenida cinta de suspenso y de ciencia ficción. Está llena de momentos impactantes, los cuales son a veces monumentales (el encuentro con una gigantesca nave espacial) y a veces de una gran sencillez (Neary haciendo una montaña con un puré de papa) y está magníficamente actuada y dirigida. No por nada se le considera una de las mejores películas de ciencia ficción de todos los tiempos.

La cinta tiene dos versiones: la versión original, una edición especial de 1980 en la que se extiende el final y una "versión del director" de 1998 revisada por Spielberg, que es la versión que recomiendo.
November 1, 2017
What a classic of ?70s outstanding,Am glad I can see on a big screen
½ October 25, 2017
Not a conventional sci-fi, by any means, and precisely that as its main strength, Spielberg delivers what it is consider (by many) as his magnum opus, probably due to its original factor, since the idea is written delightfully and in all the original ways by the director himself, but also offering a visually striking and, in many respects, a thought-provoking humble film that'll provoke not just suspense, when it has to, but also amazement and satisfaction towards its developing and a great feeling of excitement that'll became something modern films of the genre would, oddly enough, fail to imitate.
½ September 30, 2017
Spielberg delivers a very good sci-fi epic. Dryfus and Dillon are both solid leads, but neither performance is that great. Effects and visuals are great, but the story has room for improvement.
September 23, 2017
April 2014
September 2017
September 13, 2017
With an unlikeable central character and a problematic plot, Steven Spielberg's UFO film may not work as well as his best efforts, but in terms of tense suspense building and wondrous special effects, Close Encounters of the Third Kind remains a minor science fiction classic.
September 9, 2017
I love Steven Spielberg movies. I really do. But just not really this one. To me this movie just got super confusing and I never fully became engaged with the movie. To be honest when I left the theater, I could think of many Steven Spielberg films that were much better. I just really didn't care for this movie. Not one of my favorites.
½ September 8, 2017
Eerie, intense, vivid, and emotional; "Close Encounters" is a wondrous must-see sci-fi classic that bears plenty of foreshadowing to Spielberg's future work, and the unfortunate distinction of happening to be released in the same year as "Star Wars" and was forced to compete with it.