Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

September 25, 2016
Outstanding Sci-fi that is actually quite scary. That's tense and bold in its approach. Brilliant.
½ September 14, 2016
I enjoyed this film overall but I think it's outdated and it doesn't hold up like other older films. The ending was good but I didn't enjoy the whole music sounds "sillyness", to me, that's the weakest part of the movie. It's still very enjoyable though but I don't think it's a masterpiece like others do.
September 9, 2016
I've never been overwhelmingly impressed with this movie...
September 4, 2016
A snapshot of the late 20th century's obsession with UFO's, told with true cinematic panache by Steven Spielberg. The Director's Cut (not the Special Edition) is the version to watch if you have the choice. Truly breathtaking.
½ August 28, 2016
Came out the same year as Star Wars - what a year for sci-fi! Other than Jaws, Dreyfuss' best movie. 4.5 stars because of the super slow part when Dreyfuss' character was building Devil's Tower in his living room.
August 23, 2016
I don't believe in Aliens nor UFO's. It is interesting though the old fascination people had with otherworldy beings back in the day. Over the years in cinema we've seen the scary, the silly and downright intriguing portrayals of aliens. Close encounters of the third kind tackles peoples extreme interest in the idea and the effects it has on others. Steven Spielberg directs a film that showcases the nest stage in his directing evolution.
A small town of Indiana is about to experience the most unusual event of their lives. This movie's main character Roy is a citizen of this town and he has an encounter with a UFO one night. This sparks a potentially dangerous fascination with the flying saucer a fascination that also happens to a young woman who loses her son to that same flying apparatus.
the film has a veeeeery slow start. It then finally picks up after 20 minutes and gets real exciting. of all the films to identify as Spielberg film this is the most likely one to have his finger prints. Its made at such a high level. If Imax was around this would have been an even greater feature flick. The film has a very expansive and awe inspiring cinematography. I can tell this was one of his earliest big scale films.
the biggest motif in this film is fascination with what lies in the skies. Spielberg shows religion praying to what lies above them and Also roy's fascination with the UFO's that fly above him. this is fantastic directorial work from the icon. Richard dreyfuss was not bad here. Roy was a guy who graduatually began to lose it more and more thanks to the alien activity. Melina dillion was sort of like a mirror of him as she went equally as nuts as he did
The screenplay was great and well done just like the film score. I'm sure back then the visual effects were impressive but compared to what he did with War of the worlds it's a far cry. this did however lay down the groundwork which would be used in Independence day. Lastly the the music scene near the end was really weird I must say but the overall ending was good.
This is a pretty darn good speilberg flick. two thumbs up for sure.
August 23, 2016
I don't understand the praise that is showered on this film. I just didn't feel that it was compelling in the least. In my opinion the film is just plan lame.

The last part of the film nearly put me to sleep. Even what should have been an emotional reunion of mother and son didn't stir a single emotion. The 30+ minute buildup to the aliens showing themselves had already bored me to tears by that point.

If the only thing that was "groundbreaking" about this film was that it presented aliens as peaceful beings, well what else do I need to say.

For me the only thing that kept the movie from being an "F" were the performances of Richard Dreyfuss and Terri Garr
½ August 19, 2016
Spielberg portrays brilliantly the situation of contact with aliens in a very realistic tone that in some moments more than sci-fi feels like a drama, the obsession of knowing what's going on, an all time classic and certainly one of Spielberg's best.
August 15, 2016
CE3K is innovative due to Spielberg's depiction of friendly aliens and impressive visuals, but the film moves slowly and the acting does not do justice to its themes.
½ August 5, 2016
Dreyfuss was hilarious as he loses it. This was a cool movie with some good effects for its time. I thought the musical space ships idea was kinda stupid and the aliens look retarded.
August 4, 2016
This is one of those great films that I admire tremendously rather than I love. It is technically impressive and visually stunning, and the first hour of the film is riveting as hell. It is great visual storytelling and it had me in awe throughout. The special effects still hold up to this date, John Williams' score is imaginative and spectacular as ever, and I love the mystery element of its story, the not knowing of what aliens look like and their purpose of visiting Earth. What doesn't work for me is Richard Dreyfuss' character. He is so obnoxious and so unlikable, his character motivation makes no sense, and the fall of his marriage seems out of place and belongs to a completely different movie. I wish the humans in the film were more fleshed out and had some quality that I could root for. But overall, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a wonderful film full of film magic and awe-inducing moments. The second act is dull, but the first act is absolutely riveting and the climax is pretty spectacular.
½ July 21, 2016
One of the worst movies ever! What was Steven Spielberg thinking? He's a great director but this movie is terrible. To be honest I fell asleep at the end. I guess I just don't appreciate this movie like some people. I just don't understand. 1/2 star
July 16, 2016
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is a science fiction masterpiece. Everything about this film is perfection. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind takes the audience on an emotional and exciting science fiction journey. A Spielberg classic.
July 5, 2016
This movie is torturous if you think aliens aren't real
July 5, 2016
The Director's Cut takes the Original and the Special Edition and fuses them together into a hybrid which is the film that Spielberg wants people to see. He tells us in a short interview that he never wanted to show the inside of the spaceship, yet was pressured to by the studio (can you imagine a studio telling Spielberg what to do?? My how time changes.) in exchange for more $$ to shoot some extra things he wanted to add (the ship in the desert particularly, and the shadow of the UFO over the truck on the road).
½ July 5, 2016
Revisiting a film many years later can be risky: it can reaffirm your love for it but could also expose yourself to a reassessment that points to one's innocence having been replaced with cynicism. While it is still a joy to watch CE3K, I noticed more how the midsection of the film drags despite its simplistic narrative, Richard Dreyfuss' acting borders on maniacal and his characterisation of Roy Neary feels more grating this time round. His obsession that (comically?) drove his family away seems contrived in order to justify the film's ending and I can't help but think that this could have been better handled and written. Nevertheless, Douglas Trumbull's special effects stood the test of time extremely well (even in the scratchy print we saw) and John Williams' music is as enchanting and awe-inspiring as the first time you've heard it. Having just had his first major success with Jaws, Spielberg was still a young(ish) director but his confidence and flair is already on display here - and also his sentimentality, something that will get more overwhelming in the late 80s/90s. Scenes, now with hindsight, seem to foreshadow his later work: the train station scene is reminiscent of Schindler's List while the alien invasion at the Guiler's house could have been Poltergeist (and yes, I know he didn't direct it but his fingerprints was all over that film he produced); not to mention that this film is practically a rehearsal or a precursor to E.T.. While I can't say CE3K is Spielberg's best film (unfortunately, it wouldn't even make the top 5 for me) but in the age of Independence Day and War of the Worlds, its positive optimism and pioneering originality is undeniable almost 40 years later.
½ July 5, 2016
Just watched the Director's Cut of the film, which is considered the ultimate version of the 3 versions of the film. It looked fantastic in HD and holds-up well. The film is beautifully shot, Dreyfus is excellent, and it's an engaging and entertaining film. This is a must watch, seek out the Director's Cut!
July 4, 2016
Taking sci-fi into the next decade.
½ June 30, 2016
Just seemed kind of dull. But that's just my opinion. There's probably a good movie in here somewhere and I just can't see it.
June 14, 2016
Just watched this movie again and it's so amazing, particularly looking at the impact of it, how good it still looks! You can see how this movie led to ET later on, and Richard Dreyfuss is just awesome in this!!
That tune has always stayed with me and I will still go to Devil's Tower one day!!