Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

July 4, 2017
John Williams Is My Favorite Film Composer Of All Time.
½ June 12, 2017
A man is turning bat crazy after an experience with something un-earthy. His kids and kids can't cope with his stuff, like building a massive pile of dirt and other stuff inside the house, so they stay away for a while. At the same time there are other people that has experienced the same thing. Some is getting into it by personal reasons and efforts, other under a company while working.

A weird vibe here, everything is mysterious and you are left wondering for a long time. Nothing wrong with weird, but it does not match that well with Spielberg. It's like it's a bit much for him to bite over at the same time and the presentation is periodicly suffering from it. Not as cosy as many of his other films. Not scary, not especially exciting. There is charm here and it's extremely well crafted. Nice scenes and actors - not to mention the characters. Typical Spielberg features, really. It's cool to see director François Truffaut among the cast - I don't think he did many movies and I can't imagine why he was casted here. It works fine and it's a nice feature anyhow.

One of the poorer earlier efforts from the guy.

5.5 out of 10 five tone melodies.
May 24, 2017
This is a classic sic-fi movie. Family friendly too. Watched this my homies the other night and those bitches fell asleep half way through. Aliens are great though.
½ May 13, 2017
Classic Steven Spielberg in every way quite frankly and he is one the few directors who can truly pull you into the film thanks to great production, great characters, a magical score and majestic visuals which are enlivened by a solid script which the actors all nail in every respect. It is also great to see a film dealing with extraterrestrials that doesn't go for the usual destruction, mayhem and using them as any easy enemy to rally against.
April 26, 2017
A good movie that's a little too Hollywood for my taste. Not enough alien stuff
April 7, 2017
With an unlikeable central character, a problematic message, and a lack of emotional resonance, Steven Spielberg's UFO film may not work as well as his best efforts, but in terms of tense suspense building and wondrous special effects, Close Encounters of the Third Kind remains a minor science fiction classic.
March 31, 2017
A classic Spielberg sci-fi blockbuster.
The story is very well structured and executed and it is very refreshing to finally see a movie again where the extraterrestrials aren't the bad guys. The movie explores the concept of curiosity about the unknown and shows that non-human beings don't always have to be bad but that they could be just as curious and helpless as we are.
Richard Dreyfuss shows his great talent in a very good performance and it is his character that makes the movie so fun and easy to watch.
The cinematography is outstanding for a movie of it's time and rightly won the Oscar in 1978. So many zooms that help convey the surprise and curiousness on the characters' faces and wide shots that help show the landscape and the magnificent areas and gatherings of people.
Another point that should be mentioned is the outstanding score that perfectly underlines the movie's theme and scenes and is perfectly timed.
The direction in this movie, as in most Spielberg movies, is really good, too and gets the movies message across. Spielberg coordinates perfectly with the production design and shows why he is one of the best in the business.
To summarize all the elements go perfectly together and make this movie another of Speilberg's masterpieces.
March 31, 2017
A classic Spielberg sci-fi blockbuster.
½ March 24, 2017
Great movie, ending sucked me out of the movie but all in all great.
February 24, 2017
Only Spielberg could take something interesting and make it so bland.
January 27, 2017
Best Spielberg movie.
January 14, 2017
I never 'got' this movie. It's incredibly directed but i just never enjoyed the story.
December 30, 2016
If the special effects and the suspense are there, the rhythm of the movie is just too slow. Many of those scenes and characters should have been cut off entirely . Now i do understand why it was groudbreaking in 1977 and why it is considered a classic , i just felt like the entire movie should have been shorter
December 28, 2016
Boring as hell, effects good, ending good with aliens, they just ride off his him, wtf
December 28, 2016
Steven Spielberg is pretty brilliant. Movies like this, E.T., and Jaws still resonate today. Even though the special effects have improved greatly these films still live up to what they were back in the '70's and '80's. It's been a long time since I've seen this from start to finish and it is still impressive. Great movie!!
December 21, 2016
one of the best SF out there...still
½ December 20, 2016
Some skilled camera work and stunning visual effects, but I really didn't care for this movie. There wasn't much of a plot and the pacing didn't work well at all. Most of the film was boring until it got really weird at the end. (First and only viewing - 5/16/2010)
November 16, 2016
It's pretty amazing that this and 'Star Wars' were released within seven months of each other! Close Encounters almost serves as a prequel to E.T., and is definitely a sci-fi benchmark, especially regarding special effects. Dreyfuss is good as the man trying to figure out what he saw (UFOs) and the vision they gave him, even if the goes a little maniacal in the middle of the film. Not too long, and with the final 30min spent at Devils Tower, you see enough of the UFOs, the mother ship and the aliens - as well as all the speculation, fear, tension and bewilderment beforehand. Seminal - definitely holds up after 40 years.
September 25, 2016
Outstanding Sci-fi that is actually quite scary. That's tense and bold in its approach. Brilliant.
½ September 14, 2016
I enjoyed this film overall but I think it's outdated and it doesn't hold up like other older films. The ending was good but I didn't enjoy the whole music sounds "sillyness", to me, that's the weakest part of the movie. It's still very enjoyable though but I don't think it's a masterpiece like others do.