Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind Reviews

June 14, 2006
Spielberg's classic UFO film is the blueprint for the barely used naive, optimistic alien encounter genre. The reason why very few movies after this one even went this direction and rather blew up the White House instead is simply that it can't get any better than this. Starting out wonderfully mysteriously and disturbing, sometimes even scary, the film soon concentrates on Dreyfuss' character's own approach to the things he saw on the night sky and his visions to culminate in nothing less than the biggest Christmas three ball of movie history. This film simply combines all the assets of Spielberg's early work perfectly. Even the special effects still look pretty good 30 years later, maybe excluding the aliens. And John Williams' melody went down in pop culture history. A masterpiece.
½ February 4, 2016
This sci-fi classic has aged well, the graphics still look great by today's standards. But the story was slow and the characters unmemorable.
December 28, 2010
An enchanting film with great special effects, yet I feel reluctant to regard the aliens as peaceful and awe-inspiring since they do abduct people, even children - and it is also hard to accept the protagonist's selfish decision at the end without any concern for his family.
½ July 22, 2012
Though I understand how groundbreaking this film was for it's time, viewing it now had always been a little dull to me. The conclusion though is a breathtaking piece of filmmaking.
½ September 8, 2007
A man's life, indeed the whole world (even the French!), is changed when strange lights start appearing out in the desert. Spielberg's update on the classic B movie sci-fi from the 50's is cool for taking horror movie motifs and turning them into a source of wonder. Williams' score and loads of flashing lights do the rest and set the stage for modern sci-fi as we know it today. Independence Day is a direct descendant, as well as a direct response to Close Encounters.
½ May 9, 2007
I think this film is more known for introducing us to what would become Spielberg's style: foggy lighting and space-age stories. I found it to be rather disjointed, and that the climax was less exciting than I had hoped, but it's a movie full of dream-like sequences - many of them classics, now - that you can lose yourself in, putting plot second to pure scopophilic pleasure. It's outdated, but it's definitely a movie everyone should see once.
Directors Cat
½ November 2, 2011
Close Encounters is a completely backwards film in the science fiction genre. It is a groundbreaking achievment because of it's strong character development in which we see a normal person become the alien on his own world as he grows obsessed. The music isn't that bad either and the aliens have become iconic in the genre and are amazing to finally see after the splendid setup Spielberg achieves to create.
May 8, 2010
The pure creation of this film astounds me to the point where I actually cannot believe it was even made. As I watch this amazingly perfect sci-fi classic, I begin to realize and believe that there may just be another life form out there in the universe. Steven Spielberg was meant to direct this film. The visual effects for it's time are gut-wrenchingly believable, even though they degrade over time, the shots are extremely impressive, managing to get the importance of every scene perfectly, the acting is believable, and the symbolism is just mesmerizing. There is not, and will never be a better sci-fi feature. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is the pinnacle of it's genre. One of the best films of all time!
DreamExtractor
½ March 21, 2011
Steven Spielberg brings us a very real and unimaginable movie with Close Encounter, he is truly a great film maker. The film contains many mysteries and thrills and is a remarkable and breathtaking film. Steven Spielberg definitely assembled a fine cast of actors elevating the films strong story. Close Encounters is truly a film not to be missed and the visuals are stunning, the story combines Drama with mystery and Spielberg has crafted one of his greatest films. A must watch, and a true classic. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is a timeless classic. and Spielberg tells an incredible story without really using anything that great. I mean, the plot is fairly simple, yet so effective. Spielberg manages to keep you intrigued right up to the end, and this is one of the things that makes this film so grand. While using so little, Steven Spielberg plays with your imagination and thus he manages to captivate you on his journey as Aliens communicate with the human species. With Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Steven Spielberg breaks new boundaries of the Sci Fi medium. Both films have broken new ground, and doesn't use the usual cliche of Alien space invaders out to destroy the earth. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is a marvelous epic film told by a master filmmaker. This is one of Steven Spielbergs greatest achievements and has stood the test of time as a phenomenal classic of the genre. But one of the reasons the film holds up so well today is the great cast involved, Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut, Terri Garr and Melinda Dillon. Along with the great cast, the terrific story, and great special effects elevate this film as probably one of the greatest Sci Fi film ever made.
July 7, 2011
In science fiction, there are great films, than there are masterpieces. This is a masterpiece. If it wasn't for literally 3 shots in the movie, it would be flawless. No, really. Truly flawless. But 3 bad effects shots involving aliens have aged so terribly that it yanks you out of the experience. Which is too bad, because the rest is so insanely engaging that it's caused critics and audience members alike to declare the film to be garbage. I can overlook these 3 small moments and remember that the rest of the film manages to be an incredible piece of filmmaking in general. Even though the aliens are friendly in this one, it still manages to be relentlessly creepy at certain points. You know your movie is downright nerve-wracking when you can make camera shots in a house ungodly creepy when there aren't even aliens on screen (also, the abduction scene is a great exercise in suspense and terror). But the overall package is very well done. If bits of the ending were smoothed out, this would be in a tie with "Schindler's List" for Spielberg's best film (I'm dead serious about that). But as it stands, a very solid second place.
August 18, 2011
Spielberg pulls off something quite brilliant in ''Close Encounters''. He manages to make both a great study of a normal family and how after recent events it starts to tear them apart and also make a masterful science fiction movie. This is everything a Hollywood blockbuster should be and with interesting characters, an amazing score from John Williams, superb special effects and most importantly for me, a strong heart, ''Close Encounters of the Third Kind'' stands in my top 5 favourite science fiction films of all-time.
MANUGINO
½ October 15, 2009
We are not alone

Very Good Film! I was amazed on the special effects it had specially in the ending. This movie was done by the great Steven Spielberg which he filmed when he was just starting to direct in movie. This film actually won an Oscar for Best Cinematography and well deserved. Richard Dreyfuss really nailed his role and at the end you finally understand his weird acting through the film. The story might be at times boring and it makes you wonder about things but at the end all the answers and doubts are resolved and cleared. The ending is basically the best thing of this film. Filmed at 1977 incredibly so, just watch and enjoy, recommended to all.

Cableman Roy Neary is one of several people who experience a close encounter of the first kind, witnessing UFOs flying through the night sky. He is subsequently haunted by a mountainlike image in his head and becomes obsessed with discovering what it represents, putting severe strain on his marriage. Meanwhile, government agents around the world have a close encounter of the second kind, discovering physical evidence of otherworldly visitors in the form of military vehicles that went missing decades ago suddenly appearing in the middle of nowhere. Roy and the agents both follow the clues they have been given to reach a site where they will have a close encounter of the third kind: contact.
sergioogarcia
June 24, 2011
Even if you don't believe it, Ronald Reagan said: "That's exactly what happened". Incredible visual effects, suspense, sound effects, story, direction, acting. Some of my favorite scenes when the mothership answers and break all the glasses. And the alien in the kitchen. Spielberg work with kids like nobody else.
½ September 6, 2010
First of all, I'm surprised to find out that francois Truffaut was in this movie, I wonder if that's a mistake? Anyway, this movie is considered a classic Spielberg film, but I didn't care for it. The aliens in this movie are very mysterious and we don't learn much about them. Plus, the people are doing enough weird things maybe we don't even need aliens. Not bad, but not good, I felt this movie could have been better.
michael e.
½ January 2, 2011
fell asleep within the first 20 minutes, tried to watch it again, same thing happened
MeetMeinMontauk
½ December 7, 2010
I saw this YEARS ago and barely remember it. I should give it another watch.
movieguru12
April 24, 2010
An amazing & beautiful movie. Richard Dreyfuss gives us yet another there are no words performance :)
TheDudeLebowski65
June 21, 2010
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is one of the greatest Sci Fi films ever made. Steven Spielberg tells this awesome and spectacular tale, and it could only be told by a master filmmaker such as Spielberg. The film contains many mysteries and thrills and is a remarkable and breathtaking viewing experience. Richard Dreyfuss is terrific as Roy Neary. Steven Spielberg definitely assembled a fine cast of actors elevating the films strong story. Close Encounters is truly a film not to be missed and the visuals are stunning, the story combines Drama with mystery and Spielberg has crafted one of his greatest films. A must watch, and a true classic. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is a timeless classic. and Spielberg tells an incredible story without really using anything that great. I mean, the plot is fairly simple, yet so effective. Spielberg manages to keep you intrigued right up to the end, and this is one of the things that makes this film so grand. While using so little, Steven Spielberg plays with your imagination and thus he manages to captivate you on his journey as Aliens communicate with the human species. With Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Steven Spielberg breaks new boundaries of the Sci Fi medium. Instead of the traditional evil alien race, in Encounters Spielberg gives us a friendly non hostile race of alien beings. I personally that was a nice touch, and this concept has recently been redone with District 9 directed by Neill BloomKamp. Both films have broken new ground, and doesn't use the usual cliche of Alien space invaders out to destroy the earth. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind is a marvelous epic film told by a master filmmaker. This is one of Steven Spielbergs greatest achievements and has stood the test of time as a phenomenal classic of the genre. But one of the reasons the film holds up so well today is the great cast involved, Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut, Terri Garr and Melinda Dillon. Along with the great cast, the terrific story, and great special effects elevate this film as probably the greatest Sci Fi film ever made.
½ August 3, 2010
Spine tingling and masterful. Fun for the family while as interesting as A.I.
stevenecarrier
July 28, 2010
You think "Inception" was mindblowing? Try rewinding back to 1977 when Steven Spielberg released his science-fiction masterpiece "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". It just so happens to be released the same year as George Lucas' "Star Wars" (Episode IV- A New Hope, to be exact) and while Lucas' childish but fun film went on to be unfathomably popular, it's Spielberg's picture that is the more mature, emotionally complex, challenging, awe inspiring and ultimately extremely rewarding. Featuring some great performances and insanely good special effects (that still hold up in 2010) and one of the most memorable scores this side of "Jaws", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is a bon-a-fied sci-fi classic and one of the most enduring films from the 70s.