Closet Monster Reviews

• May 13, 2020

Great movie and a clear example how our early childhood experiences can profoundly impact our lives. Wonderful acting and writing.

• Feb 15, 2019

It's a difficult film to score. I feel torn. I enjoyed it and there are a few laughs but mostly the plot flashes quickly before your eyes from scene to scene, it feels uneven does not seem to flow. Talking hamster, Dad's angry character not developed, not enough back story or on-going story surrounding the Dad. Party scene, jumps to tree house then here then there, you catch my drift, then a contemporary house, isolated at the end, what? Eh? Great acting though and I'm no film critic. I'm easy to please but even I noticed the poor scene developments. All over the place is the only way I can sum it up, but a pretense for a great movie and worth a watch. It does touch on the hidden loneliness of hiding your true self, in this film the topic is of being gay, the isolation and frustration that comes with this. There's one moment I nearly cried but then before I had chance to it jumped to another scene, lol. But a good enough hour and a half.

• Dec 23, 2018

This is one of the more creative coming of age films I've seen. It is visually stunning, and it almost makes you feel like you're constantly in a dream. This movie is very unique in the lgbtq community, with the ending not being one of typical romance and happiness. It shows you literally and figuratively what this boy is feeling, and they make you feel it too.

• Sep 18, 2018

A colorful coming of age.

A colorful coming of age.

• Sep 17, 2018

Powerful Canadian film about finding one’s self!

Powerful Canadian film about finding one’s self!

• Jul 01, 2018

Entertaining, thought-provoking, and emotional, this movie is one-of-a-kind and I cried the first time I watched it.

• Feb 28, 2018

Something about this movie really struck a cord with me and grabbed me from the first few minutes. From the imagination, to really well done depiction of a parent's divorce through an overly artistic child's view, to tackling some scary moments from feeling alone, being mislabeled, and coming of age to a pretty horrific "right in front of you" hate crime. I loved every second, and a bad-ass soundtrack.

• Oct 29, 2017

This is independent cinema at its best. To turn a story about a boy growing up in Canada and elevate it by the cinematography, the music, the acting, this is magic. This film is art! Closet Monster will not be forgotten by the queer community.

• Aug 26, 2017

A beautiful, poetic and raw coming of age film. Brilliant storytelling bring out strong performances from the entire cast. So much symbiosis between Oscar and my teenage self. Connor is a gorgeous and able actor who embodies the angst and confusion of Oscar, letting us in, but never too close. Aliocha's Wilder, is the perfect, empathetic, first crush. So many good things about this film - soundtrack included. A must watch for any cinema-goer!

• May 22, 2017

Wow. I've rarely seen such a well written movie. This is really a case of life imitates art. This movies is truthful, honest and extremely insightful.