The Cocoanuts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cocoanuts Reviews

½ April 28, 2016
An ancient comedy cinema treasure
April 10, 2016
It's fabulous...something really magical about it..
March 15, 2016
Good first full feature, but it does get better from the wacky brothers. This one is quite pacy to begin with, but is a little laborious in its second part when the jokes start to thin out.
½ August 23, 2015
The first. Filled with mmortal promise, but the direction can't quite keep pace with rapid-fire comedy of the Marxes. Scene transitions lag, but every scene has a load of laughs.
½ August 14, 2015
just about as good as it gets for pre-code marx brothers
½ August 14, 2015
The Cocoanuts has plenty of hilarious zingers and routines, the problem is slow delivery coupled by the troubles of being an early talkie, not to mention a thin plot. Still, if you fast forward through the musical numbers, this should prove more than worth your time.
½ March 14, 2015
DID YOU KNOW THAT THEY HAD TO WET THE PAPERS IN ALL OF THE SCENES BECAUSE IT WAS AN EARLY SOUND FILM AND THE DIRECTOR DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE RUSTLING PAPER SOUND AND IT TOOK HIM TWENTY DAYS INTO FILMING TO FIGURE THIS OUT
½ October 20, 2014
Not as smooth or slick, but it was their first, so you can't expect too much, but it was quite funny watching the bro's play off each other.
October 8, 2014
The first groundbreaking Marx brothers mayhem.
August 3, 2014
This is the Marx Brothers' first feature length film. Like with all Marx Brothers movies, the plot merely serves as a platform on which the Marx Brothers do their schtick. Only this time around (well, first time around), the plot got too much in the way and it's kind of lame. This movie is not as fantastic as their subsequent works where they perfected how they do their brand of comed on-screen but it still has some good laughs and quite a few good bits. It's far from their best but Marx Brothers completists and fans will find something more than worth their while.
½ March 24, 2014
The Marx Brothers make their film debut (despite having made one previous silent film, it was only shown once and is now considered forever lost), in this decent comedy which has Groucho as a hotel owner, Zeppo as his assistant, with Chico and Harpo as con men. This film has some good Marx Brothers madness, but it lacks the energy and pace that came from their subsequent films, even the film that immediately follows has a better pace. Part of the problem stems from the film being made in the early days of sound...so the audio quality isn't great at times, and the whole film is static shots. The Marxes are in fine form, but the filming techniques hurt their energy and style...as do the frequent and pointless song and dance numbers that are not as humorous as things like "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" or "Hail Freedonia". Some good bits, but their next film is even better.
½ February 18, 2014
The Cocoanuts (1929)

This was our first view of the Marx Brothers in movie theaters. It may not have had the refinement of Animal Crackers and Duck Soup, but it gave us a taste of things to come.

Hotel manager, Mr. Hammer (Groucho Marx) is trying to keep his failing Miami resort afloat, even if it means flirting with a paying customer, Mrs. Potter (Margaret Dumont). Her daughter, Polly (Mary Eaton) is interested in an architect, Bob Adams (Oscar Shaw).

Hammer also wants to make a little real estate money with the Florida land boom, but can he bid low with the likes of Chico and Harpo helping him. Then, of course there's the femme fatal, Penelope (Kay Francis) who is working with the jewel theif, Harvey Yates (Cyril Ring).

I think that it's interesting that the Shakespearian group is actually putting on Cocoanuts in Ashland, Oregon, using some of the Irving Berlin stage music that was never put in the movie.
October 13, 2013
1933's Duck Soup Is My Favorite Comedy Film.
July 27, 2013
What I love about the Marx Brothers is that they never overshoot. There films are filled with slapstick and puns a like, but they never completely miss in their humor. This is my fourth film from them (Duck Soup, A Night in Casablanca, & A Night at the Opera). The only one I would pick this over is A Night In Casablanca, but this is still packed with laughs. I thought the scene where they were going from to room to room was way to long, and I didn't care for the music scenes. Unfortunately this started to lose me in the concluding minutes, but overall I liked it. Especially the auction scene, and the one before it.
July 4, 2013
The Marx Brothers first film and it shows. I'm not quite sure I understand why Groucho was funny, but Chico & Harpo were so much more talented.
January 2, 2013
Ett sprudlande löfte om kommande mästerverk.
November 30, 2012
The first Marx Brothers film and it's clear that the long years training and performing and honing their characters and act has paid off as each brother emerges here fully formed. Unfortunately in 1929, sound was very new and movies had yet to move beyond the "watch somebody stand still and sing for five minutes" stage, or the "watch these chorus lines slightly move, but synchronized!" stage of choreography. 20-25 minutes of this could very easily be trimmed, bringing this movie down to a tight 70 minutes of prime Marx Brothers comedy. This mistake would be corrected by the next film.

But when the comedy arrives, it's gold!
½ October 16, 2012
This was the first Marx Brothers movie. It's also one of the early sound movies. It's not as well made as the latter Marx Brothers movies but it was made it 1929. There are only few Groucho comedy routines. Lot's of dancing girls and a little bit of singing. The young women are 1920's era flat chested flapper girls. Looking at it from the 21st century when actresses all have breast implants looks strange. But that is what the style was in 1929. I found out that the tall actress was born in Oklahoma City.
May 10, 2012
"Think of the opportunities here in Florida. I came here without a nickel in my pocket. Now I've got a nickel in my pocket."
May 9, 2012
The first and best...

Mrs. Potter (Margaret Dumont) : "My good, good friends. If I could only tell you how rosy-hued everthing seems to me tonight. As I look into your faces, they're all lit with gay laughter. The whole world and everything in it is bathed in a soft, glowing luminous haze..."

Mr. Hammer (Groucho Marx) : "The old gal is stewed to the eyebrows!"