Coffee and Cigarettes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coffee and Cigarettes Reviews

½ May 4, 2017
Not particularly amusing. Not particularly poignant. Still, it's possible to extract meaning, especially if a specific vignette happens to resonate in some, mild, unobtrusive way. Is that really what constitutes entertainment to you? If so, Enjoy. For the rest... stop procrastinating and do your laundry.
½ March 9, 2017
Couldn't finish it. I don't get absurdism.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 13/8/04 (Fri)

The concept is original. 11 short segments of skit revolving conversations over coffee and cigarettes. I like most the one with Cate Blanchett playing a dual role, as the sophiscated Cate Blanchett and her white-trash cousin. It goes on to show how good the actress can be. I can hardly recognise the two very different characters are in fact played by the same person. I am not alone. As the credits rolled, a guy in the audience exclaimed, "Oh! It is the same actress!"

I also like the one with Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan. Steve Coogan is a rather good comedian, playing a movie actor who initially looks down on the humble Alfred Molina until he know Alfred knows Spike Jonze. Yup, they play themselves.

Ok, this is when I will gripe about the show. The concept is orginial and allow me to add that the performances are also great. But, the script is very short of brilliant wit. What a perfect waste of a good movie concept. It wants to be Quentin Tarantino-esque but churns out clueless nothings instead. The dialogue goes nowhere. Funny? At times, but it amounts to nothing really. Mr Tarantino is still the master at things like that.

Rating: C+
½ November 24, 2016
Casual as a coffee break and with Jarmusch's delicious offbeat humor, this unpretentious collection of vignettes in black and white is curiously entertaining and sometimes even hilarious, flowing by from one chat to another as its celebs savor their java and smoke.
½ April 9, 2016
I clearly didn't get the joke. Rotten Tomatoes says 65% of critics and 76% of the audience liked this movie, but it's simply not possible for ANYONE to like the movie I just watched. It's AWFUL. It's as though somebody decided to see how bad a movie they could get away with making. AWFUL. Don't see this steaming pile. Don't say I didn't warn you.
½ March 5, 2016
Wildly uneven, ranging from extremely entertaining to painfully dull.
February 16, 2016
Coffee and Cigarettes is very hit or miss, but worth watching. My favorite episodes were Cate Blanchett plus Wu-Tang Clan and Bill Murray
January 31, 2016
Totally pointless.
But, ah, there were 2 Cate Blanchett in the same frame from the segment .
January 15, 2016
More entertaining than it has any right to be, and surprisingly complex despite its simplicity.
½ October 5, 2015
There is something comfortable about Jarmusch's maudlin pace. Each vignette created that loose surrealism one comes to expect. I especially enjoyed the features of Coogan/Molina and Wu-Tang/Murray. The real prize, however comes in the end with a wonderfully serene coffee break between two elderly gentlemen discussing Mahler and fine wine.
½ September 18, 2015
Was this supposed to be funny? Insightful? Maybe I just don't get Jim Jarmusch films.
½ September 8, 2015
A series of super-cool and strange mini-shorts told around Coffee and Cigarettes. This has the pondering beauty and charisma that made Jarmusch a cult favourite, but it's nothing extraordinary.
August 17, 2015
It has the feeling of My Dinner With Andre except separated into an episodic nature. Some of them work and some of them don't just like the performances. The excruciatingly awful Roberto Benigni starts off the movie on a sour note as he does with anything he does but Cate Blanchett and Alfred Molina's sketches are great
½ August 3, 2015
Some were good and some not so much.
July 27, 2015
There are few things more enjoyable and sexy than smoking and coffee in chiaroscuro cinematography: so, naturally, I found this film to be a sheer delight. The richness and detail of black and white makes cinema soar, and Frederick Elmes' work in this film is transcendence. The dialogue is witty, but I could watch this film silent, or with a purely musical soundtrack (that would be an interesting experiment).
March 8, 2015
Poetry along the coffee-table, improvised by a interesting bunch of known figures. Some sequences amazes more, like Iggy & Waits, though it really never crawls into the depths of entertainment. What its means to be, I really don't know? But, in shacky caffein mode alongside with intoxicating nicotine stain, transcendence will not happen.
March 6, 2015
Self-referential and hilarious, this series of vignettes shows how much fun Jim Jarmusch can be.
March 2, 2015
I wanted to give it a second try, and I confirm my first bad impression.
To not know no one of the persons, playing themself, does not help. I only recognized Roberto Benigni and Bill Murray. Everybody else was totally unknown to me. And this is a main problem, this qualify this thing, and Jim Jarmusch as well, as extremely provincial, unable to see beyond East River, more or less.
I confirm my first judgement: you can go to a dentist's waiting room, and listen to the anonimous people speaking about their things: it is cheaper, and for sure much more interesting than to see and listen these unimportant persons speaking about nothing.
This actually is not even a movie. It is a collection of TV scenettes that the director tryed to make some extra money.
Only die hard Jarmush fans can find something here. I add one star to my original score, but do not ask me for more.
January 18, 2015
time has dated this experimental series of vignettes directed by Jim Jarmusch the concepts shockingly simple plays at times like a student film, ya gotta take the good with the bad with this one.
December 14, 2014
It's an omnibus movie in black and white consisting of 11 segments in which coffee and cigarettes are commonly used as a motif. The 7th segment 'Cousins' is surprising. Cate Blanchett performs double role as cousins but they look completely different. It's like seeing what makes her an actress. The second segment 'Twins', the fifth segment 'Renée' and ninth 'Cousins?' are also fun.