Coffee and Cigarettes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coffee and Cigarettes Reviews

½ November 24, 2016
Casual as a coffee break and with Jarmusch's delicious offbeat humor, this unpretentious collection of vignettes in black and white is curiously entertaining and sometimes even hilarious, flowing by from one chat to another as its celebs savor their java and smoke.
½ April 9, 2016
I clearly didn't get the joke. Rotten Tomatoes says 65% of critics and 76% of the audience liked this movie, but it's simply not possible for ANYONE to like the movie I just watched. It's AWFUL. It's as though somebody decided to see how bad a movie they could get away with making. AWFUL. Don't see this steaming pile. Don't say I didn't warn you.
½ March 5, 2016
Wildly uneven, ranging from extremely entertaining to painfully dull.
February 16, 2016
Coffee and Cigarettes is very hit or miss, but worth watching. My favorite episodes were Cate Blanchett plus Wu-Tang Clan and Bill Murray
January 31, 2016
Totally pointless.
But, ah, there were 2 Cate Blanchett in the same frame from the segment .
January 15, 2016
More entertaining than it has any right to be, and surprisingly complex despite its simplicity.
½ October 5, 2015
There is something comfortable about Jarmusch's maudlin pace. Each vignette created that loose surrealism one comes to expect. I especially enjoyed the features of Coogan/Molina and Wu-Tang/Murray. The real prize, however comes in the end with a wonderfully serene coffee break between two elderly gentlemen discussing Mahler and fine wine.
½ September 18, 2015
Was this supposed to be funny? Insightful? Maybe I just don't get Jim Jarmusch films.
½ September 8, 2015
A series of super-cool and strange mini-shorts told around Coffee and Cigarettes. This has the pondering beauty and charisma that made Jarmusch a cult favourite, but it's nothing extraordinary.
August 17, 2015
It has the feeling of My Dinner With Andre except separated into an episodic nature. Some of them work and some of them don't just like the performances. The excruciatingly awful Roberto Benigni starts off the movie on a sour note as he does with anything he does but Cate Blanchett and Alfred Molina's sketches are great
½ August 3, 2015
Some were good and some not so much.
July 27, 2015
There are few things more enjoyable and sexy than smoking and coffee in chiaroscuro cinematography: so, naturally, I found this film to be a sheer delight. The richness and detail of black and white makes cinema soar, and Frederick Elmes' work in this film is transcendence. The dialogue is witty, but I could watch this film silent, or with a purely musical soundtrack (that would be an interesting experiment).
March 8, 2015
Poetry along the coffee-table, improvised by a interesting bunch of known figures. Some sequences amazes more, like Iggy & Waits, though it really never crawls into the depths of entertainment. What its means to be, I really don't know? But, in shacky caffein mode alongside with intoxicating nicotine stain, transcendence will not happen.
March 6, 2015
Self-referential and hilarious, this series of vignettes shows how much fun Jim Jarmusch can be.
March 2, 2015
I wanted to give it a second try, and I confirm my first bad impression.
To not know no one of the persons, playing themself, does not help. I only recognized Roberto Benigni and Bill Murray. Everybody else was totally unknown to me. And this is a main problem, this qualify this thing, and Jim Jarmusch as well, as extremely provincial, unable to see beyond East River, more or less.
I confirm my first judgement: you can go to a dentist's waiting room, and listen to the anonimous people speaking about their things: it is cheaper, and for sure much more interesting than to see and listen these unimportant persons speaking about nothing.
This actually is not even a movie. It is a collection of TV scenettes that the director tryed to make some extra money.
Only die hard Jarmush fans can find something here. I add one star to my original score, but do not ask me for more.
January 18, 2015
time has dated this experimental series of vignettes directed by Jim Jarmusch the concepts shockingly simple plays at times like a student film, ya gotta take the good with the bad with this one.
December 14, 2014
It's an omnibus movie in black and white consisting of 11 segments in which coffee and cigarettes are commonly used as a motif. The 7th segment 'Cousins' is surprising. Cate Blanchett performs double role as cousins but they look completely different. It's like seeing what makes her an actress. The second segment 'Twins', the fifth segment 'Renée' and ninth 'Cousins?' are also fun.
October 8, 2014
Jim Jarmusch's set of vignettes was filmed over 17 years and tells the intertwined stories of many famous individuals, and their love for coffee and cigarettes. Every vignette tells a different, quick story, and underlies differences in culture, health, beauty, and age. The film stars everyone from Roberto Benigni to RZA, and though each section feels incredibly different due to the subjects in them, the tone is pure Jarmusch. Most of what makes this film special are the little moments that remain unsaid, or are very subtle. In "Renee" we watch a poor waiter try to engage with a quiet woman, alone at a table, but every time he starts a conversation she rebuffs him. It's a very low, quiet scene, but it says a lot about what the waiter wants from her, and what she's willing to give him. In "No Problem" two men have a conversation, and one of the men doesn't want to reveal his gambling problem, which is only asserted in the last few seconds of the short. It's these moods, these little incongruities that make this film an essential watch, and an enjoyable one at that.
October 6, 2014
Bizarre and bizarrer.
September 2, 2014
The WuTang/Bill Murray scene made it all worth while!